Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
use direct play imo, skip any transcoding issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Motronic posted:

What is happening is steadily getting worse for my purposes and use case. If you just want an ad-supported roku/fire channel then stay tuned because this is absolutely going to meet your expectations soon.

As a means of serving your own media, plex has only gotten better in the past year, IMO. More stable, nicer interface, more customization. All the ad supported stuff is more or less easy to turn off.

The ad stuff is annoying, sure and adds a few extra steps that didnt used to be there, but its a pretty big leap to assume theyll drop support for local content.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Gay Retard posted:

I share my Plex server out to a dozen or so friends who wouldn't be using Plex if they didn't have access to my server, and you'd all be surprised at how many of them actually watch the sponsored Plex content channels.

My friends only use it on accident, because they havent pinned/unpinned content. They think theyre watching my content. Once they clean it up, they never look at the ad crap again

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cornjob posted:

As a means of serving your own media, plex has only gotten better in the past year, IMO. More stable, nicer interface, more customization. All the ad supported stuff is more or less easy to turn off.

I haven't had any Plex stability or transcoding issues in years, and the "big" interface change that happened like 8 years ago is largely where they're still at with additional stuff bolted on. Sync still doesn't work right a good portion of the time.

So basically nothing of use has changed, improved or been added in a long time as far as I'm concerned. If this was an open source project without a profit motive they'd be in maintenance mode/keep up with client and hardware transcoding changes by now and maybe would have fixed goddamn sync.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I've been having an issue with my Plex server the past few weeks where some content will play immediately and some content will just show the loading spinner forever. This affects both me playing media locally and users who try and stream content.

I can't understand what the issue is, especially when some videos that won't load suddenly will if you exit them, load something known to work then switch back. Almost like you have to 'trick' Plex into working.

My server is running on an Nvidia shield and it up to date.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I've been hitting that too, using the Plex app on a Shield TV. Server is running elsewhere on an Ubuntu machine. Closing the app (not just backing out of it) then reopening has always resolved it so far.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Seems like bit of a workaround and I can't really do that every time someone who tries to watch something has an issue and calls me.

e: possibly related - how tf do you get radarr/sonarr to not download gigantic files? I wish there was a checkbox for "lowest filesize that is still 1080p" instead of a hundred bitrate sliders.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

nexus6 posted:

e: possibly related - how tf do you get radarr/sonarr to not download gigantic files? I wish there was a checkbox for "lowest filesize that is still 1080p" instead of a hundred bitrate sliders.
Uncheck bluray remux from your profiles.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

nexus6 posted:

I've been having an issue with my Plex server the past few weeks where some content will play immediately and some content will just show the loading spinner forever. This affects both me playing media locally and users who try and stream content.

I can't understand what the issue is, especially when some videos that won't load suddenly will if you exit them, load something known to work then switch back. Almost like you have to 'trick' Plex into working.

My server is running on an Nvidia shield and it up to date.

acksplode posted:

I've been hitting that too, using the Plex app on a Shield TV. Server is running elsewhere on an Ubuntu machine. Closing the app (not just backing out of it) then reopening has always resolved it so far.

Oh good, I thought it was just me. I've noticed that if I click another show, it starts right away. So I stop and go back to the episode I originally planned on watching and its fixed for the rest of the night.

I feel like we're going to be stuck with this until an update magically resolves it. With the changes at Plex, I feel like the server days are numbered.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Shield is always the most recommended device, but I definitely notice it’s the device with the most ‘something isn’t working right and nobody knows why’ issues too.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Agreed. Right now I only share with 1 other user who logs in maybe twice a month. My original plan was to setup an entire server for Plex but the Shield worked so well, I just never setup that server. Like I know there's issues but none so annoying that I have to drop $500 on a new tower.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've had that problem intermittently for over six months now on 3 separate Shields. Another issue that has cropped up more recently is when watching multiple episodes of a show, it kind of gets stuck on the next up/info page and starts playing the next episode in that little window. I'm almost to the point where I buy a Roku to see if that solves things.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

The latest update broke Plex on the shield. If you haven't already, get the hot fix. It fixed a lot of my issues with Plex.

Here is the reddit link if you want to read more about it.

Here is the link to sign up.

It takes about 24 hours to get the update and it breaks a few apps like Disney+ until an update from Google gets approved.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Burden posted:

The latest update broke Plex on the shield. If you haven't already, get the hot fix. It fixed a lot of my issues with Plex.

It takes about 24 hours to get the update and it breaks a few apps like Disney+ until an update from Google gets approved.

Not trolling or trying to sound like an rear end in a top hat and console wars are stupid but goddamn this post made me thankful for my AppleTV, drat. Sorry you have to deal with this.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Burden posted:

Ah, I've been deliberately avoiding that update since it broke so much stuff.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Matt Zerella posted:

Not trolling or trying to sound like an rear end in a top hat and console wars are stupid but goddamn this post made me thankful for my AppleTV, drat. Sorry you have to deal with this.

I've had my ShieldTV for a couple of years now and the last 6 months or so have been real disappointing and frustrating.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I'm at the point where I'll be doing a full home theater refresh in the next few years and I'm starting to picture what that would be without Plex or a Shield. If nVidia doesn't announce a new model soon, that may mean they are moving on.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

I've had my ShieldTV for a couple of years now and the last 6 months or so have been real disappointing and frustrating.

After reading that reddit thread I had to double check that I had automatic updates turned off.

The ShieldTV has been fantastic for me so far as a player. Smooth and responsive, easy to use, my wife learned the ins and outs of the controller right away, just a nice intuitive interface once I jailbroke it.
Hopefully it continues to play nice with my Plex server.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Bonzo posted:

I'm at the point where I'll be doing a full home theater refresh in the next few years and I'm starting to picture what that would be without Plex or a Shield. If nVidia doesn't announce a new model soon, that may mean they are moving on.

$300 is a lot to use it as a "streamer box," but if I were starting from nothing I could see doing an Xbox Series S with some kind of local media solution that isn't Plex. Good specs, really fast internal storage, and you know they're not going to stop supporting it any time soon. I know Roku makes some good stuff but they've always got some drama or bullshit going on.

Of course I used and loved a Kinect-equipped Xbone for like 5 years as The Only Input so maybe my brain is bad.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

How does the xbox series s/x work as a media streamer these days? Can you use it with a Harmony remote instead of a controller? Wading through gaming console menus to get to stuff will likely be a deal breaker for my wife. On the 360 you could boot directly into Windows Media Center, which worked awesome back in the old cable card tuner days.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

How does the xbox series s/x work as a media streamer these days? Can you use it with a Harmony remote instead of a controller? Wading through gaming console menus to get to stuff will likely be a deal breaker for my wife. On the 360 you could boot directly into Windows Media Center, which worked awesome back in the old cable card tuner days.

I'm not sure about direct booting, but you can access the apps through its own submenu and probably pin them for easy access. I think most of the streaming apps are basically as good as they get (so they support 4K and Dolby Vision if the service itself does). Plex is OK, subtitle support is a little lacking and it supports 4K HDR10 but not Dolby Vision I don't think.

They still support traditional IR remotes so you can probably make it work with a Harmony or similar without too much trouble.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Spend the money on a used Mac mini.

The footprint rules, looks fine around other AV equipment, no power brick, power draw is reasonable, native Plex install, minimal loving around when MacOS releases major version updates, Remote Desktop so if you do have to get into it you’re able to avoid command line if you want it, plenty of power to extract files and transcode antenna streams, gigabit Ethernet to connect to a NAS, usb3 if you have local storage.

I’ve had it for over 10 years at this point ad I know my original Mac mini would still do the job even though I’ve upgraded twice during the span because I have other things running on it.

Even that cost given how much I use it borders on worth it to me.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 14, 2022

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

sellouts posted:

Spend the money on a used Mac mini.

The footprint rules, looks fine around other AV equipment, no power brick, power draw is reasonable, native Plex install, minimal loving around when MacOS releases major version updates, Remote Desktop so if you do have to get into it you’re able to avoid command line if you want it, plenty of power to extract files and transcode antenna streams, gigabit Ethernet to connect to a NAS, usb3 if you have local storage.

I’ve had it for over 10 years at this point ad I know my original Mac mini would still do the job even though I’ve upgraded twice during the span because I have other things running on it.

Even that cost given how much I use it borders on worth it to me.

How are DRM-heavy streaming apps gonna like the Mac Mini? I know on the Windows end I have trouble getting max quality on some things for various reasons.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

What the hell? Just get an AppleTV, you don’t need a full blown Mac to serve media files.

I feel that some of you are really overcomplicating things

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

OS-wise the complicating factor always depends on what you do on the server beyond Plex. Like if you also want to do things like rip discs and run Sonarr/Radarr/Usenet and do manual tasks with MKV files that limits your options.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FCKGW posted:

What the hell? Just get an AppleTV, you don’t need a full blown Mac to serve media files.

I feel that some of you are really overcomplicating things

I think he means with regards to being the Plex Server too. I used a 2021 Mac Mini, and when I had issues and spent far too long trying to fix it I was considering going down the PC path to build something for Plex... I ended up just buying a new Mac Mini instead. They're just great, mines a brill little plex server and I spend the whole day remoted into it for general computer use too. I'm just gutted I bought riiiiight before the M1 Mac Mini came out, but just outside of the return window. Still salty.

univbee posted:

OS-wise the complicating factor always depends on what you do on the server beyond Plex. Like if you also want to do things like rip discs and run Sonarr/Radarr/Usenet and do manual tasks with MKV files that limits your options.

I run all of those in MacOS but I completely agree. Plex groups are always about 'Go to linux!' and its like... no, I don't want to spend half my life dealing with an OS I don't like using that much for almost zero noticeable gain to me.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MacOS and Linux are still at least full OSes that give you file system access and let you run any apps that exist on those respective platforms so they can do all of those things I mentioned except maybe some of the advanced Blu-ray and Ultra HD disc ripping. That gets a lot harder on more locked down platforms like the Nvidia Shield and Apple TV, although depending on how you futz with media that may not be an issue for some or even most Plex users.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Most NAS systems can run all your media Arrs in containers or plugins with very little setup.

If you want an easy mode NAS that is beefier for transcoding using old hardware there's UnRAID. It runs on Linux but has a very nice web gui.

You can get as in-depth or hands off with it as you want. But there's a whole other thread for that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I run my Plex server on an HP-S01 mini PC. Cost $110 and I just threw a small NVME drive into it and installed Ubuntu on it and let fly. Runs great, supposed to use 7-8w at idle.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I was already on the fence for a Series X, so decided to pull the trigger on one to replace my old Shield Pro. I've got an unraid server, so aside from games the series x will only have media app playback duties.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

If you want to move from a Shield with external hard drive(s) and don't want to deal with moving them into a NAS (I think shucking the drives means you need to reformat them, depending on the external drive), I'd just get a cheap NUC/used USFF PC and plug them into one of those.

I have had Plex lock up a couple of times on my Apple TV, but force closing it fixes it.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Matt Zerella posted:

Most NAS systems can run all your media Arrs in containers or plugins with very little setup.

If you want an easy mode NAS that is beefier for transcoding using old hardware there's UnRAID. It runs on Linux but has a very nice web gui.

You can get as in-depth or hands off with it as you want. But there's a whole other thread for that.

When I built a new PC, I delegated my old desktop to plex duty. It's still on windows, but one of these days I'll migrate it over to unraid.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I guess I should chime in again that I still have a Raspberry Pi 4 running Ubuntu+Docker, with Plex, Transmission, Nextcloud+Redis, Traefik, Geneweb, a RIPE Atlas probe, Samba, and a little static file httpd. It's also routing 3 VLAN-tagged subnets.

For clients I've been using a Chromecast (1080p), Amazon Fire Stick (1080p), Android phones (4k), Web browsers (probably like 2k), and my dad's Samsung smart TV (4k).

So far I have never wanted for CPU (except for Nextcloud, which is a total resource hog). I just haven't run into a situation where I need anything more. Most of my video is 720p, although I have a few 4k things that play just fine too.

e: vvv excellent point

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 14, 2022

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

cruft posted:

I guess I should chime in again that I still have a Raspberry Pi 4 running Ubuntu+Docker, with Plex, Transmission, Nextcloud+Redis, Traefik, Geneweb, a RIPE Atlas probe, Samba, and a little static file httpd. It's also routing 3 VLAN-tagged subnets.

I would normally recommend a pi, but they're extremely hard to get right now unless you pay ebay scalper prices, and at that point, a used SFF PC can be a bit cheaper and can handle 1080p transcodes.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I'm probably going to buy a NUC with an i7 (over kill for plex but at least future proof) and install Windows Server on it and then attach a USB enclosure for drives, not a full blow synology. That way I can have something with a small form factor, looks nice, but I can also run Docker/VMs for the "$arrs", pihole, Home Assist, Plex, etc.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Wait, Pi's are being scalped?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

phosdex posted:

Wait, Pi's are being scalped?

chip shortage means they can't make enough hobbyist SKUs to keep up with demand.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Bonzo posted:

I'm probably going to buy a NUC with an i7 (over kill for plex but at least future proof) and install Windows Server on it and then attach a USB enclosure for drives, not a full blow synology. That way I can have something with a small form factor, looks nice, but I can also run Docker/VMs for the "$arrs", pihole, Home Assist, Plex, etc.

Just be sure to check whether the NUC you buy supports HW transcodes by Plex… the NUC 11 does not (yet).

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Just be sure to check whether the NUC you buy supports HW transcodes by Plex… the NUC 11 does not (yet).

counterpoint: get target devices that allow direct play and never worry about your plex server hardware again because everything will just work swimmingly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

A Plex server is just one of the many things I use my Shield for, can't imagine going back to an actual computer hooked up to the TV and trying to watch YouTube or Netflix in a browser. It's just annoying that Plex doesn't work properly sometimes - how do I get loading spinners for local media? Kodi just plays it!