Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Drunk Nerds posted:

Oh jorbs beat the record?
I remember my kids were watching terrence HMS' 12th run and they were mad they had to stop watching to go to summer day camp. When I picked them up like 5 hours later they were super excited that the game was still going.

Yeah he hit 16 rotating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Just did A20 Ironclad, chose to lose 24 hp or however much, transform two cards. Transformed one strike and one defend. What'd I get? Two copies of Burning Pact.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Hey, they were not both clash

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Actually, starting act 1, that may have been preferable.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

bartlebee posted:

Just did A20 Ironclad, chose to lose 24 hp or however much, transform two cards. Transformed one strike and one defend. What'd I get? Two copies of Burning Pact.

That'd be a nice transform to get from the JAXXED event, but yeah, that's pretty rough for a whale reward.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Just had an ascension 20 Silent run that I managed to win WITHOUT snecko eye! I even boss relic swapped into Tiny House, which gave me a Bouncing Flask. I bought Twisted Funnel in a shop, Sozu as my act 1 boss relic, and then picked up Potion Belt and Tiny Ornithopter. I was just missing White Beast Statue for a bingo. Also I forgot I was on Ascension 20, so the 2nd final boss was a bit of a surprise, but Time Eater doesn't mean poo poo vs Burst+, Bouncing Flask, Catalyst+

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

A Moose posted:

Just had an ascension 20 Silent run that I managed to win WITHOUT snecko eye! I even boss relic swapped into Tiny House, which gave me a Bouncing Flask. I bought Twisted Funnel in a shop, Sozu as my act 1 boss relic, and then picked up Potion Belt and Tiny Ornithopter. I was just missing White Beast Statue for a bingo. Also I forgot I was on Ascension 20, so the 2nd final boss was a bit of a surprise, but Time Eater doesn't mean poo poo vs Burst+, Bouncing Flask, Catalyst+

Nice job!

I frequently forget about the A20 second boss.

I finally watched some jorbs and figured out why I'd taken a step back on IC. Beat A19 this morning, now I'm all set up for my next goal: A20 A20 heartkill with every class on all three platforms I own StS on.

Xbox:
IC: yes

Every other character on every platform I do not have an a20 heartkill for

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Anyone play with the Servant class mod? I've been having more fun with her than any other vanilla/downfall class hands down, which is saying a lot because I really enjoy every single class. I just streaked her A5-10 in one sitting thanks to being incredibly blessed and getting the Council of Ghosts 4 of the 5 times. For anyone who has played her, how exactly are vision decks supposed to be built? I'm pretty good with remembering enemy attack patterns but I can't really see a way to have them be the engine of the deck despite that.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
What the gently caress is up with that slaver and green slime fight that can happen on like floor four or five of act one? They attack for like 12 and 13 turn one, then again, then again, then again. I finally killed the slime turn two or three but all told it's like 70 potential damage by turn three. Totally hosed up.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'm normally extremely wary of taking more than 3 combats in early act 1. Even some of the easy pool encounters like single jaw worm can gently caress you up if you're unlucky and don't have any good cards yet.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

bartlebee posted:

What the gently caress is up with that slaver and green slime fight that can happen on like floor four or five of act one? They attack for like 12 and 13 turn one, then again, then again, then again. I finally killed the slime turn two or three but all told it's like 70 potential damage by turn three. Totally hosed up.

Hardest a1 hallway fight unless you get a bad gremlin mob/mass slime roll for sure

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Love fighting some act 2 elites with my pal, the Silent

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

lol that potion belt and ornithopter.

Thanks spire!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Hardest a1 hallway fight unless you get a bad gremlin mob/mass slime roll for sure

I always always pick an AoE attack if one is offered act 1, because almost literally any one of those will trivialize those fights, but if you don't have one they're sometimes straight up un-winnable.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

At least you can toke your upgraded alchemize.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Boom!

Got a floor 3 treasure chest with ice cream, picked and upgraded a turbo, which led me to greedily snatch up a meteor strike. Then got my second meteor strike at the boss then got Snecko eye.

Rest of the deck was just manipulating those meteor strikes and also recycling an x cost card to double my energy.

My first A20 heartkill with defect!

One new skill I developed on this run was picking cards that dont go together. I took and upgraded a hyper beam even though it utterly killed my boss win condition of playing a 40+ energy tempest. It let me torch hallway fights, then I just recycled it during the boss fights.

Wow, I feel great!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
After all the people who wander in here and complain about "archetypes" it was particularly nice to win with minimal frost orb support and one non-essential power

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cpt_Obvious posted:

lol that potion belt and ornithopter.

Thanks spire!

Baalorlord is doing an all boss swap March, and he listed his bottom 3 boss swap relics. It was Sozu, Busted Crown, and iirc Ectoplasm

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
My first a20 defect win was with a deck like that. The game even gave me calipers and 2x reinforced bodies to go with it.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

Baalorlord is doing an all boss swap March, and he listed his bottom 3 boss swap relics. It was Sozu, Busted Crown, and iirc Ectoplasm

I saw he did a tier list for boss swap earlier. I was surprised how not-low empty cage was.

Pandora's box was, of course, s-tier.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

But yeah, potions are so important for elites I'm not surprised sozu got such a low rating.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Empty Cage is really really good. In addition to the two removals and how they improve your deck, you can choose to view it as "gain 175-250 gold", depending on when you get it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

Empty Cage is really really good. In addition to the two removals and how they improve your deck, you can choose to view it as "gain 175-250 gold", depending on when you get it.

"Remove 2 cards" and "Gain 250 gold" are both options you can get from Neow with a much smaller tradeoff than losing your starting relic.

That said, it's definitely a good enough reward that it's still worth it.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

nightwisher posted:

Anyone play with the Servant class mod? I've been having more fun with her than any other vanilla/downfall class hands down, which is saying a lot because I really enjoy every single class. I just streaked her A5-10 in one sitting thanks to being incredibly blessed and getting the Council of Ghosts 4 of the 5 times. For anyone who has played her, how exactly are vision decks supposed to be built? I'm pretty good with remembering enemy attack patterns but I can't really see a way to have them be the engine of the deck despite that.

It's been a long time but I distinctly remember Servant just being all over the place. The vision cards I remember just being bad cards because even if you did activate them the fact that the effects are delayed makes them terrible to draw multiples of. You can only play so many cards that only do anything the turn after you play them, and the vision cards I remember are just not cost effective enough to be worthwhile even if they weren't delayed and you couldn't have a chance to fail them.

IIRC stacking protection was pretty broken, since it's an entire mechanic that is just having Barricade for free, and also some of the Backlash stuff that converted debuffs on you into positives were really broken as well.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Finally reached A20 with my first character and if you told me it would be Silent, I wouldn't have believed you. The patch made her so much more fun to play (got it later since I'm on Switch)

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

I had a sealed deck run where I had like 3 clashes and a sever soul in my draft so I tried to make it work. I think i made it into act 2 at Ascension 9.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

the holy poopacy posted:

"Remove 2 cards" and "Gain 250 gold" are both options you can get from Neow with a much smaller tradeoff than losing your starting relic.

That said, it's definitely a good enough reward that it's still worth it.

Iiiiiiiiii dunno about that, I think losing your starting relic is better than a curse.

6 max HP or 18 damage, that's a lot closer.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I despise boss swapping into empty cage (the only thing I might enjoy less is busted crown, even ecto/sozu are more fun for me), but I do not know infinites outside of baby's first infinite double dropkick.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

It's not even infinites that makes it good, everyone just performs better with fewer starter cards on floor 1. Lose a couple of defends on everyone except Defect and they just tear through the opening combats.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I have trouble tearing through much with a burning bloodless ironclad.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Yeah, Ironclad is my weakest character too. I can only seem to win if I get Corruption and Dead Branch and that's just boring.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

MJeff posted:

Iiiiiiiiii dunno about that, I think losing your starting relic is better than a curse.

That really depends on which class imo.

Burning blood is fantastic, but snake ring and broke orb I could see.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cpt_Obvious posted:

That really depends on which class imo.

Burning blood is fantastic, but snake ring and broke orb I could see.

what

Snake Ring is probably the best starter relic averaged out over the whole game and Broken Orb is the best one for Act 1. Its why I'm really bullish on ever doing boss swaps on Silent or Defect, they lose a lot more than Watcher or Ironclad who mostly just lose 'nice to have' perks.

Like Broken Orb lets you have, at minimum, a 16 damage 1 energy nuke with Defect! That's enormously valuable in Act 1 and isn't counting the turns it does passive damage. And most importantly lets you skip a ton of lovely Defect common attacks.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

For me starter relic act 1 strength is waaaay more important than starter relic late game strength. BB is so important act 1, snakering I generally don't get much value out of act 1.

I don't think I could seriously swap cracked orb if I was playing strictly for winrate.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 24, 2022

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

I doubt a curse is going to cost Ironclad more than 6 HP a fight, or slow down Silent more than losing 2 free draws, and those are the classes that get the biggest winrate boost from swapping.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

No Wave posted:

For me starter relic act 1 strength is waaaay more important than starter relic late game strength. BB is so important act 1, snakering I generally don't get much value out of act 1.

I don't think I could seriously swap cracked orb if I was playing strictly for winrate.

The issue with swapping out Silent's starter relic is that the starter deck is designed around it, having 12 cards instead of the 10 for other classes. The intent is that all classes shuffle their deck on turn 3, so barring card draw that's the earliest you can see a card for the second time. Without the Ring, Silent redraws two fewer cards than any other character on turn 3 and ceases to redraw cards after adding a net three cards to the deck instead of net five. That's a big downward spiral in power, especially as Silent has the least damage in the starter deck and so is more dependent on redrawing the cards it adds.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

The issue with swapping out Silent's starter relic is that the starter deck is designed around it, having 12 cards instead of the 10 for other classes. The intent is that all classes shuffle their deck on turn 3, so barring card draw that's the earliest you can see a card for the second time. Without the Ring, Silent redraws two fewer cards than any other character on turn 3 and ceases to redraw cards after adding a net three cards to the deck instead of net five. That's a big downward spiral in power, especially as Silent has the least damage in the starter deck and so is more dependent on redrawing the cards it adds.

Yeah this was well stated, it puts actual numbers behind a phenomenon I had noticed extensively (if i boss swap with silent i find myself constantly frustrated I'm not drawing the cards I add when I need them)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

In other words, Silent is deliberately gimped via having a bloated deck compared to the other characters explicitly to offset her relic while the others get direct benefit from theirs.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

In other words, Silent is deliberately gimped via having a bloated deck compared to the other characters explicitly to offset her relic while the others get direct benefit from theirs.
I see it this way:

It's a net gain on any short fight because while numerically you break even, having access to 7 cards at once is great. Every shuffle means you are disadvantaged by the extra two strike/defend an additional time while the relic only activates once, which combined with silent's defensive capabilities also makes you very good at hallway fights and you're starting at a disadvantage in most boss fights.

I don't know the silent card suites that great tho.

Here's a question: anyone have a good rundown on how to handle act 1 elites with silent? What should I prepare for each of the 3 different elites? Which are easier or more difficult to handle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I see it this way:

It's a net gain on any short fight because while numerically you break even, having access to 7 cards at once is great. Every shuffle means you are disadvantaged by the extra two strike/defend an additional time while the relic only activates once, which combined with silent's defensive capabilities also makes you very good at hallway fights and you're starting at a disadvantage in most boss fights.

I don't know the silent card suites that great tho.

Here's a question: anyone have a good rundown on how to handle act 1 elites with silent? What should I prepare for each of the 3 different elites? Which are easier or more difficult to handle?

I avoid elites in the first half of the act, I just can't deal enough damage. All three Act 1 elites scale (the fight gets more difficult as time wears on). If I decide there is a chance I could take on an elite, I make sure to get enough damage cards. Baalorlord's rule of thumb, I believe, is to be able to deal 100 damage in your first three draws.

Edit: Wait, that doesn't sound right...

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 24, 2022