Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

bobjr posted:

Is the mimic tear ash that good? I have enough HP to use it and recover it all right after, but I think I've heard that one is one of the best ashes.

I can cleanly divide my gaming experience in two distinct halves: before and after I got the mimic tear. Before it I was having to fight bosses repeatedly, learn the patterns, eventually wear them down. After I got that ash, and pumping it to max just makes it even more ridiculous, I've been killing bosses first attempt and not learning the patterns because the only pattern that matters is "boss will usually attack the most recent thing that hit it." So I wait for it to turn toward the summon, and jump attack them in the rear end. I'm usually reticent about tossing around terms like "broken" for an overtuned ability, but that summon effectively removes the need to learn many of the fights. Whether or not that was intended I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Sockser posted:

Placidusax needs a fuckin Stake of Marika

Running back through these rocks sucks
I am frequently missing the first jump and dying
and then dealing with an elevator ride

This sucks

God drat
This is very very high on my list of "least favorite bosses"

His fuckin poof into smoke and reappear are
awful
especially his meteor dive which is 1000% worse than Radahn's

e:
+10 mimic tear and infinite kamehameha ain't even getting me through it

Sockser fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 16, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

even carefully curating my mimic tear’s loadout has never resulted in them productively doing damage to any boss i’ve summoned them for but just the sheer amount of punishment they can take still means they’re the most useful ash summon i’ve encountered

mine only did marginally less damage than me per-hit or weapon art. being a bully distraction was it's main utility, but it consistently last-hit bosses while I'd be rolling away to recover to safely take a last-hit. Mimic also effectively double my bleed-build up, if we both power-attack combo'd same time it was a free bleed everytime.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Yardbomb posted:

There's a couple like this and just, why put this mechanic in if you're gonna exclude it from some of the most annoying runbacks. Thank christ Fringefolk Hero's Grave didn't.
Gelmir hero's grave. I was overleveled by 70 levels and still teared that boss because I was not risking another runback.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it is admittedly pretty funny that they introduced a mechanic that's explicitly a "here you go, you can just try the boss again with no waiting :)" thing and then didn't use it for probably 75-80% of the bosses in the game

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Maybe I'm just lucky, but my mimic spams the poo poo out of Hoarfrost Stomp and Holy Stomp.

It almost singlehandedly took down the bug queen, the crystal ladies, and that one mimic giant underground.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
you should try not dying to the boss imo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the one time it made sense was for commander Niall, you could sprint to boss but it would often aggro a knight who might backstab or kill you as you exit fog door, so it was better to fight it which helped you deal with the ones in real fight.

Other places felt like weird omissions.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cowcaster posted:

even carefully curating my mimic tear’s loadout has never resulted in them productively doing damage to any boss i’ve summoned them for but just the sheer amount of punishment they can take still means they’re the most useful ash summon i’ve encountered

I've seen a few people say the mimic tear sucks or doesn't do much damage and I gotta say, I never had that issue. Mine absolutely would buff its right hand weapon and just stomp the boss with me.

Sockser posted:

God drat
This is very very high on my list of "least favorite bosses"

His fuckin poof into smoke and reappear are
awful
especially his meteor dive which is 1000% worse than Radahn's

I had no trouble with the dive, but the fact that he'd always nothing personal me drove me nuts trying to just find him.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

the one time it made sense was for commander Niall, you could sprint to boss but it would often aggro a knight who might backstab or kill you as you exit fog door, so it was better to fight it which helped you deal with the ones in real fight.

Other places felt like weird omissions.

that one doesn't even count because there's an elevator just outside the boss door that's a 100% clear run from the initial bonfire

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

the bosses in this game seem way more gently caress you than any other souls game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vermain posted:

that one doesn't even count because there's an elevator just outside the boss door that's a 100% clear run from the initial bonfire

lmao you're right, i remember now that _I_ had to deal with the knight every time because I would forget to reset the elevator for myself

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Nuebot posted:

I've seen a few people say the mimic tear sucks or doesn't do much damage and I gotta say, I never had that issue. Mine absolutely would buff its right hand weapon and just stomp the boss with me.

I had no trouble with the dive, but the fact that he'd always nothing personal me drove me nuts trying to just find him.

When I manage to see him coming and dodge it, he immediately follows up with a claw slash or a fire breath from behind me to really gently caress me up
And all of his attacks hit me for 75% health, at lvl 150, 40+ vigor

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Astrochicken posted:

the bosses in this game seem way more gently caress you than any other souls game.

it feels like the further in you get the more From wants you to use the ash system, if you don't have someone pulling aggro from you then you'll only be able to hit most of them once a calendar year

certainly helps that you are just drowning in glovewort by the 3/4 mark or so

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Astrochicken posted:

i think thats how it goes, if your same exact souls muscle memory and habits transferred across the series it loses its "hard game" reputation.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Don't sleep on upgraded wolves either. You should have plenty of upgrade mats if you're doing optional catacombs and those good bois are great at helping you deal with big packs of trash.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

it feels like the further in you get the more From wants you to use the ash system, if you don't have someone pulling aggro from you then you'll only be able to hit most of them once a calendar year

certainly helps that you are just drowning in glovewort by the 3/4 mark or so

If you aren't using gold sign summons or ashes and think the game is too hard, you're the one handicapping yourself.

It is pretty hard and or bullshit in sections but it's also sections that allow your own level of bullshit.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
sleep on Deena the shitbird because it sucks at level 10 too

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sockser posted:

When I manage to see him coming and dodge it, he immediately follows up with a claw slash or a fire breath from behind me to really gently caress me up
And all of his attacks hit me for 75% health, at lvl 150, 40+ vigor

Yeah that's always the frustrating part, he warps behind you and it throws your entire camera off and you've gotta find him before he hits your rear end for most of your HP. And more vigor isn't much of a solution. I had like 55? Vigor at the time and his dive still one shot me, most of his other attacks left me at 25%. Like a lot of From's other big dragon bosses you really just kinda gotta get into the timing of his attacks to not get hit, but it's a huge pain with his teleports when he starts throwing his tantrum.

Best advice I've got is that he'll throw his fit for a while then stop for a bit to get some more regular attacks off before doing it again, so I opted to focus mostly on dodging until he stopped teleporting like a jackass.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Maybe I'm just lucky, but my mimic spams the poo poo out of Hoarfrost Stomp and Holy Stomp.

It almost singlehandedly took down the bug queen, the crystal ladies, and that one mimic giant underground.

lol after being disappointed in how rarely he was using the hoarfrost stomp i tried to gift him for spamming i tried summoning him with moonveil instead to see if he’d use that more often and still he only felt like using it once every 16 years. i’ve only really used it for three fights total though so maybe i just haven’t given it enough of a chance yet

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
S tier: Mimic, Shield Wall

A tier: pack of wolves

B tier: stinky rot dog

F tier: everything else

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

lol after being disappointed in how rarely he was using the hoarfrost stomp i tried to gift him for spamming i tried summoning him with moonveil instead to see if he’d use that more often and still he only felt like using it once every 16 years. i’ve only really used it for three fights total though so maybe i just haven’t given it enough of a chance yet

are you using a shield with No Skill ash? that seems to encourage them to skill-spam a lot more

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lmao the weapon ash on Radhans sword is incredibly OP but nobody will ever realize it because it isnt a katana. Just rips bosses out of whatever they are doing in addition to doing over 2k damage. Just beat Alecto by spamming it in between jump attacks boosted by the cloak and talisman

I am in love with this weapon

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

tisch is also good because her death-blade makes boss healthbars nosedive and she's zippy enough to survive most attacks that aren't AOE spam

still not mimic-tear, but i rang for her a fair few times

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm trying to beat this game before family comes to visit so I said gently caress it and summoned co-op to beat Malenia. Worth it!

Mac just kamehameha'd the poo poo out of phase 2 while she was sitting in her lotus.

I'll get her solo next time lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Realistically the mimic tear should cost 100fp in addition to its HP cost, which is the baseline for the actually useful summons. Like a reverse giant rats

I'm not sold on it needing to be nerfed but that's what I would recommend if it was going to happen.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I also can't stress enough that if you have a bleed build, Mimic is insanely OP.

Or if you're fighting a boss with a slow start and you're more a strength or whatever build, give your mimic a bleed weapon at the beginning, then quickly equip your preferred weapon that you didn't allow the mimic to have.

Mimic + Bleed = the boss is dead in seconds

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i just remembered why i loved mimic so much and why it felt so natural top play with. it's a crude version of Dragon's Dogma pawn.

Oh baby elden ring 2 pls give me pawn

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Epic High Five posted:

Lmao the weapon ash on Radhans sword is incredibly OP but nobody will ever realize it because it isnt a katana. Just rips bosses out of whatever they are doing in addition to doing over 2k damage. Just beat Alecto by spamming it in between jump attacks boosted by the cloak and talisman

I am in love with this weapon

Radahn swords are mad good overall. The jumping R1 hits for over 1000 damage and comes out obscenely quick.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Khanstant posted:

i just remembered why i loved mimic so much and why it felt so natural top play with. it's a crude version of Dragon's Dogma pawn.

Oh baby elden ring 2 pls give me pawn

*stirring cookpot* did somebody say prawn

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

skasion posted:

Radahn swords are mad good overall. The jumping R1 hits for over 1000 damage and comes out obscenely quick.

Its wild because I'm certain it is actually more powerful than the jump R2 because it uses both swords. A jump R1 with my current build is almost 1600 damage and I've only got 60 str and 18 int. The explosion on the weapon ash is a reliable 2k. Complete insanity even before you factor in that it's like fist weapons and double handling it gives you two for the weight of one

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD
this may be a dim question but - are you supposed to not be able to use summons in the sellia crystal caves fallingstar beast fight? its weird, the tombstone sometimes pops up when i die but it never lets me summon when i'm in the damned room

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I am really digging my Moonveil Mage, with my staff in my left hand and the katana on the right I can comfortably deal with foes at any range without worrying about changing weapons.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

School Nickname posted:

Gave up on Malenia for now, beat Mohg with no summons at sl139, after ~20 tries. He's a much fairer boss even if he spams bleed at you. Also bleed builds are loving broken compared to quality builds. My longsword's on paper damage goes down by 10% for vastly improved effective dps thanks to the proc. I lost hoarfrost stomp though. :( What's a half-decent alternative?

Quality builds basically exist to keep your weapon free for enchanting tbh. If you're not using grease or enchants then you might as well pick bleed for free damage. Split damage isn't even that bad in this game.

Bloody Slash is the go to for easy damage and Sepukku cranks Bleed to 11. But since you're using a Straight Sword I'd also recommend the humble Square Off. It's basically gaijin unsheathe and it cranks your regular sword to greatsword levels of stagger and it fires off really quick.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So uh

I’m curious, because I haven’t checked; does anyone else not kill the merchants for their ball bearings?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Eej posted:

Quality builds basically exist to keep your weapon free for enchanting tbh. If you're not using grease or enchants then you might as well pick bleed for free damage. Split damage isn't even that bad in this game.

Bloody Slash is the go to for easy damage and Sepukku cranks Bleed to 11. But since you're using a Straight Sword I'd also recommend the humble Square Off. It's basically gaijin unsheathe and it cranks your regular sword to greatsword levels of stagger and it fires off really quick.

Square Off was the only way I could beat the Warmaster Shack Bell Hunter. He was insanely hard at my level and staggering him with anything was a massive challenge.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

So uh

I’m curious, because I haven’t checked; does anyone else not kill the merchants for their ball bearings?

i left them alone. they're nice fellas

also kale's warning about how unforgiving they are led me to believe that killing one would make all of them stop selling to me, though in truth it was probably foreshadowing for the cut revelation that the nomads are beckoning the frenzied flame as vengeance for their people being entombed by marika

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’ve never played a Souls game but I gave this a try and I’m really bouncing off it hard. The combat just seems so slow and clunky. I feel like I’m playing a 15 year old Skyrim game. Is there a good guide to learning how to play this game? I do want to give it a fair shot.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Gonna have to give the shield wall a try. I'm not using mimic tear on my second playthru, and I've tried a bunch of ash and really, any spirit ash that summons 3 or more dudes is great.

Bloodhound knight is now my main and pretty good, getting my FP up now to try more hero ash. Jarhead sucks. Lots of ashes have little side abilities you'd not know about. The bird will buff your damage when summoned (and then die in three hits). The Raya Lucaria soldiers throw those anti-heal pots... maybe they work on malenia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

RCarr posted:

I’ve never played a Souls game but I gave this a try and I’m really bouncing off it hard. The combat just seems so slow and clunky. I feel like I’m playing a 15 year old Skyrim game. Is there a good guide to learning how to play this game? I do want to give it a fair shot.

I just got into the series like 2 months before ER with a playthrough on DS1 and it's less about the combat and more about the bosses and learning them and using that to defeat them. Well that and the bespoke and strange multiplayer parts of it.

You can make builds that are fast and flashy if you like tho, you can make pretty much anything you want in fact. If you are annoyed at how ponderous things are mayhe give a samurai start a shot? It's never gonna be DMC5 but that's a quick and lethal combat setup