Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Small White Dragon posted:

This is certainly a great time to be a weapons manufacturer.
The truth of this world is that is never not a good time to be a weapons manufacturer :eng99: Best you can hope for;

"I think you will find
When your death takes its toll
All the money you made
Will never buy back your soul"

EDIT: woof, page snipe. A few more sentiments;

"And I hope that you die
And your death will come soon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SourKraut posted:

Coming back from the dead would be another military advantage

Just as long as they don't stuff Him into one of those mobile crematoriums before three days elapse. That would be... awkward.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I guess it never occurred to me to make "a claymore mine, but you launch it out of a mortar and then it flies a few miles away and blows something up", but that's why I'm in medical research and not defense research I guess. Doubt it would do much to a tank or BMP, but uh, that does not seem to be a major issue so far for Ukraine. :v:

gay picnic defence posted:

This conflict is going to replace a bunch of weapons expos. Who needs a fancy stall and a slick display when you can just mail a bunch of stuff to Ukraine and ask them to film it blowing poo poo up.
They seem to be pretty good at it too, the footage coming out of this conflict from almost every source has been crazy.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Ukraine should steal the kuznetsov.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Zero_Grade posted:

I guess it never occurred to me to make "a claymore mine, but you launch it out of a mortar and then it flies a few miles away and blows something up", but that's why I'm in medical research and not defense research I guess. Doubt it would do much to a tank or BMP, but uh, that does not seem to be a major issue so far for Ukraine. :v:

They seem to be pretty good at it too, the footage coming out of this conflict from almost every source has been crazy.

You’d be able to fire off a couple to soften up any mobile AA and let the TB2s take out the heavy stuff. I think their greatest value would be for harassing convoys because a single dude can carry a couple of them and pop off a few trucks without putting themselves in any real danger or retaliation.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I know this is said a lot, but it really is depressing how much money, resources, and intelligence goes into creating military weapons.

Like I know the reasons why, but for gently caress sake humanity.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
The thought of advancing into an area swarming with flying with claymores would get me to nope the gently caress out immediately.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
In regards to Ukrainian offensive operations, if they intend to do anything with armor this will probably be the last week for awhile in most places in and around Kiev. I am not sure how the ground is in the South, but in the North/East you get the tank eating mud and next week it looks like Spring is arriving with temps staying above 0 C at night and warm and sunny during the day. I dare say even the Ukrainian farmers will be hesitant to collect Russian armor in these conditions.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

dr_rat posted:

I know this is said a lot, but it really is depressing how much money, resources, and intelligence goes into creating military weapons.

When people like Putin exist and are prone to invading neighbouring countries it’s not really surprising.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

gay picnic defence posted:

When people like Putin exist and are prone to invading neighbouring countries it’s not really surprising.

yeah not surprising, just depressing.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Especially since a substantial chunk of this is pure grift. Pretty sure Lockheed and Boeing are charging about 10x more than it actually costs them to make anything simply because of the relative monopoly they have on the US military and influence on their politics. And they make stuff that kinda works, as we're seeing with Russia some companies do the same grift and don't deliver at all.

Unfortunately Cold War 2 means this will only be getting worse, governments left, right and center are all going to be boosting defense spending. Thanks Putin!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

We're gonna need more tractors.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

his last words: Боже моооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооййййййййййййййййййййййййй

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Oh Robert is swinging for the fences recently. Apparently, someone in Congress is pushing to bring back letters of marque in seizing the maritime property of "certain Russian individuals"...
https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1503967184237735937?s=20&t=1uBCM9l-nivYLJuLmxDkuA

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Trump posted:

The thought of advancing into an area swarming with flying with claymores would get me to nope the gently caress out immediately.

I'm just waiting for some army to go all in on cheap disposable drones. Take a $2000 consumer level drone, add a raspberry pi and GPS unit, duct tape on a grenade, and for the costs of a single armored vehicle you could send swarms of literally thousands of the things to constantly harass enemy troops.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/LucasADWebber/status/1503867607736274953

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN9YlThJ7I8

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Senor Tron posted:

I'm just waiting for some army to go all in on cheap disposable drones. Take a $2000 consumer level drone, add a raspberry pi and GPS unit, duct tape on a grenade, and for the costs of a single armored vehicle you could send swarms of literally thousands of the things to constantly harass enemy troops.

The only thing stopping this right now is targeting. How do you get your flying grenade to be able to find and kill people, how do you make sure it only kills enemy soldiers. As-is almost all drones require a guy doing the thinking, so it's hard to put out thousands of them.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Senor Tron posted:

This very much is already a thing. Hell it was a thing 5 years ago, albeit not in swarms

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

good, I hope he died in some comically shameful way and doesn't become a martyr

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

The "mujahedeen special" as seen by ISIS, Kurdish Peshmerga, and other rebel groups in Syria. They even have 3D-printed adapters for Russian 30mm high-velocity grenades, because those are more plentiful than the automatic grenade launchers that use them.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Maybe now they’ve finally done a denazification they can gently caress off back to Russia.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

raverrn posted:

The only thing stopping this right now is targeting. How do you get your flying grenade to be able to find and kill people, how do you make sure it only kills enemy soldiers. As-is almost all drones require a guy doing the thinking, so it's hard to put out thousands of them.

Don’t worry, they’re already working on that one :shepface:

https://youtu.be/DjUdVxJH6yI

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 16, 2022

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I know this is a stupid question because it's the question and has probably already been talked about at length in this thread but it's still all I can think about

What happens after this?

Because win or lose, the damage has been done. Putin's reputation as a shrewd and calculating strong man is in shambles. A major world power's army has spent the last three weeks in an embarrassing loving clown show invasion that has resorted to just throwing their hands up and war criming as they can to accomplish their goal. The Russian economy is likely going to be devastated for gently caress knows how long, And even if - and it's wild that this is even an "if" at this point - Russia takes Kyiv, pops Zelenskyy, does the "Mission Accomplished" song and dance there's still almost certainly going to be enough Ukrainian rebels to make life for an occupying force or puppet government a living Hell for decades to come.

Obviously Russia keeps the security that a nuclear deterrent gives you but uranium isn't going to feed a starving populace when most of the world treats your country like it's a leper colony. What is being accomplished? What's the endgame? Why is this still loving going on?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Hey it's a topic I know about - from the US side of things.

-The US has been preparing for an uber (no nuke) d-day 2.0 invasion since the first one happened. MSC is hundreds of retired ships that are kept in just above functional status by civilians that kinda rolls up to the Navy. Grey/Yellow/Blue (heh) is their colors - if you live in a port city and have ships that are painted kinda like navy ships but don't see guns - that's probably MSC.
-MSC's fleet includes a huge amount of oil supply stuff. They're pretty much ready to setup a full pipeline from coast out 2 miles into the ocean immediately after some invasion. It's impressive.
-MSC poo poo is all old. Lotta retired civilian cargo & oil ships that are expensive to build, lot cheaper to keep around for this war.

-MSVL is the US's Army's new landing craft. You may have to walk on a touch of water (<1m), but in general this poo poo rams hard into the shore, as soon as they're debarked it "springs" back out with a couple arms to deshore & go back for more. Getting off the shore quickly is critical. These bad boys can carry tanks, APCs, troops, whatever. 4 foot draft (how deep it goes) fully loaded with tanks. Crazy big upgrade.

All that being said... this is the US Army/Marine's new poo poo plus decades of Navy build up, Russia is significantly behind. Now there won't be d-day style bunkers & troops running into that. The Russians have enough air/naval control to blow away any proper entrenchment. But they will be dealing with the few meters of water/beach deployment issues & not have many/any heavy tanks with the attack - it's very prone to ambush/guerilla attacks.

The few meters of water that the US has eliminated but the Russians have not can't be understated, largely because this:

But also - resupply ships have to be too close to shore/use docks which expose them to attacks. Fuel can't be safely pumped in non-stop from way out in the ocean/sea. Helicopters straight up can't be ferried in via the old landing craft.

There are many factual errors in this post.

For starters: The RRF are part of MARAD’s NDRF. They are not MSC vessels.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I check this thread because I think it's a good source of information, but then I read through it and find an entire page of goons arguing that you won't get wet from being in a boat...

I'm a bit worried about this talk of a counter-offensive. The Russians are obviously struggling but a failed counter attack by over confident Ukrainian forces send exactly the sort of thing that could swing the war back in Russia's favour. It might speak to Ukraine's desperation as much as anything else.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Russia keeps using cruise missiles to attack Kyiv and it seems like all they hit are residential high rises, wtf man

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I check this thread because I think it's a good source of information, but then I read through it and find an entire page of goons arguing that you won't get wet from being in a boat...

I'm a bit worried about this talk of a counter-offensive. The Russians are obviously struggling but a failed counter attack by over confident Ukrainian forces send exactly the sort of thing that could swing the war back in Russia's favour. It might speak to Ukraine's desperation as much as anything else.

A failed counter offensive isnt going to swing the war. The overlying factors still favor Ukraine vastly. Also between Ukraine being over confident or desperate pick one.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Trump posted:

Russia keeps using cruise missiles to attack Kyiv and it seems like all they hit are residential high rises urban sniper observation nests, wtf man

FTFY

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

On the subject of stuck vehicles it makes me wonder whether the Russians don't have recovery teams, or just not enough of them. Vehicle recovery teams would normally be part of any large movement to avoid exactly what we keep seeing.

I think the recovery vehicles are stuck and/or out of fuel.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Recovery teams probably aren't going to venture to hot frontlines while the UA army is still active.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

I know this is a stupid question because it's the question and has probably already been talked about at length in this thread but it's still all I can think about

What happens after this?

Because win or lose, the damage has been done. Putin's reputation as a shrewd and calculating strong man is in shambles. A major world power's army has spent the last three weeks in an embarrassing loving clown show invasion that has resorted to just throwing their hands up and war criming as they can to accomplish their goal. The Russian economy is likely going to be devastated for gently caress knows how long, And even if - and it's wild that this is even an "if" at this point - Russia takes Kyiv, pops Zelenskyy, does the "Mission Accomplished" song and dance there's still almost certainly going to be enough Ukrainian rebels to make life for an occupying force or puppet government a living Hell for decades to come.

Obviously Russia keeps the security that a nuclear deterrent gives you but uranium isn't going to feed a starving populace when most of the world treats your country like it's a leper colony. What is being accomplished? What's the endgame? Why is this still loving going on?

No one knows. I mean the war is still going on, it's too early to really wonder what will happen after because there's no way to tell when this drat thing will end. It's too early to tell who will even win it even though Russias performance has been a lot worse than most people expected.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Sure, as long as it's stuff that the U.S. government wouldn't mind possibly falling into Russian hands at some point.

Trump was President for 4 years, I'm sure Russia has all the schematics by now.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Skex posted:

Trump was President for 4 years, I'm sure Russia has all the schematics by now.

Watch that treasonous talk! Trump was a real asset to this country. Well, someone's country, anyway

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Blockhouse posted:

What happens after this?

Putin is clearly fine with the country being locked up behind a new Iron Curtain for him to do whatever he pleases with. The military outcome doesn't really matter, it's going to happen in either case, and it will be nasty. Not that it hadn't gotten nasty already, but there are always ways to get nastier.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I really wonder how all of this would have worked out, if Trump was in charge. He would have probably demanded countersanctions against all countries who prolong the sufferings of war by sanctioning the clear designated winner Russia.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

What happens after this?

It's probably got talked about the most before we realized Ukraine were actually putting up a good defense and wouldn't get steam rolled in 2 days. The most important thing IMO is that US and Europe maintain their resolve (Biden said the effects of sanctions would take months to set in) and keep Putin's Russia ostracized from the global community. The tricky bit will be if he conquers Ukraine, then comes to the negotiating table in "good faith" with his people suffering under sanctions. We want regime change, we can't invade militarily, we don't want to give him any concessions. What then?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Senor Tron posted:

That’s basically what the switchblade is, isn’t it? A quick googling says the cost is like six grand all in. And the thing only weighs 6 lbs, so a single soldier can carry a handful at a time.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

headspace posted:

The more right wing the better. Maybe they will try to lift the siege of Kiev with winged hussars.

Please no, it's already rapidly approaching Hungary and doesn't appear to be stopping. The war appears to shut up at least some of the rabid anti-EU elements, but who knows if it will last (probably not for long, since there're already voices about EU needing to drop fines on Poland for anti-democracy stuff in the name of unity).

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

AJA posted:

The truth of this world is that is never not a good time to be a weapons manufacturer :eng99: Best you can hope for;

Sadly, that may be true, I guess I meant this will be a great (better?) time to be one.

(German Arms manufacturer)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

What happens after this?

My thoughts are based on the following broad assumptions:
- Russia cannot sustain the level of military and economic effort required to keep this war going for more than a month or so.
- The western backers of Ukraine can sustain the level of military and economic effort required to keep Ukraine in the fight.
- Putin needs either a 'win' or a very convincing scapegoat before he can call off the invasion and pack up his armies.
- China would very much like to bring Russia into it's sphere of influence.

Based on those I think Russia's military gains will peak soon and then they will slowly get pushed back as increasingly well armed Ukraine counterattacks against forces weakened by attrition, combat fatigue and lack of logistical support. I think peace talks become much more productive at that point because the window will be closing for Russia to salvage something out of the debacle, and I think Russian state TV will start laying the groundwork for placing the blame for the whole thing on military leaders, intelligence officials and maybe western attempts to goad Russia into a war it didn't want to wage. Russia probably walks away with Crimea and a pledge from Ukraine not to join NATO or something like that while Ukraine gets the Donbas back and reserves the right to join other mutual defence pacts that aren't NATO.

I think China probably helps Russia out and gives them enough support to keep going for a little longer. Not so much because they want the war to drag on but they really want to have strong influence over post war Russia so I think they'll attempt to walk the fine line of providing economic and military assistance to Russia without pissing off the US too much. India might be the same although they seem to be keeping a much lower profile, maybe because they can't afford to annoy the west too much if they want western assistance next time China tries to gently caress with them.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Over extending a counter offensive is a risk but even if it goes badly wrong it's probably limited to a single area of operations and wouldn't affect other parts of the conflict zone. From the information available it looks like there's lots of smaller scale counteroffensives rather than one big push against a localised Russian position so there's less risk to Ukraine's overall momentum if something goes wrong.

In terms of tactics, small counteroffensives are probably very effective at keeping Russian forces off balance, making it really hard to consolidate and replenish their troops in the field.