Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Auto, unfortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I took my 2007 525D into BMW Aberdeen yesterday to get the safety recall wiring thing fixed, specifically had it booked two weeks ago and provided them a scan of my driving license in advance so I could be sure that everything was squared away for the courtesy car that they’d have booked for me.

I get there and the lad there says that’s fine, I’ll be getting to drive home a 530D as a courtesy car for the day as they get it fixed. Could he see my license please? Sure.

“Uhhhh how long have you had this license?”
“Car six months, bike 1.5 years”
“Yeah our insurance won’t let you have a courtesy car without at least a year of driving experience”
“You couldn’t have told me that when I emailed my license in weeks ago?”
“I’m so sorry.”
“Can I take home a courtesy bike”
“It’s out”
“I drove an hour to get here, don’t make me go back without fixing the issue”
“How about we collect it two weeks from now in the morning and bring it back in the evening?”
“Ok. Can I test drive the i4 and test ride the r18 while I’m here, and as discussed with your colleagues weeks ago?”
“Head on over to sales and they’ll help you”

Test drive trip report; I’ll post it shortly.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

BMW i4 M50 Test Drive:

Drove it in Aberdeen and on the A96 to Inverness for almost an hour. It was easy to drive and had a lot of punch, enough that flooring it out of a roundabout or on the bypass to the motorway properly pushed me into the back of the seat. Felt fine in the few corners I did. Had enough range, it was on about 80% battery when I left, showing 195 miles in Comfort mode. I put it in Sport mode quickly afterwards.

• Seats were super comfortable. You can turn on the heated seats by talking to the car. This one didn't have massage seats, even though I tried "Hey BMW, turn on the seat massage" "I'm sorry, that function isn't available".
  • Heated steering wheel was nice and toasty.
  • It will adjust the air conditioning for you when you ask it. "Hey BMW, can you make it colder" "Yes, I've reduced the temperature by 4 degrees."
  • The view out the back isn't great, the rear window is a bit small.
  • The Sport mode "spaceship" noise instead of an engine noise, that they had Hanz Zimmer compose for it is fine enough. Wish it sounded like an ICE though!
  • Parking assistant is basically magic. Click the button, click the parking space you want to park in, and that's it, it does it all for you magically. You don't have to touch anything, neither the brake, nor the steering wheel, nothing. Absolutely glorious. It got me into the tightest possible city parking space without breaking a sweat. Absolutely love that feature.
  • Looks like a normal BMW (avec big kidney grill).
  • Ride quality was absolutely fine, I was very comfortable in there, didn't feel it was too stiff or anything.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

How have you managed to live out in the boonies for so long without a license?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Lived here for just half a year. Was in a village in Stirlingshire before that and London before that. Didn’t have need of anything other than a bicycle.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Having a Subaru for 10 years spoiled me a bit. The Supra is goddamned terrifying in the rain, but the electronic bits are so good it never left its lane when I blew the back tires off it at loving 60.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Steakandchips posted:

BMW i4 M50 Test Drive:

Drove it in Aberdeen and on the A96 to Inverness for almost an hour. It was easy to drive and had a lot of punch, enough that flooring it out of a roundabout or on the bypass to the motorway properly pushed me into the back of the seat. Felt fine in the few corners I did. Had enough range, it was on about 80% battery when I left, showing 195 miles in Comfort mode. I put it in Sport mode quickly afterwards.

• Seats were super comfortable. You can turn on the heated seats by talking to the car. This one didn't have massage seats, even though I tried "Hey BMW, turn on the seat massage" "I'm sorry, that function isn't available".
  • Heated steering wheel was nice and toasty.
  • It will adjust the air conditioning for you when you ask it. "Hey BMW, can you make it colder" "Yes, I've reduced the temperature by 4 degrees."
  • The view out the back isn't great, the rear window is a bit small.
  • The Sport mode "spaceship" noise instead of an engine noise, that they had Hanz Zimmer compose for it is fine enough. Wish it sounded like an ICE though!
  • Parking assistant is basically magic. Click the button, click the parking space you want to park in, and that's it, it does it all for you magically. You don't have to touch anything, neither the brake, nor the steering wheel, nothing. Absolutely glorious. It got me into the tightest possible city parking space without breaking a sweat. Absolutely love that feature.
  • Looks like a normal BMW (avec big kidney grill).
  • Ride quality was absolutely fine, I was very comfortable in there, didn't feel it was too stiff or anything.

This is great to see and read, I can't wait for mine to get delivered in June :hfive:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Enjoy buddy, post some trip reports when you get it!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:stonk:

https://mobile.twitter.com/uaweapons/status/1503365400939147273

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

And they say coupes aren't practical

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
lol @ the bumper sticker being the Snake Island meme

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Sab669 posted:

And they say coupes aren't practical

It's a technical, not practical!

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Hello friends. I bought a cpo '22 x3 m40i about a week back. First car with Carplay, sometimes Waze doesn't update and thinks I'm still parked somewhere. This morning, it thought I was about 25 miles from where I actually was. Usually it thinks I'm still parked at home and doesn't update while I drive around. The Apple Maps and BMW nav are updating fine. Tried rebooting my phone too. Is this just a Waze thing in carplay?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

phosdex posted:

Hello friends. I bought a cpo '22 x3 m40i about a week back. First car with Carplay, sometimes Waze doesn't update and thinks I'm still parked somewhere. This morning, it thought I was about 25 miles from where I actually was. Usually it thinks I'm still parked at home and doesn't update while I drive around. The Apple Maps and BMW nav are updating fine. Tried rebooting my phone too. Is this just a Waze thing in carplay?

It’s just a waze thing. Kill the app then open it back up and it should work fine.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I have to admit how nice it is having waze on the touchscreen. Makes marking speed traps much quicker! Surely they don't like it when their location gets tagged by PG_H8T3R on waze.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Test drove a 2021 M340i touring (station wagon) the dealer here is trying to get rid of today, first time I've test driven a new car since I bought my current one 9 years ago. Seemed like a really nice daily driver, exhaust sounded great with some nice burbles and pops, plenty of power (but didn't feel as powerful as I thought it would, probably due to the weight). Interior was good, heads up display was surprisingly bright and useful, new idrive was great, LCD gauge cluster was meh.

They're insanely expensive here though IMO, new cars in general are super expensive vs. other countries but they want the equivalent of $82k USD for one here which seems very steep compared to other similar cars.

Didn't get to see the new m240i in the flesh as they'd already sold it and delivered it in the morning before I showed up.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Test drove my E92 M3 today, took it for an unnecessary trip out around town since it was beautiful here, 80 with a nice breeze. Regardless of temp, never drive the car with the windows up, it has heated seats for a reason.

Initial thoughts: Car owns. Exhaust sounds incredible, intake sounds incredible, dash cluster is amazingly retro and slick with the lightup rev counter. ITB power delivery ranges from 'Yeah' to 'fuckin hell yes lol' depending on foot position and gear, the car strains at the leash at all times and the rawness of the car is apparently never going to be seen in an M car again. 10/10 would buy again

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ether Frenzy posted:

Test drove my E92 M3 today, took it for an unnecessary trip out around town since it was beautiful here, 80 with a nice breeze. Regardless of temp, never drive the car with the windows up, it has heated seats for a reason.

Initial thoughts: Car owns. Exhaust sounds incredible, intake sounds incredible, dash cluster is amazingly retro and slick with the lightup rev counter. ITB power delivery ranges from 'Yeah' to 'fuckin hell yes lol' depending on foot position and gear, the car strains at the leash at all times and the rawness of the car is apparently never going to be seen in an M car again. 10/10 would buy again

I want that V8 in my life within the year. Do you have an aftermarket intake to help with the good noises OP?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Blackhawk posted:

Test drove a 2021 M340i touring (station wagon) the dealer here is trying to get rid of today, first time I've test driven a new car since I bought my current one 9 years ago. Seemed like a really nice daily driver, exhaust sounded great with some nice burbles and pops, plenty of power (but didn't feel as powerful as I thought it would, probably due to the weight). Interior was good, heads up display was surprisingly bright and useful, new idrive was great, LCD gauge cluster was meh.

They're insanely expensive here though IMO, new cars in general are super expensive vs. other countries but they want the equivalent of $82k USD for one here which seems very steep compared to other similar cars.

Didn't get to see the new m240i in the flesh as they'd already sold it and delivered it in the morning before I showed up.

Sounds like a tune would solve the issue for you. Live that wagon life.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TheBacon posted:

I want that V8 in my life within the year.

:sigh: same.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Nope, mine is 100% stock aside from running 285/30/19's all the way round - hat tip to thealphabetsez for that rec, it feels better on turn-in and looks better than the stock sizing IMHO.

Kind of pondering getting the OEM M Titanium catback setup at some point to add a little more rasp in the back but I haven't really investigated any intake changes since the stock one sounds so good.

I've posted this a few times but it demos it pretty decently.
https://clyp.it/x0oxyt1b

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I would recommend modifying the stock muffler. $300 and it sounds fantastic. Basically you’re cutting out two of the four perforated pipes in the muffler and replacing them with standard steel tubing. Mild increase in sound with zero drone. It sounds so cool on a cold start, rips when you get above 5k RPM, and on the highway with the windows up you can’t hear it.

There are plenty of YouTube videos on the process and I used one to show a welder I found on Yelp.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Man it does sound good. I have heard a couple with some more pronounced intake noises that sound great too and I’d like that. Also one of the valved exhausts to maybe stand a chance at making sound at Laguna lmao.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Driving a base trim, no packages X1 while my Sporty Three Forty gets a clear coat put on

This is certainly a vehicle! Two pedals, wheel, the works

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bastards robbed me of a very intimate moment with my car

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

You should ask them if they took a pic of the odometer at the weed number for you

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Tradition is all a man's got :negative:

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
No gloves, get out

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

fyallm posted:

No gloves, get out

Does this look like glove weather to you!!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Bastards robbed me of a very intimate moment with my car

What were they doing with your car for 9 miles? You said it was going in for a PPF.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Does this look like glove weather to you!!

It never looks like glove weather to me

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

fyallm posted:

It never looks like glove weather to me

Reasonable... last thing a non-Comp M2 needs is even less road feel!

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Reasonable... last thing a non-Comp M2 needs is even less road feel!

The way my roads look, I would agree

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

KillHour posted:

What were they doing with your car for 9 miles? You said it was going in for a PPF.

9 miles of donuts, it's a BMW dealer

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ferrisbueller.gif

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:thunk: I found an F31 that's like $10K cheaper than any other listing I've seen in my ~3 weeks of market watching. It's got 100K miles, which is 20k more than the next highest, but still, $10K in depreciation for 20k miles?? No reported accidents, but the carfax is pretty sparse for that high mileage but maybe the owner just DIY.

Extremely tempted to ask my parents to take it for a PPI, but they're busy people and that'd be a lot of time out of their day. Maybe it's light on options packages, but can anyone more familiar with BMW pricing think of any reason this might be so much cheaper? I know US hates wagons but even still...

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I finally got a local indy shop (Schatz & Krum in Sacramento, CA) to install the Koni Special Active shock/struts I bought earlier onto my 2016 535 M-Sport and after 300 miles of settling they are awesome. Compliant over bumps/potholes/lovely roads and handles just like before. The stock shocks were garbage. My last F10 had the adjustable Dynamic Dampers and those were awesome.

I cannot believe what a dickhead the Valley Motorwerks new owner was when I brought this job up (some chud from North Carolina). Performance Motor Works in Rocklin who I've used 20 times on 4 different cars over the last 10 years didn't bother to call me back (also a new owner).

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Sab669 posted:

:thunk: I found an F31 that's like $10K cheaper than any other listing I've seen in my ~3 weeks of market watching. It's got 100K miles, which is 20k more than the next highest, but still, $10K in depreciation for 20k miles?? No reported accidents, but the carfax is pretty sparse for that high mileage but maybe the owner just DIY.

Extremely tempted to ask my parents to take it for a PPI, but they're busy people and that'd be a lot of time out of their day. Maybe it's light on options packages, but can anyone more familiar with BMW pricing think of any reason this might be so much cheaper? I know US hates wagons but even still...

You should absolutely do it OP, don’t be scared of the miles! Have the courage to take a good deal when it’s presented to you!1!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The last time I fell to goon pressure I bought this unreliable pos RS :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Sab669 posted:

The last time I fell to goon pressure I bought this unreliable pos RS :v:

Okay buy an S65 instead

Just a cool $145k :eyepop: