Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The Maroon Hawk posted:

If I recall correctly this one also gives you a very cool ability that basically lets you bypass like half of Hyrule Castle when you get there

It does, but Hyrule castle is great and worth exploring once you get inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
You guys rule, thanks! I'm so happy I finally got my head screwed on right for this game.

Not sure how I missed the stealth armor at kakariko village.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

It does, but Hyrule castle is great and worth exploring once you get inside.

Very true, just throwing it out there for anyone that just wants to get to Ganon

The music is still probably my favorite track in the game

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Once I got the climber's gear I basically never took it off except for certain very specific situations

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

people always say weapon durability is good because it forces you to switch weapons and i still dont understand it. i cant think of any instance where being forced to switch weapons actually improved the game for me. 90% of the time i switched to a weapon thats nearly identical and another 9% of the time i switched to a different weapon and did the same thing i was already doing

i was already using different weapons for different situations like using spears on horseback or greatswords for stealth attacks and that was cool instead of lame

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I finally found that rabbit mask that lets you climb sideways quicker and that's quite a specific ability.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

cuntman.net posted:

people always say weapon durability is good because it forces you to switch weapons and i still dont understand it. i cant think of any instance where being forced to switch weapons actually improved the game for me. 90% of the time i switched to a weapon thats nearly identical and another 9% of the time i switched to a different weapon and did the same thing i was already doing

i was already using different weapons for different situations like using spears on horseback or greatswords for stealth attacks and that was cool instead of lame

It's actually more because it lets the game continue using weapons as rewards.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

thats even worse

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

You HAVE to run Hyrule Castle just for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g3gWQ5XN30

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

nrook posted:

But the mechanics of BotW drive the player to use every type of weapon in the game

I agree except there's a grand total of 4 different types of weapons sans bow and there's just a ton of reskins that mean nothing other than different damage values, so battles don't significantly change.

nrook posted:

Elden Ring do the opposite: the player is encouraged to use as few weapons as they can get away with, since they can only afford to upgrade so many.

This poo poo I hate though, not being able to use certain weapons because I'm not specced right does nothing to add to the experience. It's lame rear end archaic RPG poo poo.

Amppelix posted:

They're shamelessly reusing every single asset they can

Which assets are being reused because I haven't seen anything from Bloodborne or Sekiro? I have heard couple familiar sounds though but those things are staples of their games.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The Bloop posted:

Once I got the climber's gear I basically never took it off except for certain very specific situations

Climber's gear is pretty great but unfortunately scattered around in a bunch of shrines. Usually way up high so if you like climbing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sigher posted:

This poo poo I hate though, not being able to use certain weapons because I'm not specced right does nothing to add to the experience. It's lame rear end archaic RPG

It's also not true in the slightest. You get eventual access to unlimited upgrade materials for all but the final rank tier. You can respec 100% using some rare item there's 10-15 in game. People are respeccing their characters 50 hours in because they want to use new weapons they find or go from all melee to all sorcery then changing again if they want to cheese boss fights easier.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I killed a Hinox on a land bridge tonight and it ruled :2bong:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

sigher posted:

Which assets are being reused because I haven't seen anything from Bloodborne or Sekiro? I have heard couple familiar sounds though but those things are staples of their games.
animations, sound effects, models (touched up and/or slightly reworked in a lot of cases) probably lots of environmental textures. the stone imps found in catacombs have the same attack patterns as the hooded thralls from Dark Souls 3 and their animations are only slightly tweaked to fit the new model, for example.

etc. and yeah almost all of it isn't just reused without any changes but more iterated on, like how lots of weapon attack animations are 90% identical to DS3 but clearly distinctly a bit smoother (and there's now combo finisher animations)

what i was getting at is that elden ring is an extremely iterative game on what came before which is a lot less expensive on development resources than the type of total reset they did with botw.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Climber's gear is pretty great but unfortunately scattered around in a bunch of shrines. Usually way up high so if you like climbing.

Not really, the first piece is on the way from the plateau to the dueling peaks stable, the second piece is in the lanayru mountains, but it's a shrine quest you get pointed to from Hateno village, and the third piece is on that tiny island in the necluda sea, which is visible and accessible from very near the second piece, or from hateno beach, which you get pointed to by another quest in hateno village.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

pentyne posted:

It's also not true in the slightest. You get eventual access to unlimited upgrade materials for all but the final rank tier. You can respec 100% using some rare item there's 10-15 in game. People are respeccing their characters 50 hours in because they want to use new weapons they find or go from all melee to all sorcery then changing again if they want to cheese boss fights easier.

Yes but having to respec anything or build your character a certain way just to equip and use something is dogshit, just let me use it. Make it so the damage output doesn't scale properly to my stats but still allows me to use it. The most deflating thing that happened to me in Elden Ring so far was finding a whip a and not being able to use it for the next hour because I didn't have enough of something, I forgot which stat it was. It's bad and dumb.

Amppelix posted:

animations, sound effects, models (touched up and/or slightly reworked in a lot of cases) probably lots of environmental textures. the stone imps found in catacombs have the same attack patterns as the hooded thralls from Dark Souls 3 and their animations are only slightly tweaked to fit the new model, for example.

etc. and yeah almost all of it isn't just reused without any changes but more iterated on, like how lots of weapon attack animations are 90% identical to DS3 but clearly distinctly a bit smoother (and there's now combo finisher animations)

what i was getting at is that elden ring is an extremely iterative game on what came before which is a lot less expensive on development resources than the type of total reset they did with botw.

That's interesting, I never considered the animations but yeah, the classic double door opening and walking through a Fog Wall are straight up a decade old.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

sigher posted:

Yes but having to respec anything or build your character a certain way just to equip and use something is dogshit, just let me use it. Make it so the damage output doesn't scale properly to my stats but still allows me to use it. The most deflating thing that happened to me in Elden Ring so far was finding a whip a and not being able to use it for the next hour because I didn't have enough of something, I forgot which stat it was. It's bad and dumb.

Growing your character to be able to use new abilities/items is a cornerstone of roleplaying games so I'm not sure how it's bad or dumb. At least it's more flexible than some RPGs where you're essentially locked into a class and "sorry Mages can't use flails" which IS bad and dumb.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

jisforjosh posted:

Growing your character to be able to use new abilities/items is a cornerstone of roleplaying games so I'm not sure how it's bad or dumb. At least it's more flexible than some RPGs where you're essentially locked into a class and "sorry Mages can't use flails" which IS bad and dumb.

Completely unrelated, but no it's not dumb that games where you start with a specific class, say a mage, is restricted to what kind of equipment they can use. You picked a mage, you don't get to make a warrior. If you want a warrior, you are free to pick a warrior at character creation. If all classes can use all equipment and cast all spells, then why even bother having "classes" to begin with.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Completely unrelated, but no it's not dumb that games where you start with a specific class, say a mage, is restricted to what kind of equipment they can use. You picked a mage, you don't get to make a warrior. If you want a warrior, you are free to pick a warrior at character creation. If all classes can use all equipment and cast all spells, then why even bother having "classes" to begin with.

This is why I personally don't play video "role-playing" games even though I enjoyed actual RPGs (AD&D, et al.) when I was younger. There's a huge amount of management that I don't mind when I'm playing the same character for months or years with friends, but when it's just me and the computer I want to run around and have fun, not consult skill trees or worry about whether my character is optimized.

Which isn't to say that any of those things are bad, different people can like different things, etc., I just personally don't get the appeal. Guess there are also a ton of rabid Eve Online fans out there too, so for some people administrative work must hold recreational appeal.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

To give you a starting stat configuration? Why put limitations on a role playing game?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

To give you a starting stat configuration? Why put limitations on a role playing game?

The obvious implication is that they learned to use magic instead of complex or difficult weapons. Unless you want to "roleplay" spending years training with weapons during your adventure, those skills got learned before you started.

Obviously this doesn't apply to every game, but also "game balance" is usually reason enough.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cojawfee posted:

Because when done right, limitations act as consequences of your choices, which is what the main appeal of an RPG is in the first place. Whether it’s the choice of character builds or narrative decision making, things should have a trade off. Ideally, you feel rewarded for that trade off.

That said, it’s not a thing Zelda should ever aspire to, at least the mainline games. Zelda is best played as an exploration and puzzle solving game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Loucks posted:

This is why I personally don't play video "role-playing" games even though I enjoyed actual RPGs (AD&D, et al.) when I was younger. There's a huge amount of management that I don't mind when I'm playing the same character for months or years with friends, but when it's just me and the computer I want to run around and have fun, not consult skill trees or worry about whether my character is optimized.

Which isn't to say that any of those things are bad, different people can like different things, etc., I just personally don't get the appeal. Guess there are also a ton of rabid Eve Online fans out there too, so for some people administrative work must hold recreational appeal.

There are plenty of RPGs where optimizing your character isn't at all necessary or required. Some of them do, but you'd find plenty that are fine letting you just romp around picking whatever. I rarely have the patience to optimize anything, and I get along fine in RPGs.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I definitely get the complaint about being totally locked off from using other weapons at all. I mean use it with a stat penalty would make sense.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Winifred Madgers posted:

I definitely get the complaint about being totally locked off from using other weapons at all. I mean use it with a stat penalty would make sense.

In real life the stat penalty for using a flail in combat with no training is that you murder yourself immediately

Yeah I realize jrpgs are nothing at all like real life, and shouldn't be, I'm just amusing myself thinking about someone like an accountant just picking up a super high difficulty weapon and clobbering themselves instantly

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Path of Exile is interesting in character creation in that your class determines your starting location on the giant gently caress off skill tree, and each classes' ascendency choices allow them to take advantage or specialize in various mechanics - but you do absolutely have novel builds resulting in weird combinations you wouldn't normally think of.

Anyway breath of the wild is very good, I found another shrine last night but had to hit the hay before the end of it. Not sure what to do with these Hinox teeth. I threw a couple random monster parts into a cooking pot a few days ago but just got a lovely elixir that gave a small stealth buff and no health :discourse:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I always found elixirs underwhelming. Some of of my least favorite things about botw is how the lack of a recipe book discourages the use of rare ingredients and there’s no reward for creativity for most recipes that you can’t get from a pile of meat or single durian.

There’s a good gamefaqs (lol) guide specifically on cooking that lays out the heart/buff/duration for recipe ingredients. They do have some logical increments they try to guide you on to discover but give me a chef’s hat that hints at that info like the tunic that shows hp.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
A recipe book would be the single biggest improvement to BotW without re-working core mechanics and making it a different game

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I like that they have recipes for local dishes printed on the walls.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

There are plenty of RPGs where optimizing your character isn't at all necessary or required. Some of them do, but you'd find plenty that are fine letting you just romp around picking whatever. I rarely have the patience to optimize anything, and I get along fine in RPGs.

I didn't actually know this, so thanks. I play games because real life requires way too much admin bullshit, so maybe I'll pick up one of these. I like BotW in part because you don't really have to plan ahead much beyond grab everything and maybe don't sell materials that you need to upgrade armor or recraft weapons. Even weapon durability is cool because maybe outside elemental weapons in certain circumstances (e.g., fire weapons v cold enemies, or shock weapons to steal mob weapons without bothering to parry) you can just pick up whatever and use it whenever knowing that when it breaks there will be more.

I think I'm just incredibly casual wrt video games though and absolutely not the norm.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

External Organs posted:

Path of Exile is interesting in character creation in that your class determines your starting location on the giant gently caress off skill tree, and each classes' ascendency choices allow them to take advantage or specialize in various mechanics - but you do absolutely have novel builds resulting in weird combinations you wouldn't normally think of.

Anyway breath of the wild is very good, I found another shrine last night but had to hit the hay before the end of it. Not sure what to do with these Hinox teeth. I threw a couple random monster parts into a cooking pot a few days ago but just got a lovely elixir that gave a small stealth buff and no health :discourse:

Short form is that for elixirs, the monster parts are bonuses to duration only. "critters" (bugs and lizards and stuff) determine the strength of the buff the elixir gives, but don't give HP (except fairies, and I'm not sure how they combine with other things). Food ingredients (vegetables, mushrooms, meat and poultry, fish, fruit, shellfish, etc) recover HP and most of them also give buffs, but food generally gives buffs for shorter durations. You can make elixirs that give longer duration buffs but also heal HP by adding food components, but it still needs at least one critter and one monster part to make an elixir - adding monster parts to food just makes dubious food. There are also seasonings like salt and nuts and goron spice that add to the HP recovered by foods but don't do much of anything on their own.

Honestly for most purposes I had more fun just combining food ingredients into different fun dishes with an eye for what kind of buff they would give, though it can be worth making some long-duration elixirs for cold and hot weather adaptation for extended exploration (and lategame if you want to just kill a bunch of minibosses in a row, long-duration attack or defense elixirs can be useful). Though apparently the best non-dragon-ingredient spicy and chilly elixirs are barely better than just mushroom skewers made from tons of sunshrooms/chillshrooms so whatever.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I like that they have recipes for local dishes printed on the walls.

Yeah that's fantastic. Just the game keeping track of recipes once you've successfully made them though would be huge. Even if the optimal recipe is still DURIAN DURIAN DURIAN

Loucks
May 21, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Yeah that's fantastic. Just the game keeping track of recipes once you've successfully made them though would be huge. Even if the optimal recipe is still DURIAN DURIAN DURIAN

This is banana erasure.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Fortunately Link can just eat a whole pile of cooked durians as well as cooked bananas, so there's no reason to choose between the two, or to cook anything else

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Bloop posted:

A recipe book would be the single biggest improvement to BotW without re-working core mechanics and making it a different game

I would've just preferred something that remembers what you make in game but there are so many combinations and effects it would be a mess.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

why even bother having "classes" to begin with.

Eyy now we’re talking. If it’s a single player game, just let me do the things and play the whole game.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Also, for those of you who may be concerned cooking with a fairy doesn’t actually cook the fairy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PCjr sidecar posted:

Also, for those of you who may be concerned cooking with a fairy doesn’t actually cook the fairy.

I'm not gonna lie, I was a little disappointed the first time I tried it

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I was a little disappointed the first time I tried it

Same. Was hoping for a Hey Listen with every bite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yea ultimately it depends on what kind of game you want to make. If you are making a class-based Role-playing game where the story changes based on whether you start as a warrior or a mage, then it's completely appropriate to lock-off equipment from the respective classes purely for gameplay/design reasons.

If it's an open world game like Elder Scrolls or Elden Ring or whatever, then sure let the player go nuts and eventually get 100 in all stats, mastery of all weapons, etc. no big deal.

There are legitimate cases for both decisions was my only point.