Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

In a sane world, I'd imagine they would try to land closer to Kherson so they can pressure the Mykolaiv defenders from the other side of the Bug, but this is a world where high ranking people think unsupported air assaults deep behind enemy lines are a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Arrath posted:

Forget shooting an rpg at a range in Cambodia, I get to pull the trigger on an mlrs???

Ngl ukraine should have taken the full blown war tourist approach to foreign volunteers. Probably could have even charged for the ATGM experience and broke even

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Whoa a Fox News cameraman was killed

quote:

A Fox News cameraman was killed on Monday in Ukraine when his vehicle came under fire outside of Kyiv, the network said. The cameraman, Pierre Zakrzewski, was a veteran war reporter who had been reporting in Ukraine since February.

Mr. Zakrzewski, 55, was traveling in the same vehicle as the Fox News correspondent Benjamin Hall, who was also injured in the attack, which occurred in the town of Horenka. Mr. Hall remains hospitalized in Ukraine; Fox News has not shared additional details about his condition.

Suzanne Scott, the chief executive of Fox News Media, announced the news about Mr. Zakrzewski in a memo to staff on Tuesday, calling it “a heartbreaking day.”

“Pierre was a war zone photographer who covered nearly every international story for Fox News from Iraq to Afghanistan to Syria during his long tenure with us,” Ms. Scott wrote.

“His talents were vast and there wasn’t a role that he didn’t jump in to help with in the field — from photographer to engineer to editor to producer — and he did it all under immense pressure with tremendous skill. He was profoundly committed to telling the story and his bravery, professionalism and work ethic were renowned among journalists at every media outlet.”

Mr. Zakrzewski, who was based in London, also assisted last year in Fox News’s efforts to extract its Afghan staff members from Afghanistan after the Taliban took control of the country.

“Pierre was a constant in all of our international coverage,” Jay Wallace, the president of Fox News, wrote in the memo. “I, like countless others, always felt an extra sense of reassurance when arriving on the scene and seeing him with camera in hand. The legacy of his positive spirit, boundless energy and eye for the story will carry on.”

On Sunday, the American filmmaker and journalist Brent Renaud, 50, was shot and killed while reporting in a suburb of Kyiv.

Trey Yingst, another Fox News foreign correspondent who is reporting from Ukraine, posted a photograph on Twitter of himself and Mr. Zakrzewski.

“I don’t know what to say,” Mr. Yingst wrote. “Pierre was as good as they come. Selfless. Brave. Passionate. I’m so sorry this happened to you.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/15/business/media/ukraine-fox-news-cameraman-killed.html

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

CainFortea posted:

I can not imagine a redneck with an MBT letting the gun be disabled under any circumstances.

Remember when that old German got in trouble a couple years back when he took his completely intact panzer to the store because there was too much snow for his car? Gonna be hard to find them all to deactivate them at this point

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Arrath posted:

Forget shooting an rpg at a range in Cambodia, I get to pull the trigger on an mlrs???

Completely off-topic and I know you're joking but I would recommend against shooting RPGs for fun in Cambodia or any other country for that matter. If they're poorly maintained they could misfire and it actually happened to someone I knew, he was a good 20 feet away from the people firing it and he still got impaled by something, barely survived and now has a massive vertical scar running from his collarbone to his belly button.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bees everywhere posted:

Completely off-topic and I know you're joking but I would recommend against shooting RPGs for fun in Cambodia or any other country for that matter. If they're poorly maintained they could misfire and it actually happened to someone I knew, he was a good 20 feet away from the people firing it and he still got impaled by something, barely survived and now has a massive vertical scar running from his collarbone to his belly button.

Hey but the story he got from it though

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

ASAPI posted:

Looks like Russia thinks they have figured out how this amphibious assault works.

https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1503732767569420296

Any bets on if they even make it to shore? Did the last attempt get blown up/had a riot on a ship?

My view is that it's more of a naval invasion-in-being, as the threat alone of naval invasion ties down Ukrainian forces badly needed elsewhere. Russian forces aren't remotely capable of pushing to Odessa over land to support the invasion, the airforce has proven themselves unable to properly perform CAS and russian naval artillery is so far untested and as everyone probably knows, contested naval invasions in general are one of the most difficult military endeavours one can undertake. An attempt would be astonishingly unwise and spell certain death and destruction, and not for the Ukrainians. So, I'm sure it's just a feint and surely this time the Russians won't prove themselves incompetent, bumbling fools. On the other hand, *Gestures incredulously at every other decision the Russians have made so far*

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

psydude posted:

Hey but the story he got from it though

:lol: Definitely, and I knew another guy who was saved by the camera in his shirt pocket (the left breast pocket) when a D-30 howitzer misfired and the shell exploded as it left the barrel. Moral of the story: Always wear full PPE around exploding things, even when you're further away from them.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Platystemon posted:

Is there precedent for theft by conversion between two states?

There have been times when ships under construction were commandeered by the shipyard’s nation at the outbreak of war. I don’t know about ships that had already been delivered and returned to spawn for maintenance.

Didn't someone declare war once while a bunch of their ships were in the enemy's port?

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Does Russia have a Marine Corps who is supposed to be trained in amphibious invasions?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Something that randomly just occured to me: what's true for the Russian airlines operating western aircraft is also true for the multitude if militaries that operate Soviet and Russian built aircraft (and presumably tanks, weapons, and ships, to a lesser degree). Outside of Russia the only facility factory authorized to overhaul MiG and Sukhoi aircraft is in Zaporzhizhia. (Obviously the factory authorized part may have changed since 2014)

I think India has that ability for it's Su-30MKIs since they build them locally (don't quote me on that, though.) But all the other operators are SOL once their overhaul periods come up.

I don't imagine that, say, Peru is going to want to send their MiG-29SMPs or Su-22s to Russia now.

Yeah, this is always a concern with operating Russian designed equipment. Even India, which has used MiGs and Sukhois for decades, runs into problems here. The Russians force you to buy into the whole "ecosystem". Outside contractors, usually in the form of national export bureaus, can provide some parts and ammunition (more on this later). Engines, radars, major systems are another story. Unless their arms are twisted behind their backs the Russians are loathe to license out production of full weapons systems. The problems inherent in this arrangement are compounded by a need for the Russians to fullfill local contacts first.

We can take Ukraine as an example of an outside contractor. The Kharkiv Tank Plant is among the largest, most experienced in the world. If you, as a country, enjoyed the T-64 and T-80, they will gladly new build or rebuild the things for you. Modern optics, powerpacks, comms equipment, etc. They'l keep on supporting the things, as they use them and depend on exports to keep the lines open and updated. This is a great deal if your country already produces ammo for the guns, parts for the motors, etc. or if it can integrate locally-built sub-systems.

Poland is a big player in T-72-alikes, Romania has tried with the LancER MiGs, even Israel gets in the game sometimes.

I strongly suspect that some of the ire Russia has for Ukraine is due to capturing military production contracts the Russians wanted, or could never get because Ukraine is willing, able, and outside the RF sphere. The last war, and this one, have severely hampered Ukraine's ability to sell military equipment world-wide. Cancelled or partially completed contracts abound. A curious amount of explosions have happened at ammo plants on both sides.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

He'll find no love from his home channel I'm sure of that

Stravag posted:

Remember when that old German got in trouble a couple years back when he took his completely intact panzer to the store because there was too much snow for his car? Gonna be hard to find them all to deactivate them at this point

Got in trouble because the decal covering the swastika fell off

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

meatbag posted:

Does Russia have a Marine Corps who is supposed to be trained in amphibious invasions?

they have naval infantry on paper, who knows if they have any landing vehicles that work though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CainFortea posted:

I can not imagine a redneck with an MBT letting the gun be disabled under any circumstances.

Look, Ukraine Bubba needs that tank to protect his second amendment rights. Just in case the Russians invade again!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

bees everywhere posted:

Picturing your friend walking into the local VFW and sitting himself down at a table of vets all 30-40 years older than him, showing them his scar, and saying “I hear ya. Fuckin’ VA wouldn’t recognize this when I got wounded by an RPG in Cambodia.”

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

rednecks wouldn't buy a tank, it would be a lawyer from fort worth that likes to play dress up as a cowboy

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Didn't someone declare war once while a bunch of their ships were in the enemy's port?

Mussolini entered WW2 without issuing a warning to his merchant marine, yeah.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

meatbag posted:

Naval Infantry, yes. Heavily blooded in Crimea during WW2, incidentally. They got hosed up pretty well there. Black uniforms, white belts.

Cold War, they would have been tip-of-the-spear during ops in Scandinavia and the Nordic coastline. Maybe pushing through the Baltics following the outbreak of war.

Now they are more a coastal QRF than a full-blown "storm the beaches" branch. The Army has no problem supplying troops to pack into landing craft and their few gigantic hovercraft for something more substantial.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 15, 2022

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Japan in WW2, yes. A bunch of their cargo was being carried in neutral flagged ships as well and was promptly seized.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Loezi posted:

Historically in Finland this has been something like 20 % for joining Nato, 30 % uncertain/neutral and 50 % against. In January this was 30-27-43 (pro-uncertain-against), and last week it was 53-19-28. The latest polls also found that 63 % were for joining in a scenario where the president/PM were pro-joining with 23 % against.

Here are the Finnish NATO polls for the past two decades. "Yes / Not sure / No".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

PookBear posted:

rednecks wouldn't buy a tank, it would be a lawyer from fort worth that likes to play dress up as a cowboy

rednecks would buy a bmp and take it mudding

E; and use it to hunt coyotes

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 15, 2022

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

PookBear posted:

Why would a ukrainian redneck need to buy a tank? They're just laying around to be yoinked.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is pretty common throughout history to be honest - happened all the time in the Age of Sail. Without radio or telegraphs or the like it's not possible to tell ALL your merchant ships to get out of hostile ports before the declaration of war arrives because if you're a country of any reasonable size you're gonna have merchants everywhere. Even after long-range communication became a thing, if someone suddenly starts pulling out all their merchant ships out of your country that's kind of a giant warning sign that something's going on which you may or may not want.

MILITARY ships being interned would be rarer though. It might have happened but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

FrozenVent posted:

Lockheed’s got a boner to rival Boeing’s.

And all the Russian commercial aircraft makers building planes no one wants.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I’ll take “Aww that’s adorable” for $500, Alex.

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1503744554444505093

There's an even funnier follow-up:

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1503786901517611023?t=8gUyhWdB7BhDq2AcjH1Y9Q&s=19

They sanctioned the wrong Joe Biden

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

rednecks would buy a bmp and take it mudding

E; and use it to hunt coyotes

If you live in an isolated community within Russia, there is a mechanism to provide a number of military vehicles for transport and supply. Mostly unarmored tracked vehicles, like the MT-LB or any one of the SPG ammo carriers. There's even a BTR variant built to RF civilian spec, with no armor and holes cut all over for windows.

Point being Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov, firewood collector from BFE, Siberia is better equipped than the Army to move through deep mud.

gently caress, the Russians and Belarusians made/make plenty of huge articulated tractors that would be very useful to their armed forces right now.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alan Smithee posted:

Ngl ukraine should have taken the full blown war tourist approach to foreign volunteers. Probably could have even charged for the ATGM experience and broke even

I was joking with my dad saying Ukrainian farmers, even if they have to demilitarize them, could make a bucket of cash letting Americans drive these things and futz around in them. Not sure what the insurance rates would be like though.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I was joking with my dad saying Ukrainian farmers, even if they have to demilitarize them, could make a bucket of cash letting Americans drive these things and futz around in them. Not sure what the insurance rates would be like though.

Hopefully the friendly neighborhood cops don't end up with them.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

The music choice :allears:
https://twitter.com/Blue_Sauron/status/1503793494955020293?t=xMXCUmXaKINTRj1nBMu-TQ&s=19

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Was that an "OK, time to get the gently caress out of here" motion or a "do it again" motion?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ZombieApostate posted:

Was that an "OK, time to get the gently caress out of here" motion or a "do it again" motion?

Reload or wrap it up, maybe to move to a new firing point.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Farking Bastage posted:

Hopefully the friendly neighborhood cops don't end up with them.

Honestly if Ukraine makes it out of this; I expect them to be setting up a very robust civilian training program something similar to Switzerland at its height of doing that.

Also add the 593back for the clip. Its loving horrific though so SUPER :nms: for what it’s worth the source is a German new station and they narrate what’s going on. I don’t speak German though so I can’t really comment on that. This is from the GBS Thread.

quote:

Who wants war crimes against civilians!
https://twitter.com/ZDFfrontal/status/1503751916395843 593
Drone footage of Russian checkpoint stopping the car, shooting the driver, throwing him into a ditch, woman, and child is taken to woods.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Guy sitting on top had a nice ride.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

ZombieApostate posted:

Scoot for your lives boys

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/siobhanehughes/status/1503810117204123658?s=21

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Ahh yes, having nuclear reactor crews be exhausted sounds like a great idea!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cimber posted:

And being held at gunpoint!

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

Stravag posted:

Is this the story you're referring to? https://www.businessinsider.com/germany-senior-wwii-nazi-tank-in-basement-fined-293000-2021-8

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cimber posted:

To be fair: There are no active reactors there, but regardless the Russians have taken the whole "Take people hostage/slavery" thing to heart. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

To be fair: There are no active reactors there, but regardless the Russians have taken the whole "Take people hostage/slavery" thing to heart. :smith:

Uhhh, i am not sure that's true. I thought they kept the other reactors online. Have they shut them all down?

e: Yeah, they did in 2012.