Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Home with two sick kids, and I have a filling later

I used to be a youth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Google, please introduce a tipping function for basic guides on how to do something. Make that a way to make a living, where instead of a 20 minute youtube video where 80% of it is telling you to smash the notification bell, make it so i can give money to people who just tell me how to do it, no frills, just the steps. I have spent 2 days trying to learn how to stream oculus quest 2 to twitch. I will not watch your drat videos. Just tell me how in text, i'll pay you!

I say quit while you are ahead. My peeve is being married to a streamer. We going today? Welp poo poo thought I had a day off but gotta wash my hair and change my pants. I also get to be side character to a bunch of internet strangers. It's weird.

It's also very fun, and I like playing video games with my wife. But suka blyat.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Youtube has easily the best streaming video interface that's ever existed. But recently some videos (but not all videos for some reason) with the "shorts" tag get a different video player that's "optimized" for mobile (despite me browsing on my desktop), with no volume control and no seek bar, and the usual youtube hotkeys that I reflexively use do DIFFERENT THINGS. Try to turn down the volume of a loud video? Instead, it scrolls down, stops the video that was playing, and starts playing a different video. And since there's no seek bar, when I remedy my mistake and go back to the original video, I have to watch the first part again! gently caress you, youtube. Stop giving me tiktok; if I wanted to use tiktok I'd be on loving tiktok.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lin-Manuel Miranda. His songs are loving poo poo but I can't get them out of my head. Jemaine Clement as a giant crab is the one good thing he's ever done, but even so, I don't get Jemaine earwormed into me, I get horrible Hamilton songs I don't even want to remember.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Nobody understands my annoyance with Lin-Manual Miranda. It sucks, because I like Encanto, but I also have my teeth on edge because his particular cadence will shine through all the time and sometimes nearly ruin a song for me entirely.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Nobody understands my annoyance with Lin-Manual Miranda. It sucks, because I like Encanto, but I also have my teeth on edge because his particular cadence will shine through all the time and sometimes nearly ruin a song for me entirely.
I'm lucky in that I've managed to somehow avoid hearing any of Hamilton, and I've only seen Moana once, so Miranda's work doesn't really register to me. My teenager, who has a fairly extensive background and deep interest in music and in language, and who also doesn't know Miranda from mayonnaise, saw Encanto and came home complaining that the lyrics often didn't fit the music phrasing very well. So I think you're onto something there, if a dataset of n=2 is anything to go by.

My current pet peeve: Our neighbors have two young dogs, maybe just over a year old, who apparently bark when exposed to fresh air. The owners built a little dog run that's right outside our bedroom and bathroom, and as soon as the dogs are outside, they are barking their dumbfuck heads off at nothing. We can hear it in every room of our house, even with all the windows closed, and even with headphones on. They're let outside (and are therefore barking) as early as 6:30 AM and as late as 1:40 AM. More than once I've been finally falling asleep when the ruckus starts up again.

That's peeve enough. But the owners are awful about it. One stands there and scrolls through his phone while they bark. The other, who I thought was better, occasionally tells them "Stop that barking!" and hustles them inside, but a few days ago I saw her go from "Stop that!" to "What are you even barking at?" as she just...watched them go nuts. WHY.

It especially sucks because we have an almost-a-year-old puppy who is immediately brought inside on the rare occasion that she does bark, and I know our neighbor on the other side knows we have a dog, and I would be horrified to find out that they think she's the one making all that noise. I have to wait till it's warmer and the neighbors are outside (without their dogs) to remind them that they don't live on a farm and to please shut their dogs the gently caress up.

Bonus peeve: The dogs have stupid names. One is black and brown and is named Mocha. The other is white with a little brown and is named...Java. :confused: "Latte" was right there!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Or "Capp" :3:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lin-Manuel Miranda. His songs are loving poo poo

:hmmyes:

I feel so fortunate to not remember any of the songs from Hamilton.

edit:

Hirayuki posted:

Bonus peeve: The dogs have stupid names. One is black and brown and is named Mocha. The other is white with a little brown and is named...Java. :confused: "Latte" was right there!

My bonus peeve is that you don't have pictures of either of the dogs.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

:hmmyes:
I feel so fortunate to not remember any of the songs from Hamilton.

Just think of a middle-aged person rapping in an old fashioned way and you have it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hirayuki posted:

I'm lucky in that I've managed to somehow avoid hearing any of Hamilton, and I've only seen Moana once, so Miranda's work doesn't really register to me. My teenager, who has a fairly extensive background and deep interest in music and in language, and who also doesn't know Miranda from mayonnaise, saw Encanto and came home complaining that the lyrics often didn't fit the music phrasing very well. So I think you're onto something there, if a dataset of n=2 is anything to go by.

This is defnitely it, by the way. I can't tell how much of it is just "this works if you sing it exactly like Miranda would" or if it's just stylistically what they're going for, the tension between the syllabic stresses and the lyrical content. Which sounds great if you're a talented rapper, but Miranda's flow doesn't work for me at alllllllll

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

lobsterminator posted:

Just think of a middle-aged person rapping in an old fashioned way and you have it.

My name's Alex H and I'm here to say:
I love chattel slavery and cheating and terrible rhymes in a major way!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'll try to get one, if I can avoid looking like a creep hanging out my bathroom window getting reference photos for the doggie hitman. Can I tide you over with a picture of my own pup?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I should be grateful, because COVID retirements got rid of most of the people in my life who do this, but the sheer number of old men at my work who just don't answer emails is infuriating. My email was two sentences long. It requires a one word answer. Waiting for that response is completely dead-ending my project. No, I will not drive an hour round trip to ask you in person. gently caress you, answer your email you geriatric piece of poo poo!

And the same ones have the balls to complain about too many meetings! We wouldn't have to have meetings at all if you just did the bare minimum to communicate!

I hate emails about worthless poo poo too but I'm trying to meet the standards of a federal code that bears more liability than your team's entire combined payroll and it's coming straight out of your stupid loving budget if and when we get audited.

Maybe I need therapy?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Hirayuki posted:

I'll try to get one, if I can avoid looking like a creep hanging out my bathroom window getting reference photos for the doggie hitman. Can I tide you over with a picture of my own pup?

Yes! What a cutie :allears:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I, too, like dog

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Riatsala posted:

I should be grateful, because COVID retirements got rid of most of the people in my life who do this, but the sheer number of old men at my work who just don't answer emails is infuriating. My email was two sentences long. It requires a one word answer. Waiting for that response is completely dead-ending my project. No, I will not drive an hour round trip to ask you in person. gently caress you, answer your email you geriatric piece of poo poo!

And the same ones have the balls to complain about too many meetings! We wouldn't have to have meetings at all if you just did the bare minimum to communicate!

I hate emails about worthless poo poo too but I'm trying to meet the standards of a federal code that bears more liability than your team's entire combined payroll and it's coming straight out of your stupid loving budget if and when we get audited.

Maybe I need therapy?

You need to leverage the power of email one, email two, and then daily phone calls until they give in and reply. The number of times my first email gets answered after I leave a voice mail is astounding. We never even speak, they just know I won't go away until I get what I want.

I call people unannounced, I am people's pet peeve.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Is Hamilton not universally celebrated anymore?? I feel like for like two thirds of a decade I've heard nonstop praise for Hamilton and suddenly I'm seeing people quite annoyed by it and/or Lin-Manuel Miranda? Not just here; elsewhere also.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The backlash started years ago.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I think when it was released for streaming is when I saw the tide change. No longer could only people willing and able to attend a Broadway musical claim it was worthwhile, now any ol fucker could check it out and be unimpressed

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

credburn posted:

Is Hamilton not universally celebrated anymore?? I feel like for like two thirds of a decade I've heard nonstop praise for Hamilton and suddenly I'm seeing people quite annoyed by it and/or Lin-Manuel Miranda? Not just here; elsewhere also.

Henchman of Santa posted:

The backlash started years ago.

It's not as much backlash as it is regular-lash, just from other people -- "backlash" would imply that people who liked it decided that it was bad, and that doesn't seem to be what happened here.

Brawnfire posted:

I think when it was released for streaming is when I saw the tide change. No longer could only people willing and able to attend a Broadway musical claim it was worthwhile, now any ol fucker could check it out and be unimpressed

Yeah, my mom and I watched it, and our collective reaction was basically like "uh...huh. :geno: "

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

credburn posted:

I think at least some part of LMM's public good will was propped up by his tendency to gesture vaguely at popular notions of social justice during the Trump years when his primarily white, liberal fans were clamoring for any sense of normalcy.

Now that Biden is in and everything is okay again for everyone I think his unavoidable mainstream saturation is getting on people's nerves.

This is not to discount those who've criticized him from the moment Hamilton got any attention, but I think that played a role.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That's not how I would describe the term "backlash" but I guess it's neither here nor there. Hamilton is now the symbol of Obama-era liberalism and terrible rapping for people who otherwise do not listen to hip hop, and LMM is way overexposed. He was good on Curb and that main song from Moana bangs though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
To echo a lot of others, the best numbers in the show by far are from King George III and I do not think that was the intention. Especially given he's the one character that belts out pure show tunes without any bad raps.

e: and now I convinced myself to listen to King George for lunch

they say
the price of my war's not a price of my war's not a price that they're willing to pay
insane
you cheat with the french now i'm fighting with france and with spain
i'm so blue :(

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 19:57 on Mar 15, 2022

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Only part of Hamilton I've heard is the part about his balls.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Kid's shows have way too many of this joke:

"Hey, it's time for X!"
"Oh goody I love X! X is the greatest!!!

[a beat]

Uhh, what's X again?"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You don’t mess with the classics

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Kid's shows have way too many of this joke:

"Hey, it's time for X!"
"Oh goody I love X! X is the greatest!!!

[a beat]

Uhh, what's X again?"

they do that one fist pumping "oh boy" gesture too much too

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Brawnfire posted:

People do LMM style songs now and it's pretty annoying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZyJSUo3MI4

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's not how I would describe the term "backlash" but I guess it's neither here nor there. Hamilton is now the symbol of Obama-era liberalism and terrible rapping for people who otherwise do not listen to hip hop, and LMM is way overexposed. He was good on Curb and that main song from Moana bangs though.

I liked LMM's role on His Dark Materials where he picks a bar fight and an entire town beats the poo poo out of him.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My interest in that show suddenly skyrockets

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Fungus gnats and mall florists. I was given a pretty plant as thanks for catsitting, which I appreciate.
But the loving thing is just infested with them, and even with it in quarantine in the bathroom I've found and killed a dozen or so gnats around my apartment.

I've given a couple of them to the spider living in my windowsill, but I should probably just move it over and hope it sets up camp on the plant.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

All right, here they are, having finished one fit of barking and about to start the next one:

Not pictured: their owner, standing just inside the ajar garage door like a gotdam lump.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I know I've had nearly this exaxt peeve before but gently caress it: next time I see some random twitter post about gleefully blowing up random russian kids complete with corpses I'm going to lose it.

We've literally emptied our bank accounts to get my 17yo cousin the gently caress out of Russia and to here to avoid conscription. Random russian kids are in fact people, the RF has universal conscription, gently caress off with wanking to corpses and destruction

That abandoned vehicle with a corpse by it was abandoned because a bunch of kids poo poo their pants under fire and fled to surrender to the nearest member of the UKA John Deere Battalion. They didn't want to be there, they were lied to, they deserved better, and you'd be extremely mad if that was dead chinese or american or british or etc etc etc etc getting mocked for being poorly trained, underequipped, and scared in a bullshit war.

e: bonus second repeat peeve- my mother just called and left a voicemail and gently caress that poo poo, i have other things to attend to, she knows this, please for god's sake send a text. A minutes-long voicemail removes me from real poo poo I need to deal with with my own loving family-of-choice. Send a goddam text explaining if you're just checking in or if you have cancer. I know you're capable maman, I have seen you send texts complete with boomer rear end emojis. I haven't listened to one of your voicemails in years and you know this. A one-second glance and if something serious is happening I'll call, but nope, voicemails.

I know I sound like an rear end in a top hat but gently caress's sake, she knows I'm engaged to a flight attendant whose country is currently in a poo poo war started by a tyrant and spends half the week away from home. And half the time the past month my wife comes in with loving streaked makeup sobbing. I don't give a poo poo about anything but hugging her, cooking, and finding something fun to stream. My mother knows this. Just gently caress. I want to throw my phone out the window.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 01:14 on Mar 19, 2022

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The woman at the liquor store and I have always had a flirty kind of interaction. She is very pretty and friendly.
Today I found out she's an anti-vaxxer and supported the recent truck protests.
So yeah, that sucks.

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

and you'd be extremely mad if that was dead chinese or american or british or etc etc etc etc getting mocked for being poorly trained, underequipped, and scared in a bullshit war.

you dont know me, maaaaaan

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
In movies when guns make clickety-clack sounds any time somebody touches them or even just moves while holding them.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

You never realize how often you use your non-dominant arm until you sprain that elbow.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
When you ask someone a binary question and they hilariously answer "Yes." Or they say "why not both" because I guess it's a loving meme? In either case, I have to ask the question a second loving time, you know, once everyone has finished applauding.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

credburn posted:

When you ask someone a binary question and they hilariously answer "Yes." Or they say "why not both" because I guess it's a loving meme? In either case, I have to ask the question a second loving time, you know, once everyone has finished applauding.
Maybe it's in how you're asking.

Also, yeah, properly saying "yes" on an "inclusive or" question is incredibly satisfying, but it's possible that it's been cargo culted by now. The "¿por que no los dos?" girl is like 22 years old now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
No, no, I too have had to get boomers to answer a basic health questionare.

Yeh I still have 25 of these to do Gary, it wasn't funny in 1976 and it isn't funny now.