Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Fabulous Knight posted:

One of the last things I saw in this thread before going to bed last night was a Twitter thread where some Russia head suggested that the anti-war protest by the female Russian Channel One reporter was fake and designed to manipulate Western sensibilities. Having taken a look at things today, it seems like the consensus is that it was genuine and the woman has been made to disappear? Most takes I see seem to be taking the protest at face value.

Quite frankly I don't think the Russian propaganda machine is sophisticated enough to galaxy brain a false flag anti-war protest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

D-Pad posted:

This brings up a question. If Ukraine comes out of this intact what are the chances they get NATO once removed? Like they form a defensive pact with Poland and similar countries where an attack on one is an attack on all. They aren't officially part of NATO but if Russia attacks Ukraine then Poland and the rest automatically get involved which then pulls in NATO when they are attacked. Functionally it's the same as just bringing Ukraine into NATO but it seems like the type of technicality you sometimes see in international geopolitics where NATO can say with a semi-straight face that Ukraine isn't a member while in practice any attack on it would end up being an attack on NATO hence NATO once removed.

that would just open up the door to more brinkmanship and be very dangerous. the current situation already shows that really, EU and NATO membership should be a single package and there should be no "grey areas" where one thing applies and the other doesn't (like in sweden and finland), a halfway alliance with a single nato state would just invite russia to test the strength of that and if they do they either will find that they can safely ignore it or it will lead to war with nato

i hope ukraine comes out of this still independent but truly neutral (i.e. not like belarus or kazakhstan or something)

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Shibawanko posted:

that would just open up the door to more brinkmanship and be very dangerous. the current situation already shows that really, EU and NATO membership should be a single package and there should be no "grey areas" where one thing applies and the other doesn't (like in sweden and finland), a halfway alliance with a single nato state would just invite russia to test the strength of that and if they do they either will find that they can safely ignore it or it will lead to war with nato
I get how the overlapping institutions are confusing, but would mean the US would have to join the EU...

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

10 days or years? Because 10 days seems awfully low for doing that in Putin's Russia.

Not saying you're wrong but it seems completely out of left field.
Which is weird in itself since there was a previous post specifying that she was going to be specifically tried under the new laws. Not sure if that was just social media bs though.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

That Italian Guy posted:

Which is weird in itself since there was a previous post specifying that she was going to be specifically tried under the new laws. Not sure if that was just social media bs though.

Thank you! I actually hadn't heard about that, but that is absolutely bizarre to me. I thought she would have been made an example of (unless she still will be, by other means).

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Seth Pecksniff posted:

10 days or years? Because 10 days seems awfully low for doing that in Putin's Russia.

Not saying you're wrong but it seems completely out of left field.

Nah it was 10 days. The article that was posted here said because the law giving 15 years for anti-war stuff hadn't gone through yet it was a mis-demenour or some such. With how little the law seems to matter in russian court cases seemed a bit weird, yeah.

mobby_6kl posted:

No I don't think in this arrangement NATO gets involved automatically. Otherwise that would be one neat trick.

Mostly as that would be Poland attacking, defense pacts don't draw in others if your the one attacking. I mean, this can obviously get complicated but yeah.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Shibawanko posted:

i hope ukraine comes out of this still independent but truly neutral (i.e. not like belarus or kazakhstan or something)

you mean that countries can't join the EU without being a part of NATO, and vice versa? that makes no sense

or do you just mean that accession to EU / NATO should be a binary flag, "are you in or are you out", rather than having varying degrees of uptake and agreement

either way i dont understand how this would work in the real world, either with the situation we currently have or with potential new members

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

uXs posted:

Someone should have told them that being respected by Europe would be a lot easier if they weren't a bunch of murdering dickbags.

Maybe try doing more science and culture poo poo instead, they have historically been good at those.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/OlenaHalushka/status/1503751457664905230

Ukraine doing what USA keeps dragging their feet on (internally).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Goddamn that is was one lovely buzz cut.

It's better now, trust me.

Fabulous Knight posted:

One of the last things I saw in this thread before going to bed last night was a Twitter thread where some Russia head suggested that the anti-war protest by the female Russian Channel One reporter was fake and designed to manipulate Western sensibilities. Having taken a look at things today, it seems like the consensus is that it was genuine and the woman has been made to disappear? Most takes I see seem to be taking the protest at face value.

It would be a pretty strange psyop move if it really was that. "Our population's morale is so weak that even the propaganda outlets are openly confronting the government!" is some nth dimension chess. Next up, we will see president Putin poo poo his pants and Russian generals cry they're too young to die on live tv. Take that western degenerates!!!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/VSinkevicius/status/1503703209486991369

EU environmental commissioner is in Ukraine as well.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Days.

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1503733894520131587

Though it seems that the situation has progressed since the time of the tweet, and the prosecution is investigating criminal charges against her after all. They seek to charge her with 207.3, which, depending on the modality, carries the punishment anywhere between $6500 and 15 years in prison.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

boofhead posted:

you mean that countries can't join the EU without being a part of NATO, and vice versa? that makes no sense

or do you just mean that accession to EU / NATO should be a binary flag, "are you in or are you out", rather than having varying degrees of uptake and agreement

either way i dont understand how this would work in the real world, either with the situation we currently have or with potential new members

countries that are now members of nato but not likely EU member candidates should remain nato-only (turkey, unless it stops being basically a dictatorship at some point in the future, norway and iceland unless they change their mind)

countries that are in the EU but not NATO members are vulnerable, the EU defense pact is weaker than the NATO pact, it's why putin feels safe to threaten finland, these countries should be strongly encouraged to join nato

any new EU member states should join both

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Mariupol hospital situation us getting worse :smith:
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1503764538797219848?t=iJ0z-KWizZipD46hK1WYdw&s=19

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I saw that edit.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I saw that edit.

Hush, you saw nothing

In other news, Fox News' Ukrainian fixer also died in the attack, not that they mentioned it
https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1503766249528045574?t=vxJ7r7CmcVpxhXnY2B2Onw&s=19
https://twitter.com/t_bezruk/status/1503764721215885316?t=T_rw4YAX_MnSGHrkagUA5Q&s=19

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Well, that was anticlimactic.
https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/1503768944146100234

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

Are you saying that the US and Canada have to join the EU? Jokes aside, NATO and EU membership cannot possibly be linked. They're completely different things. The EU is a political, economic and military union, with the express goal of working towards increasing amounts of integration. NATO is a mutual defense pact.

The EU is so tightly integrated that anyone invading a member country is de facto invading the entire union. There is nothing grey about EU members not being part of NATO - or vice versa. It might get awkward if someone invaded a non-NATO EU member (ie Sweden or Finland) - but not because noone would intervene, but because the US would have to intervene. EU has members have transferred part of their national sovereignty to the EU - and hence an attack on the EU is an attack on the sovereignty of numerous NATO members, even if such an invasion is aimed at say Swedish territory.

Russia would never attack Sweden or Finland without also planning for a war with at least all of EU, but more likely, NATO proper. They'd likely still try for a fait accompli on the Baltics and parts of Swedish/Finnish/Danish territory - but invading, say, Sweden and threatening the EU with nukes if they intervene is something even Kremlin knows wouldn't work. Rather they'd try the fait accompli and then escalate to de-escalate or simply threaten escalation if NATO doesn't accept a ceasefire and peace talks. Based on what we now know, such a fait accompli would likely fail terribly, but nevertheless I expect that was the plan after Putins assumed quick annexation of Ukraine, Moldavia, Georgia, etc.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

How many divisions does the Pope have?
https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1503769705391263745?cxt=HHwWgsC4nY2lu94pAAAA

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
When a Russian state TV guy talks about invading Antarctica I think you can generally disregard everything they're saying.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

That’s the punishment for the administrative crime, unlawful incitement of a protest. The criminal charges are pending.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So that’s what, $5?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Not quite accurate. That's just for the prerecorded statement
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1503757190154407941?t=PIzMuTvXwQA9p_Tmz5KPqw&s=19
Also she has young children so apparently under Russian law she couldn't be held much longer. Not that it always matters, but hey

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

FlamingLiberal posted:

So that’s what, $5?

$280.37

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

FlamingLiberal posted:

So that’s what, $5?

Less than $300 US lmao

efb

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That’s the punishment for the administrative crime, unlawful incitement of a protest. The criminal charges are pending.

Not to tin-foil hat but if all she gets is a slap on the wrist then I feel like it leads some credence to this being bullshit to begin with

edit: I guess we'll see, but her treatment thusfar doesn't seem to match with how they've treated less "public" protestors

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Victis posted:

Not to tin-foil hat but if all she gets is a slap on the wrist then I feel like it leads some credence to this being bullshit to begin with

edit: I guess we'll see, but her treatment thusfar doesn't seem to match with how they've treated less "public" protestors

Maybe that has too much visibility to just disappear her like some rando from the street

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

mobby_6kl posted:

Certainly, but I'm wondering how many in the West will advocate handing over everything back just in case they're serious

half of pittsburgh take it or leave it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

So that’s what, $5?

around $275/€260

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It was a bad joke

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What the gently caress

https://twitter.com/danaisarova/status/1503442355495571461

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

you unironically don't gently caress with the swiss guard

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Ukrainian parliament met in person again, the mad people
https://twitter.com/InnaSovsun/status/1503731906420031492?t=5N_WhUdP68Sy25EQNT2W6A&s=19

Also Russia has quit the Council of Europe (likely in advance of getting kicked out, they were already suspended) which isn't great
https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1503773284697059333?t=obK83c6uxadbx8b84rEyXg&s=19
Not that they were being very respectful of human rights anyway, but this could cause escalations in Russia. Alexei Navalny is in custody for instance, and Russia is technically free to re-implement the death penalty

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

This feels like the wartime equivalent of one of those fake Lifehack videos where they pull a perfectly cooked fillet steak out of a toaster or make white strawberries by dipping them in bleach

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KitConstantine posted:

Ukrainian parliament met in person again, the mad people
https://twitter.com/InnaSovsun/status/1503731906420031492?t=5N_WhUdP68Sy25EQNT2W6A&s=19

Also Russia has quit the Council of Europe (likely in advance of getting kicked out, they were already suspended) which isn't great
https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1503773284697059333?t=obK83c6uxadbx8b84rEyXg&s=19
Not that they were being very respectful of human rights anyway, but this could cause escalations in Russia. Alexei Navalny is in custody for instance, and Russia is technically free to re-implement the death penalty
You can't kick us out, we quit!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Fabulous Knight posted:

Thats just Ukranians being angry at Russian protestors getting attention. Ignore it, Russian media is not a place of 5d chess operations, especially during wartime.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

KitConstantine posted:

and Russia is technically free to re-implement the death penalty
While yeah not good, it's not like the Russian government had any issue killing who ever they wanted anyway. This would just be making it official.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Tigey posted:

This feels like the wartime equivalent of one of those fake Lifehack videos where they pull a perfectly cooked fillet steak out of a toaster or make white strawberries by dipping them in bleach

Incidentally, the company that produces most of those "5 minute lifehacks" is Russia based. Some of their stuff is produced elsewhere, including the EU, but IIRC the majority is Russian.

edit: oh shi, they're actually moving poo poo into Latvia.

a podcast for cats fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 15, 2022

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

They are pulling the fuse out and the water helps deal with friction and sparking and what not.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Funny post: Hillary Clinton was included on Russia's list of sanctioned individuals.

Hillary don't care. Hillary don't give A gently caress
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1503752794158911493?t=sy9FYHBnAp3VtaDjWTZeOQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

KitConstantine posted:

Funny post: Hillary Clinton was included on Russia's list of sanctioned individuals.

Hillary don't care. Hillary don't give A gently caress
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1503752794158911493?t=sy9FYHBnAp3VtaDjWTZeOQ&s=19

Hah, awesome.