Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Breetai posted:

Bring back late '90s weird internet.

Look what website you're on, right now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

McCracAttack posted:

It's been explained to me that the current climate in tech funded by venture capital requires that they never stop "innovating". In practice that means they have to keep loving with things even after they have them dialed in.

That's true, but Twitter wants to force you to read your timeline out of order so they can more easily manipulate what tweets you do and do not see

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

CharlestheHammer posted:

What’s funny is the owned Comixology for I think like two years before the merger.
This isn't that weird, often tech industry contracts have stuff like "if we sell the company and then you get fired within 1 or 2 years they have to pay you $x" where "x" is based on how long it's been since the sale. And the sales themselves probably have "you can't just shutter the company immediately after buying it" in the deal

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/LukewarmHoliday/status/1503480045658165252?t=jLtEhnwGa6t1w5MzEFLpaQ&s=19

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

What is Turning Red and how did it convince people that children can't write fanfiction? :confused:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Having seen literally nothing from the movie and absorbing through current discourse, it appears to be a Pixar movie about some tween girls. I guess including segments where the girls have crushes and write fanfictions about a guy or something?

This all appears to have started because some dummy wrote that the movie was "horny" and other stupid things in a review

This has been "discourse through osmosis" thank you for listening

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

What is Turning Red and how did it convince people that children can't write fanfiction? :confused:

its the new disney movie, it is about a 13 year old girl and her group of friends who are all 13 years old. it is a story about growing up, and also the protagonist has an ancient chinese power of turning into a panda when she has emotions. this is a metaphor for puberty, also the protagonist is going through actual puberty

the protagonist and her friends all write cringey 13 year old fanfic about boys because a lot of people do poo poo like this at that age. this depiction is so cutting of folks who wrote horrible horny fanfic when they were tweens that it has become minorly controversial i guess because it is extremely true. the fact that the fanfic is horrible is part of the joke

e: at least that is what the movie is about, i dont know what the controversy is about. i am going to assume it is people being upset about woke disney making a movie about a tween girl having tween girl problems more than people who are legit mad at things like "remember when you were a child trying to figure out romance and you wrote stories about how you and that cute boy in gym were actually ancient vampires who turned into crime fighting vampire-dragons together? haha, we remember that too, we see you"

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Mar 15, 2022

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Garrand posted:

Having seen literally nothing from the movie and absorbing through current discourse, it appears to be a Pixar movie about some tween girls. I guess including segments where the girls have crushes and write fanfictions about a guy or something?

This all appears to have started because some dummy wrote that the movie was "horny" and other stupid things in a review

This has been "discourse through osmosis" thank you for listening

Watched it with my tween girl kids. It was decent and absolutely not “horny” at all

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I don't know anything about Turning Red. I just thought it was funny fanart.

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
I watched this with my kids on Saturday and they all really liked it. Anyone saying it is "horny" either doesn't have kids this age, shouldn't have kids or was never 13 themselves. Just went from child straight to adult like I presume people did in the 50s before teenagers were invented.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:yeshaha:

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1503516528058195974

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Could the panda girl beat up Putin? Could the regular tween girl write worse fan fic than Musk? Am I dead yet?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1503365400939147273?t=TtxFtoK5udccIEFyZKPrZw&s=19

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Oibignose posted:

I watched this with my kids on Saturday and they all really liked it. Anyone saying it is "horny" either doesn't have kids this age, shouldn't have kids or was never 13 themselves. Just went from child straight to adult like I presume people did in the 50s before teenagers were invented.

We just had a (shitpost) discussion in the Military History thread about how everyone went from looking 16 to a rough 40 in black and white pictures so this tracks.

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
One day your running round carefree in short trousers and a school blazer the next your sitting in an armchair, smoking a pipe reading a newspaper. Nothing in between.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Not so much a 'technical' as an 'executive'.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

It's not the same if it's not blocking other boats.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Oibignose posted:

One day your running round carefree in short trousers and a school blazer a coal mine the next your sitting in an armchair, smoking a pipe reading a newspaper. Nothing in between.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Happened to see this in another thread while this discussion was happening, posting here for posterity. Definitely not a "favorite" tweet of mine.

Unrelated, Gianni is a treasure
https://twitter.com/GetGianni/status/1503543888451100673

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
This is the maximum "horny" in the movie. A cartoon wolf style reaction to a boy.

https://twitter.com/doddle_doodles/status/1502464922046894080?s=21

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/_cckirby/status/1400587312787083270?s=20&t=NKcRaD2AIv1_0zYvY3Jkow

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Garrand posted:

Is this the same reviewer who said that he could not relate to Asians?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Is this the same reviewer who said that he could not relate to Asians?

looks like it lol

http://web.archive.org/web/20220307...-wanna-have-fur

as a white man, i simply cannot understand this movie about a chinese-canadian girl experiencing... pu-berti? pyu-ber-tee? how do you say it? whatever it is, i didn't like it. it wasn't for me, a white man

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

goatsestretchgoals posted:

We just had a (shitpost) discussion in the Military History thread about how everyone went from looking 16 to a rough 40 in black and white pictures so this tracks.

That reminds me of this old tweet. There's a lot of examples in the replies.https://twitter.com/BMcCarthy32/status/1210350854571585537?t=QptoBJWmSfLxgUW1LjYFVA&s=19

Also, George Costanza was supposed to be 30 at the start of Seinfeld.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

grittyreboot posted:

Also, George Costanza was supposed to be 30 at the start of Seinfeld.

Jason Alexander was actually 30 at the start of Seinfeld.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Here is Ava Gardner in the movie Earthquake, released when she was 52.

Here is Sandra Bullock in the movie Bird Box, released when she was 53.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/lauralexx/status/1503157791791345665

https://twitter.com/lauralexx/status/1503160023115079682

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Maybe people looked older because they all smoked cigarettes all the god drat time anywhere they felt like it?

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

People used to look older because they dressed the same at 20 as when they were parents 30 years later when their kids started thinking about it. I also imagine that your average person smokes less and cares more for their skin.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

I have two cats and this is exactly right

Last night I was trying to go to sleep and they were chasing each other around the apartment. One launched themselves on my stomach and chirped. Cats are adorable, lovable, and complete assholes when they feel like it

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo

Normal Things Surprise me! I'm so kooky! :imunfunny:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cats would absolutely like you to stop breathing so that they can eat the choice morsels of your face.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Uh, yeah I lock my cats away in the laundry with their food, beds and litter at night. They don't scratch the door, but one cries to get let out if we stay up later than them. They know the routine and will go out there at night to be fed and locked up.
Also when I was a kid we did the same thing with my parent's cats.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Amoeba102 posted:

Uh, yeah I lock my cats away in the laundry with their food, beds and litter at night. They don't scratch the door, but one cries to get let out if we stay up later than them. They know the routine and will go out there at night to be fed and locked up.

This is not true

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My cats allow ZERO closed doors in the house at any moment.

OPEN THA DOOR MEOW MEOW MEOW

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
:discourse:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Amoeba102 posted:

Anyone who says you can't control cats and they just do whatever they want regardless of any attempt to stop them has never actually tried to stop them. If your cat walks over your keyboard while you're using it, or begs for scraps when you're cooking, or scratches at the doors to be allowed to roam freely at night, it's because you've taught them that they can do all those things and get the result they want.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
there is no greater fool than someone who feeds their cat wet food in the morning

our cats can eat dry food freely whenever they wish but wet food is only provided after the humans eat the evening meal and at no other time, ever. never. not ever

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

there is no greater fool than someone who feeds their cat wet food in the morning

our cats can eat dry food freely whenever they wish but wet food is only provided after the humans eat the evening meal and at no other time, ever. never. not ever
Didn't Mulaney do this bit about training his dog

(only found a lego version for some reason)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoLCVJB58b0