Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

pre-funk for that show by watching black rain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95-bc1DZovg

I'm doing the campaign for Tokyo Vice in UK and DE and I used Black Rain as a show comp.

Also Giri/Haji, Gangs of London, Gomorrah, The Wire

Tone similars are True Crime: Chernobyl, Fear City, Unbelievable, When They See Us, Shogun, Rising Sun, Boiling Point, Clear and Present Danger, Blackhat, Mare of Eastown, LA Confidential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
a fake book written by an egomaniac, with a side of "starring a sex creep"

a double whammy of avoid this

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
lmao

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im all for liars and swindlers but when you invent a woman to get killed off in your "journalistic" book as a plot point I find that a bit creepy

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

can you tell me more about this fakeness?

the whole show is fiction

quote:

Tokyo Vice is a fictional program inspired by real events. Certain characters, incidents and elements were fictionalized for dramatic purposes and are not intended to reflect on an actual person, history, entity or incident. 

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sirotan posted:

The show is set in the 1990s, and what the gently caress does this even mean?

OP is saying the show looks racist for leaning on cliches/tropes for tales about Asian countries/cultures.

The Chris Rock/Rush Hour reference is pretty off the mark though imo.

kiimo posted:

can you tell me more about this fakeness?

the whole show is fiction

The show is based on a book by Jake Adelstein and from cursory googling turns up that the events are highly disputed and that it's more of a fake memoir than a real one even though his book is classified as non-fiction.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

filthy gaijin flubs it again

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

he has brought shame upon his house

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sounds like a ZX Spectrum game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

precision posted:

he has brought shame upon his house

i keep remembering that sean connery quote from Rising Sun where he says something like "keep your arms at your side, the japanese find excess movement of the arms threatening"

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

i keep remembering that sean connery quote from Rising Sun where he says something like "keep your arms at your side, the japanese find excess movement of the arms threatening"

TIL Sean Connery dated a Japanese woman.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Parkingtigers posted:

TIL Sean Connery dated a Japanese woman.

I think you'll find Sean Connery was actually Japanese, as covered by the documentary You Only Live Twice.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

My dumb brain immediately brought up the image of those inflatable tube character things after reading that.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FeistyGreatGalapagospenguin-mobile.mp4

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i still love that one of those things played a major role in Rectify

i should go back and see if that show was as good as i thought when i was miserable and on painkillers lmao

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"Thank you for, um well, for Kerwin. He was a good person, and he was my friend. I miss him every day." Is always going to hit like a tonne of bricks. I can't imagine it is bad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

algebra testes posted:

"Thank you for, um well, for Kerwin. He was a good person, and he was my friend. I miss him every day." Is always going to hit like a tonne of bricks. I can't imagine it is bad.

"Because I know you, Daniel"

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Rest assured that Rectify is still tremendous.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
definitely not a fan of Elgort but I like Watanabe

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

bows1 posted:

definitely not a fan of Elgort but I like Watanabe
Yeah, I didn't know much about Ken Watanabe aside from knowing him from Last Samurai/Inception/Godzilla, but I saw this recent video about him and he seems pretty nice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlW1tN34MZU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Season 6 of The Wire looks like it's shaping up nicely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tOz3dn3vuU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

Very nice. 6 episodes feels like not enough for the subject, but I'll watch a reverse-Wire.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I liked the shot where Jon Bernthal hides the gun behind his back while 3 other dudes with fully exposed guns are right behind him

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Jewmanji posted:

Man, Treat Williams has such a great screen presence. Wish he was in more things.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I feel like we're about 3-4 years from Jon Bernthal getting an Oscar nomination, and maybe 7-8 years from him winning one. And I am here for it.

Please note that this is both a praise of Jon Bernthal and a condemnation of the Oscars for not getting on the boat fast enough.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bernthal is a loving gem

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

bernthal is a loving gem

Bernthal would have been a massive movie star if he were around in the 1980s but instead we get him as a character actor which I think gives him more places to shine.

One of the first movies I saw him in was Me and Earl and the Dying Girl and he played a really ripped English teacher who did all of the usual English Teacher in a YA Movie things and he was great

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Colonel Whitey posted:

I liked the shot where Jon Bernthal hides the gun behind his back while 3 other dudes with fully exposed guns are right behind him

That's like an old school detective thing (plain clothes guys would do that when moving to arrest someone so they didn't see the gun and make them for cops) so I could see Ed Burns telling him to do that.

Also

bernthal is a loving gem

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

Bernthal would have been a massive movie star if he were around in the 1980s but instead we get him as a character actor which I think gives him more places to shine.

Yeah, it's wild, in this new one he's a dead ringer for the Tony character from The Wire, I almost did a doubletake. Except Bernthal can play a chud shithead without actually being one

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

bernthal is a loving gem

he's seriously top top tier

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, I didn't know much about Ken Watanabe aside from knowing him from Last Samurai/Inception/Godzilla, but I saw this recent video about him and he seems pretty nice:

Crouching Tiger can not be left off this list

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

kiimo posted:

Crouching Tiger can not be left off this list

You might be thinking of Chow Yun-Fat

Who does rule though.

But speaking of Crouching Tiger I am really glad Everything Everywhere All at Once is getting good reviews because while Michelle Yeoh is a fantastic actress I really don't think she's gotten her due yet since she is still a stunt woman first in most people's eyes.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm an idiot

edit: can I blame the whiskey tasting I went to yesterday

edit 2 JFC imagine if I said that in a meeting at work. Working with a whiskey hangover is dangerous loving business.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 18, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

kiimo posted:

I'm an idiot

edit: can I blame the whiskey tasting I went to

Sure. That happens.

quote:

yesterday

Never mind.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

We've all done it at one point or another, comes with the hobby of trying to remember thousands of names for people you'll never meet

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

We've all done it at one point or another, comes with the hobby of trying to remember thousands of names for people you'll never meet

hey i might meet ken watanabe some day! :mad:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Jewmanji posted:

It's so nice to see Marlo Stanfield escape his life of crime to become an upstanding member of the Baltimore Police department. God bless America :patriot: #bluelivesmatter

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Cacator posted:

It's so nice to see Marlo Stanfield escape his life of crime to become an upstanding member of the Baltimore Police department. God bless America :patriot: #bluelivesmatter

eh, he's been a cop in LA for years

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cacator posted:

Yeah, it's for a show that ended over a decade ago, but there is an implication that Marlo throws away the legitimacy that he gets, which Stringer so clearly coveted, because some no-name corner kids were talking mess about him and how awesome Omar was.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Carthag Tuek posted:

eh, he's been a cop in LA for years

Bosch was such a fun show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

edogawa rando posted:

Yeah, it's for a show that ended over a decade ago, but there is an implication that Marlo throws away the legitimacy that he gets, which Stringer so clearly coveted, because some no-name corner kids were talking mess about him and how awesome Omar was.

I saw it as Marlo hanging out and being all respectable, and hating every minute of it. The first chance he gets he finds a street corner and some kids to intimidate to get that adrenaline rush back.