Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
looks neat! i'm interested in the performance upgrades they're talking about. LE makes my new comp sound like an airplane about to lift off, but without the same sort of "daaaaannngggg" graphical payoff as running Lost Horizons: Zero Dawn on obscene settings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I never quite understood the point of the Epoch's Call/Memorium Gates systems besides the names (which were admittedly cool), so the one regret I have about that blog is that I wish they'd stuck to their guns on the Bazaar - from what they'd released about it, it wasn't a very good trading system in terms of actually enabling trade (because it makes item discovery a nightmare) but it was a very good trading system in terms of being an adjunct to killing things for loot rather than shortcutting/replacing it (because the actual purchase process would have been very unobtrusive - all the friction would have been on the discovery end, and nobody having access to the entire playerbase's discards at once means that you don't have to choose between tolerable drop rates and blowing up the economy).

I think they'll struggle to find a replacement that fits their stated goals but tbf they haven't had many misses so far so let's see what they come up with.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

honestly I feel like wide scale trading is never going to happen in this game

Which is a good thing because finding special items is fun but not as exciting as other ARPGs ive played, trading will kill whatever is left for me personally

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I also don't think the game needs a large / easy trade system. The loot dropping IDd and the filter system makes it not really need it compared to many other ARPGs imo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I think they'll struggle to find a replacement that fits their stated goals but tbf they haven't had many misses so far so let's see what they come up with.

I'm honestly not excited about it at all, the game does not need item trading. The problem with every trade system is either they balance the game around it, in which case soloing sucks, or they don't, in which case you don't need it.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I want to be able to trade with friends once MP is a thing for those "oh this item would be perfect for their build" moments

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You can always just party up and drop the goods on the ground in that scenario.

But yes I don't see a reason to not add trading support.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I just don't want PoE discord trading poo poo. If I have to trade to optimize a build, I don't want to have to go through unofficial channels.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Last I knew pathofexile.com/trade was the defacto trading 'channel'. But yes it is not a great system to have to go to a website, find the thing, message the player and hope they respond.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I played during the resurgence of harvest for ritual league or whatever came out with harvest. The discords were it for gear and harvest crafts and it sucked balls. Had to be vouched into a channel where you could still be scammed easily.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I mean, PoE trading is like it is because the game is specifically set up to have an economy and assumes trading. If you design a game not around it, but allow it, sure you’ll have economies spring up, but it won’t be anywhere near the level of a game designed specifically with the idea that an economy will pop up.

And there’s always ‘if you don’t like -system- don’t engage in it.’

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, realistically, the extent that I care about a trading system is "oh hey this would be cool for my friend who wasn't with me when it dropped, I'll stash it for them for later", and I hope that's the balance ethos they approach the game with too.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I can't imagine them ditching their "we want the best loot to be found" philosophy, but who knows down the line.

I like making atlas progress in PoE in the sense of just doing as many distinct maps to fill up that atlas bonus, but when it gets to the point of needing to buy maps from other players to fill out the ones I just cannot find... I'm not sure which level of Hell that is, but it's definitely a really bad one.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the loot as it is doesn't need trading, you can easily find anything you need for a build to function

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Yeah, plenty of items drop to make trading not the primary focus of the game. But how many times will you be willing to farm the stability to take another shot at Lagon for a chance at a unique drop that might or might not have legendary potential? Like even the people who made this game recognize trading has a place in it. The rarity and value of high tier exalteds and legendary potential uniques makes that a reality.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Vinestalk posted:

Yeah, plenty of items drop to make trading not the primary focus of the game. But how many times will you be willing to farm the stability to take another shot at Lagon for a chance at a unique drop that might or might not have legendary potential? Like even the people who made this game recognize trading has a place in it. The rarity and value of high tier exalteds and legendary potential uniques makes that a reality.

I suppose it could have some space in the game at the high end...as i'm considering starting to farm abomination for Woven Flesh LP drops...

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Trying to make Lighting Werebear work and, just like Poison Necro, the support just isn't there. You end up fighting at cross purposes with your gearing and it's a bummer.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Yeah, LE has very specific synergies and it feels useless to deviate from it. Like there is a ton of build variety, but optimizing damage with a certain skill is already picked for you when you look at the skill trees.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm sorta hoping they'll add more Uniques which might flesh out some of those sorts of "build gaps"

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
They also revisit skills sometimes and give them a bit more variety too. There's some stark differences between newer and older skills.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Vinestalk posted:

Yeah, LE has very specific synergies and it feels useless to deviate from it. Like there is a ton of build variety, but optimizing damage with a certain skill is already picked for you when you look at the skill trees.

Yeah I think that's why there's like 3 viable versions of Pyro Necro. One uses Wraiths like literal turrets, one leans really heavy on Bone Golem, one is Volatile Zombies puking flames everywhere, but in all 3 cases they work because Fire support is very strong in the Necro passives and Skill trees. I really hope they'll take another look at Werebear - changing Maelstrom to do Lighting Damage and Shock would be good and thematic and help out a TON, as would giving Leap Attack a little more Lightning "umph" (it just doesn't work even 1/3rd as well as the Earthquake poo poo).

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I went with Sentinel Paladin in this game hoping I'd be immortal and man it did not disappoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bastbOEzHnY

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'll be interested to see how well that works for the time line rift boss thingamajig

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sab669 posted:

I'll be interested to see how well that works for the time line rift boss thingamajig

I only now beat the final boss. I played this like I play my dumb PoE builds, but I wasn't expecting just how powerful the Sentinel Shield is. I was going to be a VK then I realized I could just stick to block with Paladin and I saw the Sigil of Hope tree and it sort of hard carried the entire thing.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now that I beat the game I'm gonna try to play it in solo hc masochist at least once with the different classes. Bets to how far I can go with any of them?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I think you'll go pretty far. I still remember your wild builds from the PoE thread, so Last Epoch probably seems like a cakewalk with how less obtuse it is. The hardest part will be tolerating the tedium of the early campaign if you plan on doing it with every class.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vinestalk posted:

I think you'll go pretty far. I still remember your wild builds from the PoE thread, so Last Epoch probably seems like a cakewalk with how less obtuse it is. The hardest part will be tolerating the tedium of the early campaign if you plan on doing it with every class.

Just rotate through them to learn. Actually getting my rear end kicked lol. I got halfway through Ch3 with Primalist so far.

Drakonis
Dec 18, 2011

"That will go down among my worst boners."
https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/depths-of-eterra-update-0-8-5-coming-march-18th/47988

New patch soon, looks fantastic.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

they're adding delve lol

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Why would they choose PoE's worst system to add? And also the post game node thing already was sorta delve-y?

Whatever though new content is new content

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
It seems like the every system they implement is designed for retention. People pushing numbers in monoliths to brag about their corruption level. People pushing level of waves on the infinite clear to be on a leaderboard. Now this is just another one. For all it's issues, people still push delves in PoE cause it's a leaderboard and people fuckin love those. It might also be a case where they make the encounters more engaging and the RvR better, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Papercut posted:

Why would they choose PoE's worst system to add?

Best* system to add.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Can't wait for them to add heist

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
anyone has a vidya guide or text guide for speedrunning?
I realised i forgot every loving thing about story

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/eleventh-hour-games-new-partnership/48083

quote:

Luckily, after nearly 18 months I began talks with the team from Tencent Games who were already fans of Last Epoch and had followed us for quite some time. They had witnessed our ability to produce and release content for nearly 4 years in Early Access, grow a team, and grow an enthusiastic player base. Their team played the game thoroughly, and came into the conversation with the level of enthusiasm, and trust in us, that we were looking for. Due to their passion for Last Epoch, but most importantly because of their willingness to let us design, create, operate, and grow how we see fit, we have accepted a low-equity investment from Tencent Games.

This investment does many wonderful things for EHG and Last Epoch, including:

Guaranteeing the stability of our development pipeline through the full 1.0 release of Last Epoch
Allowing funds for required hardware, like more testing machines, and server infrastructure to support Multiplayer
Allowing us to hire and contract industry experts and consultants for the most challenging aspects of development and live operations
Allowing us to expand our team (we’re hiring, join us!) 98
Allowing us marketing capital for the 1.0 release of the game - this means more players to share Eterra with!
Ensuring our stability and growth as a studio for years to come

I'm just hoping more devs being hired on means we get multiplayer faster.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Vinestalk posted:

Not gonna lie this is kind of what's stopping me doing more classes even though I'm enjoying my Necromancer so much. Have they discussed the possibility of an Adventurer mode or scaling down the Eternity thing to start at level one after an unlock, or are they committed to the old-style "just gotta power through" thing?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

The dungeon system expanded in the coming patch is supposed to allow campaign skips. Some dungeons will be available early and will let you skip through chunks of the campaign. Different dungeons are also supposed to be better suited for different builds, so ideally different characters will have a different optimal path to the end of the campaign.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Well that sucks, gently caress Tencent.

I guess nothing to do for it though since I've already given them my money. :negative:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

It’s fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The second largest gaming company in the world gobbling up even more influence actually isn't fine.

Kyrosiris posted:

Well that sucks, gently caress Tencent.

I guess nothing to do for it though since I've already given them my money. :negative:

But yea at least I already bought it I guess.