Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Untranslated from the original Geek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Nocheez posted:

I ain't reading all that. Sum it up in one word.

uh, "shityerpants"

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Nocheez posted:

You could probably do that in Turkish, but it wouldn’t be any shorter.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

"Hey guys, is this giant mass of metal supposed to be moving in weird unexplained spurts?"
"Nah it's fine, keep doing what you're doing."
[Very nearly dies in resulting accident]

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

kw0134 posted:

"Hey guys, is this giant mass of metal supposed to be moving in weird unexplained spurts?"
"Nah it's fine, keep doing what you're doing."
[Very nearly dies in resulting accident]

Posts on SA:

"In a world where everyone has turned into a pussy, with people making careers out of being offended on the behalf of other people, and with lawyers having worked with insurance companies to take all of the good honest fun out of getting your hands dirty and doing something dangerous, this was heaven for a twenty-something country boy."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That paragraph was very much, as the kids say these days, ‘cringe’.

I didn’t write it. I shudder to imagine putting a comma splice on the first line.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
In a world where everyone is a pussy, the man with all the heavy-flo tamps is king.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Lmao, bunch of makers don't understand elasticity.

You could just cut the struts on the cableway and let physics do the rest. One dude could have dropped the whole drat thing with a few simple calculations.

You were the meth heads, weren't you?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

That'd be fun as hell. Back when I was in college I did an engineering-related internship, and by far the best thing about it was that they took all the interns out to a work machine test facility and let us go hog wild with them for a day. Excavators, dozers, trucks, all sorts of stuff. Tons of fun, and neat to see just how intuitive a lot of the big machine controls could be.

When I was a kid (grade 7 or 8, I think) they were doing some road work just down the street from our house and I'd often stop and chat with the workers on my way home from school. One day they were feeling magnanimous, gave me a quick run-down of the controls, and let me climb into the excavator and pick up and drop a few bucketloads of dirt, while one of them stood on the treads and gave me pointers. It was fun as hell and also, I am quite sure, something they were not meant to ever do.

A park like that would have been catnip to grade-school me.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Lmao, bunch of makers don't understand elasticity.

You could just cut the struts on the cableway and let physics do the rest. One dude could have dropped the whole drat thing with a few simple calculations.

You were the meth heads, weren't you?

I was totally thinking that this would be an easier method...

They weren't math heads, that's for sure.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nocheez posted:

Platystemon posted:

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What I want to know is how it was that the “meth heads” got all the smaller conductors, but they did not chase them upstream to the motherlode.

It’s described as “so well hidden, tucked away in the beams and camouflaged in the grunge”, but some it was in easy reach for our protagonists, in and around the switchgear cabinets that the smaller conductors must have run to.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ToxicFrog posted:

When I was a kid (grade 7 or 8, I think) they were doing some road work just down the street from our house and I'd often stop and chat with the workers on my way home from school. One day they were feeling magnanimous, gave me a quick run-down of the controls, and let me climb into the excavator and pick up and drop a few bucketloads of dirt, while one of them stood on the treads and gave me pointers. It was fun as hell and also, I am quite sure, something they were not meant to ever do.

A park like that would have been catnip to grade-school me.

Lol, that's awesome. Presumably un-OSHA as hell, but who cares.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

DiHK posted:

I was totally thinking that this would be an easier method...

They weren't math heads, that's for sure.

It's literally a 2 force member problem, except they're all in tension, so you just calculate the margin of safety as a function of number of struts, trim to 110% of the qty required for MS=1, then notch a couple and deadblow hammer that SOB until it unzips.

Instead, they choose to straddle what sounds like a description of a failing anchor.

That's OSHA! Anchor failures:https://youtu.be/hMytHt1D1go

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 14, 2022

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Platystemon posted:

That paragraph was very much, as the kids say these days, ‘cringe’.

I didn’t write it. I shudder to imagine putting a comma splice on the first line.

Oh, I didn't know this was a reddit repost, and was about to ask some questions.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 14, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Platystemon posted:

What I want to know is how it was that the “meth heads” got all the smaller conductors, but they did not chase them upstream to the motherlode.

It’s described as “so well hidden, tucked away in the beams and camouflaged in the grunge”, but some it was in easy reach for our protagonists, in and around the switchgear cabinets that the smaller conductors must have run to.
I think 480V mainlines have a reputation in the "scrapper" community for being hard to tell if it's hot, hard to cut safely if it is, and just being an rear end in a top hat to rip out between it's size and tendency to run through concrete or rafters. It turning into a run away anchor chain is just one fun option of the CYOA of scrapping a mainline.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They were so relieved that the cable missed them. They didn’t realize that it doomed to to agonizing deaths from ærosolized pigeon droppings.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Platystemon posted:

They were so relieved that the cable missed them. They didn’t realize that it doomed to to agonizing deaths from ærosolized pigeon droppings.

Wasn't there a House MD episode about that?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

It's literally a 2 force member problem, except they're all in tension, so you just calculate the margin of safety as a function of number of struts, trim to 110% of the qty required for MS=1, then notch a couple and deadblow hammer that SOB until it unzips.

Instead, they choose to straddle what sounds like a description of a failing anchor.

That's OSHA! Anchor failures:https://youtu.be/hMytHt1D1go

Dude I just make the pictures, keep your powder dry for my engineer.

(I would buy and wear a "the REAL CAD Operator arrives" shirt.)

edit: "Everybody thinks they know when to use fractional or decimal references untill..."

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

DiHK posted:

Dude I just make the pictures, keep your powder dry for my engineer.

(I would buy and wear a "the REAL CAD Operator arrives" shirt.)

edit: "Everybody thinks they know when to use fractional or decimal references untill..."

CAD/CAM was my first foray into engineering. The vagaries of GD&T are my bread and butter.

I caught a systemic error with composite tolerances not having their boxes touching. It was costing millions a year in scrapped hardware because the mfg team was limiting themselves to half the available tolerance.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The RLM guys did another 'Best of the Worst' random tapes pick, and the second was very thread appropriate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khcf1hWX1B4&t=1656s
^^Timestamped.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

e. let's not.

RoastBeef fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 14, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The RLM guys did another 'Best of the Worst' random tapes pick, and the second was very thread appropriate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khcf1hWX1B4&t=1656s
^^Timestamped.

This tape is so good I honestly hope they can get the rest.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Unperson_47 posted:

Safety notwithstanding but wouldn't it be better to use a heavy roller type thing that you manually roll along this for better adhesion?

Nah, too much pressure on the main section would press the grit into the tar. Too much pressure at the edge would make too much of the tar expell and gently caress up the seam.
He's doing a good job there, it's a fucker to do and I'm happy that I'll never have to do it again. Looks safer than any time I ended up doing it in the past. That's not saying much though.
Roofers, what a breed of degenerates

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It is also a telekinetic tire. Rubber is an amazing film.

What's really amazing is that the tyre being telekinetic is probably the sanest part of the movie. It goes absolutely bonkers.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/cWUIACG.mp4

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I kept waiting for a shark to jump out the water and chomp his legs off…but it didn’t happen.
:geno:

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7074709649961930026

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

drat at least give the guy a boatswain's chair those harnesses are not fun to dangle in long term.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cartoon Man posted:

I kept waiting for a shark to jump out the water and chomp his legs off…but it didn’t happen.

Guess I'm not the only one who caught Batman '66 on youtube instead of going to watch The Batman.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/u96HTXf.mp4

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Work smarter, not harder.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Cartoon Man posted:

The only thing i could watch was the angle grinder.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Met this guy on my hotel balcony this afternoon. Someone didn't wear their safety boots!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nocheez posted:

Metal heavy.

Wait, that's two words. Can I have another go?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Met this guy on my hotel balcony this afternoon. Someone didn't wear their safety boots!

Ba dum bada bum baaaaa
Steal fries from danger

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

By popular demand posted:

Do people actually need this cartoon to figure out that a squashed and bent rebar frame is bad?

E:Oh wait it's about the proper angle to support the thing.

Basically this used to not be a big deal...

...except when concrete outside the rebar spalls due to, say, lateral loads like seismic, the hoops just pop out unless they have a 135 degree loop. For reference:

You can see the spiral columns (another way to avoid this) lost all their outer concrete but confined the concrete within so they didn't lose axial load until the whole building's lateral eccentricity made it unstable. The bottom was all square columns with 90 degree hooks. It...well there's a reason you can barely tell there are columns there at all.

Concrete is wild stuff; confine it in a few hoops of rebar and it can get many times stronger and be much more ductile.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

This just came across my email. To quote our maintenance manager: "That's a zipper rupture. Run away!"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I don’t normally get sad about seagulls but now I am :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Kibayasu posted:

I don’t normally get sad about seagulls but now I am :smith:

Wild animals get injured and die all the time, that's just part of life.

The reason you see a bunch of one-footed seagulls is because that's one of the few injuries that are realistically survivable.