Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

:chloe:

Seriously, everyone knows that Berkowtiz was lying about that talking dog poo poo. Why the gently caress would someone make a movie sympathetic to that dumb gently caress?!

Yes but it gave us an amazing episode of Venture Bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

roomtone posted:

there's also just the thing where you do a one episode story, and it turns out a lot better/more popular than expected - you've just hit on something you can expand, maybe even change the whole direction of a show, new characters who are just working on screen etc

can't do that when you write 12 interconnected episodes and half of the stuff you put in ends up bombing, gotta play it all out until the next season at least.

This is how I feel about Witcher

The first ep of season 2 was probably the best of the entire series in that it was an isolated monster of the week morality tale with no clear good or evil, it perfectly encapsulated the themes and mood of the universe

The best part of the game was the side quests and the tv show only spends like 10% of its time on that, and the rest on epic epicness blah blah destiny. It should be the opposite ratio with hints of the overstory which climaxes in the finale. Just have Geralt and Ciri go on adventures goddammit.

For example we’re also binging Stargate SG1 at the moment and while there’s a ridiculously persistent story arc for a network show of the time, each episode still has its own stakes and ridiculous situations that keep you entertained and guessing

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

LanceHunter posted:

In ENDLESS TRASH news...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78OKyNp4kqI

This looks interesting, and might even be good. I'm curious about how they're going to change up her origins and powers, since they're clearly stuffing The Inhumans (and thus Terrigen Mist) down a massive memory hole.

looks like body morphing is still way expensive and ugly as hell, so they just switched her from Mr Fantastic to Sue Storm

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Wait, there’s a CAPTAIN Marvel and a MS. Marvel?!

And they’re both :females:?!

How will the average, paste-eating Marvel fan ever keep track?!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They done my spider-legged boy wrong

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1503464122301628417

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

In ENDLESS TRASH news...

This looks interesting, and might even be good. I'm curious about how they're going to change up her origins and powers, since they're clearly stuffing The Inhumans (and thus Terrigen Mist) down a massive memory hole.

in what way does this look interesting or good because I’m not seeing it

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Quantum of Phallus posted:

in what way does this look interesting or good because I’m not seeing it

That Weeknd song kinda slaps. :shrug:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Haha they crammed him into the Han Solo movie specifically for Obi Wan and then afterwards changed their minds anyway

Say what you will about the endless marvel trash but at the very least they feel like someone actually planned things

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Lol just make the drat CGI luke show so I can cancel this terrible app

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

That Weeknd song kinda slaps. :shrug:

:hmmyes:

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

X JAKK posted:

looks like body morphing is still way expensive and ugly as hell, so they just switched her from Mr Fantastic to Sue Storm

surely netflix one piece will solve that problem lol

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Stink Billyums posted:

surely netflix one piece will solve that problem lol

the stretching effect just looks like that Roger Corman Fantastic 4 movie every time

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
i seemed to recall she was originally less rubber lady, and more like Apocalypse's power where she could increase her mass, but only like one body part at a time

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i don't mean this in a disparaging way but it looks like a tv show made for 12 year old girls, which is fine but i won't be watching it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gutcruncher posted:

Haha they crammed him into the Han Solo movie specifically for Obi Wan and then afterwards changed their minds anyway

Say what you will about the endless marvel trash but at the very least they feel like someone actually planned things

I think the plan back then was to go Solo > Qira (remember Qira?) > Obi Wan trilogy involving Star Wars heists and crime lords and whatnot.

They gave Lord & Miller 3 choices on who the crime lord would be who was talking to Qira at the end of Solo and they somewhat randomly chose Darth Maul.

The Hollywood Reporter article says Darth Maul and young Luke got scrubbed because the scripts came back as another Lone Wolf & Cub ripoff, and they were already doing one of those with the Mandalorian. So Filoni and Favreau threw a fit and tattled to Kathleen Kennedy who made them rewrite the whole thing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

LanceHunter posted:

In ENDLESS TRASH news...

They are absolute cowards for not having her embiggen

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They wanted to make three han solo movies. Imagine making solo a star wars story and thinking "yes, we definitely have enough ideas for two more films"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

X JAKK posted:

Looks like they do the big fist thing, but the trailer cuts around it presumably because it looks silly.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Quantum of Phallus posted:

i don't mean this in a disparaging way but it looks like a tv show made for 12 year old girls, which is fine but i won't be watching it.

paging lunchajones

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

No Mods No Masters posted:

They wanted to make three han solo movies. Imagine making solo a star wars story and thinking "yes, we definitely have enough ideas for two more films"

What makes you think Disney was ever concerned about whether or not they had ideas for the Star Wars movies they planned to release?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mozi posted:

paging lunchajones

lol oh nooo

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I continue to be amazed that I can remember the lovely Prequels from two decades ago more than any of the Disney Star Wars garbage I've seen

it all has this strange quality where it just slides right past your brain and none of it sticks

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The prequels are in my very soul, tormenting me. If you are suffering as much as I am please tell me.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The prequels may be terrible but they’re a lot more fun to pick apart than the also-terrible sequels

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Gripweed posted:

What makes you think Disney was ever concerned about whether or not they had ideas for the Star Wars movies they planned to release?

I think part of the problem from the start of the disney era was that the story committee was coming up with the ideas for movies they wanted to do and then matched directors with them. It seems like they might have moved on to actually allowing directors with an idea to then develop and see that vision through, but it's impossible to tell.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Disney films are bad in a committee type way. Lucas was inventing all new ways of being bad and doing them in a perfectly Lucas fashion.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

the prequels are compelling bad, like rubbernecking a terrible car wreck
the sequels are sad bad, like visiting a senile relative who keep repeating the same stories and smells of wee

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mozi posted:

paging lunchajones

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

Alden Ehrenreich was so good in Hail Caesar, when that magic didn’t happen in Solo, it was a disappointment. Solution: get the Coen brothers to direct a Star War.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Mozi posted:

paging lunchajones

:laffo:

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Automatic Slim posted:

Alden Ehrenreich was so good in Hail Caesar, when that magic didn’t happen in Solo, it was a disappointment. Solution: get the Coen brothers to direct a Star War.

People say that, and he did do a good job, but he's barely in the movie. It's like saying oscar issac was good in it too. And yeah, he was, for that small role he had. To me it wasn't indicative of leading star power.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Lister posted:

People say that, and he did do a good job, but he's barely in the movie. It's like saying oscar issac was good in it too. And yeah, he was, for that small role he had. To me it wasn't indicative of leading star power.

Maybe, maybe not. It's also indicative what an actor can do under the right direction, and the direction of Solo was a documented mess.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The other problem he had is that Solo had no idea what to do with the character. He played Solo like a smarmy millennial which... doesn't jive with Harrison Ford at all

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Monkey Fracas posted:

I continue to be amazed that I can remember the lovely Prequels from two decades ago more than any of the Disney Star Wars garbage I've seen

it all has this strange quality where it just slides right past your brain and none of it sticks

The prequels were bad, but in an interesting way. They were the product of one insane guy who no one had the balls to say "no" to, and he probably wouldn't have listened if they had.
The new Star Wars (except TLJ and Rogue One) were bad, but in a boring way. Bad decisions made by commitee.
It's like the difference between a steak seasoned with lavender and cinnamon opposed to bunches of chefs throwing different foods into a Crock Pot and boiling it down into flavorless mush. The steak tastes like poo poo, but at least it has a taste.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If I had to play han solo, I would simply base every aspect of my performance on the definitive song about the character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_FoEy8T_A

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

poisonpill posted:

The other problem he had is that Solo had no idea what to do with the character. He played Solo like a smarmy millennial which... doesn't jive with Harrison Ford at all

Just say millennial BOOM gottem

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Some old actor died recently and he was a nazi but refused to fire on some american troops or something? Does anyone know who I'm talking about? He might have been in the sound of music but I might have invented that

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The prequels were bad, but in an interesting way. They were the product of one insane guy who no one had the balls to say "no" to, and he probably wouldn't have listened if they had.
The new Star Wars (except TLJ and Rogue One) were bad,

hold the gently caress up

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Some old actor died recently and he was a nazi but refused to fire on some american troops or something? Does anyone know who I'm talking about? He might have been in the sound of music but I might have invented that

I feel like this sort of dementia posting is very on brand for the thread. It’s a niche I’d like to see us expand into more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

:chloe:

Seriously, everyone knows that Berkowtiz was lying about that talking dog poo poo. Why the gently caress would someone make a movie sympathetic to that dumb gently caress?!
I just like that he says "kill" four times

it's one too many times