Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Mordja posted:

Is the only reason Mann's involved because of the name

He's creating the Vice cinematic universe, which includes Miami Vice (1984), Miami Vice (2006), and Vice (2018).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Inherent vice too

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i thought i heard he was finished with the Viceaverse, in an interview he was quoted as saying "no more mr vice guy"

oh this was a great ep of rlm, high spirits

Mozi fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 14, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Vice Kids, airing Saturday Mornings

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Basticle posted:

I mostly skim this thread but earlier someone linked a Scaredy Cats video and now I'm finding myself binging on them

I very much need Matt to be a guest on a Best of the Worst and show them House IV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lw42kMBSYc

Yeah it's good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Inherent vice too

More movies need a drugged up Joaquin Phoenix.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

bitterandtwisted posted:

I vaguely remember The Baldy Man, but not well enough to say if it was funny or not. He was played by Gregor Fisher, best known for Rab C. Nesbit.

Good WotW ep that

The Bye-ByeBaldy Man

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Arc Hammer posted:

More movies need a drugged up Joaquin Phoenix.

did you find his home movies

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The Fisher King (1991)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO98KBzS2Po

I don't know how I missed this movie all these years. Mental illness, romance, drama, comedy, a little fantasy, it's freakin great.

Terry Gilliam at the height of his powers, same with Robin Williams, and Jeff Bridges. A+ all around! Mercedes Ruehl plays a wonderful lady too, dream gf!

So, great, great movie in all aspects, the only flaw for me was that it romanticizes the hobo life a little and it glosses over stuff like uhhh eating from a trash can. But depression is not the objective here, anyway.

By far the most fantastical stuff is how some rando on the street can have an accident, get hospital treatment and doctors just go "Yeah we'll send them to a place to be taken care of" and nobody is worried about payments or anything. Incredible!

I award this a fantastic 4.5 Comfys out of 5 and a carpenter's level ruler, so next time they can check that the camera is straight because there's a ton of skewed/dutch angles here!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

The Fisher King (1991)

I don't know how I missed this movie all these years. Mental illness, romance, drama, comedy, a little fantasy, it's freakin great.

Terry Gilliam at the height of his powers, same with Robin Williams, and Jeff Bridges. A+ all around! Mercedes Ruehl plays a wonderful lady too, dream gf!

So, great, great movie in all aspects, the only flaw for me was that it romanticizes the hobo life a little and it glosses over stuff like uhhh eating from a trash can. But depression is not the objective here, anyway.

By far the most fantastical stuff is how some rando on the street can have an accident, get hospital treatment and doctors just go "Yeah we'll send them to a place to be taken care of" and nobody is worried about payments or anything. Incredible!

I award this a fantastic 4.5 Comfys out of 5 and a carpenter's level ruler, so next time they can check that the camera is straight because there's a ton of skewed/dutch angles here!

Great movie, but :lol: just :lol: at the idea of a right-wing blowhard DJ feeling bad about one of his fans doing a mass shooting because of something he said.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

watching this made me lol and remember the other Westerner In Japan movie we're getting. seems like a fun double feature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IOsk2Vlc4o&t=5s

e: oh wait Tokyo Vice is a TV show. welp

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
dc is entering adult swim territory

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1503447600363618311

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hell yeah. Kite Man was the best part of the Harley Quinn show and it was great when he finally stood up for himself after all the poo poo Harley and Ivy did to him.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The Fisher King (1991)

why did u link to an unboxing video instead of anything else

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

why did u link to an unboxing video instead of anything else

I tried to find a trailer that didn’t spoil the whole movie and failed

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

I tried to find a trailer that didn’t spoil the whole movie and failed

If the choice is “unboxing video” or “al qaeda beheading video” unboxing would lose every time.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

What if it’s the box from Seven

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I am watching The Witcher and it is decent. This is a Netflix series so Hell must be frozen over. I am also watching Squid Game and it is good. Don't know what happens to Hell when there are two not terrible Netflix series.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Which season of the Witcher? Also squid game is good but it manages to poo poo itself five minutes, if that, before the ending credits roll on the last episode

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I'm at season 1 ep 7 where the timelines merge together. Very odd linearity in this series but I'm sure it's a book-adaptation thing.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The really good commentary track editor guy did a full movie version of the Batman and Robin commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGbxloPH2C0

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yeah s1 is pretty cool overall but they dropped the ball on S2. I didn't care for finishing it.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Scaramouche posted:

The really good commentary track editor guy did a full movie version of the Batman and Robin commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGbxloPH2C0
Pat Hingle! I am Single and Ready to Mingle!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/abrahamjoseph/status/1503358735359660033?s=20&t=fYi9L0TYjgkfOsNu_0sJ1w

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I saw AppleTV+ has a show about WeWork but I dunno if I could take watching a story about the insufferable jackass CEO being played by the insufferable jackass actor Jared Leto.. Maybe their Jackassedry will cancel out?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

priznat posted:

I saw AppleTV+ has a show about WeWork but I dunno if I could take watching a story about the insufferable jackass CEO being played by the insufferable jackass actor Jared Leto.. Maybe their Jackassedry will cancel out?

In a world with basically infinite entertainment options at our fingertips, I think I can afford to skip it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

General Dog posted:

In a world with basically infinite entertainment options at our fingertips, I think I can afford to skip it.

Yeah it’s not what I would really consider compelling viewing. I listened to the Behind the Bastards podcast on the guy and that was enough (spoiler: he’s a real shithead)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

priznat posted:

It seems to be running a distant third in the "fictionalized accounts of real-life scammers" race right now, behind the Anna Delvey show on Netflix and the Elizabeth Holmes show on Hulu.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

It seems to be running a distant third in the "fictionalized accounts of real-life scammers" race right now, behind the Anna Delvey show on Netflix and the Elizabeth Holmes show on Hulu.

Lol I didn’t even realize that was a whole genre onto itself these days. I’m not really interested in any of it tbh, just thought it was weird how Leto got cast as an rear end in a top hat with extremely similar vibes. Seems too easy of a casting decision!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Anna Delvey show sucks. Elizabeth Holmes show good.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Someone in the comments offered some info on the Japanese video:

quote:

I'm a Japanese translator and an embarrassing weirdo. So I'm excited to share the info about the Japanese tape. It's made for junior high students and it's called "Messages from the Future: what you need to know about AIDS"

I'll reply to this comment as I watch the episode, and provide translations.

Okay we're finally on the video. (That second video was great)
The reason the kids are dressed in business suits is because they're school uniforms.

The kids get visited by humanity from the future. They bring up Magic Johnson because he's got AIDS. The future kid brings the modern-day kids down to the cellular level to teach them about AIDS and the immune system

So the family: the parents Patrick and Lauren Park both have to AIDS. Lauren got it through sex. Patrick got it through blood contact.

The chart they show around 45:30 is about the rise of AIDS patients in Japan.

Also, the family isn't in Wisconsin. RLM misheard the Japanese words for "person/people with AIDS" which is pronounced "eizu uirusu kansensha". They thought the latter part was "Wisconsin."

The video said the whole family had aids except the little girl Nicole. Presumably, that included the toddler Dwight.

They kept mishearing "Wisconsin" after that because the word for "infected" is "kansen" which sounds similar to the state.

There's also "eizu kanja" for "AIDS patient." Lots of variants of the words that they kept mishearing.

The woman at 48:00 is named Allison Gertz (Gartz? Not sure of the spelling). They have a recreation of her with Japanese voiceover. It seems like she got AIDS after having sex for the first time. Not sure if that's dramatization for the video or what.

All in all, it does seem to be a genuine video for the time (not intentional misinformation). Not sure why there was new York and stuff in the background--rlm didn't include any parts that provided explanation hah

Today I learned that the Japanese word for "infected" sounds like "Wisconsin." :thumbsup:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I'm surprisingly disappointed that none of that video was about Wisconsin.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Murdstone posted:

I'm surprisingly disappointed that none of that video was about Wisconsin.

:same:

I’m originally from Wisconsin, too. It seemed super weird that there was a Japanese video about AIDS in Wisconsin, but somehow on point.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Someone in the comments offered some info on the Japanese video:

Today I learned that the Japanese word for "infected" sounds like "Wisconsin." :thumbsup:

RLM 2022: The Japanese word for infected sounds like Wisconsin.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Arc Hammer posted:

RLM 2022: The Japanese word for infected sounds like Wisconsin.

Yes, let’s do this!!!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Everything on AppleTV is super mild, I’d skip it unless you’re really interested

Applies to most stuff in ATV, really

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
“Wisconsin Syndrome” would make an excellent euphemism for AIDS

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

stillvisions posted:

Watching Kick-rear end 2 they showed the Paramount theatre downtown; we were watching it in the Paramount. The audience had a good laugh and cheer at that.
Seven pages ago, but this happened to me with Transformers 2. There's a part where they go to a museum to find a transformer that's a plane or some poo poo, and the museum is the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy annex, and I was watching the movie in the Imax theater in the building.

Except when you walk out the back of the museum irl you're not in the Arizona desert.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Everything on AppleTV is super mild, I’d skip it unless you’re really interested

Applies to most stuff in ATV, really

Severance rules, it's really really good.

I like Foundation too but it's nothing revolutionary apart from the amount they presumably spent on it, it looks amazing at times.

Also Wolfwalkers is really great animation. But most AppleTV+ stuff is pretty mild, for sure. I can't see them having something like The Boys etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That is some real good cheery menace