Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the real point of promotions is deciding whose new cool sprite do you want to unlock

i really like anna's all white look... medina's pink outfit is cute tho too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
They can just give you cool outfits for leveling up to 20.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Some great things:

Piccoletta stealing Temporal Distortion and getting a 100% chance 2 turn stop on a boss.

Characters that are hyped for the entire game turning out to be as ridiculous as they were hyped to be.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Clarste posted:

They can just give you cool outfits for leveling up to 20.

Honestly? Yeah. I mean the weapon system is…. Eh. But at least there’s some semblance of choice. But the promotions are just weird because it’s just gating a minor stat boost and some abilities off. I wonder if initially the game meant to have branching promotions but wound up not given the amount of characters and this is just a relic of that.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Clarste posted:

I don't understand why the promotion system exists. It's like they wanted to ape Fire Emblem without understanding anything about why it worked in Fire Emblem, and also that Fire Emblem has since more or less abandoned it anyway. It just feels bad to be leveling up while missing skills?

Don't forget: It's not just ability gating. Promoting units also increases stats, as well as TP limit.

Edit: Medina has a special line in the encampment when you unlock her Weapon ability. I should check with others as I unlock them...
Edit 2: To be clear, I agree, the class system would be more worthwhile with, well, branches.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 15, 2022

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Clarste posted:

I don't understand why the promotion system exists. It's like they wanted to ape Fire Emblem without understanding anything about why it worked in Fire Emblem, and also that Fire Emblem has since more or less abandoned it anyway. It just feels bad to be leveling up while missing skills?

Sorta like Prowler said - the idea of the promotions is making you decide which of your characters are going to be stronger. That's why the medals are so rare.
You do get to promote everyone but because you have to do it bit by bit you're making a specific decision about who you're using and why

I do wish the system was more developed though

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The bigger, more exciting part is recruiting new characters with unique abilities.

There are definitely some good abilities locked behind promotions but I think the majority aren’t very good. The stat increases are minor but even one point in a stat is a big boost so it doesn’t bother me. Having more TP is a huge upgrade though. It’s a pain to unlock nodes on weapons, it requires so many materials but some of the skills are extremely good. It’s a simple and boring system, but it works well I think.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
A lot of skills locked behind promotion not being good is honestly a huge part of the problem imo. It turns it from "upgrade my favorite" into some kind of skill triage where I'm shooting for the least irrelevant skills.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 15, 2022

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Celestial Balm does not work with TP Physick and I am sad.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Speaking of exciting character recruitments, I just hit Chapter XV and Ser Maxwell is back, baby. It was pretty obvious he wasn’t dead.

For the big decision in Ch XV, does who you persuade to choose your route affect whether they come with you? I managed to persuade everyone but Roland & Benedict to go to the Rosellan Village, if I hadn’t convinced Hughette would she have stayed with Roland?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
No, only the two other conviction reps will leave your party.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Hot drat the 2nd Bridge fight kicked my rear end.

Very rewarding win though

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
True ending complete.

This is my favourite strategy game in years. That final sequence was phenomenal with a series of really varied and cool maps.

The game, with a fully developed cast, just feels like an absolute joy to play. I think a lot of this is how much amazing bullshit Medina activates purely through existing but there's so much stuff that unlocks at ultimate ability level that make characters feel perfect.

Hughette's overwatch is a great example, so's Piccoletta's copycat and Milo's temptation. The options the cast affords you are so diverse that no mission needs to feel the same.

The True Ending essentially being the logical conclusion of how I triangulated and thought about the game's choices was the icing on the cake and delivered a really satisfying conclusion overall. I think it stands up even better when contrasted with the other endings.

I'm kinda stunned that I really want to dive into NG+ after like 60 hours of playing this game because I want to see what the other characters can do. (And then make a tier list to annoy everyone)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Natural 20 posted:

True ending complete.

This is my favourite strategy game in years. That final sequence was phenomenal with a series of really varied and cool maps.

The game, with a fully developed cast, just feels like an absolute joy to play. I think a lot of this is how much amazing bullshit Medina activates purely through existing but there's so much stuff that unlocks at ultimate ability level that make characters feel perfect.

Hughette's overwatch is a great example, so's Piccoletta's copycat and Milo's temptation. The options the cast affords you are so diverse that no mission needs to feel the same.

The True Ending essentially being the logical conclusion of how I triangulated and thought about the game's choices was the icing on the cake and delivered a really satisfying conclusion overall. I think it stands up even better when contrasted with the other endings.

I'm kinda stunned that I really want to dive into NG+ after like 60 hours of playing this game because I want to see what the other characters can do. (And then make a tier list to annoy everyone)

Did you do Golden after one playthrough? You still have several characters to recruit! One of the best archers in the game exists on a path that doesn't lead to that ending Trish - who is a hyper aggressive archer who does tons of damage and steals on hit.

I'm trying to get the three normal endings and recruit everyone first before going for the Golden ending but Elden Ring has taken my attention for the moment. As far as character Tier lists, I haven't really felt that anyone is just heads and shoulders above anyone else. Every single character has a niche they fit into and is good at what they do and oftentimes how good a character is depends on synergies with others. I love that.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Levantine posted:

Did you do Golden after one playthrough? You still have several characters to recruit! One of the best archers in the game exists on a path that doesn't lead to that ending Trish - who is a hyper aggressive archer who does tons of damage and steals on hit.

I'm trying to get the three normal endings and recruit everyone first before going for the Golden ending but Elden Ring has taken my attention for the moment. As far as character Tier lists, I haven't really felt that anyone is just heads and shoulders above anyone else. Every single character has a niche they fit into and is good at what they do and oftentimes how good a character is depends on synergies with others. I love that.

I actually missed the true ending on my first run blind by a single choice so I just went back, corrected that and then played through to the end.

The game implied that the Rosellan village was going to give me a cute redhead and drat if I'm not going for that immediately.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Prowler posted:

Don't forget: It's not just ability gating. Promoting units also increases stats, as well as TP limit.

Edit: Medina has a special line in the encampment when you unlock her Weapon ability. I should check with others as I unlock them...
Edit 2: To be clear, I agree, the class system would be more worthwhile with, well, branches.

Hossabara had a special line when I promoted her to Cure Knight, so I think most or all of the unlockable characters say something when you upgrade their weapon or promote them.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Holy gently caress the first map on Hard NG+ is beating the poo poo out of me.

Poor Roland gets oneshot no takebacks.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Do consumables used in mental battles disappear?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Fangz posted:

Do consumables used in mental battles disappear?

Not if you retreat. Unsure if you win.

Apparently weapon damage upgrades allegedly do increase caster damage. Can someone confirm at all?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

Not if you retreat. Unsure if you win.

Apparently weapon damage upgrades allegedly do increase caster damage. Can someone confirm at all?

It says they do. Healing too.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

ImpAtom posted:

It says they do. Healing too.

Nah the weird part that threw me off is that healer weapons explicitly note that they restore more HP:

But caster weapons have nothing of the sort wrt spell damage:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Yeah I haven't upgrade mage weapons ever because it doesn't explicitly say that it increases magic attack or magic damage

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Somehow I missed that part about healing more HP. The upgrades are so expensive and money/materials are so annoying to get!!!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So how are the story and characters so far

On a scale from cargo cult FFT to 10

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Story fun, characterization weak. Everyone has depth but nobody really gets to express themselves besides a few.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
The story is average. The characters are fine. Their characterization is more in their special battlefield abilities than any dialogue they speak, with some exceptions.

This is a game you play for the combat and the pretty 2D-HD graphics. That's enough for me. I'm having a really good time with this game.

Just finished chapter 9 part 2. The beginning of that fight sucked but I only lost 2 people total.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I am digging the options in combat more than I thought I would. Not super far in (Chapter 7 Part 2?) but I haven't really resorted to the same strategy from battle to battle.

And if I ever make a JRPG you're going to get experience per action based on the average / expected level (whatever catchup system they have here) and definitely keep the experience gained but not the items lost upon wipe.

I'm not sure why no one to my knowledge has made JRPGs xp-per-action but that's a glaring oversight considering how often you'll get walled by a boss and how unsatisfying it is to backtrack.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

The story is average. The characters are fine. Their characterization is more in their special battlefield abilities than any dialogue they speak, with some exceptions.

This is a game you play for the combat and the pretty 2D-HD graphics. That's enough for me. I'm having a really good time with this game.

Just finished chapter 9 part 2. The beginning of that fight sucked but I only lost 2 people total.

The story is fantastic with loads of twists and turns, loads to see and three really well realised enemies.

I find the battles tiresome and while they're fun for a while you get stuck using the same abilities for quite a while. By chapter 18 I threw it onto Very Easy so I could enjoy the story and not have to spend ages doing each battle. The enemies deal too much damage and I deal too little, I feel like I'm missing some sort of defence buff for my guys.
I'm not saying they're bad or anything, it's just there's SO MANY enemies towards the end of the game I kinda get tired of faffing with it. There's not also a huge amount of enemy unit variety, I'd like to see more kinds.

Just finished my first playthrough - where is it I go to see my Convictions in NG+? I swear it said "scout report" at the sundry shop but it doesn't appear to be an option, do I have to do one fight first?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Scout Information shows up at Chapter 5 when recruiting starts.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think it's hard to take someone's opinion about the story seriously when they previously acted like they outsmarted the game by only picking the "good" choices

On the other hand I think it's hard to take someone's opinion about the combat seriously when they said they didn't use a number of units because they don't like thinking a move ahead in a strategy game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Story is good to great. Ymmv with the amount of talking but the pace of evens out deeper in and I can say that basically none of the voiced lines are wasted or filler.

I credit getting as close as I did to the true ending on the first run not to any real smarts but due to the game giving such a clear feel of what choices would mean whilst not explicitly stating the consequences of those choices.

Combat is great with some niggles. Certain maps, I'm looking at you mine cart madness, are probably too large for their own good which can hurt the game's pacing a little. But skills are varied and interesting to use and rarely did I feel like anything going wrong was the game screwing me rather than my own mistake.

Progression is iffy. Levels feel pretty superfluous as a mechanic because underleveled characters are so strongly boosted and over leveled characters just don't get meaningful XP. It feels like you could do the game better if you just increased the full roster's level every time you finished a chapter. Additionally the resource requirements for weapon upgrades and promotions might be grating for some. There's a good decision space for how to upgrade, but certain materials, in particular silver, being permanently limited meant I couldn't enjoy all my characters to their fullest.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

I think it's hard to take someone's opinion about the story seriously when they previously acted like they outsmarted the game by only picking the "good" choices

On the other hand I think it's hard to take someone's opinion about the combat seriously when they said they didn't use a number of units because they don't like thinking a move ahead in a strategy game.

Yea, there's too many moving parts and I can't be bothered with it all. It's nice at low levels but later on I feel like if I'm not just directly attacking the enemy (or healing my units) I'm getting splattered and you have to play very defensively and slowly as well - it's just not what I enjoy.
It takes a while to reach that point though for sure.

Mostly I care about seeing new enemies and seeing new allies and that dries up past about chapter 15.

I'm also a bit sad that maps move from doing 12 deployment back to 10.

McTimmy posted:

Scout Information shows up at Chapter 5 when recruiting starts.

Ah thanks!

Taear fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 15, 2022

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Snooze Cruise posted:

Fighting for justice and murdering fantasy billionaires and their fantasy cops owns. I'm fantasy antifa.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
So do you have to play through the game four times to unlock all the characters then? Or is there a quirk to NG+ that stops that need?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Captain Oblivious posted:

So how are the story and characters so far

On a scale from cargo cult FFT to 10

I like the story and characters, everyone has reasonable views on things and I like the Scales of Conviction mechanic. I also like that unlike FFT or whatever, AFAICT, it's a pure medieval politics story and does not turn into Oh, BTW, there's an EVIL DEMON BEHIND EVERYTHING!!!!!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Fangz posted:

I like the story and characters, everyone has reasonable views on things and I like the Scales of Conviction mechanic. I also like that unlike FFT or whatever, AFAICT, it's a pure medieval politics story and does not turn into Oh, BTW, there's an EVIL DEMON BEHIND EVERYTHING!!!!!

Related and end game spoilers here
I'm sad we never found out who the heirophant was because I kinda expected a robot or something like that.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Natural 20 posted:

So do you have to play through the game four times to unlock all the characters then? Or is there a quirk to NG+ that stops that need?

No fast way, unfortunately. You'll have to take the branches you didn't take to recruit everyone.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Fighting for justice and murdering fantasy billionaires and their fantasy cops owns. I'm fantasy antifa.

Not giving up roland is pro-monarchy, so youre def not antifa

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

mandatory lesbian posted:

Not giving up roland is pro-monarchy, so youre def not antifa

Nah Roland is basically Harry or whichever one talked poo poo about the Queen and got cut off or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
look roland is a gently caress up, but don't compare him to harry. that is really mean to roland.