Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

C-Euro posted:

People seem to love Phoenix Wright but the series never jumped out at me. If you had to recommend one of these to a Phoenix Wright skeptic/newcomer, which would you recommend?

The trilogy. It's the first 3 games and is great. It also introduces most of the running characters. Just find a walkthrough and treat it like a book and see how that goes if you aren't digging the game play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’d recommend the AA Trilogy starting with the first game. That’s still my favorite one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Really you could do well starting with the trilogy and then going straight to The Great Ace Attorney.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Really enjoyed the AA trilogy when I played it on steam so I picked up the rest of the AA games right away. I know they can be played on mobile but I don't really enjoy playing games on my phone. I've made some decent progress on Layton and the Curious Village on my phone but it'd probably be easier to play on a ds/3ds.

Also, Denpa Men 1 has been pretty fun. It's very basic but it's enjoyable for a simple rpg and making up your own little team.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I haven't heard anything about the online going down for the 3DS MHs.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
There is an overarching storyline through the series (minus the great ace attorney spinoff pair of games) so starting with the trilogy is ideal. The rest of the games are good too, and worth playing through if you end up enjoying them

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Alxprit posted:

I haven't heard anything about the online going down for the 3DS MHs.

I give it another year or 2 at most after the eshop goes dark.

Hopefully it gets people playing Kid Icarus online again since that was good and I want play it again.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

flatluigi posted:

There is an overarching storyline through the series (minus the great ace attorney spinoff pair of games) so starting with the trilogy is ideal. The rest of the games are good too, and worth playing through if you end up enjoying them
Honestly I'd largely say that 1-3 and 4-6 are two mostly unconnected trilogies, with 4-6 having a few legacy characters. Like up until Spirit of Justice I feel like the games just kind of... forgot about most of 1-3.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
This first case in Apollo Justice is something else.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Commander Keene posted:

Honestly I'd largely say that 1-3 and 4-6 are two mostly unconnected trilogies, with 4-6 having a few legacy characters. Like up until Spirit of Justice I feel like the games just kind of... forgot about most of 1-3.

i'd disagree fairly heavily; apollo justice is a lot about phoenix's legacy and how he got there -- he's not the main character anymore, but it's definitely built a lot on him and where he's at in a way that's hard to understand if you never played the original games

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

:shrug: I don't want to really go into things in a thread where we have people considering getting into the series for the first time, but imo if you need an entry point into the series that for some reason isn't the Trilogy, my recommendations would be, in this order, Great Ace Attorney and Apollo Justice, because they have the least connections to previous games, at least on the surface.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Commander Keene posted:

:shrug: I don't want to really go into things in a thread where we have people considering getting into the series for the first time, but imo if you need an entry point into the series that for some reason isn't the Trilogy, my recommendations would be, in this order, Great Ace Attorney and Apollo Justice, because they have the least connections to previous games, at least on the surface.

Aside from what flatluigi has already said, Apollo Justice is easily the weakest game in the series. Some of the cases just. Go. On.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, that's also a very good reason to start with the first games -- I still like apollo justice but going from that to dual destinies is definitely a one-two punch of the weakest games in the series. they still have some real good parts IMO and they're worth getting through to get to spirit of justice, though

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

I didn't know there was an Apollo Justice port for the 3ds.

The upscaled/retraced art also looks a lot better than in the remastered AA 1–3 trilogy. I'd say it might even be an improvement over the DS original, unlike the trilogy.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Nah imo you can skip Apollo justice, dual destinies, or spirit of justice unless you're a diehard. I legit forgot dual destinies and spirit of justice were separate entries altogether

No franchise/set of characters can go that long without everything getting stupider/more bloated with each sequel. And most of the baddies or plot twists or prosecutors are straight up garbage after the og trilogy. Especially when the og trilogy already has some real goofy set ups/premises.

I vote original trilogy and great ace attorney duology after, then go from there to see if you want to try out the weaker entries

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 15, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
How easy is it to transfer your 3DS data from one SD card to another? I just realized that I "only" have a 32 GB card in my OG XL, I'm hoping that I will have the restraint not to fill it up before the eShop closes but maybe someday I will take the plunge into hacking my system, and might need the extra space there...

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

C-Euro posted:

How easy is it to transfer your 3DS data from one SD card to another? I just realized that I "only" have a 32 GB card in my OG XL, I'm hoping that I will have the restraint not to fill it up before the eShop closes but maybe someday I will take the plunge into hacking my system, and might need the extra space there...

It's super easy, you literally just drag and drop on a PC. I usually take the opportunity to make a backup just in case.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
apollo justice is fun and has great characters, just play it lol

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

RichterIX posted:

It's super easy, you literally just drag and drop on a PC. I usually take the opportunity to make a backup just in case.

Oh so there's no DRM or whatever on the card once it's been configured to store and read 3DS data, neat.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hace posted:

apollo justice is fun and has great characters, just play it lol

It's good but it shouldn't be the first game in the series you play.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah. I don't think any of the games in the series are bad, but Apollo Justice and the two 3DS games with Phoenix Wright aren't as good as the Trilogy and Great Ace Attorney. Hot drat, GAA was great.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's good but it shouldn't be the first game in the series you play.

oh sure, im just lolling at "apollo justice is ONLY for series diehards"

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I'm a series die hard. There's a very good chance that somebody will walk away from the franchise entirely if apollo justice is their first game.

Phoenix sucks, the plot twists and reveals around the main protagonists feel awkward and poorly thought out, the prosecutor is straight up your bestie for the rest of the game after 1 case, and the cases/defendants/guilty baddies themselves are lame.

Apollo himself was cool and they had a chance to really make this entry the next evolution or whatever but they hosed him over by putting him in the worst ace attorney game ever made.

See: the whiplash from going right back to the usual format in dual destinies

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
How was the Edgeworth game?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Phoenix is cool in Apollo it’s in the next two games that he sucks imo

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

WHY BONER NOW posted:

First one was okay overall, has some pretty cool and inventive characters, suffers from an overly long last case and kinda lovely end villain. The second game is arguably one of the best Ace Attorney games in the series, and luckily the fan translation is also arguably one of the highest quality fan translations in the history of fan translations, so it's a perfect marriage.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

KingSlime posted:

I'm a series die hard. There's a very good chance that somebody will walk away from the franchise entirely if apollo justice is their first game.

Phoenix sucks, the plot twists and reveals around the main protagonists feel awkward and poorly thought out, the prosecutor is straight up your bestie for the rest of the game after 1 case, and the cases/defendants/guilty baddies themselves are lame.

Apollo himself was cool and they had a chance to really make this entry the next evolution or whatever but they hosed him over by putting him in the worst ace attorney game ever made.

See: the whiplash from going right back to the usual format in dual destinies

im just saying its a good game and you shouldnt avoid it like the plague

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

hatty posted:

I wouldn't necessarily say he sucks in DD and SoJ, but it is a jarring character reversion for him to go back to being the Scrappy Underdog getting through every trial by the seat of his pants and the skin of his teeth in DD after seeing him as the Smooth Operator Mastermind in AJ.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I thought the first one was okay. A step up from apollo Justice storywise but the new mechanics + lack of courtroom scenes weren't superior to the og trilogy imo

I have the second one on my phone translated via a DS emu, haven't gotten around to playing it but I have heard excellent things. Supposed to be much better than the first one and overall I liked the first one enough to warrant playing this one

Currently working my way through the great Ace attorney duology though, still on the first one but it is starting out just as strong as the OG trilogy did

E: as far as phoenix in AA his justifications and actions especially late game felt asinine/ incoherent but maybe I was just bored and not paying enough attention

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 15, 2022

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

hatty posted:

I liked him in DD but he should have had a way smaller role in SoJ i agree yea

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I did enjoy that in AJ, they went for this plot twist in the very first case (SPOILERS!) the defense is the murderer lmao

I'm just waiting for them to go with the judge is the murderer. No one tell me if this happens in great ace attorney cuz if it does I'm gonna flip my poo poo in a good way!!

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
I kind of enjoyed how batshit the first case was in Apollo. I really enjoyed the trilogy when it arrived on steam, but that first case in Apollo was enjoyable from start to finish for me. Maybe I'll change my mind as the game goes on.

Random question: is it worth getting a protective outer shell/case thing for the 3ds? How about silicone plugs?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Question regarding the Virtual Console on Wii-U...if I've got the games I want purchased and downloaded/installed, am I going to lose access to those? Or just lose the ability to purchase them?

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

chaosapiant posted:

Question regarding the Virtual Console on Wii-U...if I've got the games I want purchased and downloaded/installed, am I going to lose access to those? Or just lose the ability to purchase them?

You'll still have access to all games purchased & downloaded. You can re-download games you've already bought.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Palmtree Panic posted:

You'll still have access to all games purchased & downloaded. You can re-download games you've already bought.

All good news then! I've purchased and downloaded all Zelda titles for the Wii-U Virtual Console just to have them on a home console that doesn't require a subscription. Also, it's pretty cool that Minish Cap is on there!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you can't remember what made parts of Apollo Justice so bad (well relatively, it's still an okay game overall and worth a play if you like the others), I can remind you with one sentence;

"Let's watch that video again!"

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I can understand wanting to milk it, I was always stoked to see FMV on the DS at the time - it's like when they repeat every witness transformation animation in almost every game so you can fully appreciate the budget

HenryEx posted:

[Investigations 2] is arguably one of the best Ace Attorney games in the series, and luckily the fan translation is also arguably one of the highest quality fan translations in the history of fan translations, so it's a perfect marriage.
:hai:

Ruffian Price fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 16, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ruffian Price posted:

I can understand wanting to milk it, I was always stoked to see FMV on the DS at the time - it's like when they repeat every witness transformation animation in almost every game so you can fully appreciate the budget

:hai:

Oh agreed, I fully understand why they'd want to get the most out of it (and it's legit impressive for a DS game), but they do overuse it just a tad.

Also as for transformation animations, Dual Destinies is worth it just to watch ~~~Aristotle Means~~~ breakdown.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Palmtree Panic posted:

That's nice to hear. I bought Affordable Space Adventures but don't really have anyone to play it with here :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've been thinking about that capcom sale on the 3ds eshop. It seems, to me, that capcom has it right. Slash prices on things that will never be available again and try to get some $$$ before you can't any more.

Pity that Nintendo is too greedy to do the same thing. There really is no reason not to, at this point. Why not sell SM3dL or MK7 for $10? Or less. The same goes for pretty much anything on that eshop.