Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Thanks Ants posted:

I wonder how many people he puts off from doing business with him based on the personality he displays on his channel

I think he's doing pretty well regardless, but yeah, I can imagine people looking him up and then nopeing out.

He is also "small business owner" personified. He's probably put people off of starting a business, lol

Of course, plenty of people loving love him, and he's a lot more successful than I ever will be. Still a prick tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rinkles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtG9I3mZlJo

TTP is gonna be an industry analyst, not going to LTT. (The LTT tease was an intentional joke). He'll continue his youtube channel, but it sounds there'll be some sponsored content, though I mostly trust he won't be a shill.

I wouldn't be surprised if Linus was pushing really hard to hire him for his lab project and Cutress was just leaving him on read for the lols.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtG9I3mZlJo

TTP is gonna be an industry analyst, not going to LTT. (The LTT tease was an intentional joke). He'll continue his youtube channel, but it sounds there'll be some sponsored content, though I mostly trust he won't be a shill.
Well thank gently caress he's not going to LTT.

I'm okay with sponsored content, so long as it's clearly labeled - which I trust Ian to do; partially because he's legally obliged, of course, but also because he's managed to retain his integrity over a very long period of time.

EDIT: Also, I just noticed. The logo for his company is a rainbow - I wonder if there's anything to that beyond the iridescent surface of wafers.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 14, 2022

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I had no idea that there was a rumour or whatever that Cutress was possibly going to LTT

Lol, I'm just trying to imagine what kind of odd-couple high jinx videos could have came from the most unlikely partnership in technology

Watched the whole video now. I totally see him as an analyst, the analyst-influencer thing puts my teeth on edge, but maybe that's just me being old.
His written stuff is great, but I'm not convinced that he's well suited to video

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 14, 2022

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I think the rumor was entirely down to him announcing he was leaving Anandtech within like a day of Linus announcing he was creating LTT Labs to do more scientific/analytical reporting compared to their usual fare. I think on the WAN Show right after that he said he'd love to have Ian at LTT Labs but he didn't think he could afford him and/or provide enough material that would be interesting to him.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Would be extremely funny if he got a job at GN

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

Would be extremely funny if he got a job at GN
Well, he's starting his own company, but I could see him contracting work with GN.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Adolf Glitter posted:

Watched the whole video now. I totally see him as an analyst, the analyst-influencer thing puts my teeth on edge, but maybe that's just me being old.
His written stuff is great, but I'm not convinced that he's well suited to video

Well I really enjoy his videos. He's very good at explaining complicated topics step by step in simple terms, at least from my perspective as a layperson. And his interviews are quite good too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Adolf Glitter posted:

the analyst-influencer thing puts my teeth on edge, but maybe that's just me being old

This is sort of funny to me, given that analysts were the original tech-industry influencers, right down to the boondoggle research trips and fancy dinners from vendors.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Adolf Glitter posted:

What's better - someone who's used to being in front of the camera, doing all sorts of antics for clicks up to and including looking utterly incompetent, or someone who's maybe not used to it, but genuinely knows what they're talking about?
:thunkher:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

What's better - someone who's used to being in front of the camera, doing all sorts of antics for clicks up to and including looking utterly incompetent, or someone who's maybe not used to it, but genuinely knows what they're talking about?

It's Linus, the answer is Linus dropping a $10,000 CPU.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Don't get me wrong, I'll take him (and many others) over the likes of Linus any day. I only recently started watching LTT again after a long break from it as I find it exhausting.
I just prefer Cutress own writing to his own video. Nothing against the less polished style either, I generally prefer it
Tbh, I just generally prefer written stuff to video, unless it really requires video.
:corsair: I know

Actually, after watching the tech clown throwing a wrench between two buildings, while on the roof installing a dish, I'm unsubscribed for good.
loving idiots, they're lucky it only hit a car

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 15, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Adolf Glitter posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'll take him (and many others) over the likes of Linus any day. I only recently started watching LTT again after a long break from it as I find it exhausting.
I just prefer Cutress own writing to his own video. Nothing against the less polished style either, I generally prefer it
Tbh, I just generally prefer written stuff to video, unless it really requires video.
:corsair: I know

Actually, after watching the tech clown throwing a wrench between two buildings, while on the roof installing a dish, I'm unsubscribed for good.
loving idiots, they're lucky it only hit a car
Oh, I like long-form articles too - but the vast majority of people who do them aren't self-employed analysts.

If it's possible to be an analyst influencer, which I'm not totally sold on, I think video is required. You may offer the option of long-form articles on the side, but I don't see it working without video.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why would Ubiquiti sponsor a pair of airFiber radios to shoot a signal about 50m while the roof of each building is sat in the fresnel zone, or do they just work on the basis of "Linus is talking about our brand, this is good"?

They've put up more or less the same radio as the 60 HD except it has a huge dish that isn't needed and costs 3x as much, and then only run copper cables up to it, while banging on about 6Gbps link speeds.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 15, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Thanks Ants posted:

Why would Ubiquiti sponsor a pair of airFiber radios to shoot a signal about 50m, or do they just work on the basis of "Linus is talking about our brand, this is good"?

i would imagine it's part of the broader sponsorship package because he's used their networking stuff in a few projects now, including his house. they're paying for the exposure and for the influencer to jizz over biiiiig number on camera. then when the IT department at whatever medium or small company is trying to name networking companies they think of ubiquity.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Why would Ubiquiti sponsor a pair of airFiber radios to shoot a signal about 50m while the roof of each building is sat in the fresnel zone, or do they just work on the basis of "Linus is talking about our brand, this is good"?

Pera loves to drop crates of Ubiquiti kit to influencers, it's not a new thing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

True, I just get irritated at complete idiots wasting things when supplies are so tricky to get hold of at the moment.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
that solution to their problem seemed kind of totally terrible but i don't understand their full network setup. what if it's windy enough to misalign one or both disks? are you going to tolerate whole buildings of your operation being off the network and as such offline when that single point of failure has issues? makes way more sense for a boat or cabin or something, junctioning your entire internet through your business workflow with no redundancy seems very very foolish. idk, i'm not a network guy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CoolCab posted:

that solution to their problem seemed kind of totally terrible but i don't understand their full network setup. what if it's windy enough to misalign one or both disks? are you going to tolerate whole buildings of your operation being off the network and as such offline when that single point of failure has issues? makes way more sense for a boat or cabin or something, junctioning your entire internet through your business workflow with no redundancy seems very very foolish. idk, i'm not a network guy.

vancouver is the same climate as seattle: rainy as hell but otherwise very temperate. wind speed is not something they historically need to worry about much if at all https://vancouver.weatherstats.ca/charts/wind_speed-yearly.html (first google result, no idea how reputable it is but it says it's taken from weather canada which is the official federal data)

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

CoolCab posted:

It would make more sense to have a backup connection in that second office building but that doesn't make for a video / they love cutting costs in the oddest spots.
(or they could just be lying)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i hope they're lying. when it comes to the total running cost of a whole rented Vancouver building full of staff and equipment i bet you'd eat that x hundred bucks a month in several hours of downtime, no problem.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
The whole throwing the wrench was hosed up, as Jake said. It almost looked like it was a new employee that was trying to prove they could do something, and it backfired. Linus had that quick line "cost me 1000 bucks", so sounds like there was damage and he's covering it.

As to the dish setup. Those things are going to catch wind and shift around. While it is 4 cinder blocks, and if they are 12", that is about 200 lbs on that platform, but that dish is a sail. I wonder if they do this setup for the views, then have an actual installer/contractor come out and make it a more permanent install, as in attaching it to the roof itself instead of just sitting on it.

I don't really doubt that wind speed link, but it would only take one time for a big gust to come along and poof one or both of those satellites.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Arivia posted:

vancouver is the same climate as seattle: rainy as hell but otherwise very temperate. wind speed is not something they historically need to worry about much if at all https://vancouver.weatherstats.ca/charts/wind_speed-yearly.html (first google result, no idea how reputable it is but it says it's taken from weather canada which is the official federal data)

Well, it's not like wind storms are unknown in Vancouver https://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/stanley-park-restoration.aspx

mewse
May 2, 2006

LTT has an insane internet uplink, I think they've talked about it before where they've got a direct fiber link to the Vancouver interchange so that they can support floatplate etc.

So it makes sense for them to split off that uplink to their suboffices, but that install was painful to watch. Cinder blocks instead of bolting the dish down, Linus hauling a 30lb dish over the edge of a roof by himself, crimping their own weather resistant ethernet cables, throwing the wrench, losing their walkie-talkies, using duct tape to "seal" the surge protectors in that vent.. jesus christ

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

They've put up more or less the same radio as the 60 HD except it has a huge dish that isn't needed and costs 3x as much, and then only run copper cables up to it, while banging on about 6Gbps link speeds.
I'm curious about the use of the Fresnel zone here, because typically it's desirable to have as little as possible be in it depending on what part of the spectrum you're in - let alone trees, buildings, or the ground in the forms of hills or mountains.

CoolCab posted:

I have an acquaintance who I took CCIE classes with, who spent years maintaining and building radio chain links for all the summer houses along the Danish coast, because a lot of them can't get fiber or even anything beyond DSL over poorly maintained copper that needs lots of signal attenuation, so while I refuse to ask him to watch something I won't, I can pretty confidently say that it absolutely can work - if you're not incompetent.

mewse posted:

LTT has an insane internet uplink, I think they've talked about it before where they've got a direct fiber link to the Vancouver interchange so that they can support floatplate etc.

So it makes sense for them to split off that uplink to their suboffices, but that install was painful to watch. Cinder blocks instead of bolting the dish down, Linus hauling a 30lb dish over the edge of a roof by himself, crimping their own weather resistant ethernet cables, throwing the wrench, losing their walkie-talkies, using duct tape to "seal" the surge protectors in that vent.. jesus christ
Getting 10/10Gbps and peering at an IX isn't nearly as much of an issue as I think you're making it out to be - the biggest cost by far is getting the cable run sorted if archive.org can manage it for a 100Gbps ring around most of downtown San Francisco(*), I'm sure LTT can manage it whereever in Canadia they're based.

*: Jonah Edwards at The Internet Archive did a presentation on their infrastructure a while ago, and it contains a bit of the story:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neBeDgICOeA

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 15, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

I have an acquaintance who I took CCIE classes with, who spent years maintaining and building radio chain links for all the summer houses along the Danish coast, because a lot of them can't get fiber or even anything beyond DSL over poorly maintained copper that needs lots of signal attenuation, so while I refuse to ask him to watch something I won't, I can pretty confidently say that it absolutely can work - if you're not incompetent.

right that makes way more sense your friend had a reason to do that; linus elected to go with two dishes on the roof of the buildings in lieu of paying for internet access to be turned on in one of them? like a regular commercial office building and he went "well i already pay for internet in building one and so..."

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CoolCab posted:

right that makes way more sense your friend had a reason to do that; linus elected to go with two dishes on the roof of the buildings in lieu of paying for internet access to be turned on in one of them? like a regular commercial office building and he went "well i already pay for internet in building one and so..."
:negative:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's not even a stupid idea - I did similar about a decade ago when we had an industrial unit with a really expensive 20Mbps fibre service and the only option for another unit across the yard was 8Mbps DSL. Put a pair of NanoStations up and it ran perfectly for about five years. If I was working on an LTT budget I'd have a connection in each building though as well as the radio link and send LAN traffic over the radios, dropping to VPN as a backup, and set it up so either internet connection can back the other up.

They just used equipment that was overkill for the job and deployed it really poorly.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

They just used equipment that was overkill for the job and deployed it really poorly.

This is literally the title of LTT.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The sane answer would be to just pay to some some fibre laid between the buildings, but I guess someone digging a trench in the carpark wouldn't make good Youtube.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's a good idea and it's fun. Ubiquiti is trying to be Apple like so of course they're gonna send the most expensive overkill poo poo to show on screen. People already brag about having UDM Pros serving a house that has DSL lol

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jake getting actually pissed off about the wrench was energising

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Also part of the idea is showing off Ubiquiti's new product, AirFiber XG, still an early access product, has both 60ghz and 5ghz so should be less susceptible to weather effects

Also for non-penetrating roof mounts they are held in place with cinder blocks

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Some people in this thread act like they have never seen an LTT video before...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Charles posted:

It's a good idea and it's fun. Ubiquiti is trying to be Apple like so of course they're gonna send the most expensive overkill poo poo to show on screen. People already brag about having UDM Pros serving a house that has DSL lol

I want a UDM Pro for my house with 1GB, am I a bad person?
Can’t push 1GB through the USG with packet inspection running.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

A few weeks ago there was a moment where Linus referred to "the king of janky" and it hard cut to Alex spilling liquid cooling juice everywhere. They know their content is a lot more fun when poo poo goes a bit sideways. It's not nearly as dry as other channels. That's why you get stuff like Dennis hard-subtitling himself, or Linus & Alex building watercooled wish.com PCs, or anything on channelsuperfun.

It's meant to be fun. Don't get upset about it. They know it's stupid and not optimal. It's not meant to be perfect, it's meant to be fun, entertaining and a bit janky. There's a reason that their secondary branding colours are hyper pink and green. You just go along with poo poo being a bit wonky.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Charles posted:

You don't get a UDM because you need speed, you get a UDM because you don't want the shitshow that is EdgeOS and their USG lineup.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

well why not posted:

A few weeks ago there was a moment where Linus referred to "the king of janky" and it hard cut to Alex spilling liquid cooling juice everywhere. They know their content is a lot more fun when poo poo goes a bit sideways. It's not nearly as dry as other channels. That's why you get stuff like Dennis hard-subtitling himself, or Linus & Alex building watercooled wish.com PCs, or anything on channelsuperfun.

It's meant to be fun. Don't get upset about it. They know it's stupid and not optimal. It's not meant to be perfect, it's meant to be fun, entertaining and a bit janky. There's a reason that their secondary branding colours are hyper pink and green. You just go along with poo poo being a bit wonky.

yeah and i get that, and again i hope it's a goof and he's going to do the sensible thing and build redundancy into the network. i have for sure dealt with setups at least that dumb though, lol, and as such i am very critical of management making very silly decisions. my brain goes to what would happen if it failed rather than the concept inherently - but i did say i'm not a network guy.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

You don't get a UDM because you need speed, you get a UDM because you don't want the shitshow that is EdgeOS and their USG lineup.

You get a UDM if you want your internet to drop once or twice a day and like hard resetting routers.

I don't think anyone has a problem with LTT being janky and doing dumb poo poo for entertainment, but when it gets dangerous and damages property like throwing a wrench between buildings, that's a problem.

CBD Corndog fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CBD Corndog posted:

You get a UDM if you want your internet to drop once or twice a day and like hard resetting routers.

I don't think anyone has a problem with LTT being janky and doing dumb poo poo for entertainment, but when it gets dangerous and damages property like throwing a wrench between buildings and it damaging property, that's a problem.

someone in the comments pointed out that there's probably a good whistleblower/informant fee to be made by forwarding that video to BC work safety enforcement