Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Post the hot dog stand blender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I mostly like making realistic space stuff but this absolute nonsense for a change is pretty relaxing.

I sketched out this plasma cannon for another ship because there didn't turn out to be any existing design for it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
So I've made a ton of progress this month despite the fact it has been really rough on me which is a silver lining, but I've tried to neaten up my Driver character and I've come to the conclusion he really needs a retopology pass. This is a dumb question but if I remake his model, will I be able to attach it to my animated rig without issue? I know the answer is yes but I don't want to go through the effort of redoing my dude only to find out it ain't happening :v:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
February was a pretty horrible month on a personal level, but I finally made the progress I wanted with the project by completing the animation blocking for the final scene, allowing me to begin the act of polishing the animation. The first polish pass will be focused on de-anamatronicing the characters by elaborating on the blockouts, exaggerating their movements and adding a bunch of incidental actions like finger movements and so on, all the while altering or changing camera angles and movements to better frame the action. Further refinements, facial expressions, environment incidentals and smaller details will come in the second pass. It's a big job with a lot of (literal) moving parts, but it really allows me to have fun with the characters so it's far from tedious.

Other than the animating, the scene has a big bump to its visuals with its new lighting style (subject to change every five minutes :v:), some repolishing of the driver model (subject to an overhaul) and a ton of new models for headstones and a complete redo of the fountain for reasons that will later be apparent.

Here's the start to the animation, rendered in 60fps with a bunch of improvements to the animation of the driver, the vehicle and the camera. There are a bunch of subtle touches but also a few major ones - the character whipping his arm across his nose, leaning out the windows, a much more realistic animation when picking up the cigarette packet and so on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDCSrtr7ggQ

Contrast this against the animation before beginning the first polish pass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ehpLWhwl4o

I have some time off work due to recent events so I'm really hoping to knuckle down and get the ball rolling this month providing Elden Ring lets go of my balls :v:

I've got a lot of additional intents down the line for redoing models, the major ones being the dashboard of the Martin which I've never been pleased with and various improvements to the devices inside.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 1, 2022

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

first off sending you good thoughts as you deal with your personal situation. your animation is looking way better in that clip, if you can keep that level of quality your thing is going to look great

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

cool

https://twitter.com/faustxins/status/1498815504131231751?s=21

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

wtfff
https://twitter.com/kolupsy/status/1486056916891709450?s=20&t=whyvKYyXp4IuhxrE10gDLA

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Can't we just make Blender the ur-product, I want to geo node this post

Also I've spent the last few days remeshing my character and the whole host of problems it's caused better be worth how much nicer it looks

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Songbearer posted:

Can't we just make Blender the ur-product, I want to geo node this post

not until it has proper NURBS tools!

i learned the other night that rhino's blendEdge tool will make a proper six-surface G2 fillet if you use it on three convex edges. god drat is that gonna save me a lot of time going forwards. super cool

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
So I spent the better part of the week retopoing and retexturing my driver character. Here's the old version:

And the new version:

Now no part of me thought that this would be a simple task but holy poo poo this almost broke me. I didn't really want to redo my character out of laziness, but his topology was a mess when I first made him and I never went back to fix it. With the animation's blocking complete I kept running into frustrating problems with parts distorting badly and due to the garbage work I did no amount of weight painting would fix it:

So I thought, gently caress it right? It can't be that difficult to redo this and just glue it onto my new armature and boosh.

Except no, because my first model had completely hosed facial bones. Fine, the remesh can be a good chance to fix it and make it so I can use the rig for things like blinking and I can improve the eyes etc.

Except - and I have no loving clue what I was doing - the origins of the armature I were using were completely and utterly hosed. On top of the mountain of different vestigial constraints everywhere, I had applied transformations and keyframes to the armature object alongside the armatures keyframes. The rest pose of the armature was half the size of the character model and then scaled up by the root so just attempting to make a new rig and copying across the animation data completely broke the new model due to the insanity of the transforms.

Long story short I had to do the ol' programmer's pilgrimage of hacking through all the half-rear end solutions my idiot self used to just get poo poo going in order to make a simple rig and a new model to match it without losing all my animations in the process. I don't even want to think about the time it took to get to the point where the new model is usable. There's still some issues with it around the eyesockets and there's a noticable seam in the middle of the face which I can't seem to smooth out but I cannot give a poo poo - it is better than my old model.

Redesigning and texturing the model was fun and rewarding at least, and it gave me a chance to fix up a lot of things that bothered me about the old one. The coat now has some real depth to it without transitioning right into the shirt, it deforms beautifully, the hand controls animate so much better now (the contortions the old model had to do to look natural were sickening), I can use the models eyelids to blink rather than making a hackjob eyelid rig, whatever the gently caress was going on with his ears are now mercifully not, and his eyes are bigger, bluer, less beady and much shinier compared to the old version and he generally looks a little younger and more heroic (while still being a creepy fellow). I'll probably work on the facial textures a bit to bring the details out more and do some normals work to bring out the bone structure but for now I'm loving exhausted and desperately want to get on with the animation work.

I can't say I didn't learn a ton during this but goddamn was it a slog.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 10, 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

blender 3.1 is out and im fully erect and loving this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
uhhh the boner thread is that way

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
blender is proof that software can cause boner

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hey sagebrush

I have finally achieved the mousing nirvana you have spoken about

my sons new gaming mouse is really light and actually really nice to use, and you can change the dpi on the fly which is effectively cycling thru 4 sensitivity settings (wish it was two, normal and fine)

but what’s life changing is turning off acceleration and having a constant motion rate.

the distance to move the mouse enough to get to that button is predictable to my brain so I can move it directly there. sagebrush knows what I mean, and it’s only since i’ve used this high enough dpi mouse with no acceleration to finally experience it in all its glory

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hell yeah :hellyeah:

It took me a week or two to get used to having acceleration disabled after I decided to do it, but it really is so much nicer, right? It made me quicker and more precise and just generally better at everything from doom to photoshop. Couple that with a high-refresh monitor and a 1000Hz mouse (your gaming one probably already is) and it's like you're controlling the pointer with a laser from your brain.

In other news, this is not blender, but today in class I accidentally made a cool gross moldy material in keyshot so I thought I would share it here

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks, I hate it

it really took the nicer mouse to make it work. I’ve turned it off (acceleration) on any pc I use like the ones at work, but doesn’t make a big difference here.

anyway, now no one has any excuse

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I turned off mouse acceleration years ago because I thought it would make me better at tf2. it didn’t and now I get annoyed using other peoples computers

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I also went through a tryhard fps period where i was trying to get good at sniping and it turns out that a lot of the advices to make the best of your mouse for that are useful since the goal is to maximize accuracy and speed

A couple thing i remember besides disabling acceleration: set windows' mouse speed to 6 and then make your mouse faster or slower by tweaking the mouse DPI instead, assuming your mouse offers the option that is (otherwise the cursor may sometimes skip pixels)

Another thing that helps a lot is to use a large mouse pad and to lower your mouse sensitivity. You need to make larger movements but it means you use your entire arm instead of just your wrist and this helps doing more precise movements

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7076001573968547074

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

oh that is very nice. very nice and chilled.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

anyone seen plasticity? youtube recommended a video about it to me and it looks kinda neat. the dude making it say his target is artists who want to dick around with nurbs stuff without learning a full cad program

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LUsjUKbrhU

i downloaded fusion360 and freecad a while back and theyre p overwhelming to me, i can barely figure out how to do anything. this looks a lot simpler and the camera controls and keyboard shortcuts are similar to blender.

also i tested it out and its currently the easiest way on windows to convert a stp file to an obj to import into blender which is something i do occasionally, previously the best way i found was using fusion360 but you gotta upload everything to their cloud for the conversions which i kinda dont like. the code is currently lgpl but he said he’s gonna start charging $25 for a license eventually

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 17, 2022

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

nice!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

anyone seen plasticity? youtube recommended a video about it to me and it looks kinda neat. the dude making it say his target is artists who want to dick around with nurbs stuff without learning a full cad program

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LUsjUKbrhU

i downloaded fusion360 and freecad a while back and theyre p overwhelming to me, i can barely figure out how to do anything. this looks a lot simpler and the camera controls and keyboard shortcuts are similar to blender.

also i tested it out and its currently the easiest way on windows to convert a stp file to an obj to import into blender which is something i do occasionally, previously the best way i found was using fusion360 but you gotta upload everything to their cloud for the conversions which i kinda dont like. the code is currently lgpl but he said he’s gonna start charging $25 for a license eventually

seems neat, but it doesn't look any easier than doing it in fusion 360. the ui and keyboard stuff is closer to blender, yeah, so if that's the stumbling block i guess it's good.

it's all just basic nurbs solid modeling techniques though. the big difference seems to be that it's less parametric.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

seems neat, but it doesn't look any easier than doing it in fusion 360. the ui and keyboard stuff is closer to blender, yeah, so if that's the stumbling block i guess it's good.

it's all just basic nurbs solid modeling techniques though. the big difference seems to be that it's less parametric.

yeah maybe i should spend a bit more time with fusion360 because this seems cool and the ui has been the big stumbling block for me so far (havent put much effort into it really)

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Zlodo posted:

I also went through a tryhard fps period

Another thing that helps a lot is to use a large mouse pad and to lower your mouse sensitivity. You need to make larger movements but it means you use your entire arm instead of just your wrist and this helps doing more precise movements

I did this too, and got a MASSIVE mousepad, and the heaviest mouse I could find. (A Logitech iFeel Mouse from 1998 with a super heavy vibrator inside). Moving a heavy mouse with large arm movements is the height of accuracy. (Whenever I use a lightweight mouse I feel like I have a shaky neurological disorder.)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo so im watching the "whats new" and apparently the node editor has context aware search when dragging off a node

unreal engines blueprints has had this forever and it is a fuckin game changer, it always bugged me when I was using unreal engine for a while that blender didnt do this. now it does. hallelujah

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

echinopsis posted:

poo poo so im watching the "whats new" and apparently the node editor has context aware search when dragging off a node

unreal engines blueprints has had this forever and it is a fuckin game changer, it always bugged me when I was using unreal engine for a while that blender didnt do this. now it does. hallelujah

You can even search within nodes, like go directly to "subtract" in the vector math node

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
s
w
e
e
t

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Is there a way to context add nodes on an already existing line?

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

echinopsis posted:

This may be the dumbest question in the world, but is there any chance the 'Blender Game Engine' will ever be viable, maybe for like super simple webGL interactive things or something?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Captain Pike posted:

This may be the dumbest question in the world, but is there any chance the 'Blender Game Engine' will ever be viable, maybe for like super simple webGL interactive things or something?
It's not a thing anymore. They discontinued it some time back. I think it was the right choice to be honest. There's a certain attractiveness to doing everything in Blender, but a side project like that is never going to hold a candle to a dedicated game engine, and I think Blender development is spread thin enough as is. There are some features that are much closer to Blender's core functionality (like particles, or vdb volumes) that just stay neglected for years.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
IIRC they decided to align with Godot, but then Unity and Unreal got even more popular so most of the tutorials are for that.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Neon Noodle posted:

IIRC they decided to align with Godot, but then Unity and Unreal got even more popular so most of the tutorials are for that.

Sounds like they shouldn't have waited

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

saw some extreme closup images and videos of a human eye, pupil dilating etc. decided to try to make it in geo nodes

https://i.imgur.com/lp3crpS.mp4

thats the base layer of the iris, but it needs a second layer of bigger fibers on top. i think if i keep filling out details here i can probably even do veins and surface imperfections in nodes like this and it will be pretty cool

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

nvidia pretty much stopped updating their public physx releases because they have a program called omniverse now that integrates with a bunch of vfx and game engines and all the improvements just go to that. so ive been trying it out and its pretty hard going from blender to that, and there's no good tutorials. blender tutorialists go hard it turns out and ive been taking them for granted.

it has a node-based visual programming thing but its well hidden and slow as poo poo and seems like a lot of stuff is broken or too unintuitive to use, very disappointing. not even close to something like geometry nodes, let alone houdini

blender supremacy

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Oh hey fellow blender goons

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
welcome
to the best blender thread on the internet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

what do you use this for? is it a standalone thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

echinopsis posted:

welcome
to the best blender thread on the internet

Thanks, here's something I made recently https://youtube.com/shorts/vhKgYHsf_ZM?feature=share