Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Amy Poehler is not widely liked. Whole lot of people hate her schtick, just like Carrell these days.

I don’t believe either of these things to be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

It sounds like a very internet kind of opinion.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

oh jay posted:

It sounds like a very internet kind of opinion.

It’s called the bandwagon fallacy, and was a very popular turn of phrase with a recent president.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

I'm shocked that Conan was dismissed out of hand for making things about him if he served as Taskmaster.

Like, sure, he does that a lot on the shows named after him. But he knows a collaborative environment from SNL and the Simpsons. I never considered him as a taskmaster, but can totally see him balancing that ego vs. letting contestants shine. I just don't think he'd do it unless his HBO show tanks.

I'm a big Conan fan so I may have some bias here, but yeah thinking about it him as the Taskmaster and Richter in the on-screen assistant role seems like it'd work really well.

No matter what shape it takes, I feel like Taskmaster's going to keep being enough of an international success that someone in the U.S. is going to take another swing at it, even if it's basically the same concept but with just enough new wrinkles that they don't need to pay for the rights to adapt the show.

South Korea has tons of shows that are very similar to that Taskmaster vibe, and I feel like that audience would get on board with that vibe faster than American audiences, so I also wouldn't be surprised if we get a formal SK version of the show at some point.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

The_Doctor posted:

I'm sorry you're not tired of cringe comedy yet, apparently. I was sick of it before either of their shows were cancelled. They're both better in movies.

I still like 30 Rock but it's far too detached from reality to be cringe. That and Kenneth.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I'm a big Conan fan so I may have some bias here, but yeah thinking about it him as the Taskmaster and Richter in the on-screen assistant role seems like it'd work really well.

No matter what shape it takes, I feel like Taskmaster's going to keep being enough of an international success that someone in the U.S. is going to take another swing at it, even if it's basically the same concept but with just enough new wrinkles that they don't need to pay for the rights to adapt the show.

South Korea has tons of shows that are very similar to that Taskmaster vibe, and I feel like that audience would get on board with that vibe faster than American audiences, so I also wouldn't be surprised if we get a formal SK version of the show at some point.

A JP and an SK version would probably be right up their alley what with their own culture of variety stars, idols, and so forth.

A US version would always need to pay for the rights, but it'd be a matter of if the next company to take a swing at it would only need to pay Horne and his group managing the Taskmaster property or if they'd also need to pay Viacom or something.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm sorry you're not tired of cringe comedy yet, apparently. I was sick of it before either of their shows were cancelled. They're both better in movies.

I still like 30 Rock but it's far too detached from reality to be cringe. That and Kenneth.

Poehler is also a host of a reality show called Making It alongside Nick Offerman (who'd also be an excellent Taskmaster) and while she's fairly twee in it, it fits for a show that it also about making extremely twee things. Idk if you're way to focused on her in Parks and Rec and mistaking her character for the actress or not, but it seems like it.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 6, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I've watched Making It. It's okay. But I believe that's because of Offerman. Poehler is very tolerable in it, but I'd almost rather see Megan Mullally by his side for it, as their chemistry is just fantastic. They work on a lot of their projects together anyhow, being married. Poehler is a dime store personality in comparison to Mullally.

It's like someone at NBC watched bake off and said, "lets do that but with crafting!" NBC must have a slow mole in british tv.

E: Viacom is Paramount. They don't even own the rights to the lovely american taskmaster. I know because I got an email back about it a few weeks ago, when I was bitching about the lack of US taskmaster in their streaming lineup.

And I'm not mistaking character for actress with Poehler. Everything I've seen her in since SNL has done nothing but drive me further away. They Come Together was okay. But let's not forget Baby Mama, the dumbest thing I watched the year it was released.

E2: after some thinking, if you really want a woman as TM, give it to Whitney Cummings. She actually is funny, can riff offhand, and is a little bit scary. Poehler won't push a boundary, Cummings will get comfortable right on the edge.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 6, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

NowonSA posted:

yeah Conan is a weirdly good choice because in addition to meeting the minimum height requirements, he's also pretty prickly and willing to pretend to be hostile

if someone in America really tries to do a really proper go of it, i would not be surprised to see Alex being the assistant again

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

Conan isn't threatening enough. And you'd have to have somebody extra-able to shut down rowdy contestants to deal with Americans just with their air of authority.

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYgveD5B-V0

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I don't have a great suggestion for the Taskmaster, but when I think of the assistant I think Andy Daly.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Conan and Andy would actually be pretty spot on, on stage. I just have difficulty seeing Andy being a competent task administrator. Conan checks a lot of boxes though, tall, wears a suit well, has the chin for a proper trophy and the arrogance of knowing it.

If another US show happens, Alex needs to stay on the sidelines. Either bring Greg and have the pair work together, or farm the job out to someone we can see playing casually subservient. It didn't work with Watts and it probably wouldn't with anyone else.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My understanding is that the task assistant is usually the actual person who's doing all of the work and designing the tasks and figuring things out, and they need to be that because they do a lot of active managing on site, guiding everyone through the tasks, keeping them as intended, deciding how to handle the weird edge cases, etc. They're not just there as a comedic foil, so it's not really a position you cast for.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 7, 2022

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

MikeJF posted:

My understanding is that the task assistant is usually the actual person who's doing all of the work and designing the tasks and figuring things out, and they need to be that because they do a lot of active managing on site, guiding everyone through the tasks, keeping them as intended, deciding how to handle the weird edge cases, etc. They're not just there as a comedic foil, so it's not really a position you cast for.

Yeah it would probably have to be whoever is the showrunner.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

Terry Crews.

Hell yeah.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

In case anyone missed Alex's banger of a speech from the awards show they put it on their YT channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQKEdWSCrPE

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I just remembered a TMNZ task that I want the UK version to steal. Have one of the members of the three-person team try to sabotage a task without it being obvious. I thought that was a great twist and there's still a lot that can be done with it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

LesterGroans posted:

I just remembered a TMNZ task that I want the UK version to steal. Have one of the members of the three-person team try to sabotage a task without it being obvious. I thought that was a great twist and there's still a lot that can be done with it.

They had a task sort of like that in the UK version, although I forget which series it was. It was the one where they had each member of the team have conflicting objectives and they weren't explicitly told that they had to compete with each other (in fact they were absolutely being scored as a team and the smart move was to just tell each other what they were meant to do and find a way to cooperate) but one team 100% interpreted it this way and kept sabotaging each other and and no point did it occur to any of them to simply explain why they were doing what they were doing.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Give Scott Aukerman as producer an hour on TBS at 9pm.

Crews as host, Someone lesser known like Gemberling as assistant.

edit: Tina Fey as TM.

comedy edit: Jason Mantzoukas as TM

Beerdeer fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 11, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'd love to see Mantzoukas as a contestant. He's got that manic David Correos energy, and I think he'd be amazing. He's a UCB alum too, so he's got all that improv under his belt.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I've fallen behind on news for the UK show, we're still waiting on a 2nd champions episode right? And season 13 soon?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

They had a task sort of like that in the UK version, although I forget which series it was.

It was the bathtub task in season 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljLBbpnkK2c&t=1400s

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

I've fallen behind on news for the UK show, we're still waiting on a 2nd champions episode right? And season 13 soon?

Neither has a date announced but yeah, the Contest of Champions for series 6-10 has been filmed and Ed Gamble, the host of the Taskmaster podcast mentioned he'd seen the first episode of Season 13 so I assume it's not too far out. I imagine they'll put the Champion episode out first and then the series would start soon after.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

stev posted:

In case anyone missed Alex's banger of a speech from the awards show they put it on their YT channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQKEdWSCrPE

pro-click

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

itry posted:

pro-click

And is there anyone in the audience who wasn't on the show already, all the cutaways.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Amy Poehler is not widely liked. Whole lot of people hate her schtick

Bandwagoning, but what the gently caress. Anyway, she gets a big pass just for being a co-founder of the UCB. I also loved how she derailed this recent interview over her love for British comedy. https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/mar/10/amy-poehler-parks-and-rec-is-one-of-those-comedies-people-medicate-with

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Amy Poehler posted:

I haven’t heard a word you said because I’m still furiously trying to think of the best British comedies to seem cool. I’m too scared to even start naming because I have such deep reverence for British comedy. Americans my age felt very special when we got to discover it, like we were the only ones who knew who Garth Marenghi was. Gimme a minute.

My teenage daughter is my Classic British Comedy TV sidekick, but Darkplace is the one series she's bounced off. Hard. "It's just so bad," she says. "It's supposed to be bad! It's so bad it wraps all the way around to good, then keeps going to great!" I say.

In other news, I'm a couple episodes into Witchfinder and it's good. The constant under-the-breath insults and mutterings between Tim Key and Daisy May Cooper just seems so organic. It's like they bottled the relationship she had with Richard Herring in S10 of Taskmaster.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I really liked The Witchfinder too and the banter was top notch.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I agree that Darkplace is just bad to an unfunny place. Luckily, humor is subjective.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

happyhippy posted:

And is there anyone in the audience who wasn't on the show already, all the cutaways.

The UK entertainment/comedy scene is reportedly incredibly incestuous.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Darkplace to me is one that would've been a hilarious 15 minute skit, but the joke wears thin long before the six episodes are over.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

itry posted:

The UK entertainment/comedy scene is reportedly incredibly incestuous.

I read somewhere that all the UK comedians have the same manager, and either you're with that agency and get put on all the panel shows and Live at the Apollo variants, or you might as well be dead because nobody is ever going to hear about you.

And they all went to the same school and know each other from there.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

evobatman posted:

I read somewhere that all the UK comedians have the same manager, and either you're with that agency and get put on all the panel shows and Live at the Apollo variants, or you might as well be dead because nobody is ever going to hear about you.

Avalon

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Off The Kerb is the other big one.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

evobatman posted:

hosed up if true.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

itry posted:

hosed up if true.

:capitalism:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Alex Horne will be in Celebrity Bake Off on 22nd March!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

The_Doctor posted:

I'd love to see Mantzoukas as a contestant. He's got that manic David Correos energy, and I think he'd be amazing. He's a UCB alum too, so he's got all that improv under his belt.

he's deathly allergic to eggs iirc. i can't imagine an egg-free taskmaster, but I've seen a laugh-free version so who knows

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
NZ is presumably going to run short on contestants a bit faster than the UK

Al Murray will go to almost any lengths to do more Taskmaster.

Just need to wait for the cross-border flights to be viable...

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

evobatman posted:

Agency not manager.

School thing is bullshit considering the difference in ages etc.

The main reasons UK comedians all know each other -
Edinburgh
Relatively small country but with a large amount of comedy gigs small and large all over the place all year round.
Relatively small group of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Mr Beens posted:

School thing is bullshit considering the difference in ages etc.
Getting the connections from Oxbridge is still a massive foot up. And if you went to Oxbridge, there's a disproportionate likelihood you went to some private school.