Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

We do blocks of positions as well but the amount of time we spend on each depends on how well everyone's picking everything up and how much content our coach wants to put into each position. Then we'll usually do a week on transitioning from that position to the next one or defending against it and start the next block. If we've reached a bit of a dead end or someone has a burning question than we might do something completely different at the end of the block, it's not really set in stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

We have 1-2 week blocks that flow into each other. Our last 6 weeks have been open guard -> passing open guard -> submissions that arise from passing open guard. We'll cycle through it again later but next time it might be half guard -> passing half guard -> submissions that arise from *those* passes.

I think ideally we'd do longer and more detailed blocks, but we aren't a big enough school to have many beginner or advanced classes, most classes are mixed.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Im not even going to attempt to try a nogi spider guard. I remember my professor at my old gym showing some nogi spider stuff and to be honest, I believe its bullshit. Its the grip on the wrist I have a problem with.

stramit posted:

How do your gyms focus training? Mine does blocks of positions, so it’s like 1/2 guard for 4/6 weeks with the first 2-3 focussing on the position and defence and the second 2-3 weeks on attacks. Seems to work really well do drill in the fundamentals of the positions but the downside is that it takes a long while to really learn them all.

1 week of training, 1 week of review and concentration during sparring on those moves. Lately its been sit up guard (5 options), open guard variations (8 variations), and some closed guard over the past couple months. This week, all spider guard.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Im not even going to attempt to try a nogi spider guard. I remember my professor at my old gym showing some nogi spider stuff and to be honest, I believe its bullshit. Its the grip on the wrist I have a problem with.

Oh yeah, what I was describing won't work in no-gi (or if they use no-gi grips on the legs even in the gi a la the Mendes brothers, which is very powerful but not widely used AFAICT). It requires using their grip on your pants as an anchor.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
No gi spider guard is grabbing inside the other guy's gloves in MMA and not getting called on it because you're Japanese.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I sometimes get a no-gi spider hook while i’m in the middle of a transition or escape or trying to shoot a triangle. It works, but not for very long. I don’t think I would try both sides at once

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I went to a seminar with Jake MacKenzie today. It was a lot of fun and he showed stuff that was very different from what I usually do. So that was cool to see and get inspired by.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

That's awesome. Jake is one of the best-kept secrets in the BJJ world and a super cool guy in general. Highly suggest both attending his seminars and also hanging out with him off the mat if anyone gets the chance; guy has been all over the place and has a ton of stories from it.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

My old training partner won EBI 19 last night! That's loving dope as we all have been telling Alan he was a future EBI champ since he was a blue belt. So awesome to see it come to fruition. Glad EBI is back too.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
there was an ebi on? wish i had of known so i could watch it. for all his stupidity eddie bravo made one of the most watchable jiujitsu competitions in existence.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Give me quintet or give me death.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

FiestaDePantalones posted:

It's the only thing my regular friends can even stand. "Can little person survive big person?" Is compelling. Or can the little person create an upset, etc etc. The size differences add a lot of obvious narrative.

I'd watch EBI tho.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Quintet is by far the most entertaining grappling format for spectators yeah. With EBI I find myself struggling to stay focused on it for the full card.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Love Quintet! Polaris Teams has been pretty good too. Just need more big names to compete. A east coast vs west coast Polaris teams style format would be pretty cool IMO

heeebrew posted:

My old training partner won EBI 19 last night! That's loving dope as we all have been telling Alan he was a future EBI champ since he was a blue belt. So awesome to see it come to fruition. Glad EBI is back too.

Thats pretty sweet. I love seeing my training partners win, makes me better too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

duckdealer posted:

Quintet is by far the most entertaining grappling format for spectators yeah. With EBI I find myself struggling to stay focused on it for the full card.

EBI is extremely good when the participants are going for the sub hard and the tiebreakers are just a backstop. It's extremely boring when the competitors are planning for the tiebreaker rounds.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

CommonShore posted:

EBI is extremely good when the participants are going for the sub hard and the tiebreakers are just a backstop. It's extremely boring when the competitors are planning for the tiebreaker rounds.

True!

After all, every ruleset has its weaknesses (except Quintet!)

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Quintet is the best. It's the only sort of grappling I can watch for enjoyment.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Count Roland posted:

Quintet is the best. It's the only sort of grappling I can watch for enjoyment.

Yeah. I wish more people were using its rules etc.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

FiestaDePantalones posted:

This. EBI ruleset sucks.

Hate to say it but point ruleset is very underrated.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

My gym requires that you train in the gi in order to attend their rank review if you want to try to get siq belt upgrayeddz. I don't really care much about the belts, I'm just having fun with the sport.

I attend gi glasses on two mornings and no gi classes on two nights. I've been showing up to the no gi a little early and they have a kick boxing class before that with some sparring that looks fun. Several of the people in my no gi class train in the kick boxing class and then go straight into no gi.

I haven't talked to my coaches yet but I'm thinking about swapping out the morning gi classes for the kick boxing classes. Justification being that kick boxing might be more fun than gi and it'd free up a couple mornings.

The only drawback in my mind is that the no gi class is taught by a purple belt (sometimes a black belt comes in) and the gi classes are taught by a black belt. I worry that maybe the no gi classes may not be as technically correct but I'm just a 3 stripe white belt.

Other than that and two less days focused on bjj in the week, are there other drawbacks I might be missing?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Just try it and see if it's more fun. I wouldn't worry too much about doing the cost benefit analysis here when the worst case is you stop going to the kickboxing class and start doing gi classes again.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

L0cke17 posted:

Just try it and see if it's more fun. I wouldn't worry too much about doing the cost benefit analysis here when the worst case is you stop going to the kickboxing class and start doing gi classes again.

Fair assessment for sure. I'd considered that angle because the gym is structured such that you show up to whatever classes you like based on how many sessions you pay for (I'm obviously doing 4).

Only fomo issue I have is going to rank review every few months. I really enjoy those events. Not for the belts but because students from the three gyms get together and it's like mini seminar combined with a reunion but it's gi only. I guess I'd be afraid of rolling like a goof if I only put the gi on once every 3-4 months.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

knuthgrush posted:

The only drawback in my mind is that the no gi class is taught by a purple belt (sometimes a black belt comes in) and the gi classes are taught by a black belt. I worry that maybe the no gi classes may not be as technically correct but I'm just a 3 stripe white belt.

The difference in instruction between a purple and a black belt will be minor or non-existent for a white belt. So long as the purple is teaching techniques they themselves use you'll be fine.

And just because you're a black belt doesn't make you a good teacher either. I'll take a purple who is good at teaching over a competitive black who isn't.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

knuthgrush posted:

Only fomo issue I have is going to rank review every few months. I really enjoy those events. Not for the belts but because students from the three gyms get together and it's like mini seminar combined with a reunion but it's gi only. I guess I'd be afraid of rolling like a goof if I only put the gi on once every 3-4 months.

You're learning the same jiu jitsu, whether you wear pajamas or shorts. You won't fall behind your gi friends, in fact you'll probably seriously outpace them if you're training with MMA psychos.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I don't think I've ever seen anyone wrestle that different in Gi v no-gi. Even top level competitors, you see most people cross over with limited variation in results.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Had a roll with a guy who started at the gym at about the same time as me last night who I have not rolled with in a few months. He's been coming pretty intermittently while i've been reliably hitting 3-4 classes a week with lots of rolling. He used to be able to easily get the better of me but last night I managed to submit him 3x in a 5 minute round. This isn't to put him down just to say it's nice to have a benchmark to show that i'm improving :)

.... did notice that he's signed up to 4 classes this week and next now :)

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Usually in randori I'm facing someone old (like me) and relatively strong (like me) or someone younger but weaker. Last night I went up against a young and strong guy and boy howdy lol

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai
The European IBJJF Championships was in February. I didn't attend since our gym was closed due to escalated Covid situation. I am already planning for another comp in near future. But anyway, as I was almost going to to IBJJF comp, I had to register as an BJJ athlete at the official site. This was a horrible experience and remains too difficult for me. Has anyone experienced these problems? Do you just register just like that and how quickly is the application approved?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Pyle posted:

The European IBJJF Championships was in February. I didn't attend since our gym was closed due to escalated Covid situation. I am already planning for another comp in near future. But anyway, as I was almost going to to IBJJF comp, I had to register as an BJJ athlete at the official site. This was a horrible experience and remains too difficult for me. Has anyone experienced these problems? Do you just register just like that and how quickly is the application approved?

Register for an IBJJF account membership, and then register for the event. Registering for the event will require you to be approved to compete through your instructor. Your instructor will need to approve your belt level.

The application is approved pretty quick. Is this to compete? I would HIGHLY suggest registering a least a month before an event. For example I am doing World Masters again in Sept and will be registering probably at the beginning of July if possible.

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Register for an IBJJF account membership, and then register for the event. Registering for the event will require you to be approved to compete through your instructor.

This was the most fun part. We are part of a huge international team. My instructor in official IBJJF page is quite far from me. My application and rank was approved by this guy, that I've never even met: Leo Vieira. Is this the normal procedure?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

You paid money to the IBJJF so sounds like the procedure worked exactly as intended.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I just picked up a pair of these slides for the gym. I hope it sends a clear message to my rolling partners:

Was hoping to get the purple tie dye ones but they were out. 10th planet should do a collab with ripndip. It's right up their alley.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Pyle posted:

This was the most fun part. We are part of a huge international team. My instructor in official IBJJF page is quite far from me. My application and rank was approved by this guy, that I've never even met: Leo Vieira. Is this the normal procedure?

It is. I saw Leo Veira over the weekend at the LA Open. I think he heads Alliance if I recall correctly. He is more than capable of signing off for you. Leo Veira is a bit of a legend in the sport.

edit: Looks like I was wrong, Checkmat :P

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 21, 2022

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The belly down ankle lock as taught by Reilly Bodycomb in Top Rock 1 has got to be one of the biggest cheat code subs in grappling. Hit like 5 of them tonight. The big key to not getting screwed when going for it is to never let the ankle go if you are extended out and they aren’t tapping otherwise your back gets taken, better to unwind the position and get back to top position while still keeping the ankle lock grip

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Pron on VHS posted:

The belly down ankle lock as taught by Reilly Bodycomb in Top Rock 1 has got to be one of the biggest cheat code subs in grappling. Hit like 5 of them tonight. The big key to not getting screwed when going for it is to never let the ankle go if you are extended out and they aren’t tapping otherwise your back gets taken, better to unwind the position and get back to top position while still keeping the ankle lock grip

I like Dean Listers way of finishing the ankle lock. Rather than using the wrist on the achilles (which mostly inflicts pain) he goes about mid forearm, and then going belly down. I never go belly down without crossing the leg over.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Had a really good drills and sparring class yesterday - Got a few first time achievements.
* Managed to catch my first d’arce choke on someone. Had them it tight side control and loosened up a little to get them to turn towards me and threw the arm in. Felt great not just because of hitting the choke but because I tricked them into moving how I wanted them too!
* Managed to catch my first omopolata. It was not super transition into the position but it worked
* I'm decently athletic and managed to get a good dominant top position on one of the older less athletic purple belts and maintain it for a lot of the roll, every time I was about to lose the position I would move to another top position or switch my hips and similar. Wasn't able to get anywhere near submitting him but it was nice to work on transitions and similar. I'm guessing he was letting me work a little bit - but it still felt like he wasn't just giving me the positions without having to keep the work intensity up.

One thing i'm learning is that I need to actually be more aggressive to get top position. I'm too passive and often end up on bottom which sucks.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

stramit posted:

Felt great not just because of hitting the choke but because I tricked them into moving how I wanted them too!

:sickos:

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

stramit posted:

Had a really good drills and sparring class yesterday - Got a few first time achievements.
* Managed to catch my first d’arce choke on someone. Had them it tight side control and loosened up a little to get them to turn towards me and threw the arm in. Felt great not just because of hitting the choke but because I tricked them into moving how I wanted them too!
* Managed to catch my first omopolata. It was not super transition into the position but it worked
* I'm decently athletic and managed to get a good dominant top position on one of the older less athletic purple belts and maintain it for a lot of the roll, every time I was about to lose the position I would move to another top position or switch my hips and similar. Wasn't able to get anywhere near submitting him but it was nice to work on transitions and similar. I'm guessing he was letting me work a little bit - but it still felt like he wasn't just giving me the positions without having to keep the work intensity up.

One thing i'm learning is that I need to actually be more aggressive to get top position. I'm too passive and often end up on bottom which sucks.

Good stuff here! I love these kinda reports!

Keep throwing that omoplata and it'll get more smooth. I've been working on it when I can and it seems to get better each time.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

stramit posted:

All of this stuff is great, but the bolded part is maybe the coolest--transitioning smoothly between top positions at will is something that takes most people a long time to learn, in my experience, and it also turns the bottom person into a veritable buffet of submissions if you keep your eyes open. That's awesome.

I'm still on the recovery train and don't have much to brag about myself, but a white belt at my gym who's one of the oldest and smallest guys there told me the other day that he managed to finish a cross-collar variation from bottom half that I showed him a few weeks ago. :sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Look forward to my next post where I complain about getting knee ridden for 7x5 minute rounds and complain about how difficult this sport is.