Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I just got Lusat's Glintstone Staff which is supposed to be the best staff in the game. The wiki says it's bugged though. Before I put any resources into upgrading it - is it bugged? Does the effect work?

Eh, its a 50% increase in FP used for a 10-13% damage boost. Not nothing but I personally didn't find it worth it.

The best staff is probably the Carian Regal Staff you get from Rennala's remnant since it has the same scaling but no FP increase. You lose about 10% damage but also have enough juice to actually kill enemies. Lusat's is only really useful if you're using the 'do not consume FP' mixture with Azur Comet to melt a big boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

drunken officeparty posted:

Whoever thought these rolling spike chariot dungeons were a good idea needs to be shot into the sun

There are secret paths you can take that make them 90% easier

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

vandalism posted:

Not sure how much I agree with that claim but limgrave is 12/10, Liurnia is like 11/10, Leyndell is like 10/10 and caelid is poison swamp/10. Then from snow zone til the end its like 7/10.

It doesn't help that the snow zone is bigger than Altus + Liurnia combined but has like half the content.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Zore posted:

Eh, its a 50% increase in FP used for a 10-13% damage boost. Not nothing but I personally didn't find it worth it.

The best staff is probably the Carian Regal Staff you get from Rennala's remnant since it has the same scaling but no FP increase. You lose about 10% damage but also have enough juice to actually kill enemies. Lusat's is only really useful if you're using the 'do not consume FP' mixture with Azur Comet to melt a big boss.

Carian Regal is the baller staff and works with moon magic which is where it's at.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Zore posted:

I found that by the time you get to around 30-40 mind you don’t really have to worry about FP that much. The damage boost does make a huge difference when dealing with trash mobs, as it can mean the difference between using 2 pebbles to kill something versus 3, which makes the act of clearing trash mobs that much better.

Considering nearly every boss has a stake of marika near it, meaning you can go into almost every boss fight with max potions, I found the damage buff to ultimately be worth it especially when coupling the extra damage from the staff with extra damage from knights resolve.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Zore posted:

Is the prince of death's staff not better?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Going through Raya Lucaria as a caster in NG+ with all my tools and mimic, how on earth did casters deal with this place at level?? Like man I thought it was rough as a melee class but these mother fuckers seem even worse as a caster

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

They really front loaded the staves didn't they? I've got like 4 of the top 5 staves and I haven't finished the third area. I think I'm maybe halfway through the game.

There's a ton of them, but they're all pretty meh. They certainly frontloaded all the good ones. Carian Regal requires a boss but it's the easiest boss. Meteorite's initial scaling and no need for upgrade makes it the best until you can pump +6 into Regal, and Lusat's is great but limited to enemies you can oneshot.

There's a late-game staff that is potentially the best in the game as long as you have 60 Int and 60 Fai, but at that point it's just a NG+ victory lap and you really don't need it. Then you get a bunch that are "good for X spells" except you never use X spells and the staff scaling sucks. :/

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's cool if you actually use death sorceries but it also uses regular smithing stones to upgrade which is an asspain.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Macaluso posted:

Going through Raya Lucaria as a caster in NG+ with all my tools and mimic, how on earth did casters deal with this place at level?? Like man I thought it was rough as a melee class but these mother fuckers seem even worse as a caster

That's where I spent 10 points on dex and broke out the whip, only really using glintstone pebbles to get aggro or chip something to death. Nothing in there can stand up to HYAH HYAH GET BACK SORCERER GET BACK MAGICIAN HYAH

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

You need heavy Faith investment for it to scale better, it upgrades off normal stones so its much harder to upgrade and it boosts some of the worst spells in the game

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Macaluso posted:

You get yourself an Int scaling sword and learn to stab. I was really glad I came across the Carian knight's sword before I went in

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Eej posted:

but even though it looks really cool powerstancing spears is probably the worst melee experience I've had in this game.
I absolutely shredded maliketh with powerstanced cross nagitana+spiked spear so ymmv

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Being a caster doesn't mean you don't have a regular weapon for easy/magic resistant enemies :v:

Rusty Anchor destroys them even when its magic infused.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Zore posted:

Malenia suuuucks. Why did you make a boss that heals every time they hit you?

Good news is she's fairly predictable about what she does, moreso than most bosses. She very rarely goes full ham aggro on you (except for the wombo combo and the occasional telegraphed dash stab), she tries to hang back, flutterstep away from your swing and then hit you. I had a lot of luck baiting that first swing and hitting her when she landed. Ended up being pretty fun

And then comes phase 2 which sucks rear end and I can't even pretend to justify it. Cheese that poo poo with whatever you got

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

vandalism posted:

I just read a claim that I think makes sense.

The claim is that they didn't playtest the endgame. It makes sense. Everything deals a ridiculous amount of damage once you get to the snow zone. Like you need 80 vig to take one extra hot from the bosses.

Not sure how much I agree with that claim but limgrave is 12/10, Liurnia is like 11/10, Leyndell is like 10/10 and caelid is poison swamp/10. Then from snow zone til the end its like 7/10.

Just my latest spicy hot take.

there is definitely a noticeable lack of QA the further you go on in the game, which is, admittedly, not abnormal for large games. stuff like mountaintops being so poorly tuned and empty, tons of copy-paste repeat bosses, enemies that seem completely ill-fit for where they're placed (ulcerous tree spirit's original shoe box arena, the pest sorcerers in sellia caves comically glitching into the floor, leech corpses yeeting themselves out of sewer pipes, the giant blade lions getting stuck on wooden ramparts in various castles, etc.), oddly balanced subzones (zamor knights being harder than some minibosses, and then the next enemy you run into is birds that die in two hits), weapon arts and spells ranging from "absolutely useless" to "100% gamebreakingly powerful," great runes aside from godrick's being complete garbage, etc. etc.

it probably needed another year to cook in the oven, but six years for a single video game is simply too much development time to ask for

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Blue Raider posted:

The shaded castle is a bad area. A dookie area.

I didn't think it was all that bad except for 2 major bullshit encounters.
-The perfume guys shooting you with their glitter through the wall. (if that's not a glitch and it's intended that is some ROYAL bullshit)
-The hyper aggressive amalgam revenant guy in the courtyard.

I laughed that the boss is the same guy I had to kill on my archer to be able to easily craft arrows.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Zore posted:

Being a caster doesn't mean you don't have a regular weapon for easy/magic resistant enemies :v:

I am a small angry mage with a morning star and a shield.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

aw it really sucks there isn't ultrawide support. The game looks so pretty in UW but going without online is pretty tough for someone who isn't very good at Souls games.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im in raya lucaria right now as a caster and its rough but moonveil is doing decently well.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I think I’m gonna call it at Malenia. That’s my playthrough down! I enjoyed it, very ready to move on tho.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Zore posted:

or there's always Carian Slicer if you genuinely don't want to use anything other than your staff, it costs like nothing and does great damage in melee range.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Funny how I went from Malenia "how is this even possible" not even being able to out dps her healing to beating her so bad I had 5 flasks left.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Does anyone have any idea what the giant droopy face underneath stormveil is?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Funny how I went from Malenia "how is this even possible" not even being able to out dps her healing to beating her so bad I had 5 flasks left.

In this fight I was basically praying, "Don't spam that move don't spam that move."

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
I'm not sure why you would ever want to lightning-infuse a weapon in this game

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

vandalism posted:

I just read a claim that I think makes sense.

The claim is that they didn't playtest the endgame. It makes sense. Everything deals a ridiculous amount of damage once you get to the snow zone. Like you need 80 vig to take one extra hot from the bosses.

Just my latest spicy hot take.

My favourite is the elite haligtree knights that have like 2x the hp of the elite cleanrot knights in the same area, who by themselves are already red eye lothric knight tier in terms of bloated hitpoints

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

MasterBuilder posted:

Does anyone have any idea what the giant droopy face underneath stormveil is?

Your mom lmao

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Big proponent of finding at least some type of ranged, bow/spell/incantation that you like. Less about cheese and more that quite a few bosses have one or two “I’m about to do some crazy poo poo to anyone within 5 feet of me” moves, and being able to get a couple of ranged hits in whilst they have fun doing that is always nice. Every little helps chipping down that hp bar.

Bloodbone arrows are easy to mass and do serious work, or you can farm butterflies to make Rotbone arrows for people you really dislike.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Smith Comma John posted:

I'm not sure why you would ever want to lightning-infuse a weapon in this game

It’s stronger when it rains :eng101:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Perfect Potato posted:

My favourite is the elite haligtree knights that have like 2x the hp of the elite cleanrot knights in the same area, who by themselves are already red eye lothric knight tier in terms of bloated hitpoints

i'm glad i'm not loving crazy in thinking that they were ridiculously overtuned

might be the whole poise level scaling thing people were speculating about earlier but they were also basically impossible to stagger, too. every other enemy in the game takes, like, 2-3 charged R2s to stagger and i could not loving stagger them or the cleanrots for love nor money

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Sample_text posted:

I didn't think it was all that bad except for 2 major bullshit encounters.
-The perfume guys shooting you with their glitter through the wall. (if that's not a glitch and it's intended that is some ROYAL bullshit)
-The hyper aggressive amalgam revenant guy in the courtyard.

I laughed that the boss is the same guy I had to kill on my archer to be able to easily craft arrows.

The perfume guys are the main reason for my post, yeah. They’re bullshit in the way that enemies are in this game occasionally. As always, hoarfrost stomp adjusts their attitudes. I still think the dungeon sucks overall though. Not much reason for it, but I guess the same can be said for a few other non-demigod dungeons.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

DeathChicken posted:

Good news is she's fairly predictable about what she does, moreso than most bosses. She very rarely goes full ham aggro on you (except for the wombo combo and the occasional telegraphed dash stab), she tries to hang back, flutterstep away from your swing and then hit you. I had a lot of luck baiting that first swing and hitting her when she landed. Ended up being pretty fun

And then comes phase 2 which sucks rear end and I can't even pretend to justify it. Cheese that poo poo with whatever you got

Also she's very vulnerable to frostbite.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Artelier posted:

In this fight I was basically praying, "Don't spam that move don't spam that move."

I had to tell myself to relax

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Man Rennala is just the worst for my sorcerer character. I can't do enough damage - is she super resistant to magic or something? I've got all her moves down, but half the time I don't even get to the second round because I get caught by a stray chandelier, or stuck between two firebreathers.

How do I summon help from a goon? The wolf spirits are great but if she fires off two quick blasts in a row during the second phase I'm toast.

I know, I know - get gud and add more vigor but ugh. This is the only unfun part I've come across so far.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Beat the game and the last 4 or 5 bosses was just an escalating "Whhaaa?". I have no idea who I fought or why and I accidentally got a cryptic ending because I tried to read a message only for it to be apparently a summon sign for an ending

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Red Rox posted:

Man Rennala is just the worst for my sorcerer character. I can't do enough damage - is she super resistant to magic or something? I've got all her moves down, but half the time I don't even get to the second round because I get caught by a stray chandelier, or stuck between two firebreathers.

How do I summon help from a goon? The wolf spirits are great but if she fires off two quick blasts in a row during the second phase I'm toast.

I know, I know - get gud and add more vigor but ugh. This is the only unfun part I've come across so far.

The secret to Rennala is very simple:

Stop trying to mage duel the ultra mage

Stop pussyfooting around and hit her with a sword.

She has no poise to speak of and the more time you let her Do Things the more you lose control of the fight. She folds like wet tissue paper if you just stay in her face.

(And yes of course she’s resistant to Magic)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yardbomb posted:

Supposedly there's some kind of dialogue and stuff people found, that led on that maybe she was gonna be a/the candidate to be the lord what's his name would want for Fort Haight. Unknown if it's just completely cut threads hanging in the files or if there's some kind of esoteric series of actions needed to make it happen yet.

Its highly likely to be cut content because NPCs tied to those quests aren't even in the game. From Software might have some esoteric quests, but somebody should have at least encountered them. Also, there is an unused ending cinematic that is just a dummied out file.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Red Rox posted:

She is resistant to magic. However, if you have Rock Sling, that counts as a physical attack (I guess cause they're rocks that are literally being ripped from the ground) which works well against her. You can get that spell from the Streets of Sages Ruins over in Caelid, in the big blood lake place. I recall it being pretty straightforward to get, you didn't need to fight a boss or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

loving ordina evergaol