Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Blue Raider posted:

Nope, all those fools are free game.

Oh yess

The Shortest Path posted:

It does prevent people from mounting which makes the arrow rain nearly impossible to avoid and overall hurts caster builds a whole lot in that fight.

Oh nooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Sockser posted:

Ask not for whom the horn toots
It toots for thee

Really wishing this game had a photo mode. Took me like 30 tries to get a photo and this was the best one

Those mobs crack me up, however they're incredibly lethal even trying to range cheese them with glintblade or w/e. The enemy variety and presence in this game is great, the creepiest mobs imo so far have been the ones in the lower volcano manor area, that shriek at you in pure darkness and eat your face.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

NIGHT REPORT:

o 40 Tries against the Magma Wyrm to get the Moonveil and I've only halved it's health once. I farmed the Mother Dragon beforehand and hosed up my levelling so that my damage is still base level with an Uchikatana. What should I do?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sockser posted:

I love Haligtree so much

Except for the first 20%ish where you're in the canopies. Fuckin hated that.

I thought it was fun because unlike previous "wild twisting root levels" in Souls games, this one you can actually like move and roll around and navigate the vines with relative ease. DS1 had this one area that I don't think even had enemies in it, was just a transition area to some short secret area. Regardless, remember dying an inordinate amount of times just because the clunky movement and janky geometry conspired against you.

My problem with Haligtree is I don't get the suffix "Halig" and I feel owed the title of Haliglord after defeating melamine.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Grouchio posted:

NIGHT REPORT:

o 40 Tries against the Magma Wyrm to get the Moonveil and I've only halved it's health once. I farmed the Mother Dragon beforehand and hosed up my levelling so that my damage is still base level with an Uchikatana. What should I do?

Haorfrost stomp and roll.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I have just learned that there are 3 sizes of doots and I only got the small doot to drop

And there's only one large babushka, so farming the colossal doothammer is gonna suck

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Lord_Magmar posted:

I'm almost certain the rot is bad, very bad, monstrous even. Everything about it is implied to be extremely hosed up and painful, if anything it'd be a symptom of the hosed up immortality too long lives, not a good death. Relatedly the Dung-Eater (the closest to a "Rot Questline") is a supremely hosed up little man who defiles corpses and destroys the process of souls returning to the Erd Tree simply because he likes doing awful gross hosed up things. Those who live in Death specifically shut death off by loving with the Rune of Death, as part of a plan for immortality. The natural process of life and death is implied to be a good thing, but rot is not, and those who live in death are questionable perhaps.

Yes it is Godwyn, Godfrey is explicitly not dead just banished. Godwyn is the corpse in Deeproot, and might also be the corpse in Stormveil. Considering he's fusing into the roots of the Erd Tree, it's possible his face is sprouting from Erd Tree Roots all over the world and the Stormveil one is the only one we found.

The Dung Eater is associated with curses/Omen, not rot. It's never really explained what Omen is afaik. Like if Morgott the Omen King is literally king of Leyndell why are the rest of the big fat Omen guys locked up in the Shunning Grounds? Who do all these Omen Hunters work for? Other than growing horns all over and having constant nightmares about demons, what does being an Omen actually do?

Rot is some hosed up bullshit from the outer gods, which is why the Unalloyed Gold needle which is supposed to "resist the influence of outer gods" helps Millicent to resist the rot, and is why Miquella abandoned Fundamentalist miracles to research unalloyed gold instead -- because he wanted to treat his twin sister Melania's rot.

Godwyn the prince of death really does not want to be the prince of death, and didn't become it intentionally. He's all hosed up and permanently half-dead due to some poo poo Ranni pulled with the Rune of Destined Death ages ago, when she killed her own flesh-and-blood body without killing her soul to free herself from the Fingers' destiny, and in the process somehow killed Godwyn's soul without killing his body. That's why both of them only have half of a cursemark of death instead of a full circle.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Slider posted:

Those mobs crack me up, however they're incredibly lethal even trying to range cheese them with glintblade or w/e. The enemy variety and presence in this game is great, the creepiest mobs imo so far have been the ones in the lower volcano manor area, that shriek at you in pure darkness and eat your face.

Do you mean those round-headed ones that do creepy tippy-taps like an excited puppy before turning into ankle eating banshee horrors?

I laughed when I first met the big versions, the loser stationary versions that are just some creepy old dude doing a weakass DK down+special, but they were a misdirect!

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

any tips to stop getting dry dicked in pvp invasions? im not a very good or practiced pvper, after winning my first invasion I've lost about ten in a row.

Take note of what you keep dying to and try those things. And just practice man, nobody is good at pvp right off the bat. And if you are getting one-shot a bunch maybe get some vigor

What are you using? Sometimes a good pve strat is just total rear end in pvp

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Grouchio posted:

NIGHT REPORT:

Getting your uchigatana to +3 will be a bigger damage increase than 20 more levels in dex or whatever.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Like if Morgott the Omen King is literally king of Leyndell why are the rest of the big fat Omen guys locked up in the Shunning Grounds?
Might as well ask why Baldwin IV was king despite being a leper when such a thing was strongly reviled at the time. It's supposed to be exceptional that he has that station despite his condition.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

ughhhh posted:

Haorfrost stomp and roll.

Thread title

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

According to my very loose understanding the Erdtree/Greater Will, the Scarlet Rot, and the Yellow Flame are three seperate cthulhus loving with the world from Beyond.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sockser posted:

Similarly with the two Gurranqs, though that may have just been out of gameplay convenience. Still would have been good to give him two lines of dialogue there, though.

What do you mean two? If you give it all the deathrootses, you restore it's death rune or whatever and in the fight with him he says something about it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Getting your uchigatana to +3 will be a bigger damage increase than 20 more levels in dex or whatever.
Aren't smithing stones in very limited supply pre-Liurnia, a place I'm not venturing to before Margit?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

NIGHT REPORT:

Magma Wyrm is resistant to slash

Also as far as damage goes spending runes on upgrading your weapon pays off way more that leveling stats

Magma wyrm is also just a butthole. Bosses that camp out on DoT effects are just as annoying as the ones that always run away

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is that a conduct thing? Because you can go to Liurnia without fighting anyone.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Khanstant posted:

What do you mean two? If you give it all the deathrootses, you restore it's death rune or whatever and in the fight with him he says something about it.

But I killed that motherfucker, so how can he still be hanging out in Caelid?

Grouchio posted:

Aren't smithing stones in very limited supply pre-Liurnia, a place I'm not venturing to before Margit?

Go into some mines in Limveil and the peninsula and you'll pick up a decent pile of 1-3s

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Grouchio posted:

NIGHT REPORT:

I just beat him: stick close and to his front-left; jump attack at his head

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Grouchio posted:

No, you should get enough to +3 a normal weapon and +1-2 a couple of somberstone weapons just from exploring the few mines around limgrave and the southern peninsula.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

Is that a conduct thing? Because you can go to Liurnia without fighting anyone.

This. And Id strongly recommend it tbh.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Grouchio posted:

There’s plenty early on. There’s a mine in Limgrave and in Weeping Peninsula. I had multiple +3 weapons by Liurna.

Alternatively, (this may just break the early game for you lol) you can just go around the castle and straight to the mine that gives you the ball bearing that allows the sale of stones

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Malenia doesn't seem too bad so far except for healing on hit and her insane wombo combo. i can kinda dodge em, mostly, I'll get hit by one flurry at least usually, but i think I'm getting close. luckily she's weak to stagger + bleed liked most humanoids so I'm gonna focus on that for now

Right now my main concern is learning how to use bloodhound step more efficiently, as it is I'm running out of FP before she's even down to 1/3

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Like it's just a thing that kind of happens to them and they go "well, I might as well go down the path here since it's the only way forward" and that sort of coincidentally happens to be what they were supposed to be doing.

That's pretty much DarkSouls.txt right there. Ring the bells? Ok, weird guy I just met after a giant bird dropped me off! I just got out of prison and I've been aching for someone to tell me what to do!

Maliketh being like "Dude, why?! What could possibly be your motivation here?" really echoed my thoughts. You somehow just arrive at his place, murder your way towards him, kill him in a fight that seemed like it should have been avoidable, and now you're gonna dick the world because... reasons? My first time through was with the Ranni ending and I assumed I just forgot some dialog or something because she did mention dorking with death. Elden Lord ending, though? You just burned the tree, broke death which double-burns the tree for some reason, all for the sake of breaking into the tree... and your goal is to just put things back where they were only now you have a cool chair?

I kind of assume the endings, farther back in the planning timeline, involved different paths. Then they scrapped that for whatever reason and now everyone rolls down the same path regardless of how nonsensical it is. Those two particular events sound like they'd be avoided, and maybe you'd fight different bosses or whatever.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

This i pledge: I will beat this game while still loving it

I beat it three times complaining about the bulk of the sorcery catalog, Malenia, the final boss, the soul economy, sidequests, and probably a bunch of stuff in-between. I'm on my fourth playthrough doing every possible activity in the game via melee. It can still be a thing you love even with flaws.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

Might as well ask why Baldwin IV was king despite being a leper when such a thing was strongly reviled at the time. It's supposed to be exceptional that he has that station despite his condition.

I always forget my dang kings of Jerusalem but after looking this dude up, it's a pretty cool story. I almost said tragic, because dude does a remarkable job keeping the status quo he seeks while trying to get someone else ready to do his job, but then eventually leprosy gets him real good and the succession is fumbled pretty hard for the next batch of kings I clicked through. They are kings though so it's hard to cry when their kingly plans get hosed.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sockser posted:

But I killed that motherfucker, so how can he still be hanging out in Caelid?

Ohhh I see what you mean, if you don't finish his quest first there's still a copy of his deathroot vendor form. That's actually kind of a weird oversight, I get the gameplay functionality, no reason to punish players for not getting all deathroots by a deadline, but the game already has several instances where dead NPCs retain their functionality. They coulda left a cloak or whatever to signify you can still interact and give deathroots.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Grouchio posted:

NIGHT REPORT:

If you learn his attack patterns he can be pretty safe to fight, believe it or not. It took me a lot of pain and suffering to defeat him at a low level but I eventually figured it out. this is a slow and patient approach so don't summon anyone to help or else you'll just significantly increase his HP. It's real luck of the draw with magma wyrm summons bc most people die to his charging lava spew attack, despite it being almost 100% avoidable.

1. his biggest threat is his charging lava spew attack. sprint far far away from him during these. he chains these attacks anywhere from 2-4 times so be ready to avoid them multiple times. do not get cheeky and try to fight during this, it is basically a boss AOE phase. Never let him back you against the wall; always try to keep open space behind you so you can sprint away from his charging attack. Getting stuck between the boss and the wall is how you die to the lava pools he lays out on the ground.

2. his second biggest threat is his spin attack, because he only does it when someone is behind him where it is harder to see the tell. don't be behind him, but if you must, keep a 100% physical shield up to protect yourself.

3. if you are far away he will lunge his sword at you and then follow up with a pulling slash attack. If you can dodge these, it is a great chance to sprint up to his face and do a jumping strong attack.

4. if you keep staying far away he will eventually do a huge Artorias style jumping lunge attack. This can be blocked with a 100% physical shield, but it's better to avoid triggering this move altogether, so don't stay at max range all the time.

5. hanging out by his armpits is relatively safe, though i recommend keeping your shield ready and paying attention to whenever he looks like he's going to spew lava (so you can avoid 1.)

6. jumping strong attacks! these are incredibly potent because they let you quickly deal damage to him, then duck out from danger. If you have Carian Slicer, you can do a sprinting or jumping Carian Slicer a couple times in the time it takes to do a heavy strong attack.

7. If you use magic (I assume you do bc you're trying to get Moonveil), I recommend Carian Slicer over Glintstone Pebble or even Rock Sling, because it is simply much more efficient and fits into the safe mid-range gameplan of points 1-6. Keep a ranged spell ready in case you need it, but if you're struggling against Magma Wyrm you probably don't have enough magic damage or blue flasks to whittle him down to 0 with spells, so you'll need a melee strategy eventually.

Cephas fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 15, 2022

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What do I do after Raya Lucaria? I beat Rennala and got the Site of Grace in her chamber, but it seems like a dead end here. whereas Stormveil naturally led me to the first Site of Grace in the next area. When I first got to Liurnia I thought I got a dialogue bit about how I'd have to get through the Academy to get to the next location, but that was hours ago and I can't remember where I'm supposed to be going.

Also, what the gently caress happened, exactly? From what I can tell, Rennala is the one I fought in the first stage, and she's kinda nuts and just floats around, and then in the second stage Ranni the Witch comes down and says we won't intrude on her mother's slumber, and so in stage two it's her that we're fighting? So Ranni is really in charge of the Academy and the Carian stuff, and she's just keeping up the image of her mother to the outside world? So then once the fight is over, we didn't actually kill Rennala and she's just kinda hanging out, only half in her right mind, obsessed with the egg.

This doesn't mess up the Ranni quests, does it? I'm guessing I didn't actually kill her just now, but isn't she gonna be kinda pissed at me for beating up her and her mother and then taking her Great Rune?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Ohhh I see what you mean, if you don't finish his quest first there's still a copy of his deathroot vendor form. That's actually kind of a weird oversight, I get the gameplay functionality, no reason to punish players for not getting all deathroots by a deadline, but the game already has several instances where dead NPCs retain their functionality. They coulda left a cloak or whatever to signify you can still interact and give deathroots.

At least this one I can write off as a bug (probably)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz39OGsE3-A

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm 70 hours into this game and I've forgotten: You have to defeat two shardbearers to advance the game, but what does that open up? You ring both bells to open up Sen's Fortress, but what does killing two shardbearers accomplish?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I don't know what it is or why but there seem to be two of a lot of things in the world of Elden Ring

snow witch and milena
malenia and millicent
the dead faces under stormveil and in deeproot
roundtable and fortified manor 2nd floor

Etc etc etc. It's definitely a Thing i just don't know what it could possibly mean. From also doesn't tend to just leave an npc around when they're supposed to be dead, so Beast Cleric in caelid is definitely still really there for whatever reason imo.

E: i think this might be important to the lore. If we can figure out why there's two of things, and what there are supposed to be two of, we might even be able to identify if there's something/someone that should have a copy but doesn't :crabdrugs:

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 15, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Oh yeah, if anyone's like me and hasn't noticed, you can actually talk to Melina from the grace menu if you're in a church, and she'll have things to say. I only found this out at the mountain church so i only got to do it twice before she burned up lol

The option is second from the bottom too, how was anyone supposed to notice that

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Considering how weak madness is in PvP compared to something like bleed or frostbite I really wish there was some kind of hyper armor on the frenzied flame incantations. As it is if someone gets in close they can knock me out of the Howl of Shabriri and even Inescapable Frenzy with a single R1 and make me feel real stupid for even trying. About the only time it works is when they panic when they see me screaming and just start rolling. I guess I could just go upgrade my Vyke's like everyone else but then you don't even need the spells to proc it and it doesn't feel like a proper madness build.

Very much wish they give at least Inescapable Frenzy some hyper armor because god drat if it isn't the coolest aesthetic for an invader to have. I so badly want to make it work.

Related but does anyone know if poise affects your spellcasting?

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Is there a Discord I'm missing. I could really use some help with Starforge fuckhog right now.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lester Shy posted:

I'm 70 hours into this game and I've forgotten: You have to defeat two shardbearers to advance the game, but what does that open up? You ring both bells to open up Sen's Fortress, but what does killing two shardbearers accomplish?

I dunno about the two shards, but killing morgott gives you a key to access the snow area that has an thing that advances you to the endgame. I believe there is a way around this but locks you in one specific ending (I may be wrong on this)

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

96 spacejam posted:

Is there a Discord I'm missing. I could really use some help with Starforge fuckhog right now.

He has beat my rear end like a drum lol

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

any tips to stop getting dry dicked in pvp invasions? im not a very good or practiced pvper, after winning my first invasion I've lost about ten in a row.

Elden Ring will always put the invader at a numerical disadvantage so when I invade I focus on staying ahead of the host/cooperators and I try to harass them as much as I can while they are fighting their way through the level. It counts as a victory even if they die to a random mob or fall off a cliff, so you can fight a battle of attrition and try to wear down all of their flasks. Sometimes a cooperator will charge ahead to try and take you out and then you can duel them, hopefully killing them or getting then killed by mobs in the process.

It's a ton of fun playing this way and you can get really creative with consumables and tactics. As an invader you can use lures to move enemies around and make them come from unexpected locations. Shooting people off bridges/cliffs with a greatbow or hand ballista or jar cannon rules.

Basically pretend you're Patches.

e: The talisman that makes you look like a host of fingers works as an invading phantom and it makes it much easier to hide, because you're not a glowing red ghost. Just beware that anyone getting close to you will not be fooled because they will be able to lock on to you

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 15, 2022

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Willfrey posted:

I dunno about the two shards, but killing morgott gives you a key to access the snow area that has an thing that advances you to the endgame. I believe there is a way around this but locks you in one specific ending (I may be wrong on this)

There’s a requirement or something that says you have to have two great runes to access the capitol. Godrick is one, and the player has a choice of 3 for the second.

That’s what I’m told anyway.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

There’s a requirement or something that says you have to have two great runes to access the capitol. Godrick is one, and the player has a choice of 3 for the second.

That’s what I’m told anyway.

It doesn't have to be Godrick, you can get to Rennala, Godrick, Rykard and Radhan right off the bat. You can bypass the castle entirely via some cliffs on its east side.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Wow, I'm like 150 hours in and still finding even bigger bullshit platforming sections than before. Fair and educational deaths, they are, when the strategy is "run and jump and turn 90 degrees in midair and motion your character into the wall to slow forward momentum now do that a dozen times in a row"

Sekiro did verticality so drat well, what went wrong here?