Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I threw an oil pot at Alexander and now he's hostile. WTF was I supposed to do? He didn't call out to me like he was supposed to but I'm pretty sure I'm up to that point in his questline.

There's a big difference between talking to a fella until he asks nicely for you to throw poo poo at him vs walking up to a stranger and hucking poo poo at him instantly without his permission or consent. Atonement should fix it at least.

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Flame of the Giants and the Flame of Frenzy are

LIKELY, but not definitively, different forces yes. The Frenzied Flame was carried by the Nomads. That’s why there’s a billion dead Nomads in the tomb of the Frenzied Flame. One of the frenzied flame spell descriptions explains that Marika and the Golden Order quite literally buried them all alive to stop the spread of the Flame of Frenzy.

I coudn't find the description you're alluding to but
The nomatic merchant's set has the following description:
"These merchants once thrived as the Great Caravan, but after being accused of heretical beliefs, their entire clan was rounded up and buried alive far underground.
Then, they chanted a curse of despair, and summoned the flame of frenzy."

So it's implied that the nomads worshipped the Three Fingers or somesuch but not the frenzied flame. The frenzied flame came about only after they were persecuted and locked into underground concentration camps and started praying and chanting and cursing for revenge. Not sure how Shabiri works into this, because the frenzied flame was also supposed to have originated from him? I guess he was just one of them.
None of the five frenzy spells in the game seem to say anything about Marika or the Golden Order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

No Wave posted:

I mean it's absolutely the game's fault what do you mean. It's literally designed to hit players more.

No?

Delaying attacks is a major thing and if you can read em you'll be fine and can further push the bosses poo poo in.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lord_Magmar posted:

Rolling through liquids that apply status effects get you covered in the liquid and so you continue to gain the status effect even on safe ground until the covering fades off. This is visually represented by your literal character model having the associated liquid drain off from their body. You may notice how the green poison or red scarlet rot goop slowly travels up your character’s cape. Rolling instantly covers the entire character.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think it gets a bit old when nearly every other boss has an animation that makes you think it's going to swing with a timing only to swing a moment or so later.

It feels less like something you can read and more something you just need to remember.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There's a big difference between talking to a fella until he asks nicely for you to throw poo poo at him vs walking up to a stranger and hucking poo poo at him instantly without his permission or consent. Atonement should fix it at least.

I coudn't find the description you're alluding to but
The nomatic merchant's set has the following description:
"These merchants once thrived as the Great Caravan, but after being accused of heretical beliefs, their entire clan was rounded up and buried alive far underground.
Then, they chanted a curse of despair, and summoned the flame of frenzy."

So it's implied that the nomads worshipped the Three Fingers or somesuch but not the frenzied flame. The frenzied flame came about only after they were persecuted and locked into underground concentration camps and started praying and chanting and cursing for revenge. Not sure how Shabiri works into this, because the frenzied flame was also supposed to have originated from him? I guess he was just one of them.
None of the five frenzy spells in the game seem to say anything about Marika or the Golden Order.

re:shabriri, his backstory mentions him being an infamous slanderer and Literally The Worst, but not his body-snatching or association with frenzy. I guess he must have picked it up on the side

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Meeting Shabriri was a trip. Oh cool, this guy! I'm pretty sure I saw him die, maybe this is one of those doubled/copied people I've been noticing? Oh, no, it's someone using that guy's body, well that was nice of him. Wow he sounds like he has some wisdom to share. Mmhmm, mmhmm. Oh. Oh, no. Oh no get away and never talk to me again.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

codo27 posted:

Let me say it again. This is not the games fault, its your fault. Having that attitude towards your failures will make the game so much less frustrating, and you'll be better for it. I still say there is a lot more cheap poo poo in this than any of the previous games but this was just a clever advancement of the combat system and you need to learn to adjust. Try not to go on auto pilot.

Uuuuuuuugggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Is it just me or are there a lot of NPCs who give you zero clue as to where you might find them next? I feel like I've missed out on a a bunch of NPC questlines (I don't worry too much because in previous games it usually just meant missing out on a weapon or item I'll never use). My plan was to keep a notebook for playthrough number 2 and try to do as much NPC stuff as possible but unless I'm really dense there's a few people that are just like "welp maybe see ya later!"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still think there should be an ending where Patches stabs you after you win the game and becomes Elden Lord

He deserves it

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I still think there should be an ending where Patches stabs you after you win the game and becomes Elden Lord

He deserves it

he really doesn't

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Infinite Karma posted:

Are people just making glass cannon PvP builds? I was doing Varre's quest yesterday and invaded some people (I'm very high level, like 180, with +25/+10 weapons), and my Wave of Gold one-shot several people, and the regular quick cast Lightning Spear did almost 1000 damage, easily 2-shotting people without ever getting close. I guess people don't take offensive faith magic seriously.

They’ve fallen for the armor doesn’t matter meme most likely

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Mountain: This begins a thing, but doesn't irreversibly do anything until you beat the main boss of the next area (farum azula)
Points of no return: The boss of the next area, farum azula, will lock you out of Leyndell. Shortly after that you can approach the thorny door and presumably go through it and I assume that's the final boss which would presumably lock you out of stuff but I haven't actually gone in there yet.
Haligtree: Yeah this is an optional side area

The final boss does not actually lock you out of anything afterwards. It does the DS3 thing where it asks if you want to advance to NG+ or stay in the same world (and you can advance to NG+ at the roundtable later). If you stay, NPCs don't even seem to react to it! I guess if you don't go NG+ you're canonically forever suspended in the moment right before fighting the final boss.

Vintersorg posted:

No?

Delaying attacks is a major thing and if you can read em you'll be fine and can further push the bosses poo poo in.

It's the game's "fault" in the sense that yes the game really is designed to punish players for just rolling on reaction when a move starts. I don't think that's a bad thing though.

Oxyclean posted:

I think it gets a bit old when nearly every other boss has an animation that makes you think it's going to swing with a timing only to swing a moment or so later.

It feels less like something you can read and more something you just need to remember.

Having boss fights that you have to learn to fight and remember how to avoid particular attacks etc is what keeps them interesting. If every boss had the same timings so you could just roll everything on reaction without ever having seen it before, the game would be pretty boring and every boss would basically feel the same.

e:

hatty posted:

They’ve fallen for the armor doesn’t matter meme most likely

Armor does not fix having 1000 max hp at level 180. They most likely fell for the "armor is important" meme and put too many levels into endurance instead of vigor, thinking that armor is a replacement to hp for survivability instead of a minor bonus that's only worth it after your vigor is already high enough. Now they have loads of poise but die in one hit. On the bright side, even though they have literally half the maxhp of a 60-vigor player, they have 10-20% higher damage negation due to their super-heavy armor! Surely that will fix things.

And yeah I've seen a good amount of players like that while invading too. Especially in low level zones you'll find people fatrolling in the heaviest armor they can find with literally no levelups in vigor.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 15, 2022

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Meeting Shabriri was a trip. Oh cool, this guy! I'm pretty sure I saw him die, maybe this is one of those doubled/copied people I've been noticing? Oh, no, it's someone using that guy's body, well that was nice of him. Wow he sounds like he has some wisdom to share. Mmhmm, mmhmm. Oh. Oh, no. Oh no get away and never talk to me again.

Pretty impressive how every additional sentence this guy says after his fairly reasonable opener just gets more and more bugfuck insane

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It wasn't Alexander. It was just some poor innocent jar and his kid at the bottom of the cliff in Jartown that I thought was Alexander. That explains why it was so pissed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

literally couldn’t go five minutes without going full Bloodborne. you’d think someone executed for slander would be more persuasive!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

codo27 posted:

Let me say it again. This is not the games fault, its your fault. Having that attitude towards your failures will make the game so much less frustrating, and you'll be better for it. I still say there is a lot more cheap poo poo in this than any of the previous games but this was just a clever advancement of the combat system and you need to learn to adjust. Try not to go on auto pilot.

they literally said "irrationally" but sure, do go off on them

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

skasion posted:

Pretty impressive how every additional sentence this guy says after his fairly reasonable opener just gets more and more bugfuck insane

Yeah, that was an utterly perfect bit of writing and voice work

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Professor Beetus posted:

Is it just me or are there a lot of NPCs who give you zero clue as to where you might find them next? I feel like I've missed out on a a bunch of NPC questlines (I don't worry too much because in previous games it usually just meant missing out on a weapon or item I'll never use). My plan was to keep a notebook for playthrough number 2 and try to do as much NPC stuff as possible but unless I'm really dense there's a few people that are just like "welp maybe see ya later!"

Nah there's tons of griping about this through this whole thread!
Also sometime the place you need to find them next is... right where they are now! Hit a site of grace and come back and wow there's new stuff!

The end of Fia's questline pissed me off pretty hard in that regard. She doesn't move from her spot, but I need to fast travel back to her site of grace like 5 times to advance the quest.

Am I locked out of anything for having hung out with the 3 fingers?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sockser posted:

you’re now locked into the super-evil ending, unless you apply a complicated remedy that involves finishing millicent’s quest and beating both super bosses

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Having boss fights that you have to learn to fight and remember how to avoid particular attacks etc is what keeps them interesting. If every boss had the same timings so you could just roll everything on reaction without ever having seen it before, the game would be pretty boring and every boss would basically feel the same.
but every boss is kind of feeling the same because I get hit constantly by cheap attacks I can't read.

I mean, there's definitely a level of salt here, but there's been some amount of boss attacks where I go "oh i need to run" or "I need to roll through" or "I need to back off" and that's fairly satisfying. big boss man raising his arm up and then swinging after a random amount of waiting is not fun to figure out because it never really gets easier to remember the timing.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Professor Beetus posted:

You are locked out of your sanity. Embrace the madness and unleash chaos to purify the Lands Between.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

RBA Starblade posted:

He deserves it
I disagree. I think these games all need a pop-up that says "it's now safe to kill patches" after you finish all his quests.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean even with the waiting all the bosses attack patterns are still predictable. They can randomize how the combos chain together but they can’t (or haven’t) made the attacks themselves random

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

but every boss is kind of feeling the same because I get hit constantly by cheap attacks I can't read.

I mean, there's definitely a level of salt here, but there's been some amount of boss attacks where I go "oh i need to run" or "I need to roll through" or "I need to back off" and that's fairly satisfying. big boss man raising his arm up and then swinging after a random amount of waiting is not fun to figure out because it never really gets easier to remember the timing.
I was underleveled for goldfrey and enjoyed him a whole lot. He just felt good to fight. I would have enjoyed a few more easily read bosses like him.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It would be cool if Keen wasn't bugged to make you lose damage at +25 unlike every other infusion :argh:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Nyoro posted:

It would be cool if Keen wasn't bugged to make you lose damage at +25 unlike every other infusion :argh:

Trust me this isn't limited to Keen. Luv to lose damage upping my heavy greatsword to +25.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Nyoro posted:

This is weapon-specific. It happens with certain Heavy weapons as well, including the Greatsword. I guess it just happens to +25 weapons with high enough stat scaling in general?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Let me be clear on how much I HATE that one dungeon with the Chariot of Doom rolling about.

It's not the Chariot that's the problem, it's all those cheap motherfuking ghosts spawns that NEVER fail to shank you in the spleen whenever you have to dodge in those safe alcoves :argh:

I'm just gonna cheese up my levels so I can muscle through the bullshit, the one thing RPGs can never take away from me!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Parrotine posted:

that one dungeon with the Chariot of Doom
ha.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Armor does not fix having 1000 max hp at level 180. They most likely fell for the "armor is important" meme and put too many levels into endurance instead of vigor, thinking that armor is a replacement to hp for survivability instead of a minor bonus that's only worth it after your vigor is already high enough. Now they have loads of poise but die in one hit. On the bright side, even though they have literally half the maxhp of a 60-vigor player, they have 10-20% higher damage negation due to their super-heavy armor! Surely that will fix things.

And yeah I've seen a good amount of players like that while invading too. Especially in low level zones you'll find people fatrolling in the heaviest armor they can find with literally no levelups in vigor.

Honestly most of the talismans with offense boosts are pretty mediocre. 10% extra damage isn't really a lot, very few moves have a breakpoint where you will kill something in less hits.

I windmill slammed the Greatshield and Pearldrake +2 talismans as soon as I could, the extra defense on top of armor and good Vigor is pretty noticeable. I have something like 1700 hp with 70 poise and maybe 40% reduction on all damage types and it's a huge difference in PvP. It'd be even higher if I used the defense buff incantations but I'm honestly just lazy. The bigger bummer is that matchmaking is hosed at high levels, I haven't found anywhere I can co-op since starting NG+.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

No Wave posted:

I disagree. I think these games all need a pop-up that says "it's now safe to kill patches" after you finish all his quests.

I let the fucker kick me off a cliff and he has the nerve not to give me an apology gift. The nerve. But I suppose that's the greatest prank From could play.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Nyoro posted:

Wait what? Maxing out a weapon lowers the damage?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Horace Kinch posted:

Wait what? Maxing out a weapon lowers the damage?

Only specific weapons, it's a bug. The weapon preview will show you before you upgrade so you can just hold off and stay at 24 if you're using one of the ones hit by it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

isn't it only one levels worth of damage though so it's essentially making your sword go from +24 to +23? annoying to be sure but shouldn't ruin your game if you didn't notice it and mashed upgrade

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
I feel like kind of a bitch for letting the summons handle Radahns phase two. Pancaked his phase 1 every time but he has a lot of one-shot kills in phase two.

I feel like From actively encouraged you to finish the fight that way with how it was designed but it just doesn’t feel quite right.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Parrotine posted:

that one dungeon with the Chariot of Doom

:laugh:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Fire Monks do not worship the giants. They are a Golden Order adjacent religious order tasked with stewardship of the Giantsflame. They are theocratic prison wardens. The Giantsflame springs from a Fell God that held dominion over the Fire Giants, and it is because of that God that the flame of the Forge cannot be extinguished. So Marika settled for assigning jailors.

So yeah, I think that you can argue that the flame incantations in general (with the likely exception of the Godskin cult's black flames, which appear to be associated with a third, minor Outer God) are the product of a war between the Greater Will and the Frenzied Flame for authority over fire as a concept - a tool of order or an agent of chaos.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

hobbez posted:

but he has a lot of one-shot kills in phase two.

No he doesn't, you dont have enough vigor

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

codo27 posted:

No he doesn't, you dont have enough vigor

I went in with 25 vigor and Carian Knight Armor, which seemed perfectly adequate for everything else in Caelid, and stuff like the attack where he fires his four big meteors at you two at a time was enough to smoke me in a single hit. He really does dish out the hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

So yeah, I think that you can argue that the flame incantations in general (with the likely exception of the Godskin cult's black flames, which appear to be associated with a third, minor Outer God) are the product of a war between the Greater Will and the Frenzied Flame for authority over fire as a concept - a tool of order or an agent of chaos.

no, the Frenzied Flame is also distinct. it’s not chaos in the sense of order’s antithesis, but in the more archaic sense of the primordial nothingness before creation - it claims to be part of the “One” before life existed, and wants to return everything to oblivion

the giant’s flame and the black flame are just agents of death/change, and the Greater Will abhors them because it’s all about unending life

if nothing else, the fact that the Fire Giant’s eyes aren’t exploding shows it’s not playing for the same team. god, could you imagine what a nightmare that would’ve been