Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cimber posted:

Ahh yes, having nuclear reactor crews be exhausted sounds like a great idea!

US Navy says hi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
The reactors are shut down, yes, but there's still spent fuel on-site which requires cooling. If they keep losing power or the cooling otherwise stops, they're going to have a disaster on hand.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Isn’t the cooling just a bunch of rods sitting in a pool of water

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

From a linked story about the same guy:

quote:

For Heikendorf's mayor Alexander Orth, the find is no surprise: "The man used it to trundle through Kitzeberg during the 1978 snow disaster."

But he couldn't say much about the owner: He lives very withdrawn and: "He has a certain weakness for certain things. You can have different opinions about that." He couldn't say whether that was illegal. "One loves steam trains, the other old tanks."

oh, just a nice old man...

quote:

Ten years later, local authorities were again tipped off after officials in Berlin searched the home for stolen Nazi art. During their search, they also came upon busts of Hitler, an Arno Breker bronze statue of a nude man that was reportedly once outside Hitler’s Reich Chancellery, mannequins outfitted in Nazi uniforms, swastika pendants, a V-1 rocket replica, and SS rune-shaped lamps.

:yikes:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Naked Bear posted:

The reactors are shut down, yes, but there's still spent fuel on-site which requires cooling. If they keep losing power or the cooling otherwise stops, they're going to have a disaster on hand.

Not entirely. Not a disaster. The spent fuel can easily air cool if the ponds evaporate, its old enough. They would not melt down.

Technically you only have to keep spent fuel actively cooled for 5 years or so before its moved into spent fuel drums. Chernobyl that's been a slow process since, really, nobody cares versus an active nuclear plant.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Looks like the Russians are gonna gently caress around with an amphibious landing in Odesa
https://twitter.com/CovertShores/st...ingawful.com%2F
I wonder what they will find out?

Perhaps that the water is 2 degrees Celsius? Or that the air is 0 Celsius? Whomst can say

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

local to me, a guy who has been involved for years with a nonprofit that finds homes for street dogs in Ukraine, got a bullet proof vest from the local sheriff and flew to Poland for some crazy John le Carré underground doggy railroad poo poo. It's equal parts :staredog: and :3:

https://thecourier.com/news/375510/findlay-man-rescuing-dogs-in-ukraine/

quote:

A Findlay man is in Ukraine to rescue dogs from the war zone and get them to Poland today.

Then Marc Pruitt, 66, plans to return to Kiev to take more dogs and cats to Romania. But time is running out: Russian missiles and bombs are getting closer to the high-rise apartment Pruitt occupies in Kiev.

Pruitt got permission from his boss to take time off from work at Best Buy Distribution Center. He got a bulletproof vest, donated from Hancock County Sheriff Michael Heldman. Then he got on a flight to Poland, all the while keeping his sisters in the dark about his plans while they exchanged text messages.

Pruitt is on a mission as part of a group he has been active with for years, called Transform a Street Dog. Based in San Francisco and Ukraine, the nonprofit rescues and rehabilitates street dogs in Ukraine.

“There’s a lot of dogs here (in Ukraine). Everyone loves dogs here. Seems like almost everyone has a dog,” he said Monday. “Unfortunately, there’s a lot of street dogs, too. We’re trying to spay and neuter the population.”

Spaying and neutering of dogs has not been as common in Ukraine as in the United States.

Pruitt and others will be taking 35 to 40 dogs in several vans on a 10-hour drive to a kennel near the border with Poland. Kennel workers will then take the dogs across the border into the safety of Poland.

Some dogs have not been so fortunate.

“The ones we were supposed to get earlier, the Russians have already got in there and they’ve killed most of them and some have just been starved to death,” Pruitt said. “It’s a horrible situation.”

Russian soldiers shoot dogs for fun, he said. Other dogs get killed by bombs.

“Some have died horrible deaths of starvation over the last two and a half weeks,” he added.

All of the dogs Pruitt has seen are afraid because of the horrible sounds and sights of war. Many do not want to eat. The dogs Pruitt and others will be taking to the Polish border today are in an area that is secure for now. Some were from other kennels. Others were abandoned in apartments, and still others are street dogs that have no home.

Pruitt is on the 15th floor of an apartment building in Kiev, staying with his new Ukrainian friend, Dennis. He has been on the mission for a week. He has been to Ukraine before, raising money for dogs and shelters and helping feed dogs. But he’s never been in a war zone before.

He flew to Warsaw, then traveled to another town on the Ukraine border. He said he waited five hours to get on a train for the Ukraine city of Lviv. He then made his way to Kiev a few days ago.

“It’s almost like a spy movie, because we have friends all over,” Pruitt said.

When he got to Warsaw, he was given an address to pick up some keys to an abandoned BMW car that would be waiting in Kiev. He’s had a taxi dispatched for him. He was told to make a stop in Krakow, (Ukraine) where he had to pick up keys to an apartment that had been donated.

Until he got to Kiev, he had not really seen anyone. But he never felt like he was out of harm’s way.

“It’s just so dangerous. There are areas where there are snipers. Word gets out. You’d get a text, ‘Don’t go there today,’” he said.

The pickup of dogs was delayed for another day due to reports of hazardous conditions.

“It’s just frustrating. We want to get out, get this done, pick up some more dogs. But we have a network of people tell us, ‘No, you can’t go to this city today because there’s a lot of activity,” he said.

The dog rescue routes, meeting times and days of travel often get changed.

After getting the dogs to Poland today, Pruitt plans to be part of a group that will take 45 cats and 30 dogs from Ukraine to Romania in a few days. The trip to Romania may take a day and a half. It’s a coordinated effort involving volunteers like Pruitt and others from Sweden, Poland and Ukraine. Pruitt is using multiple apps on his phone to communicate with the others.

But there is not an app for everything.

“We know that we’re running out of time. We can tell the bombing is getting closer and closer, the windows rattling,” he said. “I don’t know how much longer they can keep them away from the center of Ukraine.”

“We know our time is running out,” Pruitt added. “We’re going to keep going until it’s so dangerous you can’t.”

His sisters were in the dark about things for a while.

“They kept texting me. I kind of lied a little bit,” Pruitt said. “I was in Poland, which was true. And then I was at the border. And then, I told them, yeah, I was in northern Ukraine.”

“Finally I had to tell them I was here in Kiev,” he said. “I knew they would be angry and upset and worried, of course.”

“But my three dogs are being taken care of while I’m gone. I’ve also got my will on the table. I have everything laid out and people to adopt my dogs,” Pruitt said. “So I have everything taken care of if something happens.”

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

CommieGIR posted:

Not entirely. Not a disaster. The spent fuel can easily air cool if the ponds evaporate, its old enough. They would not melt down.

Technically you only have to keep spent fuel actively cooled for 5 years or so before its moved into spent fuel drums. Chernobyl that's been a slow process since, really, nobody cares versus an active nuclear plant.

A US company was actively providing casks and expertise for long-term storage before the conflict, yeah.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Basticle posted:

local to me, a guy who has been involved for years with a nonprofit that finds homes for street dogs in Ukraine, got a bullet proof vest from the local sheriff and flew to Poland for some crazy John le Carré underground doggy railroad poo poo. It's equal parts :staredog: and :3:

https://thecourier.com/news/375510/findlay-man-rescuing-dogs-in-ukraine/

I dated a girl for a long time who went to UF. Ohioans man

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Basticle posted:

Russian soldiers shoot dogs for fun, he said.

Єдиний хороший росіянин - мертвий росіянин

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

"We are being ill fed!"

Russian soldiers: "this is what we eat...." :smith:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Elviscat posted:

A US company was actively providing casks and expertise for long-term storage before the conflict, yeah.

The bigger issue is the pool does two things: Keeps the latent fission heat down, but also protects workers from excess radiation from the rods. Without the water, while the rods won't melt or anything, they'll be much more difficult to approach safely.

But thankfully power was largely restored last I heard.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
You remember how we were talking about letters of marque earlier? Well...

https://twitter.com/ScotlandDX/status/1503893185621278723?s=20&t=dnqeu2aonwNS0gNx0Y-2Kw

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

So Russias are just embracing their status as a rogue state and attacking everyone now?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tomn posted:

https://twitter.com/ScotlandDX/status/1503893185621278723?s=20&t=dnqeu2aonwNS0gNx0Y-2Kw

the fuckin balls on these guys lol

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

CommieGIR posted:

CommieGIR posted:

The bigger issue is the pool does two things: Keeps the latent fission heat down, but also protects workers from excess radiation from the rods. Without the water, while the rods won't melt or anything, they'll be much more difficult to approach safely.

Huh! Learn something new every day. I took a look at what IAEA has been putting out and they're saying the same. I could have sworn there'd been some concern over actual radiation leakage (not just the elevated readings we'd seen the first few days); maybe that was just bad reporting? IAEA does mention that power has been restored, yes.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I remember when some idiot American navy officer wrote an article about how we should hire PMC pirates to raid Chinese shipping and everyone thought it was an April fools day thing but he was 100% serious.

Russia is just seems to be copying the dumbest and most unhinged ideas only the most idiotic and psychopathic NATO war hawks could come up with one handed but doing an even worse job.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Tomn posted:

These might be old unless they attacked the queen again?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Looks like the US is starting to send Ukraine the really fun toys
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1503915138449031169?s=20&t=3ixFiFLd3PFoIEzLZJ3AVQ

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Herstory Begins Now posted:

They are old, it looks like a list of all ships hit, since they fit the definition of piracy

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It’s not piracy if it’s done by a nation state, that’s just an act of war.

But I always love posturing over NAVTEX, Turkey and Cyprus get into some nice pissing matches.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Once you mentioned it I went to look up Navtex archives myself and lemme tell you, it was kind of a bear finding it - ended up finding the message from some Latvian receiver online. Took some work but I managed to find two scrambled copies of the message received at different times. Notably, the second more damaged message preserves the bit that notes time and date of the message: 281750 UTC FEB 22, which is to say "February 28, 17:50 UTC, 2022."

So yeah, apparently it's an old message, though it's possible that whoever tweeted that message only managed to receive it today.

quote:

2022-03-12 22:24:16 (LV) AREA: T

ZCZC_S_
__QU_N_Y_SJ_,$: !3_ 22
UKRAINE COASTAL WARNING 98/22 ODESA-NAVTEX
BLACK SEA
NORTHWESTERN PART

_1. PIRACY ATTACK DANGE__GPJQZBM_E RUSSIAF FEDERATION IN THE
TERRITORIAL WATERS AND EXCLUSIVE MARINE
ECONOMIC ZONE OF UKRAINE
2. ACTS OF PIRATES BY NAVAL SHIPS OF THE
RUSSIAN FEDERATION CAPTURED VESSELS SAR
M/V SAPFIR M/V AFINA M/V PRINCESS NICOLE
3. A_TACKED M/V MILLENIAL SPIRIT AND
M/V NAMURA QUEEN
ALL VESSELS EXERCISE EXTREME CAUT_ON
NNNN

quote:

2022-03-04 02:20:15 (LV) AREA: C

ZCZC CA76
281750 UTC FEB 22
UKRA__YL__ZP
_KXYCV.__-:( '3-
,945_23'534, 0-45

1. PIRACY ATTAC_K ZA
I_O_MNI Z_FROM NA_V_ FEHC__KTW__AKH__OYJMIUI_RINE
_ETKOFYN_
_Q_WKO_EHW
_YYDKO_W
IJ_KU
Q_ATES BY NAVAL SHIPS OF THE_
RUSSIAN FEDERA
ION CA_TURED VESSELS JSAR
MXV SAPFI__ ED M_V MILL_NI_BAL SPCRIT AN
_M/Q _A_ULL QUE
G JEO _Y_
DU_R_Q0
1.8_=+=_UKRAINE COASTALQ WARNING 85/22__(9_DTNBUKEE_X NAVIGATION PROHIBITED
IN AREA BOUNDED BY
46-31.5___:_N 030-46.6E
46-30.9 N 030-49.8E
46-3_)$85__11_ 031-00.8E AND COASTLINE
NNNN

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://i.imgur.com/Qne5f7l.mp4

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, if it's above ground like Indian Point I'd be worried about any type of explosion rupturing the fuel pellets themselves and spreading their Curie content into the atmosphere. If it's below ground and they're below the decay heat level where they'll melt in free air, and there's no concern of a criticality incident, it's really not a concern from a radiological standpoint, since the only areas where gamma radiation would be a concern is directly over the holding pool, if drained, anyways. The IAEA has said decay heat's low enough that even if power's lost the fuel is not expected to melt if it remains covered in water, which I'd expect from fuel that hasn't been critical in a year, much less several.

Decay heat is a function of time squared after all.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

KitConstantine posted:

Looks like the Russians are gonna gently caress around with an amphibious landing in Odesa
https://twitter.com/CovertShores/st...ingawful.com%2F
I wonder what they will find out?

Perhaps that the water is 2 degrees Celsius? Or that the air is 0 Celsius? Whomst can say

As of yesterday it was said the Russian Army currently could not reach Odessa by land without severly exposing themselves and outrunning their logistics. So if they do perform an amphibious landing anytime soon it will most likely be unsupported. I am not sure they even have partial air superiority there. I cannot imagine them actually doing something so risky in light of all the f ups the past few weeks.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
A new video by Chris Cappy

https://youtu.be/Igq2fqa7RY4

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FrozenVent posted:

It’s not piracy if it’s done by a nation state, that’s just an act of war.

But I always love posturing over NAVTEX, Turkey and Cyprus get into some nice pissing matches.

Is there a good account on Twitter to follow or website to read these things?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

KitConstantine posted:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Did this get posted?

https://www.9news.com.au/world/russia-ukraine-update-ukraine-destroys-russian-helicopters/f7827408-25ca-4341-92d1-7ffb8a7ad124

Got at least 3 apparently

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That article also mentions that a fourth Russian general was killed yesterday in Mauripol.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

psydude posted:

That article also mentions that a fourth Russian general was killed yesterday in Mauripol.

Jfc I missed that

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Lmao

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1503719897062420482?t=YeiE81YnBvJ-elPrc3RvVQ&s=19

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ukraine claiming they're launching/have launched several counter-offensives against the Russians, so I'm guessing the airfield attack is part of that broader effort. I wonder if they'll be able to break the siege of Mauripol?

https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1504001010787921924

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
The window to launch any counter-offensive is soon closing. The next few weeks will be warm and sunny with temps not dropping below freezing at night, the North/East of the country is going to turn into a giant mud puddle. This also means the Russians have to try and close of Kyiv soon if the do intend on assaulting and taking the city. Otherwise they will be facing an even better equiped, manned, and prepared defense on all fronts.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
If the Russians are able to cut off the Ukrainian Army in the east, and encircle and start sieging Kharkiv and Mariopol, just exactly how bad would that be?

Bad? Or completely catastrophic?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I don’t see how Ukraine would launch a successful counter offensive. Russia continues to slowly advance almost everywhere besides Kyiv they’re just doing it badly. Trying to launch a counter attack would just get in the way of Russias own gently caress ups while also giving Ukraine the potential to make all the same mistakes themselves. It’d be like the tet offensive, which despite popular memory was actually a complete military disaster where the NVA tried to fight like they were the US army against the US army.

Does anyone know about Russian anti tank weaponry? I saw a video that said Russia doesn’t have any infantry weapons remotely as capable or any self-guided infantry weapon systems which makes it a weird situation where the Russian infantry likely cannot get a tank kill without a mobility kill first while Ukrainian troops can just fire off a NLAW or Javelin and run off and pop a tank.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It’d be like the tet offensive, which despite popular memory was actually a complete military disaster where the NVA tried to fight like they were the US army against the US army.

And yet it changed the US perception of the war so drastically that it effectively pulled the rug out from under the feet of the Johnson administration and eroded American resolve to win.

Most of the counter offensives Ukraine has engaged in so far have been to retake key terrain and deny access to MSRs for the Russians. I doubt they're engaging in massive operations to throw the Russians out entirely.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
https://twitter.com/PhilipinDC/status/1504033406971228164

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Bored As gently caress posted:

If the Russians are able to cut off the Ukrainian Army in the east, and encircle and start sieging Kharkiv and Mariopol, just exactly how bad would that be?

Bad? Or completely catastrophic?

Both, it just depends for whom and the timeframe.

On current information, also an 'if' that could be seen from space.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I don’t see how Ukraine would launch a successful counter offensive. Russia continues to slowly advance almost everywhere besides Kyiv they’re just doing it badly. Trying to launch a counter attack would just get in the way of Russias own gently caress ups while also giving Ukraine the potential to make all the same mistakes themselves. It’d be like the tet offensive, which despite popular memory was actually a complete military disaster where the NVA tried to fight like they were the US army against the US army.

Does anyone know about Russian anti tank weaponry? I saw a video that said Russia doesn’t have any infantry weapons remotely as capable or any self-guided infantry weapon systems which makes it a weird situation where the Russian infantry likely cannot get a tank kill without a mobility kill first while Ukrainian troops can just fire off a NLAW or Javelin and run off and pop a tank.

The tweet says that it's the UA Air Force doing the counter attack, which probably means pasting any forward supply. If ground forces are involved, I'd agree with psydude that they'll be limited to pinching lines of communication & supply before the mud season gets started in earnest.

UA's been doing a spectacular job bleeding the RU forces so far and I don't think they're likely to change practice.

As for Russian infantry-portable AT weapons: On paper? Quite competent. In the field? Wadded up newspapers behind a nosecone. Now that they're cut off from any supplies of new electronics, expect that situation to get worse.

I wonder how many hot showers the Russians are getting between two fresh-baked loaves of bread a day?

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The Soviet Union was pretty advanced for their time in developing anti tank guided missiles (AGTMs) you can read all about it here. Of note regarding your question, is the Metis system, which you could consider as contemporary to the US M47 Dragon (the predecessor to the Javelin).

Anything newer than the base Metis is probably not on hand for the Russians in significant numbers. And with this system, you need to guide it in on the launch unit through the wire the missile's pooping out as it flies, and you probably can't defeat a Ukrainian tank with it from the front or any parts of the side covered with ERA bricks (explosive reactive armor). Also, most missiles will now be old, their rubber gaskets all dried out, and troops might not have trained with them except for on a rusty mechanical simulator or an MSDOS-like computerized one. Also, the warhead itself might not be shelf-stable anymore, batteries for the guidance unit might be 'missing', all the stuff you can imagine with today's Russian Ground Forces.

Meanwhile, a Javelin will happily fly a low-to-high-to-low profile guiding in all by itself based on the infrared signature acquired before launch, stop for tea at the sandbagged cope cage, and then detonate on the weaker top armor straight into the turret and ammo carousel. So yeah there's a huge capability gap between Ukrainian man-portable ATGMs and anything the Russians can bring to bear.

Not that the tech itself is a sufficient condition for explaining lopsided engagements alone. For one, you mention NLAW, but there's a big difference between true guided missiles and good rockets (later types of RPG, NLAW). The latter are shorter-ranged, and best used in close terrain. Either side should have plenty of those and get good results when used properly, although NLAW is particularly advanced, but I'd gather the Ukrainians are the ones using them most succesfully in general, since they seem to be able to dictate the place, time, and tempo of confrontations for a variety of reasons.¹

There's also a class of weapons above those 'pure' man-portable ATGMs, like Konkurs (of which we've seen plenty over the last 10 years, it seems to work well) but you need to either lug it around with a couple of dudes and then put it on a tripod, or put it on top of a jeep-like vehicle or anything bigger; your armored troop carrier for example, or a dedicated tank-hunter vehicle. There should be a rough parity in capabilities between Ukraine and Russia based on the technical quality of the systems themselves - they use a lot of the same stuff for one - but again, a variety of reasons lead to different outcomes.

¹ For Russia: bad logistics, bad morale, bad leadership, bad tactics, bad maintenance, etc. All caused to some degree by a bad strategy in general.

e: clarity

Koesj fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 16, 2022