Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BlindSite posted:

It's also why they all get so salty about fusions because you can actually do that mid point OHK where shotguns normally close the distance and rapid fire pulses because you can out duel a handcannon if you can get the right perk rolls (cause flinch).

And Grenade Launchers, because they can easily punish hiding in cover, which ruins the "peek, shoot, cover, repeat" cycle that has been so firmly drilled into their brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
As a bad-at-PvPer I'm sure I've caused unintended rage by using Witherhoard, wave frame grenade launchers, and anything else with relatively long-lived splash damage

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

DarkHorse posted:

As a bad-at-PvPer I'm sure I've caused unintended rage by using Witherhoard, wave frame grenade launchers, and anything else with relatively long-lived splash damage

This is the way

Khepri's Horn for added fun!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For those games where witherhoard just isn't cutting it don't forget you can swap to jotunn.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

and never forget the besto

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I gotta say this wellspring poo poo really sucks an rear end. I got very little time to play today and got one wellspring in, which dropped a come to pass, which was NOT red bordered, so I'm still gonna be two short, to be able to craft it, for this quest, until it comes around again on a day I can grind. In addition at some point I gotta do the same for tarnation. All this to unlock what I really want: the exotic glaive quest. Putting things behind one layer of schedule and two of RNG is a really lovely thing to do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wellspring is what happens when Bungie hits a story out of the park, everyone riding high on the game. Then someone decides they need to balance it out with soul crushing aggravation by making a miserable six man activity that is only tolerable every other day and requires a dozen or more runs to get the stuff you need for quest completion.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

The only time Wellspring is fun is the very first time you do Defend and jump off that balcony, and then it is forever worse than all the other destination activities currently in the game

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's wild to me that bungie thought I'd want to do this more than 9x times, ever, period, and also that Attack takes three times as long as Defend

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009
It's like a perfect design to instill resentment in the player base. Giving me Reckoning vibes. Honestly I'm surprised the problem is people being too eager to push forward to kill things - I really expected there to be more AFKers by now.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Funkameleon posted:

It's like a perfect design to instill resentment in the player base. Giving me Reckoning vibes. Honestly I'm surprised the problem is people being too eager to push forward to kill things - I really expected there to be more AFKers by now.

honestly if they afk in the circle/on the payload at least I'm fine with it

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

fast cars loose anus posted:

I gotta say this wellspring poo poo really sucks an rear end. I got very little time to play today and got one wellspring in, which dropped a come to pass, which was NOT red bordered, so I'm still gonna be two short, to be able to craft it, for this quest, until it comes around again on a day I can grind. In addition at some point I gotta do the same for tarnation. All this to unlock what I really want: the exotic glaive quest. Putting things behind one layer of schedule and two of RNG is a really lovely thing to do.

You've got tons of time to finish it, and the exotic glaives aren't that good anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

You've got tons of time to finish it, and the exotic glaives aren't that good anyway.

Yeah it's not season content, there's no reason to rush it unless you got a drive to clear out the list of chores. We got years to finish that junk.

Granted while psiops is time gated there's not much to do there either. I guess some of the guns are fun but the three man activity is a one or two runs tops before it's time to go do something else.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's less about rushing it and more that it stone cold sucks to do it, period. If I need to run 30 Wellsprings it doesn't bring me any joy to think that I could be doing them in 2023, too

Gotta do your Chores eventually; may as well clear 'em off the List

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It hurts less if you do 1% per week of pulling the bandaid.

And also maybe Bungie will make it less lovely sometime this year.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

xzzy posted:

It hurts less if you do 1% per week of pulling the bandaid.

And also maybe Bungie will make it less lovely sometime this year.

Yeeeeeee waiting for Bungie to Fix is a high risk, high reward effort but it definitely paid off here. They added guaranteed weapon/redframe weapon drops after a long enough dry spell to Wellspring last Thursday and apparently running ~5 Normal Wellsprings has a good chance of giving you two redframes!

Master Wellspring, by most reports, drops More Guns, Fewer Redframes, per hour

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I ground out the patterns over the last few days, on normal difficulty:

12 runs to get 3 snipers
13 normal and one master to get 3 bows
3 normal and 2 master for 1 gl (I already had one frame from earlier)
4 normal and 2 master for the auto. I must have had some amount of frames already done but I can't remember exactly.

this is just looking at bungie's website. I think one or two of the masters were failed attempts as well actually.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 15, 2022

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I played a Buff Gay Dude and got stomped. Sent you a friend request it's Casey Ryback

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
He’s buff & gay, what else did you expect

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Wasn’t Wellspring supposed to have 9 guardians? At the very least that would have given the activity something unique.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Mango Polo posted:

Wasn’t Wellspring supposed to have 9 guardians? At the very least that would have given the activity something unique.

Yes, but iirc there were technical issues with it

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Yes, but iirc there were technical issues with it

"Our cross platform peer to peer networking is garbage," is my guess.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Wellspring does feel sorta designed for 9, with some stuff having 3 lanes to defend or 3 zones to cap etc

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BlindSite posted:

It's also why they all get so salty about fusions because you can actually do that mid point OHK where shotguns normally close the distance and rapid fire pulses because you can out duel a handcannon if you can get the right perk rolls (cause flinch).

It's true. When I wandered into trials to gun farm my best friend that weekend was a well rolled rapid fire fusion.

It didn't make me good mind you, just remotely a threat.

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.
The only thing about wellspring I'm not a fan of is the people running ahead which just slows down the whole thing. The first few times I did it everyone stayed on the cart, the enemy flow felt constant, and it was a great time. Now half the group spawn camps doors and everyone is miserable. They need to bring over the pervading darkness debuff from the raid/perseverance and punish people for not playing the objective, they won't because then people will complain but it'd be good.

The rest of the activity is good and fun though imo.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I like the Wellspring, it's chill PVE activities and I use it to knock out Gunsmith bounties.

With the number of red-bars, it gives me the Dynasty Warriors feeling that Battlegrounds also does.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Paracelsus posted:

That doesn't really address my complaint or make it any more fun to have to run a not that engaging activity a bunch on specific days

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, basing the completion of a quest on a few very specific combination of drops was a very Bungo decision.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

much like nightmare hunts, wellspring was cool to engage with for a few days and is no longer interesting because it's frequently full of rushing tryhards

tying a RNG crafting quest to its drops sucks a lot and was a terrible move

the quest wouldn't be so bad if fynch could just. give you the loving guns. but apparently his engrams only drop what you've already earned, so that's pretty useless

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Tryhards" are only rushing forward because the activity is boring and the only way to have any hint of fun is run ahead and shoot stuff as it pops out of a spawn door.

It's a bad activity that's completely unsalvageable, and I hope the interns that created it stay awake at night feeling bad for what they did.

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.

xzzy posted:

"Tryhards" are only rushing forward because the activity is boring and the only way to have any hint of fun is run ahead and shoot stuff as it pops out of a spawn door.

It's a bad activity that's completely unsalvageable, and I hope the interns that created it stay awake at night feeling bad for what they did.

If everyone stays with the cart then there will be a steady flow of enemies for everyone to shoot.
Also what the gently caress is wrong with you.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
This is one of those times where I was completely baffled by the hatred until I realized that it comes from people who have been binging Wellspring since release. To me it just feels like a mediocre seasonal activity.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kinda hate people who rush forward and clear out everything on the first stage of defend because -someone- needs to stay in the zone.

Crafting system definitely feels laden with "oh no if people get the recipe too quickly, random drops become meaningless"

yes I thought that was the point

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Turra posted:

Also what the gently caress is wrong with you.

Besides playing destiny for 8 years, absolutely nothing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Kith posted:

the quest wouldn't be so bad if fynch could just. give you the loving guns. but apparently his engrams only drop what you've already earned, so that's pretty useless
It's one of many activities that would be vastly improved by having gambit / trials style engram focusing. At least then you'd know that after the 1st few runs and getting the gun to drop once, you could just focus on it from that point on.

Also it's yet another activity where you're competing with your team for kills if you have bounties to do, so yeah people run ahead to find an enemy that doesn't already have 5 other people shooting at it.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I too am puzzled by everyone complaining they cant craft every weapon with every possible perk the first week.

Wellspring sucks tho. it's half assed "we need SOMETHING" But it's in that weird thing where there are tons of dudes to murder but with 5 other guardians making everything explode in .2 seconds with all the void explosion stuff it makes you want to be at the front instead of "doing the thing"

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

ponzicar posted:

This is one of those times where I was completely baffled by the hatred until I realized that it comes from people who have been binging Wellspring since release. To me it just feels like a mediocre seasonal activity.

I haven't binged it, it's just very boring, and coming to the realization that I not only have to binge it but have to do so on specific days that may or may not match up with my ability to binge, instead of spreading that binge out over weeks, is the source of my annoyance

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Majere posted:

I too am puzzled by everyone complaining they cant craft every weapon with every possible perk the first week.

literally noone is doing this

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I like the defend wellspring but really do not like the attack one. Attack feels longer and is not as fun. But I do need to do some more grinding to get the weapons from there so I can be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only fun part in the attack mode is people getting instantly obliterated by ogre jizz when someone revives them because they didn't jump for cover fast enough.