Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Gorman Thomas posted:

They were originally saying their local media was reporting on Zelenksyy giving up on NATO membership, not that the media was reporting a "seige" around Kyiv.

I cited the Guardian article's insinuation and used their exact words in the reply.

Maybe i'm dealing with this level of reading comprehension:
https://twitter.com/ukraine_world/status/1503828462779383809?s=20&t=2wFAKVHSG025qtk-6MFzKg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EscapeHere
Jan 16, 2005
Ukraine has mud. Who would've thought

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1503828594866462720

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Play posted:

Yeah that's bs to me, 'only twenty minutes after going into action' lmao as if the Russians know exactly what a single person in the opposing lines is doing at any given time. Just way too convenient as propaganda.

He may be dead, I don't know, but if he is we'll know from an actual source soon enough.

It is most likely bullshit but they could have gotten him by chance by just bombarding an area he was in at the time.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

To be fair that is some brutal loving mud lol.. Look how deep that poo poo is!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

KitConstantine posted:

Looks like those crazy bastards are gonna try a landing at Odesa
https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1503844630189727750?t=Fm3EFDZGeHB-LQmdGp4x-g&s=19
A night landing. In 2 degrees C water. Interesting strategy Cotton

Time for another glorious Russian Navy Disa-I mean, Great Victory! :shepface:

I've never even heard of a winter amphibious assault

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kamrat posted:

It is most likely bullshit but they could have gotten him by chance by just bombarding an area he was in at the time.

And luckily they recovered his war diary from the body. The last two entries being,

0700 me, the greatest sniper of all time, have arrived at the battle field. Time to shootsky some russky

0720 gently caress, my bowels are spilling out

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

KitConstantine posted:

https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1503844630189727750?t=Fm3EFDZGeHB-LQmdGp4x-g&s=19

Might be someone highup saying "what has the Navy done this war special military operation" or the Navy doing ~their thing~ because they don't want to be shamed later for not doing anything.

Having your amphibious landing called out on Twitter is not a good look anyway.

Russian high command only played HoI4 and never Hoi3 therefore they were not aware of the deadly perils the marshes of Ukraine pose.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Nenonen posted:

And luckily they recovered his war diary from the body. The last two entries being,

0700 me, the greatest sniper of all time, have arrived at the battle field. Time to shootsky some russky

0720 gently caress, my bowels are spilling out

Sounds legit

EscapeHere
Jan 16, 2005

Play posted:

Oh I totally agree. I just find it funny because before this invasion started there were a lot of people saying "RUSSIA KNOW THEY HAVE MUD! THEY KNOW HOW TO MAKE TANKS THAT CAN WORK ON MUD THIS IS NOT 1941".

Apparently their tanks aren't as mudproof as they thought, or their crews have not be trained to identify how much it can handle.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Ukrainians aren't trapped in Kyiv. Russians are trapped in Ukraine.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

Battle of Attu

headspace
Apr 25, 2014

Play posted:

No biggie, just wait for the ground to freeze and bust out the tow rope. It worked for my Pontiac 6000, so surely it will work for a tank.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Akshtually, Ukraine killed the sniper to frame Russia.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I don't know what you're talking about at this point.

The powers that be in Ukraine is apparently "talking" about never joining Nato.

You posted stuff about the situation in Kyiv, as I interpreted it as a sorta "Last stand but things are looking great"

But as Zelensky might not be willing to wait for this grandstand, as a concession is preferable to the Alamo.

Ukraine is more then Kyiv.

Full disclosure: Personally anything less then Putin heading the same up-wards-down direction of Mussolini is going to be a complete disappointment but that is just me.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

To be fair, Ukrainian mudlands are their own loving biome. They're the mud equivalent of when wildfires start to make their own weather.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Nenonen posted:

Battle of Attu

Or, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_Across_the_Belts

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Has russia even made a semi serious attack on kyiv?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

mutata posted:

To be fair, Ukrainian mudlands are their own loving biome. They're the mud equivalent of when wildfires start to make their own weather.

I remember people were commenting that Ukraine did not have good natural defensive terrain because of the steppe with few mountains.

Apparently the bogs didn't get that memo

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Play posted:

Yeah that's bs to me, 'only twenty minutes after going into action' lmao as if the Russians know exactly what a single person in the opposing lines is doing at any given time. Just way too convenient as propaganda.

He may be dead, I don't know, but if he is we'll know from an actual source soon enough.

Didn't we just have a whole discussion not that long ago about how foreign volunteers have been kinda haphazardly treated and haven't really been sent into action, instead formed up into training units on rear echelon duties with the Ukrainians apparently not quite sure what to do with them? Did this Wali dude get an exemption purely due to how ~badass~ he is to get a ticket straight to a city currently under siege to do some lone wolf ghost warrior poo poo, or was he somehow integrated into Ukrainian military units to relieve Mariupol, or what?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

mutata posted:

That's just the Swedish coward wizard turning ocean into steppe.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Its always interesting how even in modern warfare the most innocuous parts of nature can still cause crippling issues.

I'm a bit confused because I would have assumed that Russia is well versed in the military consequences of vehicles getting stuck in the mud, considering the Eastern Front in WW2. Would there have been any value on their end on just waiting till summer to launch the attack?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

Time for another glorious Russian Navy Disa-I mean, Great Victory! :shepface:

An amphibious landing in winter, at night, after using an improvised mine sweeper? And the enemy knows you're coming? Great idea!

Is this some kind of treasonous attempt to kill as much Russian soldiers as possible? I mean seriously, what? :psyduck:

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Tomn posted:

Didn't we just have a whole discussion not that long ago about how foreign volunteers have been kinda haphazardly treated and haven't really been sent into action, instead formed up into training units on rear echelon duties with the Ukrainians apparently not quite sure what to do with them? Did this Wali dude get an exemption purely due to how ~badass~ he is to get a ticket straight to a city currently under siege to do some lone wolf ghost warrior poo poo, or was he somehow integrated into Ukrainian military units to relieve Mariupol, or what?

There were a couple of dudes who had already bailed from Ukraine that claimed foreign volunteers were being poorly integrated. I'm not sure their word should be taken as gospel since I think the ones seeing forward action aren't talking to that many people.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Despera posted:

I mean, they've certainly been trying but can't get particularly close far as I can tell. It's certainly not for a lack of throwing what resources they have at it.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Nenonen posted:

That's just the Swedish coward wizard turning ocean into steppe.

Now, anticipating global warming, we made the foolish dane build a bridge.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I cited the Guardian article's insinuation and used their exact words in the reply.

Maybe i'm dealing with this level of reading comprehension:
https://twitter.com/ukraine_world/status/1503828462779383809?s=20&t=2wFAKVHSG025qtk-6MFzKg

Is this all about clearing the browser cache? I first saw, Telegraph reporting it, then NRK. I googled to get a third source and Guardian popped.

Anyway rumors or bad source Ukraine president is saying "Ukraine will not join Nato"

54.4 crowns fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 15, 2022

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Play posted:

Holy gently caress! That is a crazy explosion

Looks like they put it after a big break or obstacle in the road so that it could only be triggered by a tank, not a car

Can you at least give an example of this happening? Quote someone? Anything except just 'look at all these unnamed naive dumbasses, unlike me :smuggo:'

I've read almost this entire thread and found everyone to have a pretty solid grasp of how things are going, to all indications. So I think this is some weird sniping that doesn't add anything and is something of a pattern.

Here's a hint: they actually do have an idea and don't want to say :ohdear:

The briefings are actually pretty good, if only because they have proved quite trustworthy

Personally I’m still pissed that they even bothered doing the Doolittle Raid. What were those quacks thinking?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i know nothing about army stuff but seeing this is just so odd. the concept of running a tank stuck into the ground and then just leaving it sitting there and walking away is weird to me

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

khwarezm posted:

Its always interesting how even in modern warfare the most innocuous parts of nature can still cause crippling issues.

I'm a bit confused because I would have assumed that Russia is well versed in the military consequences of vehicles getting stuck in the mud, considering the Eastern Front in WW2. Would there have been any value on their end on just waiting till summer to launch the attack?

You would think, but apparently Putin banned all the military history books about World War II and had Kadyrov and Lavrov eat them for good measure

It really is like the Russian military just...institutionally forgot how to do basic poo poo

Libluini posted:

An amphibious landing in winter, at night, after using an improvised mine sweeper? And the enemy knows you're coming? Great idea!

Is this some kind of treasonous attempt to kill as much Russian soldiers as possible? I mean seriously, what? :psyduck:

Case in point

And reportedly, without access to night vision either! :shepface:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Despera posted:

Early days saw a lot of paratroopers dropped into it who were immediately arrested and the supposed small special ops groups who tried to do a few things. That's all I can recall, though.

EscapeHere
Jan 16, 2005

khwarezm posted:

Apparently it was all going to be over in 2 weeks and Russia would be welcomed as liberators so no need to get off the main roads.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

mutata posted:

Early days saw a lot of paratroopers dropped into it who were immediately arrested and the supposed small special ops groups who tried to do a few things. That's all I can recall, though.

The best part was when the riot police arrived first, somewhere, before everyone else. Perhaps that should have been a red flag regarding the "plan"

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

My favorite boat guy follows are posting about the potential landing
https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/1503826737976819718?t=rFqUDc_io_AgO_fpKl1CPA&s=19
https://twitter.com/KaptainLOMA/status/1503835870700449796?t=AohMF0PT87KUtEGvZCHI9w&s=19
https://twitter.com/KaptainLOMA/status/1503850718582775809?t=3c2Ib_hPF_0fzrpflAL1qw&s=19
Yes I have boat guys. I got all kinds of guys.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

You would think, but apparently Putin banned all the military history books about World War II and had Kadyrov and Lavrov eat them for good measure

It really is like the Russian military just...institutionally forgot how to do basic poo poo

Case in point

And reportedly, without access to night vision either! :shepface:

Something something "those who do not learn from history"

In less than a month Russia has chiseled in stone another prime example for all of history of how corruption and ignorance utterly destroyed an empire. It would be impressive if it wasn't so horrible for Ukrainian civilians.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
:nms:
drone footage of russians stoping a car shoot a surrendeirng driver, drag his body off into a ditch and then drag the child and woman with him off into the woods.

https://twitter.com/ZDFfrontal/stat...wxpQ3KlIhy-ZGGo

from my analysis they look like they are just doing hosed up raider/bandit poo poo because war crimes are fun to them i guess and probably because half their officers are dead.

KitConstantine posted:

whos is the commander of this? stannis baratheon? jesus this is gonna be a loving horror show.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Has there been any concrete sign that they're actually going to try an amphibious landing tonight or is it just that they've been trying to sweep the area?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

the popes toes posted:

The best part was when the riot police arrived first, somewhere, before everyone else. Perhaps that should have been a red flag regarding the "plan"

though to be fair, I don't know if "exploding in an ambush with ca. 100% loss rate" counts as arriving, were there even any survivors to "technically" arrive?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Captain Fargle posted:

Has there been any concrete sign that they're actually going to try an amphibious landing tonight or is it just that they've been trying to sweep the area?

they're sweeping the area and moved close and launched some missiles.

I think someone told them to do something so they're trying to look busy.

At some point they'll get close enough for shore batteries to fire on them.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This screams of desperation to me

Someone higher-up needs a hail mary, and they decided these unlucky guys are that push

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Captain Fargle posted:

They sent landing ships with the minesweeper. It would be stupid to do that if you didn't intend to try to make a landing or give the appearance of wanting to make one. If this is all just a Russian bluff to tie down Ukrainian forces near Odessa it will be the first competent thing they've tried so far.