Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Old guy who jumped from the building probably won't survive and there's still at least one unaccounted for.

Even if the owner doesn't live here, surely they've heard by now. They've got some 'splaining to do, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Speaking of burgers, this week's Burger Scholar Sessions is on how to make a Burger with The Lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzlB7V23CNY

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Laserface posted:

reading about the place in the articles and some FB posts it seems that it was dodgy as gently caress and poorly maintained with one room not having enough space to easily open the door because a bed was blocking it.

Yeah, plenty of those places around the area. Stuff a bunch of lonely pensioners in a bunch of tiny bedsits, take in the rent, and never spend a cent.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Yeah, plenty of those places around the area. Stuff a bunch of lonely pensioners in a bunch of tiny bedsits, take in the rent, and never spend a cent.

Councils are complicit. They know these places are breaking all regulations but never inspect them and throw the book at the owners.

I wonder if any developers had approached the owner lately.

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin

Laserface posted:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...315-p5a4nm.html

Wondered what all the sirens were last night. pretty grim.

“It was a disaster waiting to happen. The outside is not too bad, but the inside is not too good.”

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Lolie posted:

Councils are complicit. They know these places are breaking all regulations but never inspect them and throw the book at the owners.

I doubt it, they go for big blocks atm the make massive footprint apartment blocks on, not pissy shoebox lots that cost a fortune that you have to buy out from under 10 or so different owners. It's too dense in that area for mass development, it's the business and commercial buildings they're snapping up in the area, like all the old warehouses in Camperdown that are now apartments and offices.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lolie posted:

Our food standards and those of NZ are some of the highest in the world.

America has just the worst food safety standards.

For instance, their allowable levels of things like rat faeces, insect "filth" and chemical contamination is just huge. The FDA Food Defect Levels Hankbook "allows for up to 13 “fragments” of rodent excreta in a 24-ounce (700ml) container."*

In the rest of the developed world, it's zero.

* a medium sized soft drink bottle is 600ml. Call me crazy, but if I found _12_ bits of rat poo poo in my Coke, I would not react well to being told it was legal.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

well why not posted:

I think when Subway hits, it his harder & when it misses it's absolutely beyond disgusting. KFC is always at least KFCish. Subway can go higher and lower because there's more factors.

I like McDonald's, or at least, what I can eat there. It is at least 50% too expensive for what you get.

I'm kinda lucky in that every KFC near me is owned by the one franchisee and they are all loving terrible. Soggy unsalted chips and limp greasy chicken. Is there any greater crime than a fast food place that's too goddamn cheap to even salt their chip? That sort of corner-cutting bullshit tells you everything you need to know, right there.

All the Subways are also owned by one family* but they're all incredibly clean and the food is great.

Which is great incentive to eat healthier.

* different family, natch. Big extended Indian family and just the nicest friendliest bunch. Sure as hell better than some faceless rich guy too cheap to even put salt on his loving chips.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 15, 2022

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Just got my PCR test result. A quick turnaround time, even though I don't need it now.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Strained my bloody calf out running
Not sure how bad it's going to turn out but I use running to help manage the depression so down time really blows.

Good thing I found some weights in someone's hard rubbish the other day, might give me something to do.

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

Lolie posted:

I do this all the time. I don't like their chips so when we order their meals I sub the chips for P&G and coleslaw.
go to gaol so you can enjoy more gaol food

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Lolie posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there were also an element of councils deciding maybe targeting landlords preying on the vulnerable is effectively the same as targeting the vulnerable, because... well, when these places get closed down, where are those residents going to go?

Note that I am not defending these places or these landlords, nor am I defending the councils. It's more I want there to be more acknowledgement that desperate people do desperate things (such as trading off between affordable, sheltered and safe), predators like the monster(s) who owner this place cheerfully exploit that, and councils are often dragged into the middle of the situation only once they've spun well and truly out of control and/or people have died/been injured as a result.

It's very easy for us to wax lyrical about how awful this situation is, but it would be very hard for us to tell however many people crammed into the illegal flophouse that society is so darn concerned about their "safety" that they're going to be turfed onto the street. After all, who would really believe that they would be safer sleeping in a park in the rain, at a shelter run by religious nutters, or couch surfing, than they are living in the place they could afford?

Everything is terrible. Ugh. Those poor people.

froglet fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 15, 2022

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

they got a suspect, supposedly a tenant

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-16/newtown-fire-police-investigate-suspicious-blaze/100912718

The article also suggests that someone was playing firebug with other houses in the area and that someone caught them trying to set their fence on fire - its not clear if this is the suspect or not, though.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Lawnmower guy is here and the grass is super long and soaking wet. Sigh.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What was the culture shock like when you moved to Australia?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
One of the magpies in my back yard caught a frog. I've never seen frogs in my yard before.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Lolie posted:

One of the magpies in my back yard caught a frog. I've never seen frogs in my yard before.

This could be the magpie saying "Hello!", or "You're loving next"

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Lolie posted:

with this much rain, everyone should have a frog or two in their yard.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Laserface posted:

with this much rain, everyone should have a frog or two in their yard.

Poor frog. Escaped the lawn mower only to get eaten by a magpie.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lolie posted:

Poor frog. Escaped the lawn mower only to get eaten by a magpie.

that frog was no angel

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Red Rooster have started pouring spicy, kind of sweet oil over their fried chicken as an option. It's uh, pretty fucken great. Hot and Spicy 3-piece box with the fried pineapple is just a hell of a thing. A messy affair.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
OOo they have something like that at Chicken V. I love it, it's like some kind of oily, spicy honey. I really like their chips there too.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What was the culture shock like when you moved to Australia?

The lack of any black or brown people was pretty startling. I came from living in a predominantly black area in the states to North Brizzy.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

That's Nashville hot chicken style by the sounds

gently caress, I am gonna annihilate some off diet. Craving it bad as well as dosa.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Poohs Packin posted:

The lack of any black or brown people was pretty startling. I came from living in a predominantly black area in the states to North Brizzy.

Strangely I had the same reaction moving from Brisbane to Canberra. Canberra is on a whole other level when it comes to (lack of) diversity.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Imma ask around and find out who Arsonist was. I have two suspicions.
No, 3.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

masterpine posted:

Red Rooster have started pouring spicy, kind of sweet oil over their fried chicken as an option. It's uh, pretty fucken great. Hot and Spicy 3-piece box with the fried pineapple is just a hell of a thing. A messy affair.

its grouse, OP

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Actually, four, but I haven't seen him around for some time now.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Actually, four, but I haven't seen him around for some time now.

they published the name of the accused in the article this morning.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Laserface posted:

they published the name of the accused in the article this morning.

Whoa, never saw that.

He's kinda familiar...

Still certain one of the old fellas out front in one of the pics from the fire is a regular at Kelly's.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
It's kind of funny the things that are coming out about Ben Roberts-Smith during the trial

Dudes a goddamn nutter

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

SuddenCactus posted:

It's kind of funny the things that are coming out about Ben Roberts-Smith during the trial

Dudes a goddamn nutter

Makes me think about how about a decade ago Yumi Stynes made some joke on TV about Ben trying to look for his brain down in the bottom of a swimming pool and the media and general public tore her to shreds over it. Hard to imagine that old mate who literally shoots people for work got so butthurt about it, I wonder how he's feeling about all this other stuff coming out about him

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bee posted:

Makes me think about how about a decade ago Yumi Stynes made some joke on TV about Ben trying to look for his brain down in the bottom of a swimming pool and the media and general public tore her to shreds over it. Hard to imagine that old mate who literally shoots people for work got so butthurt about it, I wonder how he's feeling about all this other stuff coming out about him

Didn't she make some joke about him having a small dick or something?
Like it was clear she was joking and people still got all worked up about it cos he has a vc

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The best thing about the Ben Roberts-Smith stuff is that most of this stuff would never have come out if HE didn't bring the lawsuit against the age himself..

Turns out a reputed media agency did it's research and had evidence for it's claims, but not only that, people were lining up to give evidence against him and document his war crimes.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
It's been such a poo poo show I keep forgetting Ben Roberts-Smith isn't the one on trial. He's just bringing this all on himself willingly. It's bizarre.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

SuddenCactus posted:

Dudes a goddamn nutter

Streisand Effect in full swing basically.

Like sure maybe one or two of the stories may have been embelished, but just day after day of

"And what did Mr Roberts-Smith say before he punched on?"
""

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

BrigadierSensible posted:

The best thing about the Ben Roberts-Smith stuff is that most of this stuff would never have come out if HE didn't bring the lawsuit against the age himself..

Turns out a reputed media agency did it's research and had evidence for it's claims, but not only that, people were lining up to give evidence against him and document his war crimes.

My favourite part so far is definitely BRS hiring a private eye to low-key threaten people, and then turning around and threatening the PI to keep his mouth shut.

Or maybe him burying and then digging up mycrimes.usb as soon as the war crimes investigation started.

He's just the world's worst criminal mastermind. (In my opinion only, please don't sue me BRS your reputation can't take anymore.)

Ed: the real criminals here are the investigators from the honours part of Defence, did they actually check with anyone before they slapped a VC on this guy?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure BRS is identified (redacted but I think he said he was investigated) in the Brereton report so he maybe felt that the bad stuff was out there anyway so may as well roll the dice in court

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Ben's just a smegma crazy born out of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

Poohs Packin posted:

echoing above I also had the reverse sensation when I left Australia for the first time and landed in London

It's obviously not the most non-white place in the world, but it felt like something out of a movie to be around so many black people.

It wasn't a bad experience just a striking one because it threw the cultural hegemony of Adelaide into sharp relief as a young adult please don't cancel me for this

masterpine posted:

gently caress me I gotta get some Red Rooster