Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

GoutPatrol posted:

When I bought my car 3 years ago, I made the choice to buy a new $22,000 car rather than take that 22K and be a down payment on something much nicer. I think many people would make the opposite.

Jesus christ. There would be so many fuckin people NOT in debt*** if they just did this.

***Yes, I know there are poo poo loads of people in debt because the system is poo poo, and not from dumb financial decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Jesus christ. There would be so many fuckin people NOT in debt*** if they just did this.

***Yes, I know there are poo poo loads of people in debt because the system is poo poo, and not from dumb financial decisions.

Right but I like the cars my dumb financial decisions let me drive and you don't get anything for dying with the highest score.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Subaru was supply constrained for yeeeeeears so the lower sales numbers they had were simply they couldnt get stock fast enough and enthusuists are actually a good part of how they developed their rabid fanbase as the "rally car company". Those performace versions they kept making 10 years ago did not hang around dealerships. The number of homes where the wife gets an Outback and the husband get the WRX arent just something for my driveway.

The actual fact is that their success was built 10-15 years ago when they had a range considerably better cars than the turds they are making GBS threads out now. They can coast on that for a few more years but I would suggest when there is nothing left to draw people into showrooms other than cars more bland and boring than Camrys then they are setting themselves up to fail. Especially with the switchover to hybrids and EV's gathering pace, why should I look at a Subaru when down the road Kai and Hyundai are knocking it out of the park with their offerings?

everyone i know with a bland and boring subaru loving loves the thing

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I think people love their Subarus so not sure I agree that they are going to pay a price for their current moves. Anecdotally, my neighbor traded in his WRX Sti for a Tesla model 3 and then they bought an Outback. Subaru is also the only company that sells anything resembling a wagon that sells well, though those are slowly turning in to SUVs.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the rest of the models are boring but the new brz is great. its a far better enthusiast car than any wrx made in the last 10 years.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Oops...All Cladding!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BrownieVK posted:

How the gently caress does everyone have so much money lol

tech jobs start at $200k now and anyone who owns any property on the coasts is worth like $1m on paper

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Throatwarbler posted:

tech jobs start at $200k now and anyone who owns any property on the coasts is worth like $1m on paper

Hi, have a tech job. I've never made anywhere near that.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
No public sector entity would have any IT workers at all if that were remotely true and that'd go for just about every small-midsize business outside tech or finance as well.

I generally assume anyone who goes around making statements like that either isn't in IT themselves or living in a rich person bubble and having a "$10 banana" moment.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Neo_Crimson posted:

Time for a new job

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Throatwarbler posted:

That's nowhere near true. Only a select few companies even offer tech jobs with that kind of salary

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

everyone i know with a bland and boring subaru loving loves the thing

I love my bland and for now boring Forester - gently caress ever considering a new one.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

It's so annoying to be better and better at my job and yet I'm falling farther behind the salaries people are pulling in and getting pigeonholed in the process. I needed this blackpill this early in the morning.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Neo_Crimson posted:

they start at 200k now not when you started, you just need to quit and start again.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Maybe in NYC, California, Texas and Boston but I assure you there are TONS of people in Tech not making anywhere near that kind of money. I know lots of them lol

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That's nowhere near true. Only a select few companies even offer tech jobs with that kind of salary

Even Amazon had a salary cap of 200k for tech workers until literally this year.

Very few people in tech make 200k and most of the ones who do are in very specific roles and work in extremely competitive markets or have a decade+ of experience. Not everyone is in "tech" is a DevOps engineer living in SF.

Hell, I work for a SF based company and I have a decade of experience and I still don't make 200k. I'm trying to move into management for that specific reason.

BloodBag posted:

It's so annoying to be better and better at my job and yet I'm falling farther behind the salaries people are pulling in and getting pigeonholed in the process. I needed this blackpill this early in the morning.

Don't tell anyone your current salary in an interview.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 15, 2022

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KillHour posted:

Even Amazon had a salary cap of 200k for tech workers until literally this year.

This is really disingenuous, Amazon's pay structure was that they'll give you more in stock every single year than your salary. And on the first year where you aren't getting as much stock, they give you a huge cash bonus that pays out monthly.

Amazon came to my city in the bad deep south, and remade the white collar job market. Everyone is getting paid so much more now.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KillHour posted:

Don't tell anyone your current salary in an interview.

This.

Tell them what your target salary is, and always give them the highest number you can say without smiling. Make it clear that your current position and the new position have different responsibilities and tasks, so any discussion of salary must be based on the new position.

If they insist, either walk out the door or give them the same number as your target salary, as mentioned above.

They have no way of checking your current salary, so you can tell them whatever you want.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
there is a whole very good thread on salary negotiation in BFC

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I love my bland and for now boring Forester - gently caress ever considering a new one.

sure, you're nowhere near representative, though. meanwhile a bunch of my yuppie friends who like the outdoors but dont care about driving at all are buying the new bad outback, the crosstrek, and the forester in huge quantities and just egging each other on to buy them because they're so great!!! the crosstrek proliferation in particular has been disturbing.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was out of work last summer, spent a while looking for a full-time remote programming position. Have close to 10 years experience. They asked salary wise, I told them I was making $85K and while more would be nice I wasn't unhappy with where I was at. They turned me down because other candidates were asking for $15K less lol.

And yea like every single person at my climbing gym drives some flavor of Subaru (and it isn't a WRX or BRZ)

More on topic, I wish an EV made sense for me, I loving love the look of the Ioniq 5.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I keep looking at the rising MSRPs of every car, and how 35K is pretty much poverty spec model now, and it makes no sense. I kept thinking to myself "who the gently caress is making enough money for this poo poo?"
According to this thread in the last page, EVERYONE.
I dont live in a swamp or town of 15 either. Kindly send over your recruiter and or hook ups for these 200K tech jobs everyone is talking about. Ill give you a ride in my new Porsche Macan GTS as soon as I get my first check.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Looks like I'm hanging onto my little Jetta for as long as it'll carry me. New car prices are loving insane. 35k used to be what you paid for like a well specced GTI or Golf R.

Now I think those run for 45-50k. Also RIP if you don't work a tech job. I'm in chemical distribution so I make 70k CAD which means like 55k USD. + bonuses that get me up to maybe 65k. Plus I'm changing careers so I'll be taking a massive paycut for a few years until I spool up to where I need to be.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Franco Caution posted:

35K is pretty much poverty spec model now, and it makes no sense

:shrug: You can get a fully loaded Corolla for $24-26K MSRP on Toyota's website. Civics aren't much more expensive. But our culture is obsessed with SUVs so no one is buying the cheap sedans, and probably not in cheaper low end trims either.

But given that the average age of a new buyer is only going up (53 years old), it makes sense the average price is also going up. They're going to be the most financially stable buyers. So of course they're going to be buying the higher trims of more expensive models. Ease of financing for younger, less well off buyers is also driving up the bottom end of the market too.

And why buy those cheaper cars new when you can get a much better car on the used market for the same money? [Pre Covid, anyways]

The richer get richer, the poor get poorer

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 15, 2022

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Franco Caution posted:

I keep looking at the rising MSRPs of every car, and how 35K is pretty much poverty spec model now, and it makes no sense. I kept thinking to myself "who the gently caress is making enough money for this poo poo?"
According to this thread in the last page, EVERYONE.
I dont live in a swamp or town of 15 either. Kindly send over your recruiter and or hook ups for these 200K tech jobs everyone is talking about. Ill give you a ride in my new Porsche Macan GTS as soon as I get my first check.

I don't get it either: the average selling price of a new car being 40k is nuts to me. Same thing goes for the housing market. I have no idea who all of these people are.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Lexus, why the gently caress did you not make the rear seats of the ES300h fold down so you can passthrough the trunk????? The cabin noise wouldn't have been that different come on. Also when are you making a lift back version.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sab669 posted:

I was out of work last summer, spent a while looking for a full-time remote programming position. Have close to 10 years experience. They asked salary wise, I told them I was making $85K and while more would be nice I wasn't unhappy with where I was at. They turned me down because other candidates were asking for $15K less lol.

The gently caress.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

KillHour posted:

Very few people in tech make 200k and most of the ones who do are in very specific roles and work in extremely competitive markets or have a decade+ of experience. Not everyone is in "tech" is a DevOps engineer living in SF.

The trick is to move into a sales facing technical role where everyone is wildly overpaid.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The trick is to move into a sales facing technical role where everyone is wildly overpaid.

I was a sales engineer and then I was global training lead and then I was customer success manager and now I'm principal consultant where's my loving stacks Bezos!?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Head Bee Guy posted:

Oops...All Cladding!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

The gently caress.

Welcome to Tech Jobs in completely average* rear end places in the country and not the "200K starting" hyperbole people actually post :v:

*Actually well under average by most metrics, but even on that I still felt like a king before getting an even better paying job than before.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

KillHour posted:

I was a sales engineer and then I was global training lead and then I was customer success manager and now I'm principal consultant where's my loving stacks Bezos!?

You’re supposed to stay in the SE role and just jump from company to company every few years for a raise.

Amazon will absolutely pay you more than 200k to be a Solutions Architect, for instance.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You’re supposed to stay in the SE role and just jump from company to company every few years for a raise.

Amazon will absolutely pay you more than 200k to be a Solutions Architect, for instance.

If I'm in the same role for more than 3 years I get twitchy. I've actually been at my current company for longer than any previous, but they better come through with a real raise this year or so help me.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
It came early. I picked up last night. I like it so far! The seat dimensions are incredibly similar to the Ford focus, but since it's a bit taller it's a lot more comfortable.

I may be getting old because I'm thinking that giving a 250hp/277ftlb engine option on an economy vehicle is bordering on irresponsible!

Edit: for those wondering, ordered mid October :negative:

Kunabomber fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 16, 2022

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Quoted myself by mistake.

Kunabomber fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 16, 2022

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

i wish i could get paid to be a Problems Architect.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Wistful of Dollars posted:

i wish i could get paid to be a Problems Architect.

That’s what we call “being on the customer side.”

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sab669 posted:

Welcome to Tech Jobs in completely average* rear end places in the country and not the "200K starting" hyperbole people actually post :v:

*Actually well under average by most metrics, but even on that I still felt like a king before getting an even better paying job than before.

I'm in Phoenix with similar years of experience / senior dev. Kinda curious to compare COL between where we are.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I pay $850 for a two bedroom apartment with a parking space in pretty much the nicest area of Buffalo NY. It's pretty cheap here, although external investors are wising up recently :(

e; The first few calculators I've googled suggest a similar COL between the two though, that surprises me.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 15, 2022

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak

Russian Bear posted:

Lexus, why the gently caress did you not make the rear seats of the ES300h fold down so you can passthrough the trunk????? The cabin noise wouldn't have been that different come on. Also when are you making a lift back version.

I have a 2004 Jaguar S-Type where the rear seats fold down but there's a panel of sheet metal across all but the armrest passthrough.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sab669 posted:

e; The first few calculators I've googled suggest a similar COL between the two though, that surprises me.

My customer is in Phoenix. If you ever went there in August, you would no longer be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Russian Bear posted:

Congrats on your Accord Hybrid then