Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Trent probably secretly loves all the mashups too but you could never get him to admit it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Elfface posted:

Despite the band naming themselves after him, that's Durand Uran.

Fairly sure it's Dr. Durand Durand.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Discount Dracula posted:

To go with the thread title - Wu Tang LAN ain’t nuthin to gently caress with.

Holy poo poo I have that

It came with a Wu Tang fighting game on the PS2

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHmqJRP0qiU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

mdemone posted:

Trent probably secretly loves all the mashups too but you could never get him to admit it

I've never heard him say anything good about anyone ever except for Cash.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Neil C is kinda cheating but this in many ways the baroque extreme of mashups, just throwing everything ever possible into a single track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBmoQSHfO2U

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Field Mousepad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptZhqvlbdp8
Trent's gotten a lot more mellow & diplomatic in his older age.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

He loved the Miley Cyrus covers in that Black Mirror episode, so much that he made merch for the songs on his own. Trent isn't the "angry at everyone and everything" guy anymore, he's even managed to not abuse his band members for a while now.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Field Mousepad posted:

Well he's got Grammys and Oscars.

I guess there's nothing more hosed up we can do.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

mdemone posted:

Well he's got Grammys and Oscars.

I guess there's nothing more hosed up we can do.

:golfclap:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Field Mousepad posted:

To be fair, that cover was extremely obviously better than the original for like three different reasons, which he acknowledged as you say.

It's like he wrote the song for Cash without knowing it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I don't know, man. Without further context, it's pretty sad. It's not some kind of anti-BLM or antivax thing, is it?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

This can be solved with a square and a string instead of equations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That's why she's looking around for her tools

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That's easy. Make the angle 90° and turn the cone into a cylinder.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Or a simple triple integral, ya big baby

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I assume by "lateral height," they mean what I've always heard called "slant height." If the slant height is constant, that means it's a right cone, and the slant height L is given by the pythagorean theorem as L2 = r2 + h2. Solving for r2 and plugging that into the volume equation for a cylinder, we get

V = 1/3 pi h (L2 - h2)

Since we want to maximize V given a fixed L, we'll take the derivative with respect to h.

dV/dh = 1/3 pi L2 - pi h2

To find the local maximum, we set this to zero, and solve to get

h = L/sqrt(3)

Using Pythagoras again, we can get r, if we care:

r = L * sqrt(2/3)

To get the angle from the base, we can do some trigonometry:

angle = arcsin(h/L) = arcsin (1/sqrt(3))

which is about 35 degrees.

I have no idea why the woman in the meme is thinking about 30-60-90 and 45-45-90 triangles; she must be confused.

edit: just realized the meme specifies they want the angle of the "top part," not the base. so, about 55 degrees from the vertical.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Hyperlynx posted:

I don't know, man. Without further context, it's pretty sad. It's not some kind of anti-BLM or antivax thing, is it?

I don't remember. This was posted a few years ago on a local Facebook group. During a time when there was protests and such sooooo that's not unlikely a BLM response.

I mean, but also it could be that there's just a nihilist who hates positive affirmations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

DontMockMySmock posted:

I assume by "lateral height," they mean what I've always heard called "slant height." If the slant height is constant, that means it's a right cone, and the slant height L is given by the pythagorean theorem as L2 = r2 + h2. Solving for r2 and plugging that into the volume equation for a cylinder, we get

V = 1/3 pi h (L2 - h2)

Since we want to maximize V given a fixed L, we'll take the derivative with respect to h.

dV/dh = 1/3 pi L2 - pi h2

To find the local maximum, we set this to zero, and solve to get

h = L/sqrt(3)

Using Pythagoras again, we can get r, if we care:

r = L * sqrt(2/3)

To get the angle from the base, we can do some trigonometry:

angle = arcsin(h/L) = arcsin (1/sqrt(3))

which is about 35 degrees.

I have no idea why the woman in the meme is thinking about 30-60-90 and 45-45-90 triangles; she must be confused.

edit: just realized the meme specifies they want the angle of the "top part," not the base. so, about 55 degrees from the vertical.

Thank you for your service

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Baron von Eevl posted:

Neil C is kinda cheating but this in many ways the baroque extreme of mashups, just throwing everything ever possible into a single track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ-INsq2k_o

snergle posted:

https://twitter.com/rockhall/status/1499388534083436544?cxt=HHwWgICypa_78s4pAAAA

who knew the duran duran stans were stronger then the eminem stans

What, no Sha Na Na??

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hyperlynx posted:

It's a grown-up putting up signs with generic motivational poster slogans up in their front yard. They mean well but this agressive positivity that is simultaneously so completely half-assed is just asking for a swirly.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Grendels Dad posted:

It's a grown-up putting up signs with generic motivational poster slogans up in their front yard. They mean well but this agressive positivity that is simultaneously so completely half-assed is just asking for a swirly.

Yeah gently caress that guy for not being a miserable rear end in a top hat like the rest of us, how dare he

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yeah gently caress that guy for not being a miserable rear end in a top hat like the rest of us, how dare he

This, but unironically

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

No, gently caress them for being really loving lazy about it. Like, what the gently caress are those signs? The energy put into printing those and putting them up could have been used more constructively in a hundred different ways, but this guy is probably happy with a job well done broadcasting their mediocre messages of "Hang in there'Kitty!" to people on the sidewalk.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

https://i.imgur.com/i8kIaWH.mp4

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Baron von Eevl posted:

we should see if trapezoid would come back to the forums

and the funny pic tax (which I probably got from this thread)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

No, gently caress them for being really loving lazy about it. Like, what the gently caress are those signs? The energy put into printing those and putting them up could have been used more constructively in a hundred different ways, but this guy is probably happy with a job well done broadcasting their mediocre messages of "Hang in there'Kitty!" to people on the sidewalk.

Getting some pretty strong "that leftover food on your plate could've fed starving children in Africa" vibes here

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

Getting some pretty strong "that leftover food on your plate could've fed starving children in Africa" vibes here

I'm a father of three and none of them ever finish their plates, it's internalized by now.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
my parents grew up with "starving kids in china"

now, in china:

https://twitter.com/hebeipangzai/status/1488154427689103361

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I'm just going to drop all of these tangentially-related mashups in here before the derail ends:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56Cqbk9CJz8

This owns

e,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZL9F4bJdAw

CATTASTIC has a new favorite as of 07:34 on Mar 16, 2022

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BasicLich posted:

how about we just post GWAR songs

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Grendels Dad posted:

...to the point of keying their car and slashing their tires? poo poo, dude, really?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

...to the point of keying their car and slashing their tires? poo poo, dude, really?

Nah, I forgot that part. That's going too far, but the lovely signs are fair game.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Can I get a list of approved things I can do with my time? Thanks.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The General posted:

Can I get a list of approved things I can do with my time? Thanks.

Post more funny pictures.

Like this

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

The lame sign guy didn't deserve that treatment. Now that dickhead who posts the tweets with those mylar balloons, that's a sign guy who deserves some poo poo

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

They have played us &c.

BasicLich posted:

my parents grew up with "starving kids in china"

now, in china:

https://twitter.com/hebeipangzai/status/1488154427689103361

I would do anything for Pangzai.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Kenning posted:

They have played us &c.

I would do anything for Pangzai.

he's a man with land that he works, a lovely wife and a nice family. respectfully, if you want to do something for pangzai you should do for yourself first so you can actually have something you can do for pangzai and then help the people closest to you first. pangzai will be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I was speaking rhetorically vis-a-vis the values that I feel Pangzai embodies, at least in his online presence. I will endeavor to uphold the scientific truth of tornado beer and the flaming liquor of Pangzai Thought.