Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

moosferatu posted:

You gave me a small heart attack after clicking that link when I feared that I'd been tricked into cancelling my order.

But, thank you, that was very helpful. I was just before 15 minutes after on the 256 model and am in Q2. So, based on what others are saying, maybe April?
LOL, great, if that site is accurate, I'm 25 minutes in for the 512gb model.
Still Q2 listed, but I'm dreading it'll be late June...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I got Yakuza LAD since it's on sale. I saw a Deck review that referenced that it ran on the Deck, so I figured why not. Gonna try to run it off my SD card soooo we'll see how that goes. Definitely gonna be the biggest game I try to do this with.

Taking forever to download to it lol

Also it kinda sucks that the Deck doesn't seem to download while suspended.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

I got Yakuza LAD since it's on sale. I saw a Deck review that referenced that it ran on the Deck, so I figured why not. Gonna try to run it off my SD card soooo we'll see how that goes. Definitely gonna be the biggest game I try to do this with.

Taking forever to download to it lol

I'm sure it will run fine. It's also a really great RPG. Definitely give it a solid shot. It's a bit of a slow burn but it gradually opens up and unlocks more and more systems.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

JazzFlight posted:

LOL, great, if that site is accurate, I'm 25 minutes in for the 512gb model.
Still Q2 listed, but I'm dreading it'll be late June...

I just looked up my time, I was 41 minutes into my 512 preorder, a good deal later than I thought...

I'm still Q2 somehow but I have a feeling that it isn't going to stay that way much longer, that's so late.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bloodplay it again posted:

The two (sometimes different) e-mail times don't necessarily line up with your actual order time. The most accurate way to find out when, exactly, the order was actually processed is to sign into Steam in a browser and view this link. Take the unix timestamp from rtreservetime and chuck it into this converter (unless you want to count the seconds since Jan 1 1970 yourself) and it will tell you, down to the second, when your order went through.

My order was processed 7 min 9 sec after the hour, as an example, and I'm Q1 for US 512GB. The order time in the email says 4 min after, despite actually taking another 3 minutes.

Looks like they are part-way through 6 min xx sec 512GB US orders as of today. About ~15 min after orders went live for 256GB models and ~17 min after orders went live for 64GB models. This is all US data and does not apply to any other regions.

Ok thanks I’ll do that when I get home! Thanks for the tip!

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I ran the calculator today and the three models returned: 3/21, 3/18(?), and 3/14. Nothing today so next Monday is looking good. How long do they take to arrive? I just need it by Thursday 3/31 for a long flight.

Are there any really good accessories I should look into?

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

KingKapalone posted:

Are there any really good accessories I should look into?

The only things I could think of as accessory priorities would be: an enormous microSD card, compatible headphones, maybe a super-long USB-C cable since the one they include is 6", maybe a USB-C power bank, and maybe a dock/hub (which the official version is coming late spring).

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Yakuza LAD runs pretty well. I turned the graphics default up to High and used the Deck's FPS limiter to 30, and it feels pretty good.

Also apparently it is verified? It has a green checkmark in my library but it was grayed out when I bought it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sigher posted:

I just looked up my time, I was 41 minutes into my 512 preorder, a good deal later than I thought...

I'm still Q2 somehow but I have a feeling that it isn't going to stay that way much longer, that's so late.
their estimate is probably based on their expectations that production is going to significantly ramp up next month. while their claim of "hundreds of thousands" is dubious to me now, i wouldn't be surprised if they were shipping closer to 10k+ units a week by the end of april

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Soul Glo posted:

Yakuza LAD runs pretty well. I turned the graphics default up to High and used the Deck's FPS limiter to 30, and it feels pretty good.

Also apparently it is verified? It has a green checkmark in my library but it was grayed out when I bought it.

Awesome, looking forward to it. I guess even if it didn't run perfectly, it's turnbased so you're not gonna lose a fight or whatever due to dropped frames.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

The 7th Guest posted:

their estimate is probably based on their expectations that production is going to significantly ramp up next month. while their claim of "hundreds of thousands" is dubious to me now, i wouldn't be surprised if they were shipping closer to 10k+ units a week by the end of april

Production might get there, but their shipping seems much slower comparably.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Looks like my deck will be delivered today.

So that was paid on the 7th, deliver started on the 9th and according to Steam Support takes 4-8 working days.

At least I'll have it for the Saint Patrick's Break.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I thought I was 5 minutes after orders went live in my hazy memory but I just went back and looked at my email and I was like, 5-6 hours after. I'm Q2. Yikes. Guess I've got awhile to wait.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

My order confirmation was issued at 12:29 PM PDT, two and a half hours after it went live, and apparently I've been kicked back to "After Q3" now for the 512GB model. I was in the Q3 window just a week ago, but I guess something changed. Man, that's brutal.

I'm probably gonna cancel for real. The hype will be dead by then.

edit: False alarm. I wasn't logged into the steam site. I'm still Q3

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 15, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't even know what's going on, because I'm in Q3 and I reserved on the 17th. :confuoot:

gottagotowork
Jul 7, 2020

I think a lot of confusion has been sown recently about preorders “getting pushed back” in the last month (especially on Reddit) — it seems like in nearly all cases I’ve read about it winds up being someone:

Who was in Q2 on initial preorder, wound up in “beyond Q2” when everyone/the entire device was delayed in December, and are now Q3/beyond Q3 post-date clarification (which isn’t a delay per se, just a more accurate timeframe) OR

Weren’t logged in when looking at their reservation OR

In some other configuration misunderstood “beyond Q2” to mean anything other than “a date at some point after 6/30” which has now been whittled down to more accurate buckets.

AFAIK no one who was December or Q1 on initial preorder now has a listing beyond Q2. Unless someone has experience otherwise?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Guess I am glad I am in my small EU country, because I am still Q2 and I only ordered like the next day.
Also holy poo poo this was 8 months ago.

Archonet
Mar 12, 2022

it is time to boogie

gottagotowork posted:

I think a lot of confusion has been sown recently about preorders “getting pushed back” in the last month (especially on Reddit) — it seems like in nearly all cases I’ve read about it winds up being someone:

Who was in Q2 on initial preorder, wound up in “beyond Q2” when everyone/the entire device was delayed in December, and are now Q3/beyond Q3 post-date clarification (which isn’t a delay per se, just a more accurate timeframe) OR

Weren’t logged in when looking at their reservation OR

In some other configuration misunderstood “beyond Q2” to mean anything other than “a date at some point after 6/30” which has now been whittled down to more accurate buckets.

AFAIK no one who was December or Q1 on initial preorder now has a listing beyond Q2. Unless someone has experience otherwise?

Already said this earlier in the thread like one or two pages ago, but I was initially Q1, then Q2 after the first delay, now Q3. Am in North America for context.

If I had screenshots that would've proven it, I'd post them, but you'll just have to take my word for it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Looks like they are part-way through 6 min xx sec 512GB US orders as of today. About ~15 min after orders went live for 256GB models and ~17 min after orders went live for 64GB models. This is all US data and does not apply to any other regions.

Lol looks like I should have kept my launch day 256 pre-order instead of changing my mind in December for the 512. I'll get it approximately 2030 if I'm lucky.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

repiv posted:

After Apex silently enabled Linux EAC support in the last patch and the game got Deck verified, the new patch silently un-enabled it :thunk:

This got fixed a few hours later.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

One kind of downside about the Deck is I bet a lot of older games don’t get verified.

Like last night I installed Batman Arkham Origins because it’s the only one of those I haven’t played through. It’s unverified, but it’s from 2013, so I wasn’t totally surprised it ran at a locked 60fps except when in-game loads would happen as doors opened.

Then, in the first boss fight during a transition from gameplay to a cutscene fight with QTEs, the game dropped all sound and only loaded in the base texture layer (a gray background) and the top layer that had the HIT LT TO THROW BATARANG prompt to finish off Killer Croc. I got through the fight hitting the prompt, and the next cutscene played without sound. Then when you get control of Batman back in the Batcave, it went back to just the base blank texture and I couldn’t do anything.

Like, no great loss, it’s a mediocre game from almost ten years ago, but that game has no chance to get worked on and verified. Would Warner Bros. care, when every year they flirt with selling off the IP? Does the Warner Montreal team even exist anymore to do the work to get the game running on Deck properly, as that was the one game not developed by Rocksteady? Even if an older game still has an active IP and is owned by a studio with the teams intact, where’s the money in doing the work?

Unless Valve is doing work on other people’s games to get them to work, like Xbox does/did a lot of the heavy lifting to get 360 games on the backwards compatibility list for Xbox One and Series, there’s gonna be a ton of games like this, unfortunately.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Soul Glo posted:

One kind of downside about the Deck is I bet a lot of older games don’t get verified.

Like last night I installed Batman Arkham Origins because it’s the only one of those I haven’t played through. It’s unverified, but it’s from 2013, so I wasn’t totally surprised it ran at a locked 60fps except when in-game loads would happen as doors opened.

Then, in the first boss fight during a transition from gameplay to a cutscene fight with QTEs, the game dropped all sound and only loaded in the base texture layer (a gray background) and the top layer that had the HIT LT TO THROW BATARANG prompt to finish off Killer Croc. I got through the fight hitting the prompt, and the next cutscene played without sound. Then when you get control of Batman back in the Batcave, it went back to just the base blank texture and I couldn’t do anything.

Like, no great loss, it’s a mediocre game from almost ten years ago, but that game has no chance to get worked on and verified. Would Warner Bros. care, when every year they flirt with selling off the IP? Does the Warner Montreal team even exist anymore to do the work to get the game running on Deck properly, as that was the one game not developed by Rocksteady? Even if an older game still has an active IP and is owned by a studio with the teams intact, where’s the money in doing the work?

Unless Valve is doing work on other people’s games to get them to work, like Xbox does/did a lot of the heavy lifting to get 360 games on the backwards compatibility list for Xbox One and Series, there’s gonna be a ton of games like this, unfortunately.
I could be wrong, but couldn't continued development on Proton in general smooth out these compatibility issues? Even at launch, I think people were recommending selecting the latest experimental branches of Proton to get certain games to run properly.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Actually, with Proton it's more likely that Valve will get it working than whoever made the game. That's the whole point of Proton, it liberates valve from being dependent on other developers playing ball. You could try submitting a bug report to the Proton DB and it will probably get looked at eventually.

People using Linux have had to deal with this kind of issue for decades, so most support and getting stuff working is from the Linux community side more than the developer side. If the developer makes a Linux-compatible version, that's great, but there's all sort of stuff like Lutris that exists entirely because the community is trying to get things working on their own.

Speaking of which, you should try Lutris https://lutris.net/. It has better success for some games in certain cases.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah that stuff is all fixable on the Proton side, it's just a matter of what gets prioritised

I assume newer or more popular games will get more focus, but fixes made for one game might accidentally fix another anyway

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

I assume newer more popular games will get more focus, but fixes for one game may accidentally fix other ones as well

Especially engine-related fixes. Something that fixes a bug in UE3 will probably unfuck loads of other games.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Just got the call to say the Deck has arrived, ow to dream about it till I finish work.

gottagotowork
Jul 7, 2020

Archonet posted:

Already said this earlier in the thread like one or two pages ago, but I was initially Q1, then Q2 after the first delay, now Q3. Am in North America for context.

If I had screenshots that would've proven it, I'd post them, but you'll just have to take my word for it.

Hm, interesting. Can ask which device you reserved and what you reserve time was?

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
WOO. Got my tracking email about my replacement deck. Will probably get it on Wednesday.

I'm excited all over again and also a bit worried too.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I'm in some Fedex black hole where I can never get anything delivered from them in under 10 days. They have changed my delivery date three times now and it is literally in my city with no indication it will ever make it to my house. I wish people would stop using Fedex, I always have this issue.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The two (sometimes different) e-mail times don't necessarily line up with your actual order time. The most accurate way to find out when, exactly, the order was actually processed is to sign into Steam in a browser and view this link. Take the unix timestamp from rtreservetime and chuck it into this converter (unless you want to count the seconds since Jan 1 1970 yourself) and it will tell you, down to the second, when your order went through.

My order was processed 7 min 9 sec after the hour, as an example, and I'm Q1 for US 512GB. The order time in the email says 4 min after, despite actually taking another 3 minutes.

2 hours and 41 minutes after launch. My order still says Q2, but if we're only at 15 minutes for the 256GB it's going to be months.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

I tried the link and my reservation timestamp was 0, which seems implausible. I did get in early, but the actual reservation probably happened 5 or so minutes after they were available. I was able to order the 256 version yesterday.

gottagotowork
Jul 7, 2020

polish sausage posted:

WOO. Got my tracking email about my replacement deck. Will probably get it on Wednesday.

I'm excited all over again and also a bit worried too.

this is a good sign

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Chas McGill posted:

I tried the link and my reservation timestamp was 0, which seems implausible. I did get in early, but the actual reservation probably happened 5 or so minutes after they were available. I was able to order the 256 version yesterday.

Rtreservetime is reset to 0 once you have completed the purchase. You'd have needed to jot it down somewhere before paying for the Deck.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Rtreservetime is reset to 0 once you have completed the purchase. You'd have needed to jot it down somewhere before paying for the Deck.

Ah that makes sense.

Archonet
Mar 12, 2022

it is time to boogie

gottagotowork posted:

Hm, interesting. Can ask which device you reserved and what you reserve time was?

512GB

GMT: Friday, July 16, 2021 7:51:35 PM

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
So I got my deck but when I boot it up, and go through the setup, after it asks me for my wifi, it just restarts. I'm stuck in an infinite loop...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kwolok posted:

So I got my deck but when I boot it up, and go through the setup, after it asks me for my wifi, it just restarts. I'm stuck in an infinite loop...

I don't have a Steam deck so take this with a grain of salt, but multiple people on reddit reported this and resolved it by using the recovery tool:

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/1B71-EDF2-EB6D-2BB3

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

DMCrimson posted:

The only things I could think of as accessory priorities would be: an enormous microSD card, compatible headphones, maybe a super-long USB-C cable since the one they include is 6", maybe a USB-C power bank, and maybe a dock/hub (which the official version is coming late spring).

What type of micro SD card is recommended? I did order the 512 so maybe I don't need one? But I guess I might have a big game like Elden Ring on here while the biggest Switch games are like 14gb.

Archonet
Mar 12, 2022

it is time to boogie

KingKapalone posted:

What type of micro SD card is recommended? I did order the 512 so maybe I don't need one? But I guess I might have a big game like Elden Ring on here while the biggest Switch games are like 14gb.

If you really need the additional space you can, but with regards to the Deck, I'd wager capacity is less important than read/write speed. A fuckhuge SD card would be absolutely useless if it can't read and write to it quickly -- unless you enjoy admiring load screens and waiting for it to catch up with your internet when downloading updates. So whatever kind you buy, buy with data throughput in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonet
Mar 12, 2022

it is time to boogie
~snip~

Archonet fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 15, 2022