Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
didn't they do M&Ms with the magic M on them once when there was an Innistrad set release around halloween?

e: honestly, missed opportunity not to have done edible food tokens at Eldraine pre-release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jesus lol it is so obvious that this is going to ruffle some feathers why even bother doing it lol. Like weigh the payoff of it going right vs the controversy if it goes wrong and it’s not even close.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Entropic posted:

didn't they do M&Ms with the magic M on them once when there was an Innistrad set release around halloween?

e: honestly, missed opportunity not to have done edible food tokens at Eldraine pre-release.

FNM&Ms i thought?
Yes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

Jesus lol it is so obvious that this is going to ruffle some feathers why even bother doing it lol. Like weigh the payoff of it going right vs the controversy if it goes wrong and it’s not even close.

Just finding out who's a narc before the launch party.
You have to knock on your LGS door and say a password. Just be careful. I hear the DCI is cracking down on illegal tournament materials left and right.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Paper FNM / pre-releases are still pretty much dead around here anyway.

Actually I have no idea whether our one big local LGS is doing them again now, but I'm not going back to spend 5 hours in a literal basement with a crowd of people right now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Silhouette posted:

I dunno which is more tone-deaf; the "fake drugs and booze 4 for kidz!" or the fact that they're promoting handing out unwrapped edible treats during a pandemic

Remember the pandemic is over according to the political and business classes. Everything’s safe now! Snort halo from your pod’s noses!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

You have to knock on your LGS door and say a password. Just be careful. I hear the DCI is cracking down on illegal tournament materials left and right.

Okay who ordered the bathtub Fetch Lands???

Jiro fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 15, 2022

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

During Crimson Vow one of the LGSes had "blood wine" served at the prerelease. Don't think that was WPN approved though.

This whole drug thing when there's probably kids involved in pre-releases/FNM is kinda weird though.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

During Crimson Vow one of the LGSes had "blood wine" served at the prerelease. Don't think that was WPN approved though.

This whole drug thing when there's probably kids involved in pre-releases/FNM is kinda weird though.

Pish Posh, it's just Original Coca-Cola with the actual cocaine still in the recipe like the good ol days!

Kickstarter servers must be getting absolutely slammed.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 15, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jiro posted:

Kickstarter servers must be getting absolutely slammed.
I've been trying to back it every few minutes since it launched and haven't been able to complete my backing at all, yeah

you would think when an upcoming project has 14,000+ people watching it before it launches you'd prepare a little bit for the stampede of people trying to back immediately

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 15, 2022

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
About how many percentage points is drugging your opponent at the prerelease worth

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I've been trying to back it every few minutes since it launched and haven't been able to complete my backing at all, yeah

you would think when an upcoming project has 14,000+ people watching it before it launches you'd prepare a little bit for the stampede of people trying to back immediately

FYI apparently you can only order one of the LE version that has Prof's signature. The other Academic you can order multiples of.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

You joke, but my flgs cannot run a tournament where there is a limited portion and a constructed portion in the same tournament (sort of like a worlds championship) because wiz does not allow that with the tournament software and its expressly forbidden to do so.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Still waiting for the reveal that this thing is an elaborate troll

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jiro posted:

FYI apparently you can only order one of the LE version that has Prof's signature. The other Academic you can order multiples of.
I know that, but I could not pledge at all, period, and finally got a normal pledge through when the project was at like a quarter million despite being there when it went live.

all the early birds are gone now and basically nobody is happy since a ton of people tried to back it for those and KS's shitbox site couldn't handle it and almost nobody had their backing processed. prof should probably just change it to a kickstarter exclusive signed version rather than a limited run thing at this point, so people can choose between the special and regular editions at will.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Kickstarter desperately needs a queue system. I tried from literally the second it started to the moment they were all sold out and I never even had a shot.

Still got the standard box because at the end of the day it's just a signature stamp, but drat.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
When FNM was on Valentine's Day one year, our LGS had table 1-5 set up like a dinner date, and the owner came by to pour blue mountain dew into our champagne flutes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Entropic posted:

Paper FNM / pre-releases are still pretty much dead around here anyway.
look who doesn't know the password...

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

When FNM was on Valentine's Day one year, our LGS had table 1-5 set up like a dinner date, and the owner came by to pour blue mountain dew into our champagne flutes.

Pretty hosed up your LGS wanted you to get Diabetus.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

lmao

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Honestly I'm pretty leery about any promotional event that involves more non bottled liquids on the same table with magic cards

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

A big flaming stink posted:

Honestly I'm pretty leery about any promotional event that involves more non bottled liquids on the same table with magic cards

how do you feel about open flames?

maybe you should try packing a bowl with halo instead

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

sit on my Facebook posted:

Still waiting for the reveal that this thing is an elaborate troll

"No depictions of alcohol allowed in this Prohibition-era-themed event" is a pretty good bit.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
At the time of posting the professor's deck box has raised $796,015.
800k seems like a lot for a deckbox, lmao. Their goal wa sonly 50k.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I figured it would do well but Jesus. A Boulder is like nine bucks and available now!!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
For tournament deck , the sidewinder was already the best deck you could buy and I don’t know how it could be improved at all. Is there something about this deck box that makes it amazing for commander?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sickening posted:

For tournament deck , the sidewinder was already the best deck you could buy and I don’t know how it could be improved at all. Is there something about this deck box that makes it amazing for commander?

Honestly it's probably too big for a tournament setting, but if you need to carry two decks or an EDH one I can't think of a better one, based on the features they crammed into it.
But is it 45 dollars better?
That's a personal call.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I just throw my cards in a wet paper sack

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Thick rubber band around my unsleeved necropotence deck just like the old days.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Sickening posted:

It's got room for a lot of tokens and dice and such, with special touches to make things more convenient. The little magnetic sides on the token drawers so they can be pulled out more easily was my favorite part.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AngryBooch posted:

Thick rubber band around my unsleeved necropotence deck just like the old days.

Nah, Everyone had those indestructible clear sleeves with the jesters hat on the box. You are an imposter!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sickening posted:

Nah, Everyone had those indestructible clear sleeves with the jesters hat on the box. You are an imposter!

I just sleeved a commander deck in my 20+ year old joker sleeves

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I just throw my cards in a wet paper sack

if you donate 800,000 dollars to my kickstarter i can hook you up with a dry one

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

I still have some boxes sealed somewhere. I found green and black ones for sale a while ago. The black ones were okay, but you don't remember how slippery they were when they were brand new. Quality control wasn't what it is now, so there's little bumps sometimes, a couple of sleeves aren't cut right, etc. The green ones are super warped, they're basically only useable for tokens and other stuff I'll never shuffle; but they're a later model of those sleeves.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

HootTheOwl posted:

At the time of posting the professor's deck box has raised $796,015.
800k seems like a lot for a deckbox, lmao. Their goal wa sonly 50k.

900k now. Honestly, good for him, why not.

I like the banner on his landing image that says "Funded in 17 minutes!". Great great call not announcing the stretch goals to start so they can move those goal posts.

That press-release is hilarious imo. And the notion makes enough sense. "Enjoy this theme that swaps out drugs for candy, but try to keep it relatively kid friendly" is the same kind of thing you get with kids playing pirates. Or that whole musical, Bugsy Malone where a bunch of kids are mafia members who throw pie to off one another. Could have been worded better, but ah well. Amusing to read as is.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 16, 2022

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What is the point of having a thing in your deck box that holds dice, you're not just bringing your deckbox to the tournament/store/whatever right? Just put your dice in a thing in your bag. Topic locked.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Sickening posted:

Last month I was putting my old Ice Age cards in a binder and I felt the distinct imprints on the backside of my 3 Scaled Wurm left by the sand and small rocks from playing unsleeved directly on the school yard blacktop.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Johnny Truant posted:

I just sleeved a commander deck in my 20+ year old joker sleeves

I still have a red and a black set of those sleeves kicking around here.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

little munchkin posted:

if you donate 800,000 dollars to my kickstarter i can hook you up with a dry one

No dice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
When I was a kid my dad and neighbor collab'd to make me a briefcase with nice custom lacquered wood deck holders mounted to one side. It held 4x Dragon Skin boxes which held 75 sleeved cards each and still had the perfect amount of room to fit my trade binder. I usually had 2-3 decks and the 4th slot had a giant spin-down D20 and a Spree tin full of glass beads.