Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Samadhi posted:

Do you think they can offer something to make you stay?

God no, but it could be additional vindication. This is now the second job I've gotten by contacting an ex-coworker or manager, so if she's willing to spill the beans on who my real supporters are there, I'm all for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Our condo offer was accepted hell yeah

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Blowjob Overtime posted:

End of day curveball: the manager from the Manufacturing Engineering group grabbed me and indicated she and people in her group had at points actively advocated for me seemingly opposing my manager and his boss. Operations consists of Quality, Manufacture Engineering, and Production; so I interact with ME's and Production more than I do with other people in Quality.

I will be scheduling time to discuss it further with her.

Good times. I'm getting dragged back into Manufacturing Engineering stuff because our Ops Engineering org tree all left (literally director down through technicians) due to an interim VP who just got the boot for being incompetent! And I'm one of a few people left in the company who knows how a bunch of production processes actually work! Weee!

Congrats on the job exit vindication.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1503516528058195974

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Hot Diggity! posted:

Congrats. When do you close?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Some harbor pilot gonna get fired after a piss test on this one.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hot Diggity! posted:

congratulations, I have enjoyed my time as a sky home owner.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Samadhi posted:

Congrats. When do you close?

Next month, then renting the place back to the current owners for two months because they aren't moving until July 1st and our lease is up on July 15th. Perfect for all involved.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Is Andrew McCutchen still good?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Pops Mgee posted:

Is Andrew McCutchen still good?

He's fine but nowhere near what he was

Average to above average

T-Square
May 14, 2009

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Smoking it? I just got an electric smoker for my apartment and I'm excited to use it for the first time this weekend.

Yes, I smoked it in the charcoal kettle grill and then finished it in the oven for the last hour or two because I needed to crank up the heat to roast some tomatillos and peppers for salsa

Which I poured into some pan fried melty chihuahua and carnitas tacos with onion and cilantro for dinner tonight :discourse:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We're having a quiche for dinner and lemon tart for dessert. Doubling up on the pie for pi day. Quiche is underrated IMO.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Condo ppl, how would you rate it?

The main concern I have is that all the air seems like it could be polluted with COVID.

I guess condos with external entries could help.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Freaquency posted:

I think a really good cake can be better than a really good pie, but average pie >>> average cake, and it’s real easy to be cursed with below-average cake.

That makes total sense, yeah you're right.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Leperflesh posted:

We're having a quiche for dinner and lemon tart for dessert. Doubling up on the pie for pi day. Quiche is underrated IMO.

I made quiche too! It rules, super easy to do, super quick, cheap as all get out, you can fancy it up if desired but it’s one of my go-to low effort weeknight dinners. You do gotta make the crust though, store bought just isn’t worth the time of day

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

The main concern I have is that all the air seems like it could be polluted with COVID.

I've been at my parent's condo since the start of COVID and one person got it at the start and my parents and I caught it in January, and I don't think we got it from someone in the condo unless they were asymptomatic. Probably got it at my job. This complex has 6 floors and 25ish units per floor.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Condos are very hit or miss.

Pros are you can find something more affordable. You have less maintenance you personally have to take care of, and it’s easier to find a condo close to transit if you need it.

Cons are you have to share a building with a ton of people you don’t know. This includes maintaining it, and you hope no one is a dead beat. If you end up with a dickhead neighbor, you’re likely stuck with them for a long time. They also tend to be noisier, unless it’s a new building with better sound insulation.

It was fine when I lived there, but I couldn’t wait to get a place that is just mine.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Fingers crossed it happens again

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1503569689611489284?t=DzbQTpyLDENSQ0taTnEcsA&s=19

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

so again, Tokyo area, but we looked at both various types of condos as well as detached homes, and I think we got a lot more for the value for a condo (which is in a 45-story tower). The main issue is location -- we're a five minute walk to a fairly major train station which serves the area well, and around our building there's also a lot of grocery and other shopping. More detached homes are either closer to non-major stations (so you have to travel and change lines) or are farther away from those stations, and we didn't want to do that if only for resale value, too.

inside it's a very new building and still very nice, and only if there are some small kids absolutely tearing through the hall will we hear anything in our unit. and it's a nice step up both in quality of the fittings and a bit bigger than our former apartment was.

I still wouldn't mind looking for a detached house eventually, but it also depends on what our space needs are in the future. This place should hold its value for a bit, our neighborhood is pretty desirable and I feel like we bought this unit a bit cheaper than others have listed theirs for, so I think we'll be +5-10% if we sold in five years or so.

Having things walking distance and having a very nice quality huge building is fun, I do still feel the American pull for a garage and a yard but I don't think that's going to happen here unless we move like two hours outside of civilization.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I have rented two different condos from the owner, and it seems like it is kind of the worst of both worlds between an apartment and a house where you have the shared walls and noise and such from neighbors, but also are stuck with it and just cannot move if you find a job 50 miles away. In one of them I literally could not listen to music without headphones, no matter how quiet it would be for me, the upstairs neighbor would immediately start pounding the floor. The massive pro is the cost and I guess not having to personally deal with all of the exterior/yard maintenance. After being in a house for 8 years I fondly look back on living in an apartment not having to be constantly fixing poo poo every minute of the day for tons of money.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
How loving nervous would you be right now knowing that if you beached Ever Given again you'd be assassinated

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

GD_American posted:

How loving nervous would you be right now knowing that if you beached Ever Given again you'd be assassinated

But it would also be the funniest loving thing ever, so you've got that going for you, which is nice

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Meanwhile at the dirty shrimp money house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvQpItzpouw

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 15, 2022

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

harperdc posted:

so again, Tokyo area, but we looked at both various types of condos as well as detached homes, and I think we got a lot more for the value for a condo (which is in a 45-story tower). The main issue is location -- we're a five minute walk to a fairly major train station which serves the area well, and around our building there's also a lot of grocery and other shopping. More detached homes are either closer to non-major stations (so you have to travel and change lines) or are farther away from those stations, and we didn't want to do that if only for resale value, too.

inside it's a very new building and still very nice, and only if there are some small kids absolutely tearing through the hall will we hear anything in our unit. and it's a nice step up both in quality of the fittings and a bit bigger than our former apartment was.

I still wouldn't mind looking for a detached house eventually, but it also depends on what our space needs are in the future. This place should hold its value for a bit, our neighborhood is pretty desirable and I feel like we bought this unit a bit cheaper than others have listed theirs for, so I think we'll be +5-10% if we sold in five years or so.

Having things walking distance and having a very nice quality huge building is fun, I do still feel the American pull for a garage and a yard but I don't think that's going to happen here unless we move like two hours outside of civilization.

This is very similar to our situation, but in Chicago.

Housing is insane and while we want to get a house eventually, we neither had the funds to get one in a location we wanted in decent shape or would be far our from my office / her studio. The place we're buying is pretty new (all were converted between 2004 - 2007) and is really quiet, despite the number of units. The HOA is in insanely good shape financially and we get a lot from our monthly payment. Big windows are south facing, with no building in our path so there's an enormous amount of natural light (very good as we have 60+ plants in our dingy apartment). At this time in our lives we're happy to have everything already in really nice condition in something we're not planning to stay in for more than a handful of years because we can still save for a house in the future, but will be in a better living situation overall.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

:3:

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Congrats on your new polar bear

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Fetish posting ITT

https://twitter.com/peta/status/1503476569414770693

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hot Diggity! posted:

This is very similar to our situation, but in Chicago.

Housing is insane and while we want to get a house eventually, we neither had the funds to get one in a location we wanted in decent shape or would be far our from my office / her studio. The place we're buying is pretty new (all were converted between 2004 - 2007) and is really quiet, despite the number of units. The HOA is in insanely good shape financially and we get a lot from our monthly payment. Big windows are south facing, with no building in our path so there's an enormous amount of natural light (very good as we have 60+ plants in our dingy apartment). At this time in our lives we're happy to have everything already in really nice condition in something we're not planning to stay in for more than a handful of years because we can still save for a house in the future, but will be in a better living situation overall.

Yeah, understand all of that. We're lucky we have east-facing, which the missus wanted. There's not much noise from our neighbors (who have small kids, on both sides) and the walls are pretty substantial. There's not a U.S.-style HOA but a management company that cleans and takes care of common areas, pays for staff, etc. I wish we could get one of the storage rooms in the basement, but those have been full forever. Eventually I'll get a parking spot, which is one of those parking machine things that is very wild and Japanese.

We are basically paying the same as our prior rent was, except it's going towards the loan payments instead of rent. And though we don't always face the sort of surprise rent changes you might have in the U.S., there's also having to pay 2 months' worth of rent for renewal fees every two years or so, which we did once for our last place. And we get some tax breaks for owning a place, and owning a place that's fairly new.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Rectal Placenta posted:

Good times. I'm getting dragged back into Manufacturing Engineering stuff because our Ops Engineering org tree all left (literally director down through technicians) due to an interim VP who just got the boot for being incompetent! And I'm one of a few people left in the company who knows how a bunch of production processes actually work! Weee!

Congrats on the job exit vindication.

Ahh yes, the curse of knowing things will always get you looped into extra work.

This is important content.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

They're right, but also this is wrong.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Hell yeah Director lady is ordering us all Kopp’s for lunch good thing I figured out how to get access to our on-site weight room

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Samadhi posted:

Congrats on your new polar bear

Got six of them at the moment, that's the only polar bear. Two blondes and three black and tans. Trying to line up some good homes.

Also looks like I'm about to lose one of my cats :(

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

dirty shrimp money posted:

Got six of them at the moment, that's the only polar bear. Two blondes and three black and tans. Trying to line up some good homes.

Also looks like I'm about to lose one of my cats :(

Oh no :( Why is that, and how old?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
On a plane and was watching Suits. Stopped watching it when Mike & Rachel left the show but though hey I’ll check it out, I liked it enough before.

It’s just not the same. Also if any of these people would let whoever they’re talking to finish what they’re saying 99% of their problems would be solved.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

NFL contracts are dumb, but then you go and look at MLB contracts and...

https://twitter.com/Local12Skinny/status/1503489836069662722

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Samadhi posted:

Oh no :( Why is that, and how old?

She just turned 10. She's lost a ton of weight suddenly and is very weak and has trouble swallowing. Coughs a lot. I suspect some kind of throat or lung cancer. I have an vet appointment and biopsy set for Thursday tomorrow afternoon to confirm, but today she's started trying to bolt outside. That almost never happens; she's been an inside cat her entire life.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 15, 2022

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Braksgirl posted:

Most people don't eat pounds and pounds of bacon a day though.

way to make me feel like a freak and an outsider :colbert:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Hot Diggity! posted:

NFL contracts are dumb, but then you go and look at MLB contracts and...

https://twitter.com/Local12Skinny/status/1503489836069662722

If you don't find Bobby Bonilla asperational I don't even know you!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Play posted:

way to make me feel like a freak and an outsider :colbert:

You do you, boo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Holy poo poo this would own if it passes the House and gets signed into law

https://twitter.com/SenateCloakroom/status/1503797632745025542