Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
On top of my head I can name at least five really good Apple+ original series, more than I can name similar quality HBO shows that aren’t at least a decade old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

HBO still makes good shows, they just dropped the ball on genre poo poo mid/post GoT.

Righteous Gemstones, How to with John Wilson, Succession, Barry are all fantastic, and Winning Time is very promising so far.

I wouldn't say I've enjoyed much on Apple+, but For All Mankind is also great, and Severance is one of the best new shows in a while. I hope it can keep it up.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 14, 2022

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I’m not saying that HBO isn’t still good, but it’s no longer the go to place for all the big shows that everybody is talking about, now those shows are spread out among 5-6 different streaming services.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Just as an out there theory not based on anything; what if the pregnant rich lady is using severance for her birth, only not for for her, but for her child? Some bullshit about not having to remember the trauma of your own birth. It would kinda go along with the other child rearing nonsense stuff like the bed thing from episode 1.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Oasx posted:

I’m not saying that HBO isn’t still good, but it’s no longer the go to place for all the big shows that everybody is talking about, now those shows are spread out among 5-6 different streaming services.

I bet everyone's happy to be paying $80 alone in premium streaming services too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm utterly gobsmacked that this show is on loving Apple TV+. I remember the early days when creatives were complaining about how Tim Cook only wanted bland family friendly fare (I can't find the specific article but I am almost certain I read at some point he didn't even want shows that showed technology in a negative light). And this show goes against ALL of that AND seems to take a couple of shots at Apple to boot. Either Cook is oblivious or maybe he got his head out of his rear end and is letting his underlings take some risks for once.

This was abandoned so fast that it wasn't even present in any of the premier shows -- even in something as silly as See. There's exactly one iDevice in that entire show, and it belongs to the lead villain.

The other shows they presented at launch were The Morning Show (specifically a show about sexual assault), Dickinson (unapologetically queer) and For All Mankind (violent, morally ambivalent concerning the US, emotionally draining and dark), Servant (dead baby show).

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

My first idea about the rich lady was that she wasn't the actual mother, but a professional severed surrogate. The customer could be assured that this very well presented young lady would have no memory of the birth, bond with the child, or other cause for mental or emotional trauma. Probably pays for her college tuition. I'm not sure whether that would require staying in the cabin for the whole pregnancy or just the birth though. Like everything else, its all horrifying.

This was mentioned earlier in the thread but the world feels small, e.g. his family and their weird friends all seem to be from nearby. That's not to say the town can't be big enough to have things going on besides the company, but I could believe the whole Trueman show bubble thing.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 14, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My opinion is that the birth retreat scene with the neighbor and the coffee was "just" an avenue to give some character to Mark S.'s sister (Devon? i think)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Chubby Henparty posted:

This was mentioned earlier in the thread but the world feels small, e.g. his family and their weird friends all seem to be from nearby. That's not to say the town can't be big enough to have things going on besides the company, but I could believe the whole Trueman show bubble thing.

The whole town is really weird, because lots of people seem to be totally unrelated to Lumen and if anything have really negative views towards the company, but it's the Town of Kier and they're reading the Kier Chronicle for news and stuff. I know even company towns might need service workers from outside, but it's just strange in a way I doubt they'll explain.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

More than Devs and Upload and all the other prestige limited event recent shows, Severed makes me think of Dollhouse. At the end of s2 its going nuts with severed soldiers taking orders from the severed whitehouse.

The Board comms reminded me of Counterpart which was also very good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chubby Henparty posted:

More than Devs and Upload and all the other prestige limited event recent shows, Severed makes me think of Dollhouse. At the end of s2 its going nuts with severed soldiers taking orders from the severed whitehouse.

I think the Dollhouse thing is definitely there, and not just because the shows share a cast member.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I bet everyone's happy to be paying $80 alone in premium streaming services too.

Only people without friends do that.

Pay for 1 streaming service, and share password with your friends!

More friends = More streaming services!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Another thing I really enjoy about this show is that Helly's outie directly contradicts Roko's Basilisk.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Chubby Henparty posted:

I loaded Control back up and started playing again because of watching this show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cojawfee posted:

I loaded Control back up and started playing again because of watching this show.

Haha, I have also felt a hankering for playing Control again when watching this :allears:

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Chubby Henparty posted:

this is one hesitation i've got about it running multiple seasons - scope creep. it pretty much never works out in tv. shows lose sight of what works and start becoming less plausible as the implications of the plot get too wide. what they have right now is working perfectly, i hope they don't start zooming out too far.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

roomtone posted:

this is one hesitation i've got about it running multiple seasons - scope creep. it pretty much never works out in tv. shows lose sight of what works and start becoming less plausible as the implications of the plot get too wide. what they have right now is working perfectly, i hope they don't start zooming out too far.

See: Westworld

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

roomtone posted:

The Good Place was one of the better shows to manage this and even that ended up dragging a little.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I didn't realize there was a thread for this! I've gotten so used to watching shows on streaming that come out a season at a time so when I started watching this one I thought it was over after the fourth episode :shepface:

Besides the music which i mentioned in another thread, I like how the corridors are used to disorient you; in the first episode when we see Mark go to work for the first time the way the corridors kind of sway sickeningly behind him as he walks is really unsettling. Same with in the most recent episode where the overhead motion lights keep switching off and on as Mark and Helly walk down them. It feels so hopeless.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

insider posted:

Cobel isn't severed though. None of the characters in the office with actual last names are severed. That's why severed ones just get a letter for a last name as it's another tell that they are severed and not "real" people.

Good point but I'm also not convinced their freedom isn't illusory too. It's too easy to see how it might be useful to have a Severed middle manager who believes themselves to not be subject to any such chicanery.

BooDooBoo posted:

Only people without friends do that.

Pay for 1 streaming service, and share password with your friends!

More friends = More streaming services!

None of my homies ever been interested in my CBS All Access / Paramount sub + or very brief Peacock subscription. I understand why, I also don't want them lol.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Khanstant posted:

Good point but I'm also not convinced their freedom isn't illusory too. It's too easy to see how it might be useful to have a Severed middle manager who believes themselves to not be subject to any such chicanery.

None of my homies ever been interested in my CBS All Access / Paramount sub + or very brief Peacock subscription. I understand why, I also don't want them lol.

You gotta get a Star Trek fan friend.

Does anyone know how sharing an Apple + account works? Can you have multiple people using it at once? I'd assume it is done a lot less since it is your apple id.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I’m starting to buy into the theory that Helly is some sort of VIP on the outside. In episode 2 when Milchick is helping out Helly’s outie in the stairwell, he says:

“When we heard you were coming here, it was like a miracle. What you’re doing is amazing.”

And then when she comes out of the elevator after day 1 Milchick says “Hey old timer, one day down.”

I’m liking the theory that she’s maybe an Eagan.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 15, 2022

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Mahoning posted:

See: Westworld

Season 1 and 3 being counter-points of "What is the difference between a suitably advanced robot and a person?" and "What is the difference between a suitably programed and controlled human and a robot?" is totally fine and within the scope of the questions the series was asking. The issue would be that season 2 happened in-between and also they have trouble sticking the landing.

Like Severance is still very much in the ".....what the actual gently caress?" stage of painting a setting. You could still have an entire season of dealing with that setting and still be in the scope of what they are doing. It all comes down to the quality of the writing and the plotting. If they always intended for it to be more than a single season, then it raises the chances of them plotting it as more than a single season story.

The thing that fucks a lot of shows is when they have a killer idea for one season, and then gently caress....now you have to write the next one. And they are completely empty because they blew it all making a tight one season story. So they just sort of spin their wheels and do random stuff while they try to come up with a season 3.

See....well, Westworld.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Also the “dinner” party scene mentions “the congressional goings on” in regards to Severance.

So maybe Helly is a member of the founding family, undergoing the Severance procedure to prove to Congress that the procedure is safe? In which case, lol that her innie has repeatedly tried to quit and also attempted suicide.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Spacebump posted:

You gotta get a Star Trek fan friend.

The trouble there is finding Trek Fan friends who wanna watch the new ones at all, let alone straight from the tap.

Mahoning posted:

I’m starting to buy into the theory that Helly is some sort of VIP on the outside. In episode 2 when Milchick is helping out Helly’s outie in the stairwell, he says:

“When we heard you were coming here, it was like a miracle. What you’re doing is amazing.”

And then when she comes out of the elevator after day 1 Milchick says “Hey old timer, one day down.”

I’m liking the theory that she’s maybe an Eagan.

Oooh, great catch.

What all do we know about the actual implant itself? Just wondering if there's the possibility of any kind of mind-implantation, if the maybe there's an element of those creepy wax figures seeking immortality by any means.

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001

Khanstant posted:

What all do we know about the actual implant itself? Just wondering if there's the possibility of any kind of mind-implantation, if the maybe there's an element of those creepy wax figures seeking immortality by any means.

Seems very likely imo, Burt told them their group are host to larva which will take them over or whatever the O&D rumors were.. haven't come back much on the creepiness of the perpetuity wing in the last couple episodes but I feel like those creeps memories/personalities have been preserved to be implanted into others.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

One of the things that really pushes the creepiness factor how barren and desolate the severed floor is. There are so many offices that are tarped over and Mark's argument that they are planning to expand ring incredibly false. A lot of the space downstairs seems abandoned vs being spun up. We have yet to even hear the board speak directly about what they're doing.

I suppose we know Lumon is pushing for more severance in the outside world, but everything we've seen looks more like an abandoned experiment gone wrong.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Really good episode. This show isn't afraid to get weird with it.

Agree that there must be another angle to Outie Helly choosing to return to the office. No one would do that if they didn't have a drat good reason. I also got the vibe that the fancy birthing cabin might contain a severed birthing Mom, but hard to say, we really got very little to go on there. The woman giving birth might also have been Kier family, which would give the sister an interesting relationship connection.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's too much to the plot and setting here; there's heaps of narrative rope left in this show.

Lumon's plans to expand and repopulate the Severed floor, for instance, and also the plot I'm calling Ricken's revolution -- both seem like slow burn plots for later seasons.

HOLY gently caress posted:

Besides the music which i mentioned in another thread, I like how the corridors are used to disorient you; in the first episode when we see Mark go to work for the first time the way the corridors kind of sway sickeningly behind him as he walks is really unsettling.

They're also doing The Shining thing where the layout of the complex doesn't make internal or consistent sense. It's very cool.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
So maybe I'm behind but there is a Twitter account and the burger ad for Pips is very unsettling.

https://twitter.com/LumonIndustries/status/1502802173633044482

Woe... Kids eat free!

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Mulva posted:

Like Severance is still very much in the ".....what the actual gently caress?" stage of painting a setting. You could still have an entire season of dealing with that setting and still be in the scope of what they are doing. It all comes down to the quality of the writing and the plotting. If they always intended for it to be more than a single season, then it raises the chances of them plotting it as more than a single season story.

The thing that fucks a lot of shows is when they have a killer idea for one season, and then gently caress....now you have to write the next one. And they are completely empty because they blew it all making a tight one season story. So they just sort of spin their wheels and do random stuff while they try to come up with a season 3.

Yup -- the two big questions are a. Do they actually have a coherent plan for an ending (unlike a lot of mystery box fare where by the time they decide what's in the box it's inevitably a disappointment) and b. Does that plan allow for multiple seasons of content.

Something I hope we eventually see is not just "what's Lumon up to" (clearly there's a lot of questionable stuff going on) but "what do they hope to really accomplish?" that's maybe more than "just be cardboard corporate baddies". Is this some experiment gone wildly out of control? Is there some useful output of whatever the Severed are doing that makes all this mess somehow worth it?

Counterpart did some exploring of how its world came to be in season two that I enjoyed...

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Quinton posted:

Counterpart did some exploring of how its world came to be in season two that I enjoyed...

Yeah, managed to keep things going well, and delved into some of the details without letting too much air out. Counterpart ruled.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't get why they would make that woman be a severed surrogate and then give her such a huge cabin. Why waste the money on that for someone that outies don't consider a real person?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There's some other fun bits in there

quote:

Attention all non-active employees:

Loyalty is a virtue that can lie in any of us.

I'm curious why Myrtle had a long 19 year reign but Leonara only made it a few despite pioneering this whole thing, seems likely because she pioneered it and took the initial fallout.
https://twitter.com/LumonIndustries/status/1501309898893582336

This one I just cannot parse what the cartoon character in this is supposed to me, it's not important but all I see is a hotdog making an ahegao face behind HAL 9000, placed atop a small garbage can.
https://twitter.com/LumonIndustries/status/1503343937985069063

?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I don't get why they would make that woman be a severed surrogate and then give her such a huge cabin. Why waste the money on that for someone that outies don't consider a real person?

(Accepting that this all all total speculation) That's how they'd market it to the customer - its about bringing your child into the world in the most luxurious, healthful, kelp-draped environment possible. While you enjoy a relaxing spa-break nearby so you can be at your best when your baby is presented to you.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Khanstant posted:

There's some other fun bits in there

I'm curious why Myrtle had a long 19 year reign but Leonara only made it a few despite pioneering this whole thing, seems likely because she pioneered it and took the initial fallout.
https://twitter.com/LumonIndustries/status/1501309898893582336

This one I just cannot parse what the cartoon character in this is supposed to me, it's not important but all I see is a hotdog making an ahegao face behind HAL 9000, placed atop a small garbage can.

?

The only thing in the show that is vaguely shaped that way is the severance implant.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Khanstant posted:

It's meant to be a severance implant I think.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Cojawfee posted:

Or if it was the person they mentioned who got pregnant at work maybe they made her think she was a surrogate or something as a cover story/part of paying her off (although now that I think of it that problem could’ve been solved another way)? Or she’s non-severed and it’s another Eagan? The whole scene with her in the cabin was so weird, she was just really… off. I think the likelihood of her being non-severed is greater.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mahoning posted:

The only thing in the show that is vaguely shaped that way is the severance implant.

lmaoooo okay yeah that immediately makes sense and explains the sweat drops as shiny surface highlights as well as the floating objects, which are just inside greeble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
The bathroom innie got me thinking: what if the rich lady's innie's entire existence is pushing out babies? Sever once the pregnancy gets to be too much and let someone else deal with it. Wake up rested and refreshed in a woodland cabin.

It seems weird to have a baby in a rustic cabin, and I don't mean the part where it's hung with kelp. It just doesn't seem like a good place for birthin' no babies. So much wool and soft lighting.