Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Skios posted:

Seeing that particular weirdness resurfacing after governments started rolling out apps to check vaccine/immunity status with QR codes was certainly nostalgic. At least the anti-barcode insanity gave us this banger.

I thought this would be about the Cathy comic strip, but it was so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Do people still recognize this reference? Isn't the film from the 1950s?

Raised By Birds posted:

Kevin Necessary

Kellies nomination: worst comic about a tragedy
Kellies nomination: worst two things happened

Should we have some kellies categories specific to Ukraine? Worst comic about the Russian invasion? Worst Ukraine concern trolling?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Discendo Vox posted:

Do people still recognize this reference? Isn't the film from the 1950s?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjzKiEs_pHI

And I think the average person who cares about political cartoons is about 73 years old.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I thought of that one random russian dude in Metal Gear Rising who explodes with the petrol plant in the cutscene after you defeat Mistral. But I doubt Deering has played Revengence.

Clay Jones tho, holy poo poo :stare:

Kikas fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 14, 2022

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: The House Always Wins

Ted Rall posted:

It is virtually inconceivable that Ukraine will be able to defeat Russia militarily. Russia is simply too powerful. So what’s the point of sending weapons to Ukraine? There can only be one net effect, to prolong the war and the suffering to the benefit of the defense industry.

First Dog on the Moon: Jellyfish have a proud history of ruining nuclear power plants all over the world

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Can we send Toot Roll as aid? I guarantee that every single armament will target him alone and let Ukraine be.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"So we decided to hire another white man instead."

Without anymore context this is a good cartoon. I guess Fishman's intent was that the reader should assume that an incompetent person with minority background is getting the job instead?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

TERF ideology is just Heads-I-Win, Tails-You-Lose poo poo: very internally fraught with contradictions, and you inevitably see the sneering contempt that lies at its core. Even JK Rowling can’t maintain her faux-polite “I totally support trans people, just not those trans people” and just as early as last week joined Julie Bindel in cold-hearted jeering of a trans woman’s ptsd.

It's exactly this. TERF ideology isn't based on making conclusions from data, it's based entirely on their idea that being a woman is a magical soul shard implanted before you are born. They will pick up useful talking points and discard them in the same conversation.

Though sinfests constant cacophony of hormones are easily accessible did get me saying the extremely cis point of "I wish it was that easy to get hormones" which in turn helped me accept who I was.

Lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Trapezium Dave posted:

Interesting to see the evolution of this Russian shill's approach to the conflict. First it was "but what about America doing this?" Then it was "why do you care about Ukraine but not America doing other thing?" Now it's "why is America prolonging the war that Russia started?"

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 14, 2022

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Trapezium Dave posted:

Soon Russia won't be able to pay Ted Rall anymore. So the main victim in this war is as usual Ted Rall.

Ted Rall.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I mean if Thud wanted to make a halfway sensible cartoon about drones and the military-industrial complex he could've had the Raytheon execs annoyed and jealous that Turkey had horned in on their business with the Bayraktars. That might at least be sort of a cogent comment.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Raised By Birds posted:

Walt Handelsman

Relive those treasured war crimes again and again.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Maybe if you’re worried about the price of gas don’t buy a SUV or truck that will only be used by one person?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s weird to say Ukraine can’t win the war when Afghanistan has done it not just to Russia, but the US as well in just the past 40 years.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Trapezium Dave posted:

I mean... what does Rall expect Ukraine to do? Counter-invade Russia? "All" Ukraine has to do is grind down the invading army, Russia is the one that actually has to be able to hold control of Ukraine.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Todd Rell posted:

So what’s the point of sending weapons to Ukraine? There can only be one net effect, to prolong the war and the suffering

Okay so what the gently caress is Ukraine supposed to do then? Welcome the Russians as liberators (Hmm, where have I heard that before)? Commit suicide?

Seriously what the gently caress is this take? "If only the Ukrainians would stop fighting back, the war would be over (because they would all be dead, but at least then the war would be short and they wouldn't suffer)."

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s weird to say Ukraine can’t win the war when Afghanistan has done it not just to Russia, but the US as well in just the past 40 years.

Now I'm just imagining Rall being a cartoonist in the 60s saying "Why is Vietnam even trying, there's no way they can win against the power of the US military."

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall posted:

It is virtually inconceivable that Ukraine will be able to defeat Russia militarily. Russia is simply too powerful. So what’s the point of sending weapons to Ukraine? There can only be one net effect, to prolong the war and the suffering to the benefit of the defense industry.

Oh cool Ted Rall briefly scanned the Wikipedia article on utilitarianism.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Now I'm just imagining Rall being a cartoonist in the 60s saying "Why is Vietnam even trying, there's no way they can win against the power of the US military."
There are plenty like that, but all a bit too directly pro-American war to be Rall. You'd probably have to go looking off the English speaking web to find something approaching the equivalent. There was probably French Rall or something int eh 1960s.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

axolotl farmer posted:

Soon Russia won't be able to pay Ted Rall anymore. So the main victim in this war is as usual Ted Rall.

Ted Rall.

They say that an honest man in politics is one who, when you buy him, he stays bought. Insert the usual dril tweet here.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Sedisp posted:

Though sinfests constant cacophony of hormones are easily accessible did get me saying the extremely cis point of "I wish it was that easy to get hormones" which in turn helped me accept who I was.

Lol

i've heard more embarrassing egg cracking stories but you should probably come up with another one just so you never have to explain to anyone what sinfest is

congratulations btw

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

There are plenty like that, but all a bit too directly pro-American war to be Rall. You'd probably have to go looking off the English speaking web to find something approaching the equivalent. There was probably French Rall or something int eh 1960s.

Am I supposed to side with the cowboy going to drop H-bombs on people.

The only way I can tell is the racist caricature of the Vietnamese man and the sad victimized expression on the cowboy

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Am I supposed to side with the cowboy going to drop H-bombs on people.

The only way I can tell is the racist caricature of the Vietnamese man and the sad victimized expression on the cowboy
My understanding based on the author's stated politics and other cartoons, you're supposed to be mad at the cowboy for not having won yet.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'm just mad at the author for the clumsy use of labels…

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

My understanding based on the author's stated politics and other cartoons, you're supposed to be mad at the cowboy for not having won yet.

yeah it's big "why hasn't lbj nuked these vietnamese people yet they're making a chump out of him. weak president. sad!" energy

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh wow that's even more insane but yes I see now that this is the only possibly correct interpretation

Also the cartoon is accurate because if the cowboy explodes one of those H-bombs to get the partisan they both end up dead

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Skeleton Mom posted:

i've heard more embarrassing egg cracking stories but you should probably come up with another one just so you never have to explain to anyone what sinfest is

congratulations btw

For most people I just tell them I was a really passionate ally until another transgirl pointed out how most cis people don't actually think about gender thoughts as often as I did. It's still a true story that doesn't include the super embarrassing catalyst!

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!
"The Boys in the Ban"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

There was and is an idea among certain people that the reason the US lost the Vietnam war was because they wasn't ruthless enough.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Would glassing the entire region really count as winning?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

By popular demand posted:

Would glassing the entire region really count as winning?

If your definition of winning is "to end the enemy's resistance", yes.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Michael Gove’s Ukrainian refugee scheme – There are significant gaps in the UK’s refugee scheme that could exclude vulnerable people from coming to Britain, humanitarian experts have warned"

Telegraph:

Baftas 2022 as it happened: Benedict Cumberbatch says he hopes to take in Ukrainian refugees

Independent:

Times

When is the spring statement 2022 and what will the chancellor say?

Evening Standard:

Britain warns Putin of ‘war with Nato’ if Russia steps a ‘single toecap’ on its territory

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I usually roll my eyes at the "Ted Rall is in the tank for the Russians" stuff but holy poo poo.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Way to be so bad at doing anything I thought this was a Doonsbury comic at first.

... Is Doonsbury still doing new strips?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Neito posted:

Way to be so bad at doing anything I thought this was a Doonsbury comic at first.

... Is Doonsbury still doing new strips?

Sundays only.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Holy poo poo Fawlty towers reference out of nowhere

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

DUCKDUCKGO- A REAL QUACK UP!

DuckDuckGo was once synonymous with freedom. it was promoted as an unbiased search engine that did not keep track of searches for marketing purposes.

Now they’ve announced that they will down-rank what they call ‘Russian propaganda.’ Apparently the search engine thinks the public is not smart enough to parse and analyze information and make informed decisions on our own. Instead, they’ll edit information for us as they see fit. This is unfortunate and everyone who believes in free speech should stop using DuckDuckGo in protest. Alternatives include the “Brave” Browser search page.

Internet freedom is increasingly under threat. Hillary Clinton once said it needed an ‘editor,’ and that’s what we’re getting. The editors are the globalists oligarchs. Everyone has become increasingly dependent on the Internet for information and the Davos crowd wants to control it. Many of us freedom-loving anti-New World Order types have already been banned from Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram.

Patreon makes sure conservatives are unable to receive contributions from supporters. That happened to us. Now we are using SubscribeStar, a Patreon alternative. PayPal has banned many, too. What’s next, taking down websites of those who don’t want a mandatory vaccine or a war with Russia?

DuckDuckGo is now useless to me. It will become an inferior version of Google, Google Light, and Google is already useless when it comes to searching controversial topics. Try typing in ‘moon landing hoax’ on Google and you’ll see page after page ridiculing those who believe it was faked and offer what seems like tangible proof that the landings occurred. They don’t allow you to make up your own mind by comparing both sides of the story. Instead, they greatly down-rank any information that those in charge consider to be ‘misinformation.’ Google emphasizes the ‘official’ narrative which aligns with what the oligarchs at the top want you to believe. They are the editors Hillary and her CFR comrades wanted.

This anti-free speech trend must stop. How to stop it? Truth Social is a good first step.

— Ben Garrison

So is Freedom of Speech part of the Censorship Swamp?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Murdstone posted:

I usually roll my eyes at the "Ted Rall is in the tank for the Russians" stuff but holy poo poo.

Buddy he is literally on their payroll. If you want to spend an hour listening to Rall and Stantis, here's an episode of their podcast from the 10th where Rall explains why he draws for Sputnik. Note the present tense.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Broelman:

Knight:

Rowe:

Anthony Albanese gets a lot of criticism for running a small target strategy but so far on the doorstep of the election it appears to be working for him and Labor.

Spooner:

Wilcox:

A whole bunch of recent Scott Morrison photo ops. The most recent was a selfie of him with his cat with those faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Didn't have any clip art of an explosion, huh?

quote:

Google is already useless when it comes to searching controversial topics. Try typing in ‘moon landing hoax’ on Google and you’ll see page after page ridiculing those who believe it was faked and offer what seems like tangible proof that the landings occurred.

Actually that sounds extremely useful.