Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

This already got the LGBT nom, so also:

Kellies Nomination: Worst Concern Trolling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

gently caress. You. Jeff.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Hihohe posted:

This is the RADDEST skeleton ive ever seen

It has buff human arms so I think it's technically a Skeletor.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

I like how despite labeling that this is Ireland at the top, and putting a 'Welcome to Ireland' sign right behind the dude speaking, he still puts the couple in green, with a clover on the dude's hat, just in case you happen to miss these folks are supposed to be Irish.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Bob have you considered the concept of it not still being the 1980s

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: We Will Never Be so Stupid Again until We Are

Ted Rall posted:

This is a really stupid country and it gets even stupider during war. After war fever abides and people calm down, they inevitably look back and wonder what the hell they were thinking. Then it happens all over again.

First Dog on the Moon: What if we DO want Scott Morrison to be someone else?!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Trapezium Dave posted:

drat weird how every war has violence and lynching except that last one.
Then again knowing the US some Russian or even Russian-looking civilians almost certainly have been assaulted by now.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i think the the protestant/catholic comic is a reference to an old joke with a jewish guy instead of refugees

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Kellies Nomination: Worst gaslighting.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
No, covid is definitely gone! I've seen at least a dozen other conservatives say it.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

moonmazed posted:

i think the the protestant/catholic comic is a reference to an old joke with a jewish guy instead of refugees

Heard both "are ye a Protestant Jew or a Catholic Jew" and "...Protestant or Catholic atheist" before. Might as well add Protestant Orthodox or Catholic Orthodox...

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

kartikeya posted:

lol, remember when Prickly City had like three strips with a refugee crossing the southern border asking for help? And it was just a disembodied hand and a word bubble? They sat around doing nothing while this disembodied hand reached out, fretting over how sad it was, and then did absolutely nothing when some ICE agent with a whip hauled the disembodied hand off and it was never mentioned again.

What I'm saying is, the disembodied hand is going to come back to run against Carmen during the next election cycle.
There was a storyline over the course of a week or two where Carmen was literally chased by an off-screen Joe Arpaio, then took shelter with Winslow's family (with a few anti-trans remarks), then this was all immediately forgotten.

moonmazed posted:

That or this one with fewer steps:

quote:

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Trapezium Dave posted:

This would probably have more impact if he hadn't stuck the last panel next to "a bunch of murders", "concentration camps", and "dogs dying to "rampaging mobs". I mean, and also if his last few cartoons weren't all about how it's just silly to be mad at Russia or support Ukraine.

I did a quick google search on the dog thing. Both German Shepherds and Dachshunds were renamed (this I already knew). As for people just offing dogs, I see repeated references to what I'm assuming was the same incident, which, if it happened at all (there doesn't seem to be any actual evidence that it did, no contemporary newspaper articles, etc), was the stoning to death of a dachshund in...the UK. Which I see a bunch of urban legends about on random dog sites, which go from "someone killed a dachshund by stoning/stomping" to "dachshunds were 'routinely kicked or stoned to death in the UK" to "this definitely happened in the US too, just roving mobs of dog killers out for dog blood". I haven't seen anything about German Shepherd murders at all. Naturally, Rall repeats an unsubstantiated claim about dogs being stoned to death without even trying to verify it, and he does it by depicting...a dachshund with its head cut off.

There was a mass pet slaughter during WW2, again in the UK and not the States, which had nothing to do with anti-German sentiment, but instead some tragic hysteria over air raids.

By the way, he's being misleading about the freedom fries thing too, in the same way he claimed the other day that Americans didn't protest the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Some rando diphshit with a restaurant in North Carolina looked at the WW1 food renaming and decided he was going to do the modern jingoistic adaptation, and then some Republican dipshit in the House got the House cafeterias to change the name and tried to make it a thing. It was not, in fact, much of a thing, and most people thought it was stupid.

I mention this largely because this bit in the wikipedia article is funny:

quote:

Opposing the name change, The Saturn Cafe in Santa Cruz, California, changed their menu to "Impeach George W. Bush fries."[18]

tl;dr Rall is a loving hack.

kartikeya fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 16, 2022

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

FFT posted:

There was a storyline over the course of a week or two where Carmen was literally chased by an off-screen Joe Arpaio, then took shelter with Winslow's family (with a few anti-trans remarks), then this was all immediately forgotten.

That or this one with fewer steps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3fAcxcxoZ8

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

kartikeya posted:

Remember how he brought up A Confederacy of Dunces and couldn't be arsed to get the author's name right.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Yeah gently caress this guy. Who, based on the context of the comic, I must assume this is the one who made all the decisions that prevented us from transitioning away from fossil fuels and not a random vehicle owner who is trapped in a car culture with no say in how cities are designed or the economy is run.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

kartikeya posted:

Also, dunno specifically about "firing Russian musicians, cancelling russian operas, ... and changing the salad topping to 'Ukranian Dressing'", and I'm sure those things have happened (though the "Ukranian Dressing" almost certainly was a joke), but the "banning Russian Blue cats" bit is hilariously hacky:

quote:

The Board of FIFe feels it cannot just witness these atrocities and do nothing, so it decided that as of 01.03.2022:
● No cat bred in Russia may be imported and registered in any FIFe pedigree book outside Russia, regardless of, which organization issued its pedigree.
● No cat belonging to exhibitors living in Russia may be entered at any FIFe show outside Russia, regardless of, which organization these exhibitors hold their membership in.
These restrictions are valid until 31.05.2022 and will be reviewed as and when necessary.
For three months (maybe more), cats born in Russia can't be registered in other countries and cat exhibitors in Russia can't enter shows outside of Russia.

It's such a dumb story lmao

Apparently FIFe "represent[s] more than 100,000 individual members. It organizes more than 700 shows per year exhibiting more than 200,000 cats" which is a minimum average of 285 cats per show (because "Feline Fanciers" are definitely hitting multiple shows per year) which is straight up horrifying anyway!

... I'm learning that apparently a record was set 2019-12-14 and 15 of 5,284 dogs in competition for the title of American Kennel Club National Champion (and that was only about half of the total number dogs competing) and I'm feeling like I've dealt damage directly to my brain.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

hooman posted:

Yeah gently caress this guy. Who, based on the context of the comic, I must assume this is the one who made all the decisions that prevented us from transitioning away from fossil fuels and not a random vehicle owner who is trapped in a car culture with no say in how cities are designed or the economy is run.
There's a kinda valid criticism in pointing out that over the course of 50 years the strawman has consistently downgraded fuel efficiency while also consistently complaining about gas prices.

But also that strawman dude definitely got plenty of lead exposure and is almost certainly a total rear end in a top hat in 2022.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

FFT posted:

Also, dunno specifically about "firing Russian musicians, cancelling russian operas, ... and changing the salad topping to 'Ukranian Dressing'", and I'm sure those things have happened (though the "Ukranian Dressing" almost certainly was a joke), but the "banning Russian Blue cats" bit is hilariously hacky:

Most of the others are European actions and several are also false or misleading.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

FFT posted:

Forgotten to the point that a few weaks later there were a couple of strips of catdog freaking out that he couldn't find Carmen and assuming that ICE kidnapped her, only for her to show up and say nothing happened and act incredulous and condescending at the notion that she'd have anything to fear from the border police.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vib Rib posted:

No, covid is definitely gone! I've seen at least a dozen other conservatives say it.

Covid has gone quantum, it simultaneously exists and doesn't exist depending on which point you're wanting to make in an argument.

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

Variations on a Theme:

Tina Garrison: timid linework paired unflatteringly with rigid lettering; traced caricature; childish grasp of color and shading; maximum bpp (bigotry per pixel).

Tom Stiglich: adequate linework and coloring; caricature copied without attribution from Elisabeth Louise Vigée Le Brun.

Henry Payne: BIG CAR; execution of subject matter reveals awareness of target audience's limited background knowledge ("No one's gonna get my sick reference unless I include her name and the full quote").

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm a little shocked that payne dared to make it seem like an electric car could be bigger and nicer than his gasoline guzzling vroom vrooms. although that might just be a function of him wanting to include as many labels on it as possible.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Payne's love of cars is very funny. Imagine the first time he drew one and he had a revelation. He saw the perfect metaphor, for any possible situation.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Do we have any proof that Payne isn't in fact a car himself?
Think about it folks.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Why if this madness continues we'll next be preventing wrongfully fired former LA Times cartoonists from making a living off making propaganda for Russian state media!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Boris Johnson’s visit to Saudi Arabia – The prime minister is facing scrutiny over a planned trip to Saudi Arabia to push for an increase in oil output amid an outcry over the regime’s biggest ever mass execution"

Telegraph:

EU says it needs five years to wean itself off Russian energy

Matt:

‘They’re lying to you’: Russian TV employee interrupts news broadcast

Independent:

Times:

After Rosa Parks.

Evening Standard:

Russia suffering ‘heavy losses’ as they face ‘sustained’ Ukraine resistance, says Britain

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I appreciate Germany being mentioned neither in the "WW II"-panel, the "didn't join Iraq"-panel nor the "denazification operation of ukraine"-panel.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 16, 2022

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Mr. Squishy posted:

Payne's love of cars is very funny. Imagine the first time he drew one and he had a revelation. He saw the perfect metaphor, for any possible situation.

in order to attain enlightenment, one must accept the car into their heart. Om mani padme vroom.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

TULSI HANGS TEN ON ROMNEY’S LIES

The Neocon knives are out for Tulsi Gabbard, but she is too sharp for them. Mitt Romney denied the US had built bio labs in Ukraine. He accused Gabbard of “parroting false Russian propaganda” in regard to them. He went on to say, “Her treasonous lies may well cost lives.” Wrong, Mittens. Your warmongering will cost lives—perhaps many millions of them.

As it turns out the facts are on Tulsi’s side. The State Department’s Victoria Nuland had already confirmed at a Senate hearing that there were indeed many bio labs existing in Ukraine and they contained dangerous pathogens. A Pentagon fact sheet revealed that the US has been funding them to the tune of $200 million dollars.

The Deep State Neocons including Romney, Adam Kinzinger, Lindsay Graham, and John Bolton aren’t alone in their warmongering. Many Democrats are banging war drums as well. The notoriously bloodthirsty Hillary Clinton accused Gabbard of being an agent for Putin as well—and without any facts whatsoever. Still, it’s not about facts—it’s about blatantly smearing a political opponent personally. Gabbard has served in the military, while many of warmongers have avoided it. They’d rather encourage others to fight for them.

While I can’t agree with Tulsi Gabbard on many issues, I respect her speaking truth to the warmongers. Like Jimmy Dore, she wants truth first and foremost and not partisan politics. When she’s over the target she catches a lot of flak from the globalist Deep State Swamp politicians. They are the real traitors.

— Ben Garrison

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Cowcaster posted:

i'm a little shocked that payne dared to make it seem like an electric car could be bigger and nicer than his gasoline guzzling vroom vrooms. although that might just be a function of him wanting to include as many labels on it as possible.

I think that's what's why I find Payne so hilarious. For someone who is so obsessed with cars that he puts one in nearly every single one you's think he'd at least try to make them look like... well, a car. But Payne just draws every single vehicle like a three year old would. A normal cartoonist would try to do something like make the EV appear small and weak next to the big strong gas car but Payne just makes the EVs the same amorphous blobs as everything else, just with an "EV" label on it somewhere to let you it's bad.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Broelman:

Rowe:

Herbert:

Wilcox:

Knight:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Labor's Penny Wong, Kristina Keneally and Katy Gallagher. Leak's paper The Australian has a paywalled exclusive titled "How Labor's 'mean girls' ostracised Kimberly Kitching', Kitching the late Labor senator who died of a heart attack last week. A non-paywalled article: ‘Extraordinarily disrespectful’: Albanese hits back after Labor senators dubbed ‘mean girls’ (Guardian).

Warren Brown:

The "mean girls" story, same as above.

Lethbridge:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ukraine is running out but Russian tanks are a big solid object that will not fall through?

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Kellies nomination: worst "a thing happened cartoon". There isn't really a joke here, just a leprechaun.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Nenonen posted:

Ukraine is running out but Russian tanks are a big solid object that will not fall through?

It's actually impressive how badly he failed with the metaphor and how much infinitely better the exact same premise would have worked if only the tank was in the bottom of the hourglass.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

congratulations to jimmy dore on receiving the ben garrison endorsement. you really earned it buddy

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Tulsi is about to slam right into that sand and have the wave smash over her. RIP

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I can't believe a cartoonist drew Tulsi ending her sentence with an unrelated ALOHA, and it isn't mocking her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Dear Putin eyes snake,

You have the power to end this nightmare. You know what you must do.

Sincerely,

The SA Politoons thread