Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

I saw the steam thread and Christ is Souls discourse always this insufferable?

I haven't seen the thread in question but yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
how the christ is there another underground zone after double gargoyles

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
*clutches his soreseal tightly rocking back and forth*

Don't listen to them, they can't dodge properly!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It took 60 hours but I finally got a DS2 style fight club! I got through three guys before the fourth took me out with a last second lightning bolt - he survived my ice rapier poke with 1% hp lol

Grace Mimics are fun for setting up starting points :v:

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Are there any good places to get summoned at level 50 with a +11 weapon? Haven’t been summoned in forever, but I did a lot of exploring before I got on the main track. I just beat the final boss of Raya Lucaria.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Willfrey posted:

If you want a good somber stone weapon early the
Bloodhound fang is the go-to.

I'd say stat-wise just start adding to vigor. Vigor makes a lot of one hit kill BS go away.

You can totally do the Weeping peninsula, that archers long slow shots can be avoided and he's a pushover when close. Focus on finding tunnel/cave dungeons as they yield more upgrade stones, get you sword up to +3, or the Bloodhound fang to +2 (it will hit like a truck *and* bleed)

Thanks. I looked up how to get the Bloodhound Fang, and that led into me doing one of the quests (the one tied to the fight, with the half-wolf dude you get as a summon). I didn't really experiment with it much (it puts into the heavy equip load), but it seems pretty powerful, and the bleed seems helpful. Actually, there's a lot of weapon and craftable items that do bleed damage, and I think Ashes of War too. Is making a viable Bleed/Blood build a thing?

Anyway, after that, I did the quest for Morne Castle. Beating the archer was very easy, as was the castle. I used the castle commander summon for the fight against the boss. I went back to the questgiver and...well, I'm hoping there's a follow up quest later on. :smith:

Is it too early to fight that dragon in the lake up in Limgrave? I figured I had to wait until later in the game, but the map I looked at showed there were some items you get around the lake.

Frankston posted:

As someone who really struggles to remember names and stuff, god drat do I have a hard time remembering names and stuff in Elden Ring. poo poo like:

Morgott
Margit
Mohg
Mohg 2
Melina
Malenia
Maliketh

I always have to check the wiki or something to see just who people are referring to.

I'm having the same issue. I couldn't remember Blaidd's name (which is why I referred to him as 'half-wolf dude') and had to look it up for this post. Same with the boss for Morne Castle, which is Leonine Misbegotten, but my brain keeps distorting it into 'Lorraine Mordecai'. I can't even remember the name of the lady who visits you at the grace sites, or the horse-riding knight with the flail I fought outside the castle perimeter.

As such, that's where I can understand the desire for a questlog, or just having some sort of index of all the characters you've met, because there is a lot to keep track of. That said, I could also just jot down names and notes in a notebook, which is something I like doing (even though I tend to be kind of lazy about it at times).

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Are there any good places to get summoned at level 50 with a +11 weapon? Haven’t been summoned in forever, but I did a lot of exploring before I got on the main track. I just beat the final boss of Raya Lucaria.

Are you dropping summon signs? Do you know there is an item that will get you auto summoned to any of those summoning spots in the area you are at? Just don't do it in Caleid unless you have a desire to fight Radahn. Of all the coop I've done radahn tends to be the least fruitful + most glitchy

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

If there's a boss you hate there's a solid chance they can be cheesed with Scarlet Rot & kiting.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

This i pledge: I will beat this game while still loving it

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Willfrey posted:

Are you dropping summon signs? Do you know there is an item that will get you auto summoned to any of those summoning spots in the area you are at? Just don't do it in Caleid unless you have a desire to fight Radahn. Of all the coop I've done radahn tends to be the least fruitful + most glitchy

Yes. I haven’t tried the small golden effigy since I first got it, because it didn’t work for hours iirc.

Mt Gelmir is brutal.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Horace Kinch posted:

If there's a boss you hate there's a solid chance they can be cheesed with Scarlet Rot & kiting.

Honestly there's a lot of cheese strats in the game and I feel like a lot of people are struggling because when they find one they think "oh I'm probably not supposed to do it that way", but like, there are so many absolutely broken abilities and weapons in the game that it's clearly an intentional balance choice to do it that way.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Prince of Death deepest lore question:

Why is there a droopy face both in the Stormveil basement (presumably where Godfrey was assassinated) and in Deeproot Depths? Are both of them the corpse of Godfrey or is one of them a... projection??

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just found out I could out Bloodhound step on my giant hammer lmao, I'm zooming all around this lady she can't touch me game rules

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Macaluso posted:

She is resistant to magic. However, if you have Rock Sling, that counts as a physical attack (I guess cause they're rocks that are literally being ripped from the ground) which works well against her. You can get that spell from the Streets of Sages Ruins over in Caelid, in the big blood lake place. I recall it being pretty straightforward to get, you didn't need to fight a boss or anything.

Ok thanks this worked first time haha poo poo

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Vermain posted:

high negation also seems to partly cancel out the effect of soreseal, presumably due to how negation is calculated multiplicatively. stuffing yourself into tragoth's set + greatshield talisman will make the drop from soreseal more like around -6-7%, although your elemental resists will still be eating poo poo pretty badly

it's also hard to say exactly how much benefit the defense you gain from 20 levels worth of stats is compared to the negation loss. you'd need extensive testing to be able to make a solid comparison

As far as I can tell the negation gained from stats is included in the negation on your character sheet and you can see the exact difference between your negation with and without the soreseal by pressing y on the equip menu with the soreseal selected, to change the Right panel's view.

e: whoops no I was wrong, stats screen does not include defenses in negation, they're listed separately side by side

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 15, 2022

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Sure would be nice if I could do multiplayer without it crashing every other time when connecting.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

That Dang Dad posted:

Why is there a droopy face both in the Stormveil basement (presumably where Godfrey was assassinated) and in Deeproot Depths? Are both of them the corpse of Godfrey or is one of them a... projection??

I just came across this and was similarly confused.

Similarly with the two Gurranqs, though that may have just been out of gameplay convenience. Still would have been good to give him two lines of dialogue there, though.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

This i pledge: I will beat this game while still loving it

Honestly I probably just need to take a break for a day or so before jumping back in. The latter parts of Souls games are always more challenging (often in intentionally bullshit ways), and there's only so much of that I can take before it starts to really piss me off. Unfortunately, I chose a very specifically bullshit series of things to tackle in a row (unintentionally; I didn't know what they were before diving in) that would have been manageable individually.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

That Dang Dad posted:

I also want an answer to this, as well as am I the only person that thinks the Deeproot Depths thing is the most unsettling thing I've ever seen in a video game

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

how the christ is there another underground zone after double gargoyles

The best part is that it leads to an area that leads to an even deeper underground zone

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
something I love: From always have these weapons and armours from these places and you're like 'wow those seem so cool' - in this game you get to go to all the places.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

hatty posted:

Just found out I could out Bloodhound step on my giant hammer lmao, I'm zooming all around this lady she can't touch me game rules

My favorite use of bloodhound step is invading, sparring with the host's summon while he's standing back, normal rolling a bunch, and then bloodstepping right into the host's face and immediately jumping R2 forward anticipating their panic roll and pounding them into the dirt

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
also gee went back to raya lucaria and the reason i thought it was short is because the critical path is like 30% of the dungeon

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I swapped to the big red hammer and I'm using hoarfrost stomp. It's helped. Mimic Tear is great too, I pushed down a late game boss with it Mohg... the one in the blood palace. and it was funny seeing several player messages saying "praise the mimicry" and such that seemed to be clear I was not the only one.

That said the hammer moveset is leaving a bit to be desired - the standing r2 is just so slow it ends up being a liability if I accidentally use it, and it just lacks the reach and sweep that my colossal sword had.

Got to Haligtree. gently caress that place. Feels a bit better once I got to slightly more solid ground. Jesus the inital branch area was a bunch of dickery that was fun until I got my poo poo slapped by the extra large trumpet fucker - like dying to them once or twice while trying to get over to them was fine, but then the comedy of errors in just trying to get through quickly tried my patience, then getting to the fucker and them having a serious moveset? Piss off. Also very not happy about losing like 70k runes because a plant decided to use it's magic bullshit on my through a floor while I was climbing a ladder.

Also the archers in the township just leading up to haligtree are giving the anor londo archers a ruin for the money in getting me salty.

quote:

The best part is that it leads to an area that leads to an even deeper underground zone
I might need a hint or to see if I'm on the same page:
I missed the gargoyle warp at first - I found my way down there from the capital, but I thought I dead-ended when I got to the deathbed companion lady - she gave me the option to kill her but I think I actually need to swing on her to make that happen so I'm holding off for now - i didn't see any other means of progress down there, but I might have just not been terribly through. Or do you mean that zone, cause thats what I thought the other person meant by zone after the double gargoyles.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 15, 2022

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I love Haligtree so much

Except for the first 20%ish where you're in the canopies. Fuckin hated that.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The canopies are cool

painful, but painful in a cool way
I just wish the colossal bubble pipe weapon you get there was more usable, i'd totally make a build around it

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
I cant wait to finish the game so i can watch a video and find out what ive been doing for 70 hours

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Oxyclean posted:

I missed the gargoyle warp at first - I found my way down there from the capital, but I thought I dead-ended when I got to the deathbed companion lady - she gave me the option to kill her but I think I actually need to swing on her to make that happen so I'm holding off for now - i didn't see any other means of progress down there, but I might have just not been terribly through. Or do you mean that zone, cause thats what I thought the other person meant by zone after the double gargoyles.

There's another coffin near the watery cliff on the northwestern side of Deeproot that leads down to Ainsel River Main. I'm not really sure how the physics of that works, but, yeah.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

That Dang Dad posted:

Who knows if this is accurate, but I’ve been trying to piece together along with the other lore and maybe Rykard and his big snake ate Godfrey at some point, and like a snake, it’d shed it’s skin, face included

I have no idea how lore-friendly this interpretation is, but I didn’t come up with it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

lots of themes of duality in this game.

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Radahn can eat my rear end. What a terrible fight! It's like everything bad about a souls game crammed into one encounter

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Just beat Radahn… that fight was cool as hell! Loved it

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

if they're going to make it so you can't invade a person solo unless they specifically use a special item, they really should have put a cap on how many buddies the host can summon once you invade. Just had an invasion where the host and his little friends hid in a little alove with a bonfire, his boys taking point while he just spammed pebble from the back of the room. I dive in and take out one of the summons but the moment one of them drops, the other retreats and starts slamming out AoE moves while the host runs up and just summons another guy.

This happened twice. I ended getting 3 kills before I ran out of resources and got chipped down. I get making sure the host has some help during an invasion by making it a 1v2 or 1v3, that's fine, but that was a 1v6 and was essentialy a 1vInfinite

If they're willing to be dicks in this fashion it's up to you to be even more of a dick and wait to engage them around npcs. Otherwise it's it's infinite stalemate where they just don't get to even play the game, which I consider a defacto invader victory.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm not done yet, but If this game pulls actually the rot and really hosed up death poo poo is actually good i'll be very cross. Or at least, I get some vibes that like, there's an aspect of hosed up immortality or poo poo persisting too long similar to Dark Souls, and there's people who wanted death, but I'm kind of getting confused between Death and Those Who Live in Death, and some of these people sure seem like real dicks about it. Those Who Live In Death seem to be like, the undead, which wouldn't that run counter to death? At least where I'm at, the two fingers, the greater will, and the erdtree all kind of seem like dicks too. But I guess it wouldn't be very FromSoft if you and something that was unambitiously good/right?

Bleck posted:

There's another coffin near the watery cliff on the northwestern side of Deeproot that leads down to Ainsel River Main. I'm not really sure how the physics of that works, but, yeah.

Ah okay, it's really cool that a lot of these areas have a few ways in.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

What are popular bosses to help people atm? I just got to atlus after finishing ranni's quest and want to take break from raoming around.

Does doing coop in the radhan fight prevent people from summoning wolfman and jar friend? I don't want people to miss out on that stupidity.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Beat the final boss in one try. Sleeping on it reset my brain, if you run left when it's a long way away and do the jumping puzzles it's easy.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

ughhhh posted:

What are popular bosses to help people atm? I just got to atlus after finishing ranni's quest and want to take break from raoming around.

Does doing coop in the radhan fight prevent people from summoning wolfman and jar friend? I don't want people to miss out on that stupidity.

Nope, all those fools are free game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Isn't the big corpse/prince of death Godwyn, who was by all accounts a pretty cool dude who made friends with dragons and stuff, and not Godfrey?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ughhhh posted:

It does prevent people from mounting which makes the arrow rain nearly impossible to avoid and overall hurts caster builds a whole lot in that fight.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Oxyclean posted:

I'm not done yet, but If this game pulls actually the rot and really hosed up death poo poo is actually good i'll be very cross. Or at least, I get some vibes that like, there's an aspect of hosed up immortality or poo poo persisting too long similar to Dark Souls, and there's people who wanted death, but I'm kind of getting confused between Death and Those Who Live in Death, and some of these people sure seem like real dicks about it. Those Who Live In Death seem to be like, the undead, which wouldn't that run counter to death? At least where I'm at, the two fingers, the greater will, and the erdtree all kind of seem like dicks too. But I guess it wouldn't be very FromSoft if you and something that was unambitiously good/right?

Ah okay, it's really cool that a lot of these areas have a few ways in.

I'm almost certain the rot is bad, very bad, monstrous even. Everything about it is implied to be extremely hosed up and painful, if anything it'd be a symptom of the hosed up immortality too long lives, not a good death. Relatedly the Dung-Eater (the closest to a "Rot Questline") is a supremely hosed up little man who defiles corpses and destroys the process of souls returning to the Erd Tree simply because he likes doing awful gross hosed up things. Those who live in Death specifically shut death off by loving with the Rune of Death, as part of a plan for immortality. The natural process of life and death is implied to be a good thing, but rot is not, and those who live in death are questionable perhaps.

Nuebot posted:

Isn't the big corpse/prince of death Godwyn, who was by all accounts a pretty cool dude who made friends with dragons and stuff, and not Godfrey?

Yes it is Godwyn, Godfrey is explicitly not dead just banished. Godwyn is the corpse in Deeproot, and might also be the corpse in Stormveil. Considering he's fusing into the roots of the Erd Tree, it's possible his face is sprouting from Erd Tree Roots all over the world and the Stormveil one is the only one we found.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

any tips to stop getting dry dicked in pvp invasions? im not a very good or practiced pvper, after winning my first invasion I've lost about ten in a row.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Ask not for whom the horn toots
It toots for thee

Really wishing this game had a photo mode. Took me like 30 tries to get a photo and this was the best one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Shortest Path posted:

It does prevent people from mounting which makes the arrow rain nearly impossible to avoid and overall hurts caster builds a whole lot in that fight.

If you never cross the first little sand ridge past the initial summons he will never do the arrow rain attack. Just wait for him to bust out his swords and aggro a summons.

That said, most hosts do not know this.