Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Judakel posted:

Denmark has been absolutely devastated by COVID.

Errr, what? How do you define "devastated"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Steen71 posted:

Errr, what? How do you define "devastated"?

Apperently there's new B's unsourced things being posted that the danish population has been 1/4 crippled by covid, and 1/8 now have brain damage, with no sources or actual studies. Just absolute garbage from people to spout crap.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Judakel posted:

Denmark has been absolutely devastated by COVID.

No, it hasn't.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Apperently there's new B's unsourced things being posted that the danish population has been 1/4 crippled by covid, and 1/8 now have brain damage

Oh, those are just Swedes living here.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Judakel posted:

Denmark has been absolutely devastated by COVID. Ironic, since some here vehemently argued against proactive measures in favor of reactive measures. A country giving up, as Australia has, does not spare them the ongoing disabling and deadly effects of COVID waves.

Australia is highly vaccinated and able to cope, where exactly is this disabling and deadly wave?

And what the gently caress is this bullshit about Denmark being absolutly dvestated?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Australia is highly vaccinated and able to cope, where exactly is this disabling and deadly wave?

And what the gently caress is this bullshit about Denmark being absolutly dvestated?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Had to look up lorteby but lmao

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Do you have any proof for any of what your posting or are you just going to stick with telling people in the countries you keep attacking that they don't understand covid and only you know the best ways to combat it, and that china is the absolute gold standard we all should strive for (ignoring that china's vaccine isn't as effective, they have slowboated the mRNA vaccine because it's not there's, and actively aren't as vaccinated as they could be)

Like you just keep repeating the exact same statements and yelling at anyone that tries to engage that they don't know anything but you have the answers.

At this point I've muted him because he constantly says Australia "gave up" - after we switched tack from elimination/COVID-zero when being in hard lockdown for weeks and months on end because it no longer achieved the result of, for example, Melbourne's previous FIVE lockdowns by driving cases down to zero or even driving them down at all.

Apparently we should have just stuck with the lockdown for the rest of eternity no matter what. My friend's grandad whose dementia worsened and then he died after not being able to have visitors to his care home just "gave up." My neighbour with mental health problems who lives alone and couldn't visit his friends or his partner for months on end, and whose relationship subsequently ended, just "gave up." My local cafe owner who closed his business down after 18 months of cycling on/off lockdowns "gave up." (My local pub owner "gave up" too.) My friend whose already-concerning alcohol consumption took a steep rise when we hit the second long lockdown "gave up." My uni friends who lost the third and fourth years of their education to Zoom, all the new friends and contacts they could have made - you guessed it, they just "gave up." My friends who cancelled and rescheduled their wedding four times over as we flipped in and out of COVID-zero and precautionary lockdown - they "gave up" as well. My partner and the rest of her family who have a 3-year-old nephew/grandson in New Zealand they've only met once? Boy, you better believe they're giver-uppers. And as for my own family in Western Australia whom I haven't seen since 2019? Yep - we all just "gave up."

None of which is to say these sacrifices weren't worthwhile in 2020. But it's not even the fact that we have vaccines now. It's the fact that the lockdowns STOPPED WORKING TO GET US BACK TO COVID-ZERO. This happened in Australia, it happened in New Zealand, it happened in Vietnam, it's happening right now in Hong Kong! I cannot loving believe people still espouse this. I don't give a flying gently caress whether it's because of the more contagious variants or the fact that people are people and just couldn't cope with it anymore, or - probably, given the geographic variety! - a combination of both. It is actually loving psychopathic to espouse some fantasy hard lockdown scenario, with all the misery entails, in 2022 in the age of Omicron and high vaccination rates. And I'm sorry, but given all of the above, given my own personal experience over the past two years, it also makes me really loving angry.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Judakel posted:

The huge amount of misinformation about COVID vaccines did not help Hong Kong and they should've more tightly controlled their media in order to prevent. Going forward, I can only hope that there will be changes along those lines.

The amount of unvaccinated elderly in mainland China should prompt them to pressure their populace into taking the vaccine, but it is remarkable that they've done such a tremendous job and it is only 15 million. I am far more optimistic about what the mainland can do about the recent outbreak there, because the party has tighter controls over response.

In HK a good chunk of disinfo, misinfo, and generally confusing info about Covid was coming from official sources and another good chunk from old distrust of the central government, so I'm not sure tighter control of the media would have helped much. And uh, they also did shut down the largest media company in HK and put its executives in jail.

I'm actually surprised how low the vaccination rate is among the 80+ population in China. It's barely over 50 percent. (I'm also kinda surprised that there are only ~40 million (?) people over the age of 80 in a country with 1.4 billion. It's loving hard to make it that long I guess.)

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rust Martialis posted:

Oh, those are just Swedes living here.

Malm:owned:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

freebooter posted:

At this point I've muted him because he constantly says Australia "gave up" - after we switched tack from elimination/COVID-zero when being in hard lockdown for weeks and months on end because it no longer achieved the result of, for example, Melbourne's previous FIVE lockdowns by driving cases down to zero or even driving them down at all.

Apparently we should have just stuck with the lockdown for the rest of eternity no matter what.
It seems to be a lot less about actual covid control strategies and a lot more about cheerleading for China. Covid has not, ultimately, turned into the world's impetus for Full Communism/Authoritarianism Now, so now all that's left is exaggerating how devastated the rest of the world is for failing to do so.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

the ride never ends

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1503571864861388802

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maybe I’m stupid, but wouldn’t that kind of increase correlate with more people being hospitalized, or with higher test positivity rates? What exactly is the claim with that wastewater thing?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Wastewater increases have been leading indicators of COVID waves

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

I AM GRANDO posted:

Maybe I’m stupid, but wouldn’t that kind of increase correlate with more people being hospitalized, or with higher test positivity rates? What exactly is the claim with that wastewater thing?

no, it's typically wastewater of entire areas. like everyone who shits in a given area has their poo poo go through the same treatment plant, and they test that plant for the incidence of covid viruses to get a pretty drat good predictor of covid rates in the area since it doesn't depend on people having to actually get tested or report the results of those tests

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I AM GRANDO posted:

In the last wave around Christmas/New Year it preceded a large spike in cases. Although I dunno, I recall the spike on those graphs (Boston got posted a lot) was substantially higher than 1000%. (More like 30-50x).

Seems like the amount of infections and (especially) dangerous infections in the US is less indicative of a spike in mortality nowadays because Omicron variants are less lethal and there are just a shitton of antibodies in the population now that most people have gotten vaccines and many have been infected multiple times now. So even if the spike got as high as the January one it would probably be at least somewhat less lethal.

CFRs have dropped significantly with each wave, for a bunch of reasons.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 15, 2022

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The fact that the Biden administration is basically packing it up and saying "you're on your own and get back to the office," lol is so loving gross.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

When was their message anything different? I guess last year it was “we gave you $2500, now get back to the office!”

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LionArcher posted:

The fact that the Biden administration is basically packing it up and saying "you're on your own and get back to the office," lol is so loving gross.
Congress is refusing to fund the various programs. The Biden administration wants to keep all the programs and monitoring going and is asking congress to get off their asses.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Barudak posted:

Shenzhen is locked down for a week to try and get covid under control (I hope it works)

I hope it works too - and not just because it's where a kickstarter I'm signed up to is doing their manufacturing, and literally every world event is a reason to delay even more these days

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

LionArcher posted:

It would be gross if this were a true thing that were happening. Biden is asking for tons of money, Congress is currently saying no. You are wrong.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

i don't doubt that covid rates either are going up currently, or are bound to, but take a look through the responses. There's some real weirdness to the data behind that diagram:

https://twitter.com/mikescar99/status/1503577610290229252?s=20&t=7mdgJVpAaLW74I9dl7_u5Q

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Riptor posted:

i don't doubt that covid rates either are going up currently, or are bound to, but take a look through the responses. There's some real weirdness to the data behind that diagram:

https://twitter.com/mikescar99/status/1503577610290229252?s=20&t=7mdgJVpAaLW74I9dl7_u5Q

lol they overflowed the buffer

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Riptor posted:

2147483647 is the max value of a 32 bit signed integer. So those values are bunk.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

2147483647 is 2^31-1 i.e. -1 as a signed twos-complement integer, meaning it is an invalid data sentinel being interpreted as data.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Congress is refusing to fund the various programs. The Biden administration wants to keep all the programs and monitoring going and is asking congress to get off their asses.

the good cop says he really wants to help me out, but he can't because his partner is such a bad cop :(

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

VitalSigns posted:

the good cop says he really wants to help me out, but he can't because his partner is such a bad cop :(
Right, because congress always does what the administration wants, and therefore shows us what the administration really wants. Excellent analysis.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

Seems like the amount of infections and (especially) dangerous infections in the US is less indicative of a spike in mortality nowadays because Omicron variants are less lethal and there are just a shitton of antibodies in the population now that most people have gotten vaccines and many have been infected multiple times now. So even if the spike got as high as the January one it would probably be at least somewhat less lethal.

CFRs have dropped significantly with each wave, for a bunch of reasons.
Illustration of this from my local area (SF):

More than half of the total pandemic cases have been in the omicron wave, but a much smaller fraction of the total deaths

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Which party holds majority power in Congress and who is that partys leader?

Yes this is Bidens failure.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

droll posted:

Which party holds majority power in Congress and who is that partys leader?

Yes this is Bidens failure.

It takes 41 votes to block anything in Congress, there's 50 republicans.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Right, because congress always does what the administration wants, and therefore shows us what the administration really wants. Excellent analysis.

Agreed I think the good cop really wants to help us out, must be why he joined the force to fight bad cops like his partner!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

UCS Hellmaker posted:

It takes 41 votes to block anything in Congress, there's 50 republicans.

Bill failed in the House

https://mobile.twitter.com/nprpolitics/status/1501650493592018946

E:
more details

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/09/congress-government-funding-package-00014322

quote:

House Democrats on Wednesday cleared a $1.5 trillion spending compromise — along with billions in emergency aid for Ukraine — in a major victory for President Joe Biden, even as a rank-and-file revolt forced party leaders to strip billions of dollars in pandemic relief from the same bill.

Democrats were jubilant over the passage of the bill, which was the result of months of protracted battles with GOP leaders. But it wasn’t without last-minute drama in the House, where Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her leadership team were forced to yank the White House’s $15 billion coronavirus relief request out of their bill after dozens of members revolted against paying for that aid using their home states’ stockpiles of pandemic cash.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 15, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Barudak posted:

Shenzhen is locked down for a week to try and get covid under control (I hope it works) and Shanghai whether or not numbers are going up up uppity up in shanghai residents are already acting like they are and flights and traffic are getting blocked*. Im hoping these measures work, but the current rumor is that the new strain is 80% asymptomatic with incubation periods over 2 weeks so the current methods aren't strong enough.

*Someone I vaguely know went yo shangahi to dump his girlfriend and is now trapped with her unable to go home.

I think I've seen that movie.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
This was part of the Twitter thread posted on the last page and is a good visualization of the massive difference that vaccination makes to your CFR. 0.1% for New Zealand vs 4.7% for Hong Kong during their respective Omicron waves.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1503420660869214213

Given China's lackluster over-80 vaccination rate this does not bode well for them if they are unable to contain their most recent outbreaks in the face of the more contagious BA2.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1503809317174009858

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Why do people keep posting this guy if he can't even tell what a basic error looks like?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

I mean the line's still going up so that's bad, but 800 cases a day in a country with 1.4 billion people! By comparison, Japan is on the slow decline from the Omicron peak right now, and yesterday Shiga Prefecture, which has a population of 1.4 million people, had a bit fewer cases than all of China.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I AM GRANDO posted:

wastewater > cases > hospitalizations > deaths

a very cool and unexpected leading indicator!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gio posted:

wastewater > cases > hospitalizations > deaths

a very cool and unexpected leading indicator!

So you're saying pooping causes covid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

spankmeister posted:

2147483647 is the max value of a 32 bit signed integer. So those values are bunk.

Is Eric Topol reporting on a bunch of divide by zeros?