Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

radmonger posted:

I suppose I’m probably cautiously in favour of the recent reforms in Cuba that permitted the existence of family owned resteraunts and so on. Does that count? As I said, I don’t claim to be the leftiest person in the world. I generally think the rules of society should be collectively set by the people, ideally peacefully. I don’t particularly buy the idea, shared by liberals and communists, that there is some form of metaphysical true knowledge of what the right rules _should be_ that overrides that process.

As for the BJ quote, you might think it is factually wrong, or perhaps correct but unwise to say out loud because those misreading it vote. But what possible mental process would lead you to come to the conclusion that it represents a _liberal_ position?

It was an example of you being a liberal and more "oh cool, worse than I remember", although of course liberalism has historically been very compatible with racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Gonzo McFee posted:

It'd be very dumb considering I've already told you my opinion on why her analysis is worth dick.

If she has an article about how much work it is to do the type of work that stands up in libel court you really can't dismiss it because she's a lib.

I know several journalists working on this type of thing, not in Europe but still. This poo poo takes an INSANE amount of work. Sometimes literally years with months at a time of 12 hour days. And if you don't do it well you face utter financial ruin or worse at the hands of some total oval office and their smug satisfaction at making you suffer.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

https://twitter.com/JessicaFKeyes/status/1503346888715771904

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

jiggerypokery posted:

If she has an article about how much work it is to do the type of work that stands up in libel court you really can't dismiss it because she's a lib.

I know several journalists working on this type of thing, not in Europe but still. This poo poo takes an INSANE amount of work. Sometimes literally years with months at a time of 12 hour days. And if you don't do it well you face utter financial ruin or worse at the hands of some total oval office and their smug satisfaction at making you suffer.

Cool, her analysis still ain't worth dick.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what's the fudge situation

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

NotJustANumber99 posted:

valid to whom?

Anyone with a functional cerebellum.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Cool, her analysis still ain't worth dick.

Luckily she doesn't have to make it stand up in court, just her facts.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Anyone with a bit of legal knowledge know what the deal is with salvaging stuff from skips? The advice I've found has ranged from 'it's still the owners' to 'its considered to be abandoned so help yourself'.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Same as salvaging stuff from someone's bin. Salvaging their bank statements and utility bills for example.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Anarchists, still great. Police, still have a primary function of protecting property rights of the haves. Predictable outcome but still enraging.

Failing to oppose the Coalition anti-squatting law is one of those poo poo policies of the Miliband years.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

There's energy here. We have to use it.

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1503393229982605320

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

It's one tweet. I don't think that we are going to see anything larger than a few cross words over the next few weeks. I'd love to be wrong ofc, but I think the best we can hope for is that some of the more Liberal areas become a bit more lefty in general.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Josef bugman posted:

It's one tweet. I don't think that we are going to see anything larger than a few cross words over the next few weeks. I'd love to be wrong ofc, but I think the best we can hope for is that some of the more Liberal areas become a bit more lefty in general.

We'll have to see - it might get picked in the mainstream press as an excuse to publish glossy photos of riot police (which they love) and that could feed the narrative of "why are there fifty loving police around a single squat, and I can't get anyone to investigate my actual burglary" which would be a good thing.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

The imagery next to this https://twitter.com/jonlis1/status/1503282346778320897.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
E: never mind, was being an arse and there wasn’t any need

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 14, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Ahh okay so that's the reasoning behind Abramovich specifically getting sanctioned recently:

BBC Panorama: Roman Abramovich: New evidence highlights corrupt deals

BBC posted:

The Chelsea owner made billions after buying an oil company from the Russian government in a rigged auction in 1995.

Mr Abramovich paid around $250m (£190m) for Sibneft, before selling it back to the Russian government for $13bn in 2005.

His lawyers say there is no basis for alleging he has amassed very substantial wealth through criminality.

The Russian billionaire was sanctioned by the UK government last week because of his links to Russian President Vladimir Putin.

BBC Panorama has obtained a document that is thought to have been smuggled out of Russia.

The information was given to the programme by a confidential source, who says it was secretly copied from files held on Mr Abramovich by Russian law enforcement agencies.

The BBC cannot verify that, but checks with other sources in Russia have backed up many of the details in the five-page document.

My 'definitely not CIA' ordinary Russian sources who get to copy and verify secret Russian files on an oligarch.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 14, 2022

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what's the fudge situation

Watch this space- sales opening this evening!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Private Speech posted:

My 'definitely not CIA' t-shirt is raising a lot of questions already answered by the shirt

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

kecske posted:

Anyone with a bit of legal knowledge know what the deal is with salvaging stuff from skips? The advice I've found has ranged from 'it's still the owners' to 'its considered to be abandoned so help yourself'.

Where is the skip located? Public or private land?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jakabite posted:

E: never mind, was being an arse and there wasn’t any need

Never saw it but never apologise for being rude online, it's what it's for. Never be kind online.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Never saw it but never apologise for being rude online, it's what it's for. Never be kind online.

Usually when I retract posts like that is less about being nice and more just a sort of dawning realisation that do I really want to be stood here bollock naked kicking this hornet's nest?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I had to psych myself up a bit for the last couple days on here. Sometimes it isn't worth it, sometimes it is.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

New Fudge Released!

Hey guys! I know it’s been pretty quiet on the caramelised-sugar based goodies front for the past month or so- I caught Covid in February which obviously made me shut things down for a bit, then have had back to back events and markets up till now. Busy times!

However now I’m able to settle a bit back into my normal routine, and am very /very/ happy to announce my latest collection of flavours.

I’m also running a competition at the moment- it’s very simple. Drop by my Facebook page ( fb.me/fudjit ) and comment on the completion post with a flavour suggestion. I’ll be picking one next week to make, and the winner will receive a free selection box. Simple as!

Current flavours

Yoghurt
- A result of mad science experiments into seeing what other dairy products I can use to make fudge, this is a firmer type- rather like Scottish tablet, with a delicious yoghurt tang at the back end of the flavour burst!
Gilded Rose - We went fancy with this one- it was meant to be our valentines special before the plague shut that down. Rose flavoured fudge decorated with golden lustre; the flavour is like Turkish delight, but with a creamy dairy finish. Great for Mother’s Day!
Pretzelicious - Making its return after nearly a year! Crunchy pretzels are surrounded by a slightly salted fudge for an amazing set of flavour and texture combos- sweet/salt and crunch/smooth makes for a lovely mouthful!
Vanilla
Daimomite
Strawberry Milkshake
Unicorn Barf
Salted Caramel
Veganilla
VeGinger

All stock is live at https://www.fudjit.co.uk and costs £3.50 + p&p for each 100g bar. And as always, use the goon code ‘roastbeefisbest’ to get five for four at checkout.

Get fudged!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Usually when I retract posts like that is less about being nice and more just a sort of dawning realisation that do I really want to be stood here bollock naked kicking this hornet's nest?

We fear no posts in this dojo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
BoJo's Solo Yoyo Mojo Dojo, Soho

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

kecske posted:

As a recent filler of a skip, you'd have been doing a favour by taking stuff out. Means more room.
Filling them has a surprising amount of skill to it so don't stir up the contents too much, don't leave a mess and absolutely don't put anything in.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

More people having a moment.

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1503322673656614917

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

kecske posted:

It's tricky, because the stuff in a skip remains the property of the owner until the skip company comes to pick it up, then it becomes the property of the skip company. So legally you've no right whatsoever to take anything in the skip, and if the stuff has some resale value then it's not impossible the owner might even have contracted with the skip company on that basis (e.g. if there's a lot of insulated copper wire in there, some scrap dealers will actually offer to buy it or at least hire the skip for free, ditto electronics waste and so on) so while in most circumstances the owners won't give a poo poo about people taking stuff out of there in some cases they definitely will care, maybe even enough to ring the police or at least come out and shout at you.

(Note: not a lawyer, just someone who has rescued stuff from skips in the past - seriously in 2002 you could have set up your own data centre if you knew which skips to poke around in)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

kecske posted:

We could use a good appeal case (or a change in the law) to clarify this point, as it's not entirely clear. My assumption for the time being is that whatever's in there belongs to whoever owns the skip, as they've arranged to receive it and it's in their possession and control. Depending on the exact situation, there may be an argument that it also still belongs to the original owner.

In practice, you're probably okay as long as you're not taking something that the skip owner might object to, such as if it has scrap or recycling value. (You could always try asking if they mind before helping yourself.) If through some extremely unlikely/unfortunate set of circumstances you end up sitting next to me, then you probably have a good shot at running "at the time, I honestly believed that they wouldn't have minded me taking it" as a defence.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PeteKennedy/status/1503494282077945860

:gary:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

thats bullshit

imagine having to be awake through all that nonsense

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If that's where you're at then why not just arrest the guys with the cameras? :confused:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

TACD posted:

If that's where you're at then why not just arrest the guys with the cameras? :confused:

They aren't openly arresting foreign media like that, just yet....

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Lord Young there. Former head of the CWU, current board member of the LGB alliance...

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PhillipsBarrie/status/1503641935159902208

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/TulipSiddiq/status/1503666916971401217

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Hey Iran wanna sell some oil?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Hey Iran wanna sell some oil?

O, thou cynic!
Naturally the pressing needs of the UK to source alternative supplies has absolutely nothing to do with it. Ahem.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The timing is just a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All down to Johnson's masterful negotiating strategy of waiting for the rest of the world to poo poo its pants badly enough.