Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

holy hell that guy is a hawk. Jesus Christ looking back through his published articles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

holy hell that guy is a hawk. Jesus Christ looking back through his published articles.

Yeah that guy's a loving a psycho, as if he could be anything else besides when he's the war correspondent for a racist coffee company

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lol at the Taliban loves our freedom OPEd for the WSJ

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

KomradeX posted:

I get the distinct feeling that the US is unprepared for an enemy that can actually shoot back, and bring the same level of firepower we do.

going to meme warfare ourselves into losing entire squadrons of f-35s because what are the incompetent russians going to do launch cruise missiles at the airbase

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

speaking of the war that isn’t a war.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2022/03/exclusive-kremlin-putin-russia-ukraine-war-memo-tucker-carlson-fox/

I bet the Russians filled the void left when ole hamburger dick got pushed out for being a rapist then died.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

“It is essential to use as much as possible fragments of broadcasts of the popular Fox News host Tucker Carlson, who sharply criticizes the actions of the United States [and] NATO, their negative role in unleashing the conflict in Ukraine, [and] the defiantly provocative behavior from the leadership of the Western countries and NATO towards the Russian Federation and towards President Putin, personally,”

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
more on "The Mons Myth":

quote:

Many British military histories assert that ‘the verdict of history’ is that the ‘British army was well-trained and well-led’.⁷⁶ This was true only at the individual soldier level. Nor is one of the best-written British regi- mental histories in full agreement with this evaluation. It says that ‘the majority of the men in the ranks were young soldiers of less than three years service or else reservists who only a fortnight before had been in civil life. For a week [after landing in France] they had been harassed and deprived of sleep, marched and counter-marched, and they were already tired and footsore when they were called on to face an enemy of over- powering strength.’⁷⁷

The British General Staff was not organised until Haldane’s reforms from 1906 to 1909. The first modern doctrinal manual, Field Service Regulations – Operations, was not writ- ten until 1909. There was not enough time to practise these procedures – the British army held only two army-level manoeuvres before the First World War, in 1912 and 1913. II Corps, which was to conduct almost all of the fighting in August 1914, did not even exist until mobilisation.

One of the few books to deal with British pre-war doctrine is Bidwell and Graham’s Firepower.⁸⁰ Their description is not a pretty one. In effect, the British army did not have a functioning tactical doctrine, and British manuals did not provide for combined-arms tactics. The British empha- sis on regimental (actually battalion) autonomy worked against com- bined arms, and would continue to do so through the Second World War. The artillery manual did not establish priorities for artillery fire. There was confusion concerning what constituted ‘fire superiority’ and the conduct of fire and movement. There was no tactics manual for the machine gun. Just before the war the British army shifted from the old eight-company Napoleonic battalion organisation to the German-style four-company battalion, each company with four platoons. ‘The platoon was something quite new. On paper a fully mobilized battalion head- quarters was over 200 strong, but no one in high places seems to have thought of really organising it for battle. It was left for individual com- manders to do what they liked.’⁸¹ In effect, the British had plagiarised the German tactics regulations without understanding them. Ascoli implicitly says that tactical training got short shrift because British excellence at rifle marksmanship and artillery gunnery were ‘born of the British pas- sion for field sports’, which Ascoli obviously meant as a compliment.⁸²

The fundamental problem was that while the British army did not offi- cially have a continental mission, it did have one of imperial policing which occupied the attention of half the force.

Battal- ions were continually changing brigades, which made stable brigade- level training impossible. There were simply too many innovations, and too little time and training opportunities to become familiar with them. Major-General A. L. Ransome, who was with the Dorsets before the War, said: ‘In the current tactical training of the serving infantry soldier great emphasis had been placed on the attack; the defence was seldom prac- tised. When it was, dispositions were inevitably linear.’⁸⁴ The Cheshire regimental history said: ‘Before the war, in order to foster the offensive spirit, retirement as an operation of war was ignored during training.’⁸⁵

The British army therefore concentrated on individual training, partic- ularly individual rifle marksmanship. The Worcestershire regimental his- tory says that marksmanship competition was a matter of adding up indi- vidual range-firing scores; the company with the highest additive score won.⁸⁶ These were fired on standard ranges against bulls-eye targets. In the German army, live-fire qualification courses were conducted tactically at platoon, company and battalion levels.

British regimental histories that discuss peacetime operations at all usually con- centrate on the exploits of the unit sports teams. A notable exception is again the Worcestershire regimental history, which says that after the South African War ‘more modern methods of training’ were introduced ‘and the severe “Kitchener test” was instituted as a criterion of effi- ciency’. This test consisted of ‘a long forced march in full kit by the whole battalion, followed by an attack practice’. This hardly meets Ger- man standards for tactical training.

An army fights the way it has been trained to fight. Doctrine and train- ing must correspond to the most likely missions that the army will have to perform. The British army focused on offensive operations; in the first three weeks of the war it would conduct positional defence and with- drawals under pressure, missions for which it was poorly prepared. Aside from the effectiveness of individual training, the British army did not execute the defence/withdrawal missions well, and almost all the casualties would be the consequences of a poorly organised defence and badly conducted withdrawal.

In order to preserve the political fiction that the British army was not preparing for a war against Germany, the official history said that ‘The study of German military organisation and methods was specifically for- bidden at war games, staff tours and intelligence classes, which would have provided the best opportunities for such instruction’. It goes on to say: ‘Ignorance of the German Army proved a serious handicap in the early part of the campaign.’⁸⁸ The official history cites as an example Ger- man machine-gun crews that were carrying the gun by the four legs of the gun mount and were taken to be stretcher-bearers and were not fired upon. British misperception of German tactics was so serious that the BEF had literally no idea what the Germans were doing.

Another example illustrative of British ignorance of German tactics re- gards British troops regularly reporting that advancing Germans ‘fired from the hip’. Such a manoeuvre is unlikely, as anyone who has ever fired a bolt-action rifle while trying to move forward can attest. German training, on the other hand, emphasised carefully conducted aimed fire. How can this contradiction be explained? The solution is simple: the pencil drawings by Döberich-Steglitz show the Germans advancing by fire and movement. While one group of German troops provide covering fire, the other group bounds forward, carrying his weapon by his side at ‘trail arms’. The British, who could not see the prone German riflemen firing, thought the running men were firing. It is truly amazing that the authors of the British official history did not correct this misperception: they did not understand German tactics either.

I do want to say that back in the heady days of playing Red Orchesta 2 all afternoon, one learned to distinguish Soviet soldiers from German ones by how they ran - a German soldier would, as this book says, carry their weapon in one hand by their side, while the Soviet soldier would cradle their rifle in both arms, holding it across their chest.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Is the Ukraine gently caress up basically the result of trying to invade with heavy equipment over thawing muddy terrain and Russia being completely unequipped to solve the logistical issues arising from that?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
American level hubris without the money and volunteer capacity to waste

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nix Panicus posted:

Is the Ukraine gently caress up basically the result of trying to invade with heavy equipment over thawing muddy terrain and Russia being completely unequipped to solve the logistical issues arising from that?

yes and no

no in the sense that they're making pretty good use of the road network to avoid traveling in the mud where possible,
and no in the sense that they've attacked in so many places, that the Ukrainians are still strategically and operationally outflanked,
and no in the sense that the expectations being pushed by the Western media are basically overblown in order to make it look like they're falling short, which they arguably aren't

yes in the sense that the mud is an impediment, no matter how much they've tried to work around it, but it seems political considerations overrode meterological ones

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ok, so we're in 'they're losing because they aren't winning fast enough' territory.

How much of the Ukranian resistance is real and how much is propaganda? Is there some ticking timer for Russia before literally every person in Ukraine is armed with a rocket launcher and victory becomes impossible, or is that all smoke and Russia's only real constraint is Russian political will running out?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ukraine does not really have the kind of offensive/striking power needed to actively drive-out the Russians from the territory they're currently occupying. Even if their defense stiffened to the point where the Russians don't take another square meter of land, pairs of soldiers killing tanks with Javelins isn't going to win back occupied territory, and that's notwithstanding that the bulk of the regular army is all the way over in the eastern part of the country (where it may well be encircled).

Any kind of "loss" for Russia would be in terms of the war becoming unfeasible for economic and/or political reasons that they'd have to pull out of their own accord, and I don't know how likely either of those scenarios are.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I was thinking the other day about how it's going to be absolutely sick when the right wing psychos we've been dumping weapons to coup the Ukrainian government in 5 years and start doing pogroms and suddenly libs will start calling you a horrible isolationist if you don't want to invade Ukraine.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1503037134931906566

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Is Putin natty?

https://youtu.be/KMvMDudBLu8

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

lol

animist
Aug 28, 2018

sure i lost that fight against thedrunk guy at the bar but you put me in the ring against a high-level boxer my psycho mode instincts will kick in

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Any kind of "loss" for Russia would be in terms of the war becoming unfeasible for economic and/or political reasons that they'd have to pull out of their own accord, and I don't know how likely either of those scenarios are.
Why is loss in quotation marks? Isn't this the exact same way America lost the Vietnam War? Actually, it becoming unfeasibly expensive would be a bigger loss, since the state wouldn't even be able to prosecute a war, rather than deciding not to due to it not being a vote winner.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

animist posted:

sure i lost that fight against thedrunk guy at the bar but you put me in the ring against a high-level boxer my psycho mode instincts will kick in

I’m afraid I must go sicko mode.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Nix Panicus posted:

the extent of the gently caress up is entirely up to how many ukrainian propaganda twitter accounts you follow

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ukraine does not really have the kind of offensive/striking power needed to actively drive-out the Russians from the territory they're currently occupying. Even if their defense stiffened to the point where the Russians don't take another square meter of land, pairs of soldiers killing tanks with Javelins isn't going to win back occupied territory, and that's notwithstanding that the bulk of the regular army is all the way over in the eastern part of the country (where it may well be encircled).

I do think as the smoke clears a bit we are getting some idea of exactly what is happening

As far as the stuff that went wrong for Russia:

1. Strategic mud was/is a factor, and it has either forced them on roads or they have suffered attrition as vehicles get routinely stuck in it. It wasn't going to shift their timing (I think this is something of a political mystery still) or stop the assault, but it has certainly complicated/slowed it.
2. The VKS has underperformed and I think a lot of that has been due to the fact that Ukrainian air defenses are better than expected (even if it is mostly old Soviet equipment) and that the Ukrainian air force was still active at least during the first week of the war. This has obviously changed in the second week as airstrikes are now happening across the country but it is another factor that delayed operations.
3. ATGMs/MANPADs are still an issue.
4. The Russians are using UCAVs but not nearly to the numbers they should have especially considering the vulnerability of their armored columns after being funneled on to roads. I think this will change as time goes on as the ground dries, but still, I think there is still institutional resistance against UCAVs when Russia should shift gears to a much fuller extent. It isn't a lack of access to UCAVs that is the issue either, it is literally just numbers.
5. The Russian force (in my opinion) is underweight for the job it has been asked to do, but admittedly, some of that is due to forces "bunching" together on roads and them not being able to utilize their forces as efficiently as they would have wanted.

That said,

Stephen Kotkin among others has admitted that the operation overall is more or less has been a general success for the Russians, one not without flaws, but a success all the same. Ukrainians have not been able to mount a serious counter-attack after 2 1/2 weeks of operations while their fortified positions have been progressively and repeatedly encircled. In addition, Russia's utilization of cruise/ballistic missiles has been particularly devastating. It also seems Russian doctrine has generally held up.

Some things like mud are more of a situational issue of timing, but I do think this campaign has shown that the Russians have perhaps neglected for too long their air assets, in particular, tactical bombers and UCAVs. A lot of that is a budgetary constraint but it has showed a change of investment and doctrine needs to happen.

--------------

Also, I don't know how useful raw numbers are at this point because (very much like the Karabakh war), they are going to be absolutely all over the place until a more accurate post-war accounting is done. That said, Russia would be fairing far more poorly if they were suffering a catastrophic number of causalities and there would be more evidence of it, particularly during the second week. (Though, I do think they took some pretty hard hits around Kharov during the first week. It hasn't been like nothing has been happening either.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 19:15 on Mar 14, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DefenseCharts/status/1503382765496115202

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Why is loss in quotation marks? Isn't this the exact same way America lost the Vietnam War? Actually, it becoming unfeasibly expensive would be a bigger loss, since the state wouldn't even be able to prosecute a war, rather than deciding not to due to it not being a vote winner.

I don't really like the comparison to Vietnam because the political goals and context of those wars was quite different. Yes, certain people would like to think that flooding Ukraine with small arms and ATGMs and MANPADs will create an insurgency that will bleed off enough Russian lives and assets that they will have to leave, but that comes after the offensive phase of the invasion, and it assumes that Russia is intending to implement some kind of long-term occupation of the country.

I'm of the opinion that Russia has a particular set of war-goals that they would like to accomplish: a guarantee that Ukraine will not join NATO, recognition of Donetsk and Luhansk as independent states, and recognition of Crimea as part of Russia, in that order. None of these necessitate long-term occupation of [more] Ukrainian territory [than what has already arguably been taken since 2014]. In order to get Ukraine to make such concessions, they need leverage, and that will come in the form of "if you agree to these terms, we'll lift the blockade from Kyiv and your major cities, and we'll stop chewing up your regular army, and we'll stop bombing your infrastructure and your military production capabilities", to put it bluntly.

Russia can lose if they can't advance far enough into Ukraine to credibly make any of these threats, because Ukrainian resistance is too stiff, or if the advance is going slower than what their domestic politics can bear, or if the Ukrainians just refuse to make any kind of deal despite already being up against the wall (at the expense of the continued disintegration of the rest of their country).

That's not really similar to how America lost the Vietnam War, because you'd need to grant that America had a coherent Vietnam strategy to begin with.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm of the opinion that Russia has a particular set of war-goals that they would like to accomplish: a guarantee that Ukraine will not join NATO, recognition of Donetsk and Luhansk as independent states, and recognition of Crimea as part of Russia, in that order.
OK, I can see why you come to the conclusion you do then. Not entirely sure why you believe those are the goals, but your logic is sound.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

OK, I can see why you come to the conclusion you do then. Not entirely sure why you believe those are the goals, but your logic is sound.

because they spent 8 years immediately prior to the invasion negotiating for almost those exact outcomes (the republics being autonomous regions is the main difference)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sea level just got higher

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm of the opinion that Russia has a particular set of war-goals that they would like to accomplish: a guarantee that Ukraine will not join NATO, recognition of Donetsk and Luhansk as independent states, and recognition of Crimea as part of Russia, in that order. None of these necessitate long-term occupation of [more] Ukrainian territory [than what has already arguably been taken since 2014].

that’s just it though. they almost certainly could have gotten those goals. those goals were what everybody expected. those would have gotten a slap on the wrist response and accomplished the larger strategic goals of driving EU and US apart.

they overreached past those goals. apparently with no one but Putin expecting them to. producing significantly more reaction than just sticking to them would have and likely preventing them from being accomplished.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Bar Ran Dun posted:

that’s just it though. they almost certainly could have gotten those goals. those goals were what everybody expected. those would have gotten a slap on the wrist response and accomplished the larger strategic goals of driving EU and US apart.

they overreached past those goals. apparently with no one but Putin expecting them to. producing significantly more reaction than just sticking to them would have and likely preventing them from being accomplished.

nah the west pushed putin into a gross loving war and now continues to escalate while the ukrainian people get flattened. the “good” news is the us is led by idiots who are using this to drunkenly stumble into an economic war with china too. ww3 is happening right before your eyes and the us has already lost control

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

that’s just it though. they almost certainly could have gotten those goals. those goals were what everybody expected.

Zelensky said Minsk was dead before the war began, how were they going to achieve those goals

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Centrist Committee posted:

nah the west pushed putin into a gross loving war and now continues to escalate while the ukrainian people get flattened. the “good” news is the us is led by idiots who are using this to drunkenly stumble into an economic war with china too. ww3 is happening right before your eyes and the us has already lost control

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

where's the lie

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
it's just a cat who is ok with it all I think?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think its pretty plausible that if the Ukrainian military had collapsed in a matter of hours and the local governments had more or less accepted Russian rule, then Putin might have gone for greedier aims like outright annexation. Its also possible that that situation was what they expected in the first place, but ofc it's a massive misreading of the Ukrainian political situation

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

more on "The Mons Myth":

I do want to say that back in the heady days of playing Red Orchesta 2 all afternoon, one learned to distinguish Soviet soldiers from German ones by how they ran - a German soldier would, as this book says, carry their weapon in one hand by their side, while the Soviet soldier would cradle their rifle in both arms, holding it across their chest.

I just wanted to say Fire Power is the single best book for understanding any Commonwealth military, absolute pro-read.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

animist posted:

I haven't fought one person in so long. I've been specializing in groups.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

I just wanted to say Fire Power is the single best book for understanding any Commonwealth military, absolute pro-read.

Can I get an author or an ISBN or something? That's a very common title.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Power-Theories-1904-1945-Military-ebook/dp/B00KTM7HBO/

edit wait what

quote:

Fire-Power: The British Army Weapons & Theories of War 1904–1945

The great siege of Gibraltar was the longest recorded in the annals of the British army. Between 1779 and 1783 a small British force defended the Rock against the Spanish and the French who were determined take this strategically vital point guarding the entrance to the Mediterranean. The tenacity and endurance shown by the attackers and defenders alike, and the sheer ingenuity of the siege operations mounted by both sides, make the episode an epic of military history, and the story gives us a fascinating insight into the realities of siege warfare. In this, the first full study of the siege for over 40 years, James Falkner draws on a wide range of contemporary sources to tell the exciting tale of a huge and complex operation.

oh from the first review:

quote:

This title, first published in 1982, offers an objective and thoroughly-researched analysis of the evolution of British military tactics, with an emphasis on artillery.

okay lmao that's definitely what FF is referring to

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

i say swears online posted:

okay lmao that's definitely what FF is referring to

lmao sorry I didn’t see your question, but absolutely hahah

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

"Air is the intersection of human and cyber" - Sun Tzu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I forgot to recommend First Clash. I don’t know how relatable it is, since it was designed to present tactical problems but it’s a great WW3 primer for 4CMBG in the 80’s. It was on the Staff & Tactics School curriculum since publication.

The book was written as a teaching aid for commanders, then published for general officers. It reads reasonably well as a story but its true depth is in the teaching of sound battle drills for small and regimental units.

Review:

“An odd book, originally comissioned as a manual for the Canadian Armed Forces in the early eighties, it describes the first three days of a (thankfully) fictional World War Three as experienced by the men of a Canadian armoured battle group. The group is engaged in a delaying action against a numerically superior Soviet force and each chapter covers one part of the operation, preparing initial defensive positions, launching counter attacks and so forth.

The narrative is presented as a novel with bullet points at the end of each chapter drawing the reader's (in this case presumably a serving officer in the Canadian army) to the most important points covered in the chapter. As Macksey was a tank man who saw combat with the RTR in Normandy, there's plenty of cockup, cowardice, chaos and occasional flashes of luck in the story, that make is seem significantly more real then other official "accounts" of WWIII that I've read.
His conclusions (as far as I am able to judge from my position as armchair general) are sound, the only one that I might query is his faith in the Blowpipe SAM system, which proved itself both in Afghanistan and the Falklands to be a very inferior piece of kit.

Not a bad read for something that's meant to be a manual.”