Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

I would be fairly confident betting that the constant Naval activity outside of Odessa is just a demonstration to force the Ukrainians to maintain a force there to defend it. With the option to actually commit to an assault if they move away.

Not to mention: Its doubtful that they can supply any forces landed at Odessa for an extended period, so unless they are just dropping infantry, good luck to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Whether it's a Lada Neva or an Oka, Wikipedia says both have a zero out of four star safety rating from Russian reviewers. In one test, the dummy in the passenger seat of the Lada Neva was hit by the glove compartment so hard it would have caused a traumatic brain injury.

Humans beings should not be in these cars.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Another hospital as collateral damage - took it over rather than bombing it this time so that's...progress? Of a kind?
https://twitter.com/anastasia_maga/status/1503710484272500737?t=YWGoAi8QFy6pmyrcrqQG8w&s=19

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CommieGIR posted:

Not to mention: Its doubtful that they can supply any forces landed at Odessa for an extended period, so unless they are just dropping infantry, good luck to them.

In theory if Odessa were captured they could supply it by sea.

One conceivable "backup plan" for Russia in this war would be to attempt to "just" conquer Ukraine's black sea coastline, cutting off their trade opportunities. If Russia's pivoting to that then a capture of Odessa would be indicated, but I really don't see how they manage it. An opposed amphibious landing into an urban environment is just about the most difficult offensive military operation I can imagine.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Russians decided they liked the orc nickname and should adopt their culture as their own
https://twitter.com/Hromadske/status/1503694724657553413?t=0Hp6ony9TY5WMdd6FtWOAw&s=19

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

An opposed amphibious landing into an urban environment is just about the most difficult offensive military operation I can imagine.

It could be an opposed amphibious landing into an urban environment backed by a mountain range! Otherwise known as the Taiwan problem.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

It could be an opposed amphibious landing into an urban environment backed by a mountain range! Otherwise known as the Taiwan problem.

China to Russia: "You should invade Odessa via the sea, just for kicks. No reason."

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

Russians decided they liked the orc nickname and should adopt their culture as their own
https://twitter.com/Hromadske/status/1503694724657553413?t=0Hp6ony9TY5WMdd6FtWOAw&s=19

As long as angry trees wreck the poo poo of the potato wizard in Minsk...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

In theory if Odessa were captured they could supply it by sea.

One conceivable "backup plan" for Russia in this war would be to attempt to "just" conquer Ukraine's black sea coastline, cutting off their trade opportunities. If Russia's pivoting to that then a capture of Odessa would be indicated, but I really don't see how they manage it. An opposed amphibious landing into an urban environment is just about the most difficult offensive military operation I can imagine.

"We have invested billions in what the best landing force in history. I can tell that Admiral Vatnik has spent many hours perfecting the force, as he has a deep tan from all the hours out on the deck."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Kursk Kursk KURSK

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Alchenar posted:

I would be fairly confident betting that the constant Naval activity outside of Odessa is just a demonstration to force the Ukrainians to maintain a force there to defend it. With the option to actually commit to an assault if they move away.

CommieGIR posted:

Both good points, but still impossible to rule it out, just due to all the other stupidity on the Russian side.
If they are landing ships that's about 50 tanks and 1700 troops if they're these ones https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ropucha-class_landing_ship which seems slightly less stupid then airdropping special forces thing they were doing before... maybe less stupid. ...possibly not. Still seems like 0% chance of it actually working unless they're not actually tying to take the city and have some other goal.

KitConstantine posted:

This seems like one of the most clueless middle management ideas I've ever heard.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 15, 2022

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Thread is :nws: due to images of destruction. https://twitter.com/WarintheFuture/status/1503499716209754115?s=20&t=OGH7qwSNl52By_PCQ1PXKQ

Mick Ryan's excellent daily analysis is up. It's pretty scathing of Russian generalship. He is not predicting a short war, though does predict that Russian offensive operations are days away from halting.

Tomn posted:

Eh, that’s kind of a military history myth from what I understand. For WW2 at least, especially in the later stages of the war most battles between Germany and Russia were fought at near parity in raw numbers - Soviet Deep Battle doctrine was at least as sophisticated if not more so than anything the Germans had. The whole “endless waves of conscript fodder” thing came about in part from German generals writing post-war memoirs trying to explain A: Why they were great generals really and B: How they lost despite this. It played into NATO stereotypes about Russia, and so here we are.
This is correct and bears repeating. Soviet operational art was simply better than that of the Germans, particularly by 1943. I think this perception is further exaggerated because many Western historians tend to talk in terms of operational formations: corps, divisions, brigades, etc. Soviet--and modern Russian--operational formations are traditionally smaller than Western European formations of the same name. So people read "Soviet Tank Corps" and assume it's three times bigger than the Panzer Division it faced, when in reality they were of more similar size.

Even today, a Russian tank company has 10 tanks: 3 platoons of 3 tanks each, and the company commander in a tank. US tank companies have 14 tanks: 3 platoons of 4 tanks each, and the commander and XO each have a tank.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Comstar posted:

Apoligies if this has already been discussed, but I didn't see it. I miss 200-800 comments a day in the thread :(

I guess we'll find out if the is Quanon for the FSB or based on actual posts in a week or so.

https://www.facebook.com/yaroslavvb/posts/pfbid0wbtt8ePFHfSesJ3kbXp9ccctEMVNhmKaJmDbwLwpeb9fpuUrtuqwEnJ9FjWWJbAJl

Watch the Skies.
This is the dumbest thing I've ever read.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

i am excited to see the 20 post twitter threads from logging infrastructure experts about how they definitely don't have the capacity to do this

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Alchenar posted:

You say that, but this is the same military that dumped a bunch of highly trained airborne troops behind enemy lines and let them get annihilated in the opening weekend. Multiple times.

Also, as has been said in this thread, there isn't much cohesion between the branches in the Russian military and the Russian Navy is probably chomping at the bit to get involved.

That said, the Ukrainians know they're coming. It could turn into a slaughter.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CommieGIR posted:

When has that stopped them before. Like I think this is a desperate gamble for them.

KitConstantine posted:

Another hospital as collateral damage - took it over rather than bombing it this time so that's...progress? Of a kind?
https://twitter.com/anastasia_maga/status/1503710484272500737?t=YWGoAi8QFy6pmyrcrqQG8w&s=19

They are doing that horror show in Chechnya but reversed

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

In "unsurprising in terms of content but surprising in terms of blatantcy" news, the judge in the Alexei Navalny trial was literally on the Kremlin's speed dial
https://twitter.com/pevchikh/status/1503734364525535241?t=_IkYy6hjOx0g-_-7IvasRg&s=19

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KitConstantine posted:

Putin found the "pillage" button and started mashing it on every turn.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Comstar posted:

Sorry, the point of posting it here and not the Clancychat thread is that this is allegedly from the FSB analyst who complained that invading Ukraine had has much chance of happening as an Asteroid strike on Russia. Which I think was true.

So... this guy predicted that there wouldn't be war, which makes him worth listening? I beg your pardon?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

KitConstantine posted:

They're going full Cromwell. Never go full Cromwell.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

Third one is Oka, absolutely the worst automobile ever made in Russia and a deathtrap. Thought they went extinct about a decade ago but life finds a way.

Is that not a Niva?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

eke out posted:

i am excited to see the 20 post twitter threads from logging infrastructure experts about how they definitely don't have the capacity to do this

Wood is very small and light and easy to transport, no?

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Zelensky seems to acknowledge that NATO's open door policy is a mirage. To the Russians would codifying a decision not to apply for membership in, say, the Ukrainian constitution be enough of a guarantee for the "neutral status" they're so eager to impose on them?

https://twitter.com/CGTNOfficial/status/1503740292083884042?s=20&t=VBGRojZtrwOzI7f3uwLqUw

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

eke out posted:

Wasting precious manpower and logistical capacity on chopping down trees and transporting the wood (which isn't a hugely valuable trade good by volume I assume) out of the country, when you are already struggling with both, seems like a great idea.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

they eventually got their poo poo together but it took a ludicrous amount of deaths first. Soviet military casualties in ww2 were something like 9 million. Someone in the thread boiled it down earlier:

"Stalin says attack!"
"Ah, but we need another day to get the food, the fuel, the ammo.."
*Fires pistol, turns to second in command*
"Stalin says attack!"
"At once!"

resulting, inevitably, in another clusterfuck. Idk if you can draw a straight line between that sort of thing and "Actually our training exercise is to invade Ukraine," but it definitely looks like Autocrat Problems once again.

Eh, that was more during the early days of the war when Moscow (and frankly, most other people in the Red Army) didn't know what exactly was happening and everyone was reacting in a panic. I wouldn't say it was standard Russian doctrine, and I wouldn't say that Russian war plans were built explicitly off the idea that "Yeah we can afford to waste lives."

If anything I might say that Russian war plans relied less on "loving hell there are a lot of Russians" and more on "loving hell there is a lot of Russia." Strategic depth gives you time to unfuck yourself from an early shock and work out options if things are going badly. But that brings us back around into issues of NATO expansion and Russian buffer states so OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE ABORT ABORT

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

CommieGIR posted:

China to Russia: "You should invade Odessa via the sea, just for kicks. No reason."

* One day later *

China: "Oof! Ok, let's not do that."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tigey posted:

Wasting precious manpower and logistical capacity on chopping down trees and transporting the wood (which isn't a hugely valuable trade good by volume I assume) out of the country, when you are already struggling with both, seems like a great idea.

sell the wood to whom exactly

also logging: famously an easy task that requires little logistical support

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ikasuhito posted:

* One day later *

China: "Oof! Ok, let's not do that."

More like

China to USA: "I am helping!"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

You say that, but this is the same military that dumped a bunch of highly trained airborne troops behind enemy lines and let them get annihilated in the opening weekend. Multiple times.

Also, as has been said in this thread, there isn't much cohesion between the branches in the Russian military and the Russian Navy is probably chomping at the bit to get involved.

That said, the Ukrainians know they're coming. It could turn into a slaughter.

Navy is by far the least competent branch of their military, by the way.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

PerilPastry posted:

Zelensky seems to acknowledge that NATO's open door policy is a mirage. To the Russians would codifying a decision not to apply for membership in, say, the Ukrainian constitution be enough of a guarantee for the "neutral status" they're so eager to impose on them?

https://twitter.com/CGTNOfficial/status/1503740292083884042?s=20&t=VBGRojZtrwOzI7f3uwLqUw

To me it seems more like lost in translation recognition that they can't just walk into NATO tomorrow, that there's a long and potentially difficult process ahead of them to make it happen, not that it's an impossible tease

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tigey posted:

Also those logging trucks are 100% going to get stuck in the mud. Some lucky farmers with tractors are going to get just a whole bunch of fire wood I guess.

Good for them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Navy is by far the least competent branch of their military, by the way.

I thought the Russian Submarine corps was actually fairly competent?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1503744554444505093

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PerilPastry posted:

Makes sense. Putin won’t give up though because he will want them isolated from EU too and that won’t happen.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

PerilPastry posted:

I doubt it. Russia also wants Ukraine to give up on the EU.

Not to mention it's not like from what I understand Ukraine can't just add that to their constitution without a referendum so it's not like Zelensky can just do that unilaterally.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

KitConstantine posted:

This is just petty, Christ. Either that or it's the stupidest plan to cut down on tank ambushes ever.

Not to say that this is in any way a feasible plan, but do we have any environmentalists in here who can speak to the environmental degradation that might result from the kind of large-scale deforestation they're talking about here?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

PerilPastry posted:

I don't think joining NATO was ever in the cards (especially right now) so yes if that can be made to be perceived as a concession that would be a win for Ukraine. But I think Russia wants more - no EU, no military, no counterintelligence service - so then over time it could more easily infect the political system with Kremlin stooges.

Ynglaur posted:

Thread is :nws: due to images of destruction. https://twitter.com/WarintheFuture/status/1503499716209754115?s=20&t=OGH7qwSNl52By_PCQ1PXKQ

Mick Ryan's excellent daily analysis is up. It's pretty scathing of Russian generalship. He is not predicting a short war, though does predict that Russian offensive operations are days away from halting.

Saw this yesterday, rather sobering reading. His point that if Putin's Plan C is just to stay where they are and destroy everything they can, this could stretch on for years and it's hard to imagine that calls for further intervention won't escalate over that time.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Hunter Biden and Hillary? Russia's been watching Fox News.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Comstar posted:

Sorry, the point of posting it here and not the Clancychat thread is that this is allegedly from the FSB analyst who complained that invading Ukraine had has much chance of happening as an Asteroid strike on Russia.

So, something that happens occasionally?
https://earthsky.org/space/chelyabinsk-meteor-exploded-over-russia-feb-15-2013/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nenonen posted:

So... this guy predicted that there wouldn't be war, which makes him worth listening? I beg your pardon?

tbf, Russia's pretty extensive, they probably get hit by small meteorites all the time