Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Why does radagon’s teleport do damage
How do you roll away from that
Dumb
Hate this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Crafting is kind of a free kick machine that everyone ignores too. You can make some good stuff in there.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

poe meater posted:

At 60 strength, I should be able to punch a hole through enemies with my bare fists! Not 10 damage!

Aren't there metal boxing gloves?

I know it's not the same, but I bet they're fun.

I'd love to see something like hand wraps that count as a weapon and have silly strength scaling like a STR 1 does 1 damage and a STR 99 does like 2000 damage

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

The game design is begging you to engage with the new mechanics and stuff people ignored in past Souls Games. Spirit Ashes, Ashes of War, and OP boss/unique weapons.

This is a PVP build, and I admit I don't know much about past Souls PVP stuff, but I'm very curious to try out an arcane build for myself now after watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My8wz434d1A

Just wrecking people with bleed/rot/frost/poison. Curious how it would perform in PVE content.

Playthrough 2, gonna try getting more into the crafting system. Only real complaint is that there are too many recipe books to find, but its clear that was to encourage more exploration as well.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Charles 1998 posted:

The alternative is just having the items drop in the world, which gives the player less agency in what they can acquire.

Its the same agency, except now also we can't have stores carry the items you want because nobody would interface with the crafting system otherwise

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

AcidCat posted:

The one major design fail in this game is the crafting system, for every player that actually uses this crap, Id guess 20 ignore it. You dont need it. And even if you dont want to engage with it, there are constant disappointments when you loot something only to be awarded some random crafting bs. Doesnt feel good in a game that doesnt need more ways not to feel good.

the worst one was arteria leaf. technically theyre all equally worthless to me, but you could sometimes get afeeling of like "hmm that white sparkle is full of poo poo i just know it, and youd be right 9 times out of 10" and then there are ones "oh yeah thats a juicy one, a real thing there for sure" and you'd usually be right but if you werent it was always arteria leaf. they seemed to treat that one like an actual prize we'd be excited about and i resented it for it.

there's a real issue with needing more loot rewards than there are to give. or they start doing annoying poo poo like giving out sets of armour one piece at a time spread out across a map.

golden runes are also poo poo loot, they were in past souls games too.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The only time I used the crafting system is when I made some Fire Pots in the middle of a cave full of plants. But the pots did basically 0 damage compared to my regular attacks, so I never bothered with the system again. It might have benefited from being able to craft fewer but stronger items.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Gold chicken feet and the various boluses would like to have a word with the crafting naysayers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Gold chicken feet and the various boluses would like to have a word with the crafting naysayers.

Never needed them. I just walked through the swamp of rot chugging flasks rather than deal with that garbage.

Crafting in general, I don't like, and its actively bad in Elden Ring since it de-streamlines the soul as currenct and xp system.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
never used the feet but made poison boluses one at a time to use on demand which is less annoying than forgetting and dying to poison like in most souls games. but then theres just a hundred things i dont need, elemental versions of each thing. i aint makin arrows then ten they give you is more than enough for the whole game.

wedgie deliverer posted:

Playthrough 2, gonna try getting more into the crafting system. Only real complaint is that there are too many recipe books to find, but its clear that was to encourage more exploration as well.

i do wonder if theres some kind of build out there that relies on throwing pots and throwing knives, no real weapons.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Did the thing with the merchants

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

JBP posted:

Crafting is kind of a free kick machine that everyone ignores too. You can make some good stuff in there.

You can never go wrong with being able to make 99 rot and bleed arrows on demand.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The real thing I hate about the crafting system is that it fucks up your rhythm on your pouch slots. It's already a scramble to switch between pots and flask to get the right thing in the middle of a fight, but with two or more things to cycle through (knives, throwing pots, greases, rune arcs, the mini-spell FP-for-effect stuff) it's a not worth the rhythm disruption in a hard fight. Having 9 spell slots is also complicated when you're trying to pick out the one you need at a moment's notice.

And yeah, the items are very mediocre. A throwing knife that did 100-200 damage would be less than a glintstone pebble or lightning spear (significantly less), but they do like 16 damage and are only useful for baiting the AI to pull enemies out of groups or off walls/ceilings.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

BisbyWorl posted:

You can never go wrong with being able to make 99 rot and bleed arrows on demand.
yeah you can, which sword shoots arrows lol

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Aren't there metal boxing gloves?

I know it's not the same, but I bet they're fun.

I'd love to see something like hand wraps that count as a weapon and have silly strength scaling like a STR 1 does 1 damage and a STR 99 does like 2000 damage

Cestus are literally just hardened leather boxing gloves with iron rivets in them. It's as close as you can get to bare knuckles in this game.

Khanstant posted:

never used the feet but made poison boluses one at a time to use on demand which is less annoying than forgetting and dying to poison like in most souls games. but then theres just a hundred things i dont need, elemental versions of each thing. i aint makin arrows then ten they give you is more than enough for the whole game.

i do wonder if theres some kind of build out there that relies on throwing pots and throwing knives, no real weapons.

I mean Kukris cause bleed so once you've loaded your target up with poison and rot you can just ranged bleed them until you run out of knives.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Steve Yun posted:

Did the thing with the merchants

lmao

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

How the gently caress
Do I beat radagon solo
If I try to go offensive, he shoves my face into the ground
If I try to punish, he recovers quickly enough to reverse-punish me

If I summon an ash, they survive the fight with 25% HP

I am level 160.
Do I just need to
git gudder

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

BisbyWorl posted:

Radahn is ESPECIALLY weak to both of those.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The crafting is too much, but it's great in the sense of the pots and having infinite types of grenades when you want.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yardbomb posted:

The crafting is too much, but it's great in the sense of the pots and having infinite types of grenades when you want.

The crafting definitely should have been pared down to consumables and single use combat tools like knives/pots/grease.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I really like the perfume mechanic

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
the crafting is uninteresting but it doesn't detract from my experience

about the only criticism I have is that the open world music is too repetitive and not very good. They need to figure out how to do the cool stuff Breath of the Wild does with overworld music

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

dodgeblan posted:

about the only criticism I have is that the open world music is too repetitive and not very good. They need to figure out how to do the cool stuff Breath of the Wild does with overworld music

I wish all the boss music was as good as Mohg, Lord of Blood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPP0imUw9ag

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

dodgeblan posted:

I love the fact that every region has a day time and night time version of their music.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It is kind of depressing to say that the most unique boss in the game is Rennala.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I always forget to make perfumes, argh

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you can be a real terror in invasions if you've got a lot of bottles and that charm that increases their damage. Put someone in a corner and then hit 'em with the pocket sand. Sh sh sha!

the most unique bosses in the game is patches (gives up halfway through) followed by radhan (if battled as intended i.e. summoning the boys and getting stuck in) and then rennala (very easy to punch to death)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I…never found Patches… :(

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

he's right next to that nerd that tried to invade you in limgrave with the blood dagger. Reduvia. that's the dagger's name, don't know the dude's name. Along the river north out of the lake

also I forgot Mimic Tear as a boss, unequip everything and it's fight club time

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Can anybody confirm if the jawbone axe deals strike damage? I need myself a strike weapon. The item description explicitly says it deals strike damage and it sounds like a strike weapon when swung, but it’s labeled a “standard” axe and I don’t want to get burned wasting smithing stones.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

I really like the perfume mechanic

i would like them more if the good ones didn't require absurdly rare mats that you either need to hellfarm for or cheatengine in

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it deals strike damage

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Babe Magnet posted:

it deals strike damage

Thanks fam

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

he's right next to that nerd that tried to invade you in limgrave with the blood dagger. Reduvia. that's the dagger's name, don't know the dude's name. Along the river north out of the lake

also I forgot Mimic Tear as a boss, unequip everything and it's fight club time

Go into the fight unarmored, then equip everything, then laugh as it helplessly tries to stop you.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

for reference a bunch of people are saying it does more damage to the stone miners (which are weak to strike) than similar axes. It's just the game being weird, it's a strike weapon. If you're really curious about it that's a way you could test it yourself.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Pollyanna posted:

It is kind of depressing to say that the most unique boss in the game is Rennala.

When she changes phases and it's on a watery plane with a full moon, and she summons an illusory dragon, I was pretty excited. Cool lady by my book.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Can we start theorizing what enemies, statuses, weapons and bosses will likely get balance patched first?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Turning up to lake of rot with enough poo poo to fill my inventory and back account with rot cures :whatup:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Hofnir tells me to go west from Laskyar for a cave with the second half of the haligtree medallion. does he mean the village of the albinaurics? that's not really a cave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I use crafting a lot because I use consumables a lot (I pretty frequently fill all 10 item slots). I don't mind it but the main problem is too many components only make one item or one type of item; you might as well just get the item when that's the case.

Also throwing knives are pretty good in this game. They scale hard with your dex/str, and they're very fast. Kukri also deal more damage than you'd expect and they can keep bleed buildup going when you're backing off a boss's aoe or w/e. Good for finishing, pulling, interrupts (a lot of enemies have no poise during certain "charging up" animations), you can use them on horseback, and they're basically free once runes are coming easy.

Pots have the traditional problem of always coming up way short when thrown from lockon. There's also a new problem this game introduces, which is FP costs for certain pot types and scaling based on non-physical stats. Like why the hell would someone invested in INT use a magic pot when they can just cast spells; the whole point is to give different damage types to consumables is to make them available without a stat investment. As is, any pot or similar type of FTH/INT/ARC scaling item is basically useless. Redmane fire pots, sleep pots and volcano pots are OK. Volcano pots actually have a pretty good AoE to them, so they'll hit even if the throw comes up way short.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Hofnir tells me to go west from Laskyar for a cave with the second half of the haligtree medallion. does he mean the village of the albinaurics? that's not really a cave.

I thought the same thing; just pretend that the village doesn't exist, follow his advice, and you'll find it along the west "wall" of Liurnia.