Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Ditch posted:

Appropos of nothing, I just remembered that Nagata had possibly the hardest strength-of-schedule MMA career of all time. His two fights were against Cro Cop and Fedor.

That generation of NJ heavyweights got screwed over so badly by terrible booking in the 2000s, though at the same time I think the next generation has a bit more talent and accordingly had better results.

If Kojima stays you could argue that the 2000's new talent would be the equal of Tanahashi/Nakamura but Tenzan feels like that even if Inokism didn't happen he wouldn't be able to hand at the top of the card anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

SG Bamboo posted:

NOAH's house style is fantastic (if you like way too stiff strikes then you'll enjoy it), but the booking is completely infuriating. If you like anyone under 50, be prepared for them to lose a lot and look ineffective while doing it. But also stuff like Kenoh vs Kaito and any non-Perros del Mal jr Match is normally very good.

In terms of mens promotions, I will always recommend DDT. If you can get past the absolute worst gimmick on the planet Pheromones and don't mind absurdist comedy on the undercard, the top few matches on pretty much any card are often fantastic featuring some veterans that can still go (like Jun Akiyama) and some of the best young wrestlers in the world (like Konosuke Takeshita and Yuki Ueno). And they go just as hard in front of 100 people in the middle of nowhere Japan as they do in front of 1500 people for Peter Pan. Although a side effect of them running such small towns is that a fair number of their shows only go up a few days afterwards as they don't stream everything live

If you like shoot style, then TJPW may not be for you. Much as I love it, it's a lot more character focused and the in ring further down the card can get very rough with people like Pom, Neko and Raku. I really enjoy the SEAdLINNG matches that GEORGE W BUSHI posts in the MOTYC thread, and Ganbare☆Joshi on Wrestle Universe is very solid, although they don't run shows super often.

Lamuella posted:

Noah have incredible talent (especially Kenoh, Nakajima, Kiyomiya, Marufuji, etc) and some of the most confounding booking imaginable. Worth it for the match quality but once a show you will tell Nosawa Rongai to go gently caress himself.

TJPW are incredible fun as long as you accept that it's a character fed more than a workrate fed. And Miyu Yamashita is the coolest wrestler in the world. Stardom I've been told are very hot right now.

Ganbare are a hidden gem. Very pyrokinetic, entertainment driven but still very decent in ring, and they have a sister Joshi promotion.

This is my standing recommendation to try out Wrestle Universe. For 900 yen a month you get DDT (comedy, but also some of the best wrestlers in the world like Konosuke Takeshita), Noah, TJPW, Ganbare, and Ganbare Joshi. Plus fun treats like Rojo Street Wrestling and Prominence (women's Deathmatch micro-fed).

Thanks both of you.

I don’t only like shoot style, I like character-driven stuff too. The main things I like in wrestling are stories that are told well and/or realistic violence. AEW is currently satisfying the former for me, and Lidet UWF the latter. I like what I’ve seen of TJPW so far because of the character and storyline stuff. I’ve been meaning to check out Prominence too, big fan of Suzu Suzuki’s death match journey

That’s also why I was wary of NOAH. What what I understand the work is great but the booking is poor, which is also why I stopped watching NJPW. I’m not a big fan of comedy wrestling which is why I’ve been avoiding DDT, Dragon Gate isn’t my style at all, and I don’t know anything about All Japan these days.

What would be my best bet for a competently booked mens promotion? Or is that not really a thing at the moment? What’s G Pro Wrestling like?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Thanks both of you.

I don’t only like shoot style, I like character-driven stuff too. The main things I like in wrestling are stories that are told well and/or realistic violence. AEW is currently satisfying the former for me, and Lidet UWF the latter. I like what I’ve seen of TJPW so far because of the character and storyline stuff. I’ve been meaning to check out Prominence too, big fan of Suzu Suzuki’s death match journey

That’s also why I was wary of NOAH. What what I understand the work is great but the booking is poor, which is also why I stopped watching NJPW. I’m not a big fan of comedy wrestling which is why I’ve been avoiding DDT, Dragon Gate isn’t my style at all, and I don’t know anything about All Japan these days.

What would be my best bet for a competently booked mens promotion? Or is that not really a thing at the moment? What’s G Pro Wrestling like?

Unfortunately, Dragon Gate is widely acknowledged to have the best men's booking.

DDT is very competently booked and as long as you watch the post intermission matches or the matches with Jun Akiyama then you won't be seeing many comedy matches.

G Pro Wrestling is good and competently booked, I'd say give it a try.

If you don't mind death match wrestling Big Japan is supposed to be good and they have Big Japan Strong for a non death match style.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 9, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fez_machine posted:

Unfortunately, Dragon Gate is widely acknowledged to have the best men's booking.

DDT is very competently booked and as long as you watch the post intermission matches or the matches with Jun Akiyama then you won't be seeing many comedy matches.

G Pro Wrestling is good and competently booked, I'd say give it a try.

If you don't mind death match wrestling Big Japan is supposed to be good and they have Big Japan Strong for a non death match style.

Big Japan is the definition of "good wrestling, lousy booking" tbh. And I say that as someone who loves the Strong division. But God they make NOSAWA look someone who pushes younger talent.

NOAH is insanely frustrating because they've shown they can book well: Go Shiozaki's 2020 GHC Title run was booked exquisitely. But then they put the title on old dudes with a rep for refusing to lose & you could weep.

Honestly, purely from a booking perspective DG is the best booked puro company right now. The way they've raised their young talent has been fantastic, and much needed with the original Toryumon guys all getting into their 40s.

G Prowrestling has been a lot of fun, and STRONGHEARTS vs BULK Orchestra was my fave feud if 2021. It is in the Dragon System orbit but then you have a mix of ex-W1 guys, Kawakami is a fine example of BJW just whiffing on younger guys (see also Freedoms death match standouts Sakuda & Ueki), Tamura is a TAKA trainee who feels like he could have easily fit in with any of the traditional companies. I think it's a nice meshing of styles & well worth a look at least. Watch their recent Korakuen show with the title Tournament semis and final & see how you feel. I loved them.

All Japan is, in a word, workmanlike. The booking isn't perfect, the roster is pretty thin but also on oh young side & promising, and Kento is always good value. I like it, I think it's worth checking out, AJPW TV is a good little service with maybe 3 or 4 live shows a month plus a couple that go up on demand later.

As for joshi, I think SEAdLINNNG is pretty cool

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Yeah I've been most excited by DG in terms of booking. What do you not like about its house style? I feel like the Dream Gate title scene has bulked up, as current champion KAI brings the AJPW/Mutoh influence into his title matches, and his last two challengers were heavyweight DG guys like Takashi Yoshida and Big Boss Shimizu. The rookie wrestlers are being pushed really hard right now (which is not how puro usually works at all), and their workrate has been nothing but stellar. It also does faction drama waaaay better than any other promotion.

but if I were to pick one (1) puro promotion to follow right now it would be DDT, which does sports entertainment better than WWE does. (just skip Dieno and the Pheromones stuff lol)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I can't recommend DDT purely because of Pheromones. And the insistence of putting Yuji Hino with Yukio Naya.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
DDT is not perfect (nothing is, but some are less stellar than the others), so that's a big caveat.

Honestly I'm less beholden to promotions now, and follow wrestlers instead. Having a balanced wrestling diet is best, though it can cost your wallet. So for best value, just get a Wrestle Universe sub lol.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'd honestly say to give AJPW a shot. They're in a rebuilding stage but they've got Kento back on top looking his best. They've got a clearly hot prospect in Ryuki Honda who looked great in his title challenge at just 21 years old. The heel faction are heelish without being obnoxious about it. The two Korakuens this year have been really enjoyable and they have a big show coming up at Ota Ward.

The SEAdLINNNG house style is pretty similar to the NOAH house style so if NOAH's booking puts you off then you can watch that. They probably have the best tag team matches in all of Japan if you like tag team wrestling. I can't really say best tag division because it's just Las Ego and then Arisa/Nanae/Yoshiko getting paired with different people. Las Ego are my favourite tag team in the world though. They have one high speed match per show which is mostly comedy though if you don't like that.

(Funnily enough there was a thing last year with some western joshi fans complaining about SEAd in the same vein western puro fans complain about NOAH but the women they were complaining about were in their 30s and early 40s as opposed to NOAH pushing guys in their mid to late 50s)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
AJPW is the Yoshitatsu Containment Zone

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/DraditionDragon/status/1501792668707594242?t=GPOTCdee96ULn_ZElm0LBg&s=19

Main event of the first show of Tatsumi Fujinami's 50th Anniversary tour is Fujinami, Shingo Takagi & SANADA vs. Yuji Nagata, Shiro Koshinaka & Mitsuya Nagai

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Lily Catts posted:

Yeah I've been most excited by DG in terms of booking. What do you not like about its house style?

I can appreciate the odd frenetic multiman match, but one after the other is just too much for me

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

A pretty quiet week again aside from the endless slog that is New Japan (sorry, that's harsh, I just get mad that they keep making my backlog get longer & longer). Decent looking AJPW show on Saturday, fun G Prowrestling on Sunday, NOAH have the biggest show of the week probably with the Heavyweight Tag tournament & Harada vs Eita which could be really good. Usual fun SEAdLINNNG show on Friday. Next week is definitely looking bigger, with TJPW's big Grand Princess show, an Ice Ribbon Korakuen that has Fujimoto tagging with Hikaru Shida for the first time since 2014(!), & SAKI challenging for the ICExInfinity belt, DDT Judgement which has a pretty stacked lineup with too much to call out, NOAH have Fujita's first title defence, All Japan at Ota Ward Gym with Jake Lee's return from injury & Miyahara defending vs Ishikawa. Always a sign of a big week when you've got to look forward to the following week for the big poo poo.

12/3/2022, Saturday

10am JST/12pm AEDT/1am GMT/8pm EST/5pm PST

Gatoh Move ChocoPro #208
Ichigaya Chocolate Square, Tokyo
Super Asian Title: Baliyan Akki(c) vs Ken Ohka
Live on Youtube

11:30am JST/1:30pm AEDT/2:30am GMT/9:30pm EST/6:30pm PST

All Japan Pro Wrestling Dream Power Series Night 2
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Rising HAYATO vs Seigo Tachibana
Black Menso-re & Takao Omori vs Izanagi & Kikutaro
Ryo Inoue vs TAJIRI
KAZMA SAKAMOTO vs Yoshitatsu
NEXTREAM (Atsuki Aoyagi, Kento Miyahara & Yuma Aoyagi) vs Ren Ayabe & Twin Towers (Kohei Sato & Shuji Ishikawa)
Evolution (Hikaru Sato & Suwama) & Shotaro Ashino vs TOTAL ECLIPSE (Koji Doi, Kuma Arashi & Ryuki Honda)
All Asia Tag Team Titles: TOTAL ECLIPSE (Hokuto Omori & Yusuke Kodama)(c) vs Dan Tamura & X (Abdullah Kobayashi is out as a close contact)
Live on AJPW TV

1:30pm JST/3:30pm AEDT/4:30am GMT/11:30pm EST/8:30pm PST

Stardom In Tokyo
Belle Salle Takadanobana, Tokyo
Momo Kohgo vs Saya Iida
COSMIC ANGELS (Mina Shirakawa, Tam Nakano, Unagi Sayaka & Waka Tsukiyama) vs Donna Del Mondo (Giulia, Mai Sakurai, MIRAI & Thekla)
Donna Del Mondo (Himeka, Maika, Natsupoi & Syuri) vs STARS (Hanan, Hazuki, Koguma & Mayu Iwatani)
Tug of War Match?: Oedo Tai (Momo Watanabe, Rina, Ruaka, Saki Kashima & Starlight Kid) vs Queen's Quest (AZM, Lady C, Saya Kamitani, Utami Hayashishita & X)
I have no what a tug of war match is, I think that's the right translation anyway
Show presumably uploaded to Stardom World

5pm JST/7pm AEDT/8am GMT/3am EST/12am PST

New Japan Pro Wrestling New Japan Cup Night 6
Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium, Nagoya
Kosei Fujita, Tomoaki Honma & Yuto Nakashima vs Master Wato, Ryohei Oiwa & Ryusuke Taguchi
Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Chase Owens & Gedo) vs Hiroshi Tanahashi, Tiger Mask & YOH
CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI) vs House of Torture (Dick Togo, EVIL & Yujiro Takahashi)
LIJ (BUSHI, Hiromu Takahashi, Shingo Takagi & Tetsuya Naito) vs Suzukigun (El Desperado, Minoru Suzuki, Taichi & TAKA Michinoku)
NJ Cup 2nd Round: DOUKI vs Zack Sabre Jr
NJ Cup 2nd Round: Great O Khan vs Taiji Ishimori
NJ Cup 2nd Round: El Phantasmo vs Will Ospreay
NJ Cup 2nd Round: Aaron Henare vs SANADA
Live on NJPW World

DDT Free -March-
Suminoe Maikon Hall, Osaka
Card TBA
Uploaded later to Wrestle Universe

Also shows from BJW, Ice Ribbon, Colega & Ryuku Dragon Pro

13/3/2022, Sunday

11:30am JST/1:30pm AEDT/2:30am GMT/9:30pm EST/6:30pm PST

Stardom In Korakuen
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
COSMIC ANGELS (Tam Nakano & Waka Tsukiyama) vs Queen's Quest (AZM & X)
Fukigen Death vs Mina Shirakawa vs Momo Kohgo
Mai Sakurai vs Unagi Sayaka
Artist of Stardom Titles: Donna Del Mondo (Himeka, Maika & Natsupoi)(c) vs Queen's Quest (Lady C, Saya Kamitani & Utami Hayashishita)
Oedo Tai (Momo Watanabe, Rina, Ruaka, Saki Kashima & Starlight Kid) vs STARS (Hanan, Hazuki, Koguma, Mayu Iwatani & Saya Iida)
Donna Del Mondo (Giulia & Thekla) vs Donna Del Mondo (MIRAI & Syuri)

1pm JST/3pm AEDT/4am GMT/11pm EST/8pm PST

DDT Judgement 2022 Tour In Osaka
Suminoe Maikon Hall, Tokyo
Bodyguard, Yuji Hino & Yukio Naya vs Eruption (Kazusada Higuchi & Yukio Sakaguchi) & Kazuki Hirata
Chris Brookes vs Naomi Yoshimura
37KAMIINA (Konosuke Takeshita, Shunma Katsumata, Toi Kojima & Yuki Ueno) vs Burning (Jun Akiyama, Tetsuya Endo, Yusuke Okada & Yuya Koroku)
Unsure if there'll be other stuff added
Uploaded later to Wrestle Universe

2pm JST/4pm AEDT/5am GMT/12am EST/9pm PST

GLEAT G Pro Wrestling Ver.20
Shinjuku FACE, Tokyo
BULK Orchestra (Hayato Tamura & KAZMA SAKAMOTO) vs Stronghearts (CIMA & Issei Onitsuka)
Kaho Matsushita, Tsukasa Fujimoto & Yappy vs Madeline, Michiko Miyagi & Yukari Hosokawa
Leo Isaka & Yu Iizuka vs Masato Kamino & TiiiDA
Kaz Hayashi vs Nobuhiro Shimatani
BULK Orchestra (Quiet Storm & Ryuichi Kawakami) vs Stronghearts (El Lindaman & T-Hawk)
Jun Tonsho, Keiichi Sato & Tetsuya Izuchi vs Minoru Tanaka, Soma Watanabe & Takanori Ito
Uploaded to Youtube on a Thursday at Noon GMT. Probably this coming Thursday but I can't say for sure. I'll post here when I know

4pm JST/6pm AEDT/7am GMT/2am EST/11pm PST

New Japan Pro Wrestling New Japan Cup Night 7
Bacom Gymnasium, Amagasaki
Hirooki Goto, Master Wato & YOSHI-HASHI vs Suzukigun (Taichi, TAKA Michinoku & Zack Sabre Jr)
House of Torture (SHO & Yujiro Takahashi) vs Suzukigun (DOUKI & El Desperado)
Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, El Phantasmo, Gedo & Taiji Ishimori) vs United Empire (Aaron Henare, Great O Khan, Jeff Cobb & Will Ospreay)
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kazuchika Okada & YOH vs LIJ (BUSHI, SANADA & Tetsuya Naito
NJ Cup 2nd Round: Chase Owens vs Tiger Mask
NJ Cup 2nd Round: Shingo Takagi vs Tanga Loa
NJ Cup 2nd Round: EVIL vs Tama Tonga
NJ Cup 2nd Round: Hiromu Takahashi vs Minoru Suzuki
Live on NJPW World

Pro Wrestling NOAH Great Voyage 2022 In Yokohama
Yokohama Budokan, Yokohama
Junta Miyawaki vs Kinya Okada
GHC Heavyweight Tag Team Title Tournament 1st Round: Daiki Inaba & Kaito Kiyomiya vs M's Alliance (Masaaki Mochizuki & Naomichi Marufuji)
GHC Heavyweight Tag Team Title Tournament 1st Round: Kongo (Kenoh & Masakatsu Funaki) vs Sugiuragun (Hideki Suzuki & Takashi Sugiura)
Kongo (Hajime Ohara, Nioh & Tadasuke) vs Stinger (HAYATA & Yoshinari Ogawa) & Yasutaka Yano
Alejandro, Atsushi Kotoge & Haoh vs Los Perros del Mal de Japon (Ikuto Hidaka, NOSAWA Rongai & Super Crazy)
Kotaro Suzuki vs YO-HEY
Go Shiozaki vs Manabu Soya
Masa Kitamiya, Masato Tanaka & Yoshiki Inamura vs Sugiuragun (Kazushi Sakuraba, Kazuyuki Fujita & Kendo Kashin)
GHC Junior Heavyweight Title: Daisuke Harada(c) vs Eita
GHC Heavyweight Tag Team Title Tournament Final
Live on Wrestle Universe

5pm JST/7pm AEDT/8am GMT/3am EST/12am PST

All Japan Pro Wrestling Dream Power Series Night 2
Yamada Green Dome, Maebashi
Izanagi vs MAZADA
FUMA & Takao Omori vs Ryo Inoue & Yoshitatsu
Black Menso-re vs Rising HAYATO
Dan Tamura & Shotaro Ashino vs TOTAL ECLIPSE (Ryuki Honda & TAJIRI)
Evolution (Hikaru Sato & Suwama) vs TOTAL ECLIPSE (Hokuto Omori & Kuma Arashi)
NEXTREAM (Atsuki Aoyagi, Kento Miyahara & Yuma Aoyagi) vs Ryoji Sai, Shuji Ishikawa & Yoshi Yutaka
Uploaded later to AJPW TV

Also shows from Diana, Actwres girlZ, BJW, Doutonbori Pro, 2AW, Heat-Up, Freedoms, Wave & Oz Academy

14/3/2022, Monday

7pm JST/9pm AEDT/10am GMT/5am EST/2am PST

New Japan Pro Wrestling New Japan Cup Night 8
Takamatsu City General Gymnasium #1, Takamatsu
NJ Cup 3rd Round:
NJ Cup 3rd Round:
Rest of card TBA
Live on NJPW World

15/3/2022, Tuesday

6:30pm JST/8:30pm AEDT/9:30am GMT/4:30am EST/1:30am PST

New Japan Pro Wrestling New Japan Cup Night 9
ZIP Arena, Okayama
NJ Cup 3rd Round:
NJ Cup 3rd Round:
Rest of card TBA
Live on NJPW World

Also BASARA

16/3/2022, Wednesday

Tenryu Project

17/3/2022, Thursday

New Japan Pro Wrestling New Japan Cup Night 10
Twin Messe, Shizuoka
NJ Cup 3rd Round:
NJ Cup 3rd Round:
Rest of card TBA
Live on NJPW World

Also Strong Style Wrestling & Colega

18/3/2022, Friday

New Japan Pro Wrestling New Japan Cup Night 11
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
NJ Cup 3rd Round:
NJ Cup 3rd Round:
Rest of card TBA
Live on NJPW World

SEAdLINNNG Shinkiba Night!
Shin-Kiba 1stRING
Crea & Ryo Mizunami vs Las Fresa de Egoistas (Ayame Sasamura & Makoto)
High Speed Match: ASUKA vs Kaori Yoneyama vs Yoshiko
Arisa Nakajima, Hanako Nakamori & Tsukasa Fujimoto vs Asahi, Hiroyo Matsumoto & Itsuki Aoki
Riko Kaiju vs Riko Kawahata
Live on iPPV

Also shows from Colega & Sendai Girls

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I'm enjoying Lidet UWF so far bc I love shoot style, is it worth checking out the G Pro side of GLEAT?
Absolutely. The G-REX title tournament had fantastic semi-finals & finals, which is a great place to start if you don't want to go through months of back shows (Lindaman vs T-Hawk is especially great). You said DG isn't your style, so some of GLEAT's cruiserweights might turn you off since they came directly from there, but it's not their main focus. BULK Orchestra is one of the most fun heel factions I've seen in ages. They're just beefy tough guys who earned each other's mutual respect from beating rear end, and flex their pecs constantly. It rules. GLEAT is also one of the few J promotions that's trying to solidly push both men's & women's divisions: They have a few joshis under contract now (after only having Michiko Miyagi at first), and the rest of the women appear via working relationships with other promotions.

As someone who doesn't watch much DDT outside of their biggest shows, what is the Pheromones gimmick everyone hates and why is it so terrible? I'm only vaguely aware of them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Absolutely. The G-REX title tournament had fantastic semi-finals & finals, which is a great place to start if you don't want to go through months of back shows (Lindaman vs T-Hawk is especially great). You said DG isn't your style, so some of GLEAT's cruiserweights might turn you off since they came directly from there, but it's not their main focus. BULK Orchestra is one of the most fun heel factions I've seen in ages. They're just beefy tough guys who earned each other's mutual respect from beating rear end, and flex their pecs constantly. It rules. GLEAT is also one of the few J promotions that's trying to solidly push both men's & women's divisions: They have a few joshis under contract now (after only having Michiko Miyagi at first), and the rest of the women appear via working relationships with other promotions.

As someone who doesn't watch much DDT outside of their biggest shows, what is the Pheromones gimmick everyone hates and why is it so terrible? I'm only vaguely aware of them.

Dieno sexually assaulting people, Iino trying to get naked at every opportunity & Yumehito Imanari I guess is their videographer/or is a voyeur. It's explicitly a stable of perverts & I dunno, It's Danshoku Dieno shtick but more. There's nothing charming about it most of the time (though in the Tag League where they were represented by Iino & Imanari there was some mildly funny stuff, but all of that revolves around the GM of DDT (I forget his name) trying to stop them getting naked or whatever, like in Chiba Iino went under the ring & came back out & had removed both his singlet & his underwear & the GM is desperately covering him up with his jacket and eventually convinces Iino to put his undies on again, but when he goes to pull them up he managed to flash the camera his rear end in a top hat so we got a nice Iino face censoring it, which the poor fans at ringside wouldn't have been saved by.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, OK. A stable of sex pests played for laughs is probably the most tone-deaf gimmick I've heard of in today's climate.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, OK. A stable of sex pests played for laughs is probably the most tone-deaf gimmick I've heard of in today's climate.

Unfortunately, the homosexual rapist faction is very popular with the Japanese audience so they're not going away anytime soon.

It could just be fun rear end stuff like this Kenny Omega, Shida, Kana and Tanaka match https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x45wy4k but nope it's pretty much always sexual assault.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

They're substantially less annoying when Dieno isn't there. Iino in an enjoyable goof who shows his butt too much but usually isn't trying to make it your problem.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The worst DDT match I've seen had Dieno in it (it was an MMA-styled match against Bob Sapp and you can tell the guy wasn't being paid enough for the poo poo he had to put up with)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Really have to recommend the 27th February All Japan show from 2AW Square. Not that it's a must watch on the level of NOAH 1/1 or anything but it's just a really fun show top to bottom, there's good wrestling, some amusing comedy bits, exactly what a good B show should be really. Fuminori Abe & Shuji Ishikawa vs Kento & HAYATO was fun, Daiju Wakamatsu vs Ryo Inoue was a real nice opener, Aoyagi Bros vs THE RULE was great. Honestly, the only match worth the effort of skipping is the 2nd match, Izanagi & Yoshitatsu vs Omori & Menso-re, everything else is a bare minimum of "fun". So if you've an idle 2 hours & just want to have a nice time, this is it. You'll see MUCH better shows this year but better B shows? I doubt it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The Yoshitatsu Kingdom has been restored to its rightful King!!!

Champion Carnival blocks btw

https://twitter.com/PKDX/status/1502487913418080264?t=XgbSj1PYYrtyCV9fADLPOQ&s=19

Looks pretty great. Glad to see Takuya get a shot.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 12, 2022

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Holy poo poo, those are some monster CC blocks (and also Yoshitatsu). Irie vs Honda is something I didn't know I needed until now

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Swap out Yoshitatsu for Koji Doi and let Yoshitatsu continue doing his weirdly compelling Yoshiverse angles in the undercards and it'd be perfect

Predicting Jake vs Yuma final.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Nomura to win it all & finally break free of Big Japan's dire booking, beating Jake in the final & then going on to beat Kento.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
DDT is streaming its house shows free live on youtube now I guess?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOMKXF5F9l4

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 12, 2022

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
They really don't phone it in on these

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Man, the ZERO1 show at Sumo Hall next month is uhhhh loaded. Obviously Sugiura vs Otani. Fujinami, his failson & Koshinaka vs Fujiwara, Masakatsu Funaki & Alexander Otsuka, Shuji Kondo & Daiki Inaba vs Marufuji & Shoki Kitamura, ZERO1 team vs Nagata, Kojima, Tiger Mask & Tatsuhiko Takaiwa, Yuji Hino, Jun Kasai & Saki Nagao vs the Big Japan trio of Daichi Hashimoto, Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi. They've got a joshi legends match, Jaguar Yokota & Shinobu Kandori vs Dump Matsumoto & Crane Yu with Bull Nakano as their second. Guys from AJPW, 2AW, Dragongate, BASARA, Ganbare Pro, basically someone from every promotion you've heard of except GLEAT

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Can't believe the entire AEW roster are now part of Pheromones

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

basically someone from every promotion you've heard of except GLEAT
Masakatsu Funaki has worked Lidet UWF matches, so technically...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Apparently a stack of the times I put down for this week are wrong because daylight savings starts in America today, so that's a pain in the arse. Whole world going to DST (or not having it) on the same date would sure make my life easier. So mentally adjusted any US times yourself.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

forkboy84 posted:

Apparently a stack of the times I put down for this week are wrong because daylight savings starts in America today, so that's a pain in the arse. Whole world going to DST (or not having it) on the same date would sure make my life easier. So mentally adjusted any US times yourself.

Thanks for the heads up, I wouldn't have known it was DST in America and probably have ended up even later for shows than normal :shobon:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not having to manually change clocks cause of everything being online means it's very easy to forget dst and just wake up missing or gaining an hour of sleep

We still should get rid of it

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
New DDT rojo tonight Takagi vs. Nakazawa but it's insanely late for anyone not in Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR2nDvBPkss

There is however a more accessible Tetsuya Endo best of showcase premiering as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slbyNh4_6HQ

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/osakapro/status/1503600222597189632?s=20&t=mi_8LN1zZcnzKazEht3D9A

Osaka Pro's Pre-Launch show from the 6th will air on GAORA Sports on the 25th so I imagine it'll find its way online after that, if you're interested.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/b3rt4/status/1503701891041173505?s=20&t=IkI-7RrrMsvAUQRFOwb8Ag

YES PLEASE

Their only previous singles match was 2016 for the ZERO1 Heavyweight Title.

FatBagzJones
Apr 29, 2021
Hiroshi Tanahashi paying tribute to Scott Hall at today's NJ Cup show

https://twitter.com/JustDewIt10/status/1503698118596038657?t=Z76Ib9mwevby2xxAPARX7Q&s=19

This is soo cool to see, because back in 2001, when Tanahashi was young boy he wrestled Hall, and Scott even put Tana over.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Apparently, Rosey almost talked Roman Reigns into signing with AJPW before he took the WWE developmental deal with accommodation being the only sticking point.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I guess Killer (née Karrion) Kross is going to NJPW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnm9L3tE2fs

the vignette, uh, does not inspire confidence

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

A slightly early schedule this week because...I dunno, I was able to. Rare to see so few shows on a Saturday, but one of them is TJPW at Sumo Hall with their belts all on the line, plus non/semi-regulars Yuna Manase (& friends from GanJo), ASUKA, Sanshiro Takagi, Frenchman who looks a lot like Yukio Sakaguchi if you squint & even Hikaru Shida! Sunday is a bit busier with most of the major companies running, New Japan Cup Quarter Finals start, DDT Judgement, NOAH, Stardom. Monday is a holiday in Japan & that means big shows from All Japan & NOAH, with both their top belts on the line, plus the other night of NJ Cup Quarter Finals. And a cool looking 2AW show that I'll almost certainly not get to see, sigh. The rest of the week has very little going on, GLEAT go a G Prowrestling show, NOAH have a Korakuen double header, including night 1 having a rematch of my match of the year, Katsuhiko Nakajima vs Go Shiozaki, for seemingly no reason? Cool. There's also an Eita vs YO-HEY singles match which is fascinating from a Dragongate perspective.

19/3/2022, Saturday

2pm JST/4pm AEDT/5am GMT/1am EDT/10pm PDT

Tokyo Joshi Pro Grand Princess '22
Ryogoku Kokugikan, Tokyo
Arisu Endo & Suzume vs Jurina Nagano & Moka Miyamota
HARUKAZE, Moeka Haruhi, Yuna Manase & YuuRI vs Haruna Neko, Kaya Toribami, Mahiro Kiryu & Nao Kakuta
Hyper Misao vs Sanshiro Takagi
ASUKA vs Yuki Kamifuku
Nodoka Tenma vs Yuki Aino
NEO Biishikigun (Martha, Mei Saint-Michel, Sakisama & Yukio Saint Laurent) vs Marika Kobashi, Pom Harajuku, Raku & Ram Kaichow
Hikari Noa vs Hikaru Shida
International Princess Title: Maki Itoh(c) vs Yuki Arai
Princess Tag Team Titles: Magical Sugar Rabbits (Mizuki & Yuka Sakazaki)(c) vs Miu Watanabe & Rika Tatsumi
Princess of Princess Title: Miyu Yamashita(c) vs Shoko Nakajima
Live on Wrestle Universe

6pm JST/8pm AEDT/9am GMT/5am EDT/2am PDT

Dragongate Glorious Gate 2022 Night 4
Sambo Hall, Kobe
Card TBA
Live on DG Network

Also shows from Ice Ribbon, Heat-Up & Colega

20/3/2022, Sunday

11:30am JST/1:30pm AEDT/2:30am GMT/10:30pm EDT/7:30pm PDT

Ice Ribbon Korakuen Tournament March 2022
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Maika Ozaki & Saori Anou vs Ram Kaichow & Saran
Kaho Matsushita vs Rina Yamashita
Asashi & Ibuki Hoshi vs Cherry & Kiku vs Hikari Shimizu & Yuko Sakurai
Rina Amikura vs Totoro Satsuki
Triangle Ribbon Title: Yuki Mashiro(c) vs Nao Ishikawa vs Riko Kaiju
Hamuko Hoshi & Makoto vs Muscle Venus (Hikaru Shida & Tsukasa Fujimoto)
ICEx ∞ Title: Tsukushi Haruka(c) vs SAKI
I'm honestly not sure where this will show up, if it'll be on their NicoNico or their YouTube.

1pm JST/3pm AEDT/4am GMT/12am EDT/9pm PDT

Stardom In Hamamatsu
Act City, Hamamatsu
Saya Iida vs Waka Tsukiyama
Donna Del Mondo (Mai Sakurai & Thekla) vs Oedo Tai (Rina & Saki Kashima)
Donna Del Mondo (Himeka, MIRAI & Natsupoi) vs Oedo Tai (Momo Watanabe, Ruaka & Starlight Kid)
Queen's Quest (AZM, Lady C, Miyu Amasaki, Saya Kamitani & Utami Hayashishita) vs STARS (Hanan, Hazuki, Koguma, Mayu Iwatani & Momo Kohgo)
COSMIC ANGELS (Mina Shirakawa, Tam Nakano & Unagi Sayaka) vs Donna Del Mondo (Giulia, Maika & Syuri)

2pm JST/4pm AEDT/5am GMT/1am EDT/10pm PDT

DDT Judgement 2022 - DDT 25th Anniversary
Ryogoku Kokugikan, Tokyo
Prelim: El Unicorn, Toi Kojima & YukI Ishida vs Ilusion, Yusuke Okada & Yuya Koroku
Prelim Tag Team Battle Royal: Andreza Giant Panda & Super Sasadango vs Gorgeous Matsuno & Gota Ihashi vs Minoru Fujita & MJ Paul vs Seiya Morohashi & Tomohiko Hashimoto vs Shota & Soma Takao vs Yuji Hino & Yukio Naya
KO-D 10 Man Tag Team Titles: Antonio Honda, Kazuki Hirata, Toru Owashi & Yoshihiko(c) vs GENTARO, MIKAMI, Poison Sawada JULIE, Takashi Sasaki & Tanomusaku Toba
Akito, LiLiCo & Ryohei Odai vs Pheromones (Danshoku Dieno, Yuki Iino & Yumehito Imanari)
37KAMIINA (Shunma Katsumata & Yuki Ueno) vs Isami Kodaka & Yukio Sakaguchi
Maya Yukihi vs Saki Akai
Burning Wild (Jun Akiyama & Takao Omori) vs Eruption (Hideki Okatani & Kazusada Higuchi)
Michael Nakazawa vs Sanshiro Takagi
KO-D Tag Team Titles: Disaster Box (HARASHIMA & Naomi Yoshimura)(c) vs CDK (Chris Brookes & Masahiro Takanashi
DDT Universal Title Hardcore 3 Way: Daisuke Sasaki(c) vs Jun Kasai vs MAO
KO-D Openweight Title: Konosuke Takeshita(c) vs Tetsuya Endo
Live on Wrestle Universe

5pm JST/7pm AEDT/8am GMT/4am EDT/1am PDT

NJPW New Japan Cup Night 12
Ao-re Nagaoka Arena, Nagaoka
NJ Cup Quarter Final
NJ Cup Quarter Final
Rest of card TBA
Live on NJPW World

Pro Wrestling NOAH Just Fine! 2022 Night 1
Kumamoto City Distribution Information Centre, Kumamoto
Alejandro & Kai Fujimura vs Kinya Okada & Yasutaka Yano
Funky Express (Akitoshi Saito, King Tany & Muhammad Yone) vs Kongo (Hajime Ohara, Nioh & Tadasuke)
Atsushi Kotoge, Haoh & YO-HEY vs Los Perros del Mal de Japon (Kotaro Suzuki, NOSAWA Rongai & Super Crazy)
Masa Kitamiya & Yoshiki Inamura vs Dangan Yankees (Masato Tanaka & Takashi Sugiura)
Daisuke Harada, Junta Miyawaki & Kaito Miyomiya vs HAYATA, Naomichi Marufuji & Yoshinari Ogawa
Daiki Inaba, Go Shiozaki & Masaaki Mochizuki vs Kongo (Katsuhiko Nakajima, Kenoh & Manabu Soya)
Uploaded to Wrestle Universe on 23/3

Also shows from BJW x2, Ryuku Dragon Pro, Diana, Actwres girlZ x2, Kyushu Pro, Dove Pro, JWP & Wave

21/3/2022, Monday, Vernal Equinox Day

10am JST/12pm AEDT/1am GMT/9pm EDT/6pm PDT

Gatoh Move ChocoPro #211
Ichigaya Chocolate Square, Tokyo
Choun Shiryu & Shin Suzuki vs Hoshitango & Masahiro Takanashi
Best Bros (Baliyan Akki & Mei Suruga) vs Sayaka Obihiro & Tokiko Kirihara
Live on Youtube

11:30am JST/1:30pm AEDT/2:30am GMT/10:30pm EDT/7:30pm PDT

2AW Grand Slam in Korakuen Hall
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
BUG's MUTATION (Ayumu Honda & Chicharito Shoki) vs Kunio Toshima & Tatsuya Hanami
Hiroshi Yamato & Taishi Takizawa vs Shuji Kondo & Takuro Niki
Ayame Sasamura & Kyu Mogami, Ricky Fuji & Shiori Asahi vs THE RULE (Ayato Yoshida, Naka Shuma, Takuma Joshiba & X)
Kaji Tomato vs Kotaro Yoshino
2AW Tag Team Titles: Voodoo Murders (Chris Vice & Yoshikazu Yokoyama)(c) vs Daiju Wakamatsu & Shu Asakawa
2AW Openweight Title: Shigehiro Irie(c) vs Kengo Mashimo

1pm JST/3pm AEDT/4am GMT/12am EDT/9pm PDT

Stardom In Nagoya
Nagoya Congress Centre Event Hall, Nagoya
MIRAI vs Miyu Amasaki
STARS (Hanan & Koguma) vs STARS (Hazuki & Momo Kohgo)
COSMIC ANGELS (Mina Shirakawa, Tam Nakano, Unagi Sayaka & Waka Tsukiyama) vs Donna Del Mondo (Himeka, Maika, Mai Sakurai & Natsupoi)
Oedo Tai (Momo Watanabe, Rina, Saki Kshima & Starlight Kid) vs Queen's Quest (AZM, Lady C, Saya Kamitani & Utami Hayashishita)
Alto Livello KABALIWAN (Giulia & Syuri) vs STARS (Mayu Iwatani & Saya Iida)
SWA World Title: Thekla(c) vs Ruaka

3pm JST/5pm AEDT/6am GMT/2am EDT/11pm PDT

NJPW New Japan Cup Night 13
Ao-re Nagaoka Arena, Nagaoka
NJ Cup Quarter Final
NJ Cup Quarter Final
Rest of card TBA
Live on NJPW World

Pro Wrestling NOAH Great Voyage 2022 In Fukuoka
Fukuoka International Centre, Fukuoka
Funky Express (Akitoshi Saito, King Tany & Mohammed Yone) vs Kinya Okada, Masa Kitamiya & Yoshiki Inamura
Alejandro, Haoh & Kai Fujimura vs Kongo (Hajime Ohara, Nioh & Tadasuke)
Naomichi Marufuji vs Yasutaka Yano
Los Perros del Mal de Japon (Eita & Super Crazy) vs Stinger (HAYATA & Yoshinari Ogawa)
Daiki Inaba & Kaito Kiyomiya vs Daisuke Harada & Junta Miyawaki
Go Shiozaki vs Masaaki Mochizuki
GHC Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Atsushi Kotoge & YO-HEY(c) vs Los Perros del Mal de Japon (Kotaro Suzuki & NOSAWA Rongai)
Kongo (Katsuhiko Nakajima, Kenoh, Manabu Soya & Masakatsu Funaki) vs Sugiuragun (Hideki Suzuki, Kazushi Sakuraba, Kendo Kashin & Takashi Sugiura)
GHC Heavyweight Title: Kazuyuki Fujita vs Masato Tanaka
Live on Wrestle Universe

4pm JST/6pm AEDT/7am GMT/3am EDT/12am PDT

AJPW Champions Night 3
Ota Ward General Gymnasium, Tokyo
Abdullah Kobayashi & Dan Tamura vs Black Menso-re & Takao Omori
Carbell Ito, Raimu Imai & Yoshitatsu vs Izanagi, Shigehiro Irie & SUSHI
Andy Wu, Hiroshi Yamato & Seigo Tachibana vs Ryo Inoue, SUGI & Takato Nakano
TOTAL ECLIPSE (Jake Lee, Koji Doi, Kuma Arashi, TAJIRI & Yusuke Kodama) vs Voodoo Murders (KONO, Shuji Kondo, Suwama, TARU & Toshizo)
PWF World Junior Heavyweight Title: Hikaru Sato(c) vs Hokuto Omori
Dradition (LEONA, Mitsuya Nagai & Tatsumi Fujinami) vs NEXTREAM (Atsuki Aoyagi, Rising HAYATO & Yuma Aoyagi)
Last Man Standing Match: Ryuki Honda vs Shotaro Ashino
Triple Crown Title: Kento Miyahara(c) vs Shuji Ishikawa
Live on AJPW TV

Also shows from YMZ, Kyushi Pro, Dove Pro & JWP

22/3/2022, Tuesday

Marvelous & PPP Tokyo

23/3/2022, Wednesday

6:30pm JST/8:30pm AEDT/9:30am GMT/5:30am EDT/2:30am PDT

Pro Wrestling NOAH Just Fine! 2022 Night 2
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Kai Fujimura vs Tadasuke
Funky Express (King Tany & Mohammed Yone) vs Kinya Okada & Masaaki Mochizuki
Alejandro, Daisuke Harada & Junta Miyawaki vs Los Perros del Mal de Japon (Kotaro Suzuki, NOSAWA Rongai & Super Crazy)
HAYATA & Kaito Kiyomiya vs Yasutaka Yano & Yoshinari Ogawa
Daiki Inaba, Masa Kitamiya & Yoshiki Inamura vs Hideki Suzuki, Masato Tanaka & Takashi Sugiura
Eita vs YO-HEY
Atsushi Kotoge, Haoh, Kazuyuki Fujita & Naomichi Marufuji vs Kongo (Hajime Ohara, Kenoh, Manabu Soya & Nioh)
Go Shiozaki vs Katsuhiko Nakajima
Live on Abema & I don't have a link for you right now

GLEAT G Prowrestling Ver.20
Shinjuku FACE, Tokyo
BULK Orchestra (Hayato Tamura & KAZMA SAKAMOTO) vs Stronghearts (CIMA & Issei Onitsuka)
Kaho Matsushita, Tsukasa Fujimoto & Yappy vs Madeline, Michiko Miyagi & Yukari Hosokawa
Leo Isaka & Yu Iizuka vs Masato Kamino & TiiiDA
Kaz Hayashi vs Nobuhiro Shimatani
BULK Orchestra (Quiet Storm & Ryuichi Kawakami) vs Stronghearts (El Lindaman & T-Hawk)
Jun Tonsho, Keiichi Sato & Tetsuya Izuchi vs Minoru Tanaka, Soma Watanabe & Takanori Ito
Probably ploaded to Youtube on a Thursday at Noon GMT. Probably this coming Thursday but I can't say for sure And maybe it'll be live? Whenever it's available I'll post a link.

24/3/2022, Thursday

6:30pm JST/8:30pm AEDT/9:30am GMT/5:30am EDT/2:30am PDT

Pro Wrestling NOAH Just Fine! 2022 Night 3
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo
Daiki Inaba vs Naomichi Marufuji
Go Shiozaki, Kaito Kiyomia & Takashi Sugiura vs Kongo (Katsuhiko Nakajima, Kenoh & Manabu Soya)
GHC National Title: Masakatsu Funaki(c) vs Hideki Suzuki
Rest of card TBA
Live on Wrestle Universe

25/3/2022, Friday

Only a Colega show

FatBagzJones
Apr 29, 2021
DDT Judgement 3.20 will have English commentary by Baliyan Akki, Hiroshi Arai & Christelle Ciari

https://twitter.com/ddtproENG/status/1504095432426762243?t=gbXqzdogOsd1Qpm5wc1B8A&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GLEAT G Prowrestling 19 is on YouTube 5 hours from this post, 11am GMT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iLCvYkvbe0