Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of possibly overrated manga though, has anyone read I Am A Hero? Because it has like a billion chapters and the mangadex page claims it won a bunch of awards, but my gut feeling from the description makes it sound like the manga version of an Oscar bait movie and those usually suck. I don't even know if that's a trend in the industry but whatever. I'll get to it eventually anyway purely on the back of it being a billion chapters and fairly highly rated, but I'm curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I haven't read it myself, but a friend did (who is also a big movie buff) and he loved it

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Larry Parrish posted:

Speaking of possibly overrated manga though, has anyone read I Am A Hero? Because it has like a billion chapters and the mangadex page claims it won a bunch of awards, but my gut feeling from the description makes it sound like the manga version of an Oscar bait movie and those usually suck. I don't even know if that's a trend in the industry but whatever. I'll get to it eventually anyway purely on the back of it being a billion chapters and fairly highly rated, but I'm curious.
kengo hanazawa's first series, ressentiment, was where he made a name for himself and it's shorter, so maybe start there to see if you vibe with his worldview

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

When I read it a few years back from start to finish, it was something of a draining experience but in a good way? The MC is basically a guy falling on hard times with his manga work and when The poo poo happens, he has an opportunity to at least try to help people after things start to go wrong, even if all it amounts to is buying some people extra time because of how dire the circumstances are. I've not read anything else the author's done, but I think it's pretty good. It's also pretty violent, though, so maybe don't read it while you're eating unless you don't mind that.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't usually read violent stuff but I'm cool with it, it's just not my go-to. I'll give it a whack after this other story about a random manga artist. something about that premise makes me laugh, maybe because there's not very many movies about movies. but there are a hell of a lot of books about writers.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

:rip:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Coaaab posted:

kengo hanazawa's first series, ressentiment, was where he made a name for himself and it's shorter, so maybe start there to see if you vibe with his worldview
I really loved I Am A Hero for the majority of its run but felt it fell apart super hard in certain spots and especially closer to the end. Ressentiment on the other hand is just really good pretty much throughout. Boys on the Run was also really solid for most of its run but again has some pretty questionable plot points that drag it down.

One of my favorite parts of I am a Hero is how it portrayed the outbreak and the "mechanics" of the infection as the story progressed. While it (vague spoilers for later on) never really explained much of what or how the infection began, just surmising possible origins and never exploring them, I did like it doing that because why would some random survivors find convenient tell-all answers for why everything went down like it did?

It's a pretty draining series at times and not all the arcs are particularly good, but when it hits, boy does it.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Larry Parrish posted:

I really liked it

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

I liked it, but by the end I was pretty 'done' with it. Although full disclaimer I was reading it while it was still ongoing and the scans would take ages between chapters by the end so that was definitely a factor. I think the whole final act sucks but I liked everything up until it.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I liked it, but by the end I was pretty 'done' with it. I think the whole final act sucks but I liked everything up until it.

The Resident Evil VII of manga.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

i don't even remember if i read all of "i am a hero" or not. i remember it being compelling but idk if i'd call what i do remember a good read.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:mood:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/PowerfulHag/status/1503409052365197315?t=EQsjSVLHVFVq2PhlaEaY7g&s=19

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/LukewarmHoliday/status/1503480045658165252

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

INU-OH finally has a Japanese release date. It's coming May 28, and presumably the western release will be in fall or winter

https://twitter.com/app_pia/status/1503506262650023936?s=20&t=I0hpWwdnCxrD4YrXh70aoA

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I dropped off of I Am A Hero when the narrative focus shifted to another group and then kind of got lost.

It was also kind of icky (yet true to life) how the channels came up with Zomslur as a catch-all and also affected my enjoyment at the time.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2phDLWZ5uMY

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Drunk, but it's a failure of the internet that Rurouni Kenshin - Vast - Touched Otaku-Vengeance-lordrae-Kenshin has never been updated to higher resolution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj9WrsyBcQ8

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm reading House with the Little Orange Roof which is great but the authors vague bible references in the afterwords are really funny since whatever quote has been fed through like 6 translators. It makes me laugh every time. It kind of reads like cheap fortune cookie stuff. Like, something I've heard before but phrased super weirdly.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
elden ring trip report: who the gently caress taught this wolf magic this is bullshit

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zetsubou-san posted:

elden ring trip report: who the gently caress taught this wolf magic this is bullshit

Idk what you expected when you went to the Hogwarts level bro

marumaru
May 20, 2013

man speaking of hogwarts i really hope the hogwarts game is good. i doubt it will be, given the state of the AAA games industry, but it would be nice

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i hope it is bad :twisted:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Engaging with the Wizarding World in any way at this point is at worst a tacit endorsement of Rowling's views and at best a mark of apathy towards the damage she's causing, so who cares if it's good or not.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What if I buy it for less than £20 six months after release?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
However a Strixhaven game... That could be cool.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i wouldn't go that far

but yes it would be cool to see the IP collapse

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there are cool games in that kind of vein already so i dont need a good harry potter game

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Engaging with the Wizarding World in any way at this point is at worst a tacit endorsement of Rowling's views and at best a mark of apathy towards the damage she's causing, so who cares if it's good or not.

Sakurazuka posted:

What if I buy it for less than £20 six months after release?

...buy?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you goign to a pirate bay and touching the smelliest thing there thats youre problem

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

What, like, any way? Is it bad to reread the original novels? Is it bad to discuss the original novels? Is it bad to think about them in the privacy of my own head? Or do you mean something closer to "buying Rowling's works or engaging with her modern ones"?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

Pussy

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think it's as simple as "engage with this massive multimedia franchise in any way and you hate trans people" but it's definitely worth considering that Joanne is going to receive direct royalties from the game while actively spouting her TERF garbage

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I don't think watching/playing Harry Potter stuff means you nessisarily endorse Rowling. However, it does mean you have bad taste.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Its also hosed up you wont support hatsune miku

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Elephant Parade posted:

What, like, any way? Is it bad to reread the original novels? Is it bad to discuss the original novels? Is it bad to think about them in the privacy of my own head? Or do you mean something closer to "buying Rowling's works or engaging with her modern ones"?

Yeah, I mean more supporting any products in the here and now. It's perfectly fine to still have a place for the books or movies in your heart if you enjoyed them as a kid.

Basically, just because you liked it as a kid doesn't mean you gotta buy the new stuff.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 15, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Death of the author exists to let people detach the author from the personal ineffable meaning they derived from those works. Personally though I wish there was a better magic school of adventure IP so I wouldn't have to think about them; preferably in anime form that I could glom onto instead (no sadly LWA didn't quite for it for me).

I never really liked how House Slytherin was written coming from Dragonlance and the Black Robe wizards who are like similar conceptually but so much better and more nuanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Arist posted:

I don't think it's as simple as "engage with this massive multimedia franchise in any way and you hate trans people" but it's definitely worth considering that Joanne is going to receive direct royalties from the game while actively spouting her TERF garbage

she's not gonna get a cent from me lmao