Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cross posting from the trailer thread:

thrawn527 posted:

https://youtu.be/m9EX0f6V11Y

Looks like a lot of fun!

But timing is funny, because I’m actually getting some Turning Red vibes, at least from the first half of the trailer, but they obviously would have been produced at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

They stole my spec script about a Chris Kyle superfan who gets amazing sniper powers.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Cross posting from the trailer thread:
I think the timing probably has to do more about there being more freedom around telling authentic female experiences. Even stuff like Never Have I Ever which is on paper a stock will-they-won't-they teen dramedy feels much more real than what we're used to.

I think it looks good, although I think people are going to be frustrated about the power switch. I don't mind it, really. They have Mr. Fantastic coming in and stretchy powers don't have a great track record. She also is in a weird little bit where in the comics, she's basically a mutant in name only, and Marvel is probably going to struggle a bit to differentiate when they get into mutants the question around why mutants are hated and feared, but not other superheroes.

EDIT: To be clear, I'd rather her be the stretchy hero than Reed. A teenage brown girl shapeshifter has a lot going on metaphorically while like his name, Richards' powers feel like they were more or less picked from a hat

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 15, 2022

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Have stretchy powers ever looked good in live action CGI? Don’t get me wrong I’m in agreement with many of you about this being kind of a bummer but...I do feel stretchy powers are hard to make look good and cool.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

Have stretchy powers ever looked good in live action CGI? Don’t get me wrong I’m in agreement with many of you about this being kind of a bummer but...I do feel stretchy powers are hard to make look good and cool.

Ehhh last attempt at stretchy powers would have been the half-finished F4 movie from 2015, last real attempt would'be been F4 2 which was 10 years before that. I think "it's hard to make look cool" becomes less of an excuse when Disney/the MCU is ostensibly supposed to be setting the standard in most people's minds.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I agree, you gotta have someone with real style and imagination to pull off stretchy power shenanigans.

Like Plastic Man.

I want a Plastic Man movie.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Stretchy powers,mind powers(whether controlling peoples minds or throwing objects) always suck

I was going to say fire effects but ghost rider 2 had amazing fire effects (terribleness of the movie aside)

Any effect that turns into a bendy plasticine monstrosity

https://youtu.be/rSAst-SK2fI

https://youtu.be/ZGsQ8PSVw_g

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 15, 2022

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I assumed the power switch was done for purely financial reasons, because the CGI required for the original ones would be way, way beyond the scope of a D+ show, or even an MCU movie, all of which generally have cheap-looking CGI. And yeah, getting stretchy powers right would also require a level of artistry beyond anything we've seen from the MCU.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I agree, you gotta have someone with real style and imagination to pull off stretchy power shenanigans.

Like Plastic Man.

I want a Plastic Man movie.

SAME

I think there's a lot of fresh and funny poo poo you can do with the character that can set it apart from the formulaic superhero template we've been fed for a while. Make it a comedy and cast the lead as someone who leans into the celebrity of having super powers.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Anyone remember Skin from Generation X?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
We lost our chance at a great Plastic Man movie when Bruce Campbell hit 50.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Inkspot posted:

We lost our chance at a great Plastic Man movie when Bruce Campbell hit 50.

Probably not a popular opinion but I can picture something like what Jim Carrey did in The Mask only more grounded. Have Plastic Man go on talk shows and have his own reality show and poo poo. Big time Twitter and You Tube channels. Just reveling in his celebrity, his long dick, counting mad stacks of cash, banging chicks left and right and maybe he just accidentally becomes a superhero.

Booster Gold stuff with some Judd Apatow levels of juvenile humor coupled with some strange body horror and whacky effects. Directed by David Cronenburg.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Glenn Howerton in full debauchery mode would work.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

BiggerBoat posted:

Probably not a popular opinion but I can picture something like what Jim Carrey did in The Mask only more grounded.

1990s Jim Carrey's face was practically rubber - it's hard to imagine him not owning that role.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the Ms. Incredible train sequence from Incredibles 2 is pretty dope. Obviously being animated helps, but I think stretchy stuff has to be really kinetic to work. It can't be an actor awkwardly standing there while his arms are CGed.

The Wachowskis probably would have done a good job even if their script was bananas.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think the timing probably has to do more about there being more freedom around telling authentic female experiences. Even stuff like Never Have I Ever which is on paper a stock will-they-won't-they teen dramedy feels much more real than what we're used to.

I think it looks good, although I think people are going to be frustrated about the power switch. I don't mind it, really. They have Mr. Fantastic coming in and stretchy powers don't have a great track record. She also is in a weird little bit where in the comics, she's basically a mutant in name only, and Marvel is probably going to struggle a bit to differentiate when they get into mutants the question around why mutants are hated and feared, but not other superheroes.

EDIT: To be clear, I'd rather her be the stretchy hero than Reed. A teenage brown girl shapeshifter has a lot going on metaphorically while like his name, Richards' powers feel like they were more or less picked from a hat

The one I always remember for the Fantastic 4 is they're using the classical Greek elements. It's more obvious in Marvel 1602 where the explanation is just flat out given, but the idea is that Richards' body stretches and flows like water comapred to other elastic heroes, Sue turns invisible flies and creates force fields as a sort of air control deal, Ben of course is made of rock and Johnny is made of fire. Doom is either metal or aether in turn.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Timeless Appeal posted:

The mutant thing I feel actually makes more sense when you think about it; Whatever you feel about Iron Man or Captain America, unless you live in a sitcom you have a pretty low chance of your kid building their own power armour or taking drugs that make them a super-soldier. They have a context behind them and they are unique, they aren't mass-produced. (usually) Thus they are judged as individuals.

Mutants on the other hand specifically can be anyone, from anywhere. Mutants were specifically made so they could fill out a cast without having to come up with origin stories for each character, and so you have the specific wild-card that a random kid anywhere in the world can manifest terrifying powers, and they have something in common- the X-gene.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Feels like, in the MCU at least, the question of registering has already been asked and answered with the accords. I don't really want them to visit that narrative again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lord_Magmar posted:

The one I always remember for the Fantastic 4 is they're using the classical Greek elements. It's more obvious in Marvel 1602 where the explanation is just flat out given, but the idea is that Richards' body stretches and flows like water comapred to other elastic heroes, Sue turns invisible flies and creates force fields as a sort of air control deal, Ben of course is made of rock and Johnny is made of fire. Doom is either metal or aether in turn.

The fifth element of Greek proto-science is the quintessence. And that's how Doom thinks of himself - the most perfect embodiment of Man.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The mutant thing I feel actually makes more sense when you think about it; Whatever you feel about Iron Man or Captain America, unless you live in a sitcom you have a pretty low chance of your kid building their own power armour or taking drugs that make them a super-soldier. They have a context behind them and they are unique, they aren't mass-produced. (usually) Thus they are judged as individuals.

Mutants on the other hand specifically can be anyone, from anywhere. Mutants were specifically made so they could fill out a cast without having to come up with origin stories for each character, and so you have the specific wild-card that a random kid anywhere in the world can manifest terrifying powers, and they have something in common- the X-gene.
I meant more specifically with Ms. Marvel, her comics origin is very tangled up with Marvel basically trying to replace Mutants with Not-Mutants, and failing tremendously. So, if you go with her comics origin, it's kind of indistinguishable from Mutants which makes her a bit trickier.

I think overall with the Snap, the events of Wandavision, and what we saw with Spider-Man, the MCU is actually pretty set up for people to freak the gently caress out about mutants and without benevolent autocrat Tony Stark, make a bunch of giant robots to try to kill them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah it’s an entirely different thing. Cap and Iron Man are “great man”. They’re people who became heroes under extraordinary circumstances. There’s a wider array of people like Ant Man and Spider Man who became heroes more by chance but even still they’re individuals in a vast population of billions.

The thing with mutants (or what they did with Inhumans to try and replace mutants) is that’s it’s the randomness, volume, and equality that scares people. I’d anyone can be a mutant that means ANYONE. It means your neighbor. Your kid. That crazy religious weirdo. That minority you hate and fear. There’s no special hurdle required like Cap or unique set of happenstance like Spidey. It’s just anyone and it’s happening frequently enough that it could be anyone. And that triggers paranoia and fears that already exist in people. And in a world where everyone’s basic understanding of reality has dramatically changed in 10-20 years and half the population just got snapped out of and back into existence there’s gonna be a lot of fear.

The mutant bigotry metaphor has always been loosely applied to different groups because bigotry has always been in play and is always stoking someone’s fears of change and threat to their personal sense of the way the world is supposed to be. So there should be no problem applying it to the MCU. No one there solved bigotry.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Timeless Appeal posted:

I meant more specifically with Ms. Marvel, her comics origin is very tangled up with Marvel basically trying to replace Mutants with Not-Mutants, and failing tremendously. So, if you go with her comics origin, it's kind of indistinguishable from Mutants which makes her a bit trickier.

I think overall with the Snap, the events of Wandavision, and what we saw with Spider-Man, the MCU is actually pretty set up for people to freak the gently caress out about mutants and without benevolent autocrat Tony Stark, make a bunch of giant robots to try to kill them.

That's actually a great way to make sentinels make more sense, like they should show a committee meeting of whatever company/govt. creates them and like "uh will people like this as much as they liked Iron Man? uuhh make them BIGGER because there's A LOT of mutants and uuhh, Thanos was really strong he was PURPLE right? Good yes make them pink and purple"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah it’s a perfect environment for some psycho to try and become the next Tony Stark and capitalize on the good will people have for Iron Man. Trask even kinda looks like a made up name to trick people into seeing Stark or something.

I imagine Armor Wars and Ironheart will both go into that kind of stuff and I wouldn’t be shocked to see Trask introduced ahead of time there.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The Wachowskis were developing a Plastic Man movie with Keanu some time before The Matrix. It had a strong environmentalist message and there was a scene where Plastic Man had a crisis when he discovered his piss and poo poo were also made of plastic, lol.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Splint Chesthair posted:

The Wachowskis were developing a Plastic Man movie with Keanu some time before The Matrix. It had a strong environmentalist message and there was a scene where Plastic Man had a crisis when he discovered his piss and poo poo were also made of plastic, lol.

holy poo poo that owns lol

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I’m gonna be a bit of an outlier here and say I don’t think I would have liked to watch Keanu Reeves pass pieces of plastic through his dick and rear end in a top hat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I’m gonna be a bit of an outlier here and say I don’t think I would have liked to watch Keanu Reeves pass pieces of plastic through his dick and rear end in a top hat.

Weirdo

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

thrawn527 posted:

Ah, I see the problem. You don't get to see it happen, but you do get his existential horror over the results. The best of both worlds, if you will.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah it’s an entirely different thing. Cap and Iron Man are “great man”. They’re people who became heroes under extraordinary circumstances. There’s a wider array of people like Ant Man and Spider Man who became heroes more by chance but even still they’re individuals in a vast population of billions.

The thing with mutants (or what they did with Inhumans to try and replace mutants) is that’s it’s the randomness, volume, and equality that scares people. I’d anyone can be a mutant that means ANYONE. It means your neighbor. Your kid. That crazy religious weirdo. That minority you hate and fear. There’s no special hurdle required like Cap or unique set of happenstance like Spidey. It’s just anyone and it’s happening frequently enough that it could be anyone. And that triggers paranoia and fears that already exist in people. And in a world where everyone’s basic understanding of reality has dramatically changed in 10-20 years and half the population just got snapped out of and back into existence there’s gonna be a lot of fear.

The mutant bigotry metaphor has always been loosely applied to different groups because bigotry has always been in play and is always stoking someone’s fears of change and threat to their personal sense of the way the world is supposed to be. So there should be no problem applying it to the MCU. No one there solved bigotry.

I get the mutant/bigotry metaphor but I always felt it was a little forced/off. Suppose somebody came into your workplace armed with a flamethrower. Would your potential concern about that person make you bigoted against them? I think not.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Everyone posted:

I get the mutant/bigotry metaphor but I always felt it was a little forced/off. Suppose somebody came into your workplace armed with a flamethrower. Would your potential concern about that person make you bigoted against them? I think not.

bigots essentially already treat black folks and other minorities as though they have flamethrowers

e: lol nm i looked at your rap sheet

grieving for Gandalf fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 16, 2022

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just watched No Way Home and I’m kinda confused why Strange would have even agreed to do the magic spell in the first place. His attitude seems completely different from the Strange we know in the MCU. I guess I don’t have a question about it cause it was just done for the story but it just felt really out of place that he’d be so reckless and careless.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just watched No Way Home and I’m kinda confused why Strange would have even agreed to do the magic spell in the first place. His attitude seems completely different from the Strange we know in the MCU. I guess I don’t have a question about it cause it was just done for the story but it just felt really out of place that he’d be so reckless and careless.
It also sets up Multiverse of Madness.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
To be fair it's a really easy spell that would have worked perfectly if Parker just shut the gently caress up, and his motivation was in not having a well meaning kid have his life destroyed. Especially one that died trying to save half of all life, kid was owed something karmically speaking.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Everyone posted:

If someone walks into your office carrying a gun you have a right to be scared. The problem is that person chose to pick up a gun. A mutant doesn’t choose to have lasers shoot out of their eyes or their touch send someone into a coma. It happens to them and their victims. And while they could be threats anyone can be a threat. So while one might find logic in the idea of powers being a weapon and that weapon having to be registered it ignores the human concern that many mutants never choose their weapons and can’t choose to put them down. And registration is only the tamest of concerns and the worse segregation, internment, imprisonment, and violence are all part of the equation.

And that’s why the metaphor can apply loosely to so many causes. Because whether it’s slavery and white supremacy, Japanese internment, homophobic laws, McCarthyism, or the Holocaust it’s a problem that turns into abuse when societies allow fear and anger to overwhelm empathy and understanding.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
The metaphor applies so loosely because it's lazy. By that measure, women who feel physically unsafe around strange men are engaging in bigotry.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Mulva posted:

To be fair it's a really easy spell that would have worked perfectly if Parker just shut the gently caress up, and his motivation was in not having a well meaning kid have his life destroyed. Especially one that died trying to save half of all life, kid was owed something karmically speaking.

Yeah but he just carelessly rushed into doing it, which seems opposite to how he behaved in the other MCU movies. In the other movies he seemed to be more grounded and “think about the repercussions you are playing with a fire you can’t control” type of person. Even if he agreed to do the spell in the other films I feel like he wouldn’t have just started waving his hands and doing the spell on a whim.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah but he just carelessly rushed into doing it, which seems opposite to how he behaved in the other MCU movies. In the other movies he seemed to be more grounded and “think about the repercussions you are playing with a fire you can’t control” type of person. Even if he agreed to do the spell in the other films I feel like he wouldn’t have just started waving his hands and doing the spell on a whim.

Didn’t he, like, just steal the Time Stone and start loving around with it without asking anyone in his first movie? Granted, he didn’t know just how powerful it was. But that’s even more to the point. He was messing with powers he knew nothing about, consequences be damned.

Granted, it’s been a while since I’ve watched that movie, so I might be remembering something wrong. But that’s how I remember it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Didn’t he, like, just steal the Time Stone and start loving around with it without asking anyone in his first movie? Granted, he didn’t know just how powerful it was. But that’s even more to the point. He was messing with powers he knew nothing about, consequences be damned.

Granted, it’s been a while since I’ve watched that movie, so I might be remembering something wrong. But that’s how I remember it.

You're not misremembering, but that's early in the movie and is precisely the sort of thing he learned not to do by the end. Becoming more responsible as he came to understand the potential consequences for his arrogance is his character arc in the movie.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Peter not shutting the gently caress up and strange not just telling him to leave the room were stupid yeah,but not as stupid as norman getting that extremely telegraphed dark souls backstab in and then it literally did nothing lol.

Also i wish the 4 villains hadn’t have gone wild,i would have liked to have them hanging around but obviously the movie was full enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

grieving for Gandalf posted:

bigots essentially already treat black folks and other minorities as though they have flamethrowers

But those black folks don't have the flamethrowers. So the bigots' fear/hate is unreasonable and thus bigotry. Being afraid of somebody who can look at you and set your bones on fire seems... kind of reasonable.

STAC Goat posted:

If someone walks into your office carrying a gun you have a right to be scared. The problem is that person chose to pick up a gun. A mutant doesn’t choose to have lasers shoot out of their eyes or their touch send someone into a coma. It happens to them and their victims. And while they could be threats anyone can be a threat. So while one might find logic in the idea of powers being a weapon and that weapon having to be registered it ignores the human concern that many mutants never choose their weapons and can’t choose to put them down. And registration is only the tamest of concerns and the worse segregation, internment, imprisonment, and violence are all part of the equation.

And that’s why the metaphor can apply loosely to so many causes. Because whether it’s slavery and white supremacy, Japanese internment, homophobic laws, McCarthyism, or the Holocaust it’s a problem that turns into abuse when societies allow fear and anger to overwhelm empathy and understanding.

But you can understand why potential "victims" would be concerned about getting zapped by laser eyes or put into a coma and how that concern is different from somebody calling the cops on (or just shooting) a black person for... walking through their neighborhood. I don't know. Mutant "bigotry" seems like it dilutes real bigotry.