Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Apparently Acosta was second fastest in the Moto2 test in Jerez today lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

You'd think you'd want to get this out before the first race. I guess they want people to think it looks cool and have a race already there for them to watch or something.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

It's a week until the first round of 2022, do we need a new thread? Or maybe just a new title

MotoGP 2022: ride to survive

MotoGP 2022: two arms two eyes

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MotoGP 2022: single vision double marquez

MotoGP 2022: 20/20 eyesight insight highside

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like single vision double marquez

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

MotoGP 2022: single vision double marquez

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Pick your favorite spanish guy.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

I like that rins is back at the front now to wait for him to get back on his bullshit

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

the paradigm shift posted:

I like that rins is back at the front now to wait for him to get back on his bullshit

Remember that Qatar skews towards corner speed bikes, and it skews in favor of the riders that start strong and fade as the season proceeds.

Kanye East
Jul 7, 2006

the paradigm shift posted:

Rins topped out at 355.2* kmh during FP2 - a corner bike with top speed! Ducati must be so upset.

*221 mph for our USA overlords

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm gonna lol if the Pramacs end up being the better Ducati with the 2022 engines

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I love this part of the season because it seems like anything is possible.

Satellite teams haven't yet been overtaken by factory number crunching, they might have a chance this year!!

Ktm/Aprilia might not suck!

Rookies!

And eight months from now we'll just be talking about how Marc managed to win again.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Bastianini very impressive, also big Binder. Both will lose a bunch of positions in the first few laps.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Tuned in just in time for a pretty drat exciting end to the moto3 race. I've missed this

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Don't often see a lowside into someone that results in a save rather than 2 guys down.

E: I didn't watch many lower class Parc ferme interviews last year, has Canet had that lovely neck tattoo for a while? I don't remember him looking like such a clown

BitcoinRockefeller fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 6, 2022

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Canet deserves zero criticism for his neck tat as long as Dennis Foggia continues to draw breath

dema
Aug 13, 2006

So much carnage in MotoGP. Exciting race!

Moto2 was well worth watching too. Some solid action. And I have to say, I think the VR46 livery looks really good on the screen.

dema fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 6, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yamaha are fukt

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Slavvy posted:

Yamaha are fukt

Yeah good for Quaterraro for siezing the opportunity when it presented itself because it looks like they are going to get poo poo on every track that has any kind of straight this year.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Yamaha are fukt

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Joan Mir: we need more straight line power and I am prepared to sacrifice some tractability if that's what it takes

Suzuki: *alters cam profile, gains 20hp*

Yamaha: You can't just add more power without disrupting the delicate chassis balance! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
The BT sports boys were saying Suzuki getting their sharpshifter working the way it should is also a big part of it. They quote one of the Suzuki engineers who says the extra drive out of the final corner and better aerodynamic profile from being shorter was equivalent to 30 extra hp down the straight.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

The BT sports boys were saying Suzuki getting their sharpshifter working the way it should is also a big part of it. They quote one of the Suzuki engineers who says the extra drive out of the final corner and better aerodynamic profile from being shorter was equivalent to 30 extra hp down the straight.

I'm not sure. I think the teams use the shape shifter as an easy smokescreen because everyone is fixated on them. The effect is definitely big and definitely real but IDK. Suzuki have clearly reached a similar level to ducati/aprilia on that front, yet yamaha have had one for ages and their bike still has no traction; you can see that quartararo just rides through the wobbles, it was really obvious watching dovi in FP3 because he instinctively rolls off when the bike starts pumping and weaving, while fabio moxies on through it and that's worth a quarter second just on it's own.

I think the most important elements in the current technical enviroment are having the right front-rear balance, and having an engine which is 'naturally' friendly and doesn't need lots of electronic massaging for every minor change of circumstance. The shape shifter, aero etc all make the performance envelope bigger and the bike's talents broader, but they aren't a substitute for mechanical grip and geometry, which are still doing the vast majority of the work.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

Slavvy posted:

I love this part of the season because it seems like anything is possible.

lol unless you're Yamaha

I remember a bunch of years back when Tech3 Yamahas were on pole (or top 3?) and lead the race for a while. One top ten quali and race finish this year.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'm now an Enea fan

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Pol faster than Marquez? Not gonna lie, I find that pretty surprising. I figured Marquez would actually be better or he'd just not be OK. And then instead he was just fast but not that fast. Super interested to see if bastianini can keep this up.

And RIP yamaha. Again. They used to be so good. When they had end of an era rossi and best racer ever jorge lorenzo. Clearly they need to start cheating.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I kinda wonder how much Vinales being an idiot just soured the well for the Yamaha engineers listening to the riders and led to this current predicament. Fabio was definitely saying they needed more power for a while last year and they apparently did nothing with that lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Pol faster than Marquez? Not gonna lie, I find that pretty surprising. I figured Marquez would actually be better or he'd just not be OK. And then instead he was just fast but not that fast. Super interested to see if bastianini can keep this up.

One thing I noticed was that when pol activates the squatter, he moves his rear end onto the seat in one fluid motion at the same time. When Marc does it, he stays leaned off and only moves back into the seat after the bike has finished squatting and started to accelerate. So I think he's just trying to catch up to a year's worth of major technical changes. Plus he ran wide at turn one several times, I'm not sure if the soft front just wasn't the right tire for him, or whether he's still trying to get used to a bike with a more 'normal' front end.

Bestia will continue exactly as he's doing but unfortunately, because his only job is going as fast as possible on what he's got, he will eventually be overtaken by the factory bikes as they get fully shaken down and start to be able to apply the advantage their teams give them. See also: zarco in his first year on the Yamaha, Martin last year.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

quote:

The 2022 Qatar race was 10.799 seconds faster than when Fabio won in 2021, and Fabio finished 10.543 seconds behind the leader this year.

So it seems like all the other bikes have gotten faster, but Yamaha has barely improved, by just 0.256 seconds. The fastest Ducati was 12.256 seconds faster this year, the fastest Suzuki was 8.044 s faster, the fastest KTM was 15.432 s faster, the fastest Honda was 15.511 s faster, and the fastest Aprilia was 13.939 s faster.

https://www.reddit.com/r/motogp/comments/t8luet/the_2022_qatar_race_was_10799_seconds_faster_than/

Obviously, lots of variables in play when comparing the same race, year over year. Pretty striking though.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Fun start to 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Mandalika is going to give us another surprising result is my bold prediction.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

dema posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/motogp/comments/t8luet/the_2022_qatar_race_was_10799_seconds_faster_than/

Obviously, lots of variables in play when comparing the same race, year over year. Pretty striking though.

The fastest Ducati was last year’s Ducati soooo…

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That implies Ducati have found a way to make much better race pace via setup, strategy or bolt-ons, while perhaps Honda, Aprilia and ktm have improved because of major technical changes. Whereas Yamaha/quartararo either did the exact same thing as last year or have changed the weighting of their compromise to no overall gain.

Or it means nothing because bike racing isn't an exact science and Qatar is never indicative of much

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

n8r posted:

The fastest Ducati was last year’s Ducati soooo…
lol reminds me of the Tech3 Yamahas from the Zarco rookie days

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone watch MotoGP unlimited yet? Checking out first episode now and so far I just learned which riders have which dogs. I don’t expect that this will be that great, especially since I followed the season anyway.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Eh, yeah, I followed 2021 pretty closely and the release timing is weird. I might have given it a shot a few weeks ago. But now, I'm only interested in 2022.

And it sounds like it's getting poor reviews.

I'd rather go back and watch "Hitting the Apex" or "The Doctor, the Tornado & the Kentucky Kid" again. Or "Faster", or "Fastest", I haven't seen those.

"Road" is another great one, if you haven't seen it already.

dema fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 15, 2022

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I saw on Twitter that they dubbed everyone? Which is a bizarre choice.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Looks like they fixed this or my permanent subtitles on over rode this somehow? There's lots of reading subtitles, which I know will turn some people off the series. The second episode got better, Jack seems like a really solid guy.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Chris Knight posted:

From what I've been hearing I think there was some initial backlash from the previews over it being subbed and presumably because its meant for the American market they made the choice to dub it but then just completely nuked the ability to watch it with subs lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Pretty fast crash today by Marky Marc. Supposedly he's OK, but he took a really good tumble in the gravel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAHBin8Qtu8