Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Payndz posted:

Putin's entire motivation for this seems barely comprehensible from a western point of view. He's the undisputed biggest fish of a nuclear-armed power, who could do pretty much anything he wanted without consequences within Russia and even beyond (see Salisbury), he's gained his country an enormous amount of soft power and money-hosed his assets and useful idiots into positions of importance in the west (Trump, Carlson, Nigel Farage and lots of Tories and right-Labour figures in the UK), acquired enormous personal wealth through running Russia like a mafia boss and taking a direct or indirect cut from any companies that want to operate in an expanding market, had the countries of Europe terrified of upsetting the bear for fear of economic retribution or having their gas cut off... and has just pissed all of that away, likely for decades to come, because he apparently still sees the world from a Cold War mindset of "everything Soviet is still Russia's, and NATO must be kept from our borders!"

Now he's united the EU, strengthened NATO, strengthened the case for NATO, wrecked his economy, encouraged countries like Germany to find ways to wean themselves off Russian energy as quickly as possible, got all his oligarch cronies sanctioned, made the west look seriously at anyone who's received Russian money, turned Russia into a pariah and exposed its armed forces as weak and incompetent (as well as getting a lot of people killed). And for what, even if he actually takes Ukraine? Some extra oil and gas fields in the Black Sea and a buffer state against an imagined Clancy-style NATO invasion?

It really beggars belief. I want to believe that he's not just completely mad, but I absolutely can't see what he stands to gain from here. And you haven't even mentioned the upcoming costs to rebuild their army, or the internal upset that will need managing when thousands of sons never come back from the "special military operation". It seems so incredibly irrational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
If you consider that maybe all the assets and successes and soft power Putin accumulated was merely a means to an end - the restoration of Ukraine and other territories into the bosom of Russia, or simply restoring mother Russia in a more abstract sense - then using them now was probably not irrational. Maye this was truly the best possible moment. The fact that it apparently was not enough must be incredibly frustrating.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FishMcCool posted:

It really beggars belief. I want to believe that he's not just completely mad, but I absolutely can't see what he stands to gain from here. And you haven't even mentioned the upcoming costs to rebuild their army, or the internal upset that will need managing when thousands of sons never come back from the "special military operation". It seems so incredibly irrational.

I think it would be in and out classic 20min imperial adventure and believed his own bullshit and everyone else lied because they wanted to live. Now they are in deep poo poo at will probably give in to a negotiated peace and I doubt many of the corps will come back or sanctions will leave. Also https://mobile.twitter.com/DeItaone...mber%3D590pti13

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think it would be in and out classic 20min imperial adventure and believed his own bullshit and everyone else lied because they wanted to live. Now they are in deep poo poo at will probably give in to a negotiated peace and I doubt many of the corps will come back or sanctions will leave. Also https://mobile.twitter.com/DeItaone...mber%3D590pti13

You should always take these offers with a massive grain of salt.

That said, any perceived capitulation might start a Ukrainian civil war at this point. I'd say recognition of DNR and LNR and Crimea especially.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

"DEMILITARISED UKRAINE LIKE AUSTRIA WITH ITS OWN ARMY " what the hell does that even mean?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

mobby_6kl posted:

"DEMILITARISED UKRAINE LIKE AUSTRIA WITH ITS OWN ARMY " what the hell does that even mean?

It means Ukraine agrees to not be part of NATO. Like Austria after 1956 or Finland. I.e,. formal agreed upon status as buffer state.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Threadkiller Dog posted:

If you consider that maybe all the assets and successes and soft power Putin accumulated was merely a means to an end - the restoration of Ukraine and other territories into the bosom of Russia - then using them now was probably not irrational. Maye this was truly the best possible moment. The fact that it apparently was not enough must be incredibly frustrating.

Russia continues to slide down the GDP charts, corruption is endemic and a way of life, their citizens are impoverished and controlled, their sphere of influence is shrinking and now all their neighbours are afraid of them and looking elsewhere. If Russia's worst enemy wanted to install a puppet in Russia with the aim of doing as much damage as possible to it over the last 20 years then they would do pretty much what Putin has been doing.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I just hope that a neutral Ukraine would not have the same love for Russian money as my neutral homeland.

Of the chancellors of the last 2 decades:

Wolfgang Schüssel worked for Lukoil
Christian Kern worked for RZD (Russian national railroad)
Alfred Gusenbauer supposedly was an advisor for Viktor Yanukovich

Our largest bank has significant business interests in Russia (in the form of RBI), same for several of our own billionaires, like Hans Peter Haselsteiner. We are also heavily dependent on Russian gas. And ofc the local Nazi party loves Putin, just like Salvini in Italy, Le Pen in France and the NPD in Germany.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

FishBulbia posted:

It means Ukraine agrees to not be part of NATO. Like Austria after 1956 or Finland. I.e,. formal agreed upon status as buffer state.
That's very much not demilitarized tho

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FishBulbia posted:

I get the Austria part, but how is it demilitarized if it it has its own army? Plus Austria is in the EU which would be good enough for now.

FishBulbia posted:

You should always take these offers with a massive grain of salt.

That said, any perceived capitulation might start a Ukrainian civil war at this point. I'd say recognition of DNR and LNR and Crimea especially.
Obviously, especially considering it's from a twitter rando citing russian propagandists. It's just talking hypothetical solutions really at this point.

Crimea's a done deal sadly, even if we could actually force the russians back into the black sea, they went through 8 years of propaganda and resettlements so it probably wouldn't be a peaceful return. DNR/LRN though, I don't know if anyone outside thoser regions really cares at this point either.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

I just hope that a neutral Ukraine would not have the same love for Russian money as my neutral homeland.

Of the chancellors of the last 2 decades:

Wolfgang Schüssel worked for Lukoil
Christian Kern worked for RZD (Russian national railroad)
Alfred Gusenbauer supposedly was an advisor for Viktor Yanukovich

Our largest bank has significant business interests in Russia (in the form of RBI), same for several of our own billionaires, like Hans Peter Haselsteiner. We are also heavily dependent on Russian gas. And ofc the local Nazi party loves Putin, just like Salvini in Italy, Le Pen in France and the NPD in Germany.

Maybe but after fighting there own version of the great patriotic war and probably holding out and eventually heading towards EU membership with a probable western Marshall plan helping. I am pretty sure they won’t trust Russia. Also Russian soft power and economic power is hosed now and probably for a long time too.

evil_bunnY posted:

That's very much not demilitarized tho

No poo poo. They are saving face now. I think they will still try to take Kyiv or Odessa at some point before the sign poo poo though.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
If Russia really wants to spin an Austria model as a win, they can be my guest. Nothing stops Ukraine from tearing up the treaties if they want to join NATO afterwards, and Russia wouldn’t invade the EU (or it might but it would be an even worse plan than the current invasion).

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

No poo poo. They are saving face now. I think they will still try to take Kyiv or Odessa at some point before the sign poo poo though.

Cool, well hopefully Ukraine can live with being a demilitarised country with its own army, a neutral state that's a member of the EU and having Zelenskyy step down so that the country can be lead by Zelenskyy

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

SourKraut posted:

Coming back from the dead would be another military advantage

Jesus is a hell of a medic too

His hat kind of sucks though and his skin is too different from the standard one

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Chalks posted:

Cool, well hopefully Ukraine can live with being a demilitarised country with its own army, a neutral state that's a member of the EU and having Zelenskyy step down so that the country can be lead by Zelenskyy

I think that's pretty much the gist of it. It's just them flooding the airwaves with garbage so they can make the truth whatever they say it is, and no matter what happens, they won.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gort posted:

I think that's pretty much the gist of it. It's just them flooding the airwaves with garbage so they can make the truth whatever they say it is, and no matter what happens, they won.

They did the same poo poo in Chechnya. I won’t be shocked if everything is left vague with a “it will be solved down the road/next term” like the treaty in the first Chechnya war ended.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
"Our mission managed to denazify Zelenskyy and his cadre. All those evil impulses are purged from them now! And we hope to have resume a great relationship in the future. No more sanctions necessary."

With his stupid Nazi comments, Putin really went all in on this war. If they retreat and the same Nazi leader is in charge of the Ukraine, I can't imagine how the typical Russian in Moscow would perceive it as anything but a failure. And strongmen really do not like to be percieved as weak, dumb failures. So yeah, he backed himself in a corner and wont give up anytime soon.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 16, 2022

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Comstar posted:

Why are the Russians only using 1-2 planes per strike? I thought all normal tactics would be to hit one small area with a lot of planes, instead of spreading them over the entire front.

This is actually a complicated question. The single answer is that nobody knows for sure other than Russia.

There are things known about Russia's air capabilities before the war and things that are happening during the war that can let people draw conclusions, but there isn't usually a single provable one of those. For example, before the war everyone knew Russia can't really lock down an airspace completely from the air like the US can. They don't have a large air tanker fleet or aerial resupply capability so they primarily use air bases to launch strikes from supported by targeted missile strikes and ground forces. Everyone saw the reports that they have 4,000+ military aircraft with hundreds of jets. They are also the #2 military power that have been arming for decades so munitions shouldn't have been an issue.

Since this is a unique conflict where the defender has extremely advanced anti-air the speculation of their possible tactics was that they would just use their bountiful long range missiles and overwhelming ground forces and take out the enemy Anti-Air capability so they could get more planes in the air to support them and more bases to launch from so they should have been able to conduct a huge amount of guided airstrikes from long range.

For some reason they seem to have drastically reduced the targeted missile strikes and their ground forces are completely stalled, leaving Ukrainian Anti-Air active everywhere.

Things we do know are weird, such as the halt of firing their larger long range missiles for some reason and using their Su-34s like WW2 style bombers dropping dumb munitions on enemy ground forces in places they haven't cleared anti-air
https://twitter.com/The_Lookout_N/status/1500394639047680007?s=20&t=HH7Mq0-Fff2Wlu0YTOnAXg
Which is how several Su-34s have been shot down so far.

So does this mean they only set aside X amount of missiles for the invasion and refuse to go over it? All other jet based guided munitions are reserved so strictly that they will use strike fighters to do a B-52 style bombing run?
Did they also only set aside so many medium range ballistic missiles and refuse to dip into their supply of those too? Sacrificing thousands of soldiers to preserve that stock?
Are they conserving the 95% of their paper airforce for that reason too? Strict preservation of a reserve force is why they are using the ones they have set aside for the invasion dangerously and poorly? They apparently have to use them even if it's dangerous but only have a small amount to use?
If Russia is so unconcerned with losses like a lot of their supporters keep claiming to justify the massacre of their forces then why are they not just flying hundreds of their jets and helicopters into the border cities to take them? If losses aren't a problem then why lose thousands of troops and some air forces in a 3 week poorly supported ground war for a border city?

I think depending on how much credit you want to give Russia it's either that they just can't actually field their air force due to corruption and poor maintenance or they are being so cautious with their amazing and unutilized reserve air force that they are letting the portion set aside for the invasion take massive casualties because they are so unconcerned with the loss when compared to the chart that claims they have 4,000 military aircraft and 700+ jets. That is the same logic for why they are losing what has to be tens of thousands of troops in this invasion while supposedly holding this giant million man army in reserve in Russia while refusing to use it. Are they that strict about preserving a homeland defense force that they will let a 200,000 person army get shredded or is this the capability of their force projection? Is this just raw incompetence and bad planning where they are suffering horrific losses they don't even know about that they didn't plan for so that's why they aren't using the reserves that actually do exist?

There are a lot of questions everyone can argue about constantly but all we know is that they are doing 1-2 jet strikes with dumb munitions to try and support a ground force that is losing thousands of vehicles and troops and are getting a bunch of them shot down. Ukraine's air force that is supposed to be 5%-10% as big is more visible and active than the one that is supposedly 10x-20x the size for whatever reason.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think there is any country who doesn't have ridiculous-rear end sounding weapons.

I wish Finland would name them like that. We used to have at least Pasi(PAssari SIsu (Armored Sisu)), Masi(MAasto SIsu (Off-road Sisu)) and Rasi(RAskas SIsu(Heavy Sisu))(Sisu is a Finnish company that builds heavy vehicles). The first two are Finnish male names and the third one is a last name, but mostly just goes well with the first two.
Now we have A2045, 40 KRKK 2005, AMV, CV9030 etc.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Deltasquid posted:

If Russia really wants to spin an Austria model as a win, they can be my guest. Nothing stops Ukraine from tearing up the treaties if they want to join NATO afterwards, and Russia wouldn’t invade the EU (or it might but it would be an even worse plan than the current invasion).

Even if they wanted to I don't think Russia could attempt an invasion on this scale for years and maybe up to a decade. Their military has been shown up as rotten to the core and is incapable of complex operations. It's not clear their doctrine is effective against a peer opponent either. The bulk of their equipment seems to be no match for modern western weapons and their most modern stuff is only available in small numbers. It takes a very long time to turn around a bad culture and also modernising the army and getting troops proficient with new equipment takes a while too. If they were to build up for an invasion it would be taken extremely seriously and any potential targets would almost certainly mobilise as soon as it was detected.

On the other side, you can bet that this war will be seared into the memories of Ukrainians and from the moment a ceasefire is declared preparations will be made for defense against a future invasion. I expect along borders and major roads there will be anti tank ditches, preparations to allow for rapid demolition of bridges and roads, works to allow fields to be flooded, prepared fighting positions and ambush locations, and so on. I also wouldn't be surprised if they set up a militia similar to Switzerland in addition to a professional army. They were caught off guard this time but I can't see it happening again.

In short, this was their one shot and they blew it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Pretty sure Ukraine would jump at the chance to come out of this with an agreement with Russia that they could end up like "Austria with its own army", since 'neutral' Austria is an EU member that has solid cooperation with NATO, and its chancellor said literally this week that NATO would help protect the EU as a whole from Russia, whether its individual members were in NATO or not.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Putin's operation was a great success. Many major russian-speaking cities are now badly damaged, AZOV fighters are seen as national heroes and russophobia among the general population is higher than ever.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sorry, Brown Moses. https://novayagazeta.ru/articles/2022/03/16/rkn-zablokiroval-saity-bellingcat-ust-kut-24-i-postimees-news

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Does anyone know how much trouble it would be to actually disband and disarm groups like Azov in context of a peace agreement? They only seems to count a few thousand people and only a minority of them seem to be genuine neo-nazis, while the Ukrainian standing army is hundreds of thousands of people now and could easily disarm them. On the other hand, they probably do have some sympathizers in the population and regular army that could get very vocal.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1504056537333043201

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

BoldFace posted:

Putin's operation was a great success. Many major russian-speaking cities are now badly damaged, AZOV fighters are seen as national heroes and russophobia among the general population is higher than ever.

Whenever I went to Ukraine before I exclusively spoke English or Russian. A lot of people in the west for some reason believe that speaking Russian in Ukraine is a political statement, it's not, no more than speaking French in Quebec is a least. The only people who'd care are the freaks who don't go outside much anyway. Cities like Odesa and Mariupol, Kharkiv were Russian speaking Ukrainian cities. There was no "contradiction" there.

After this I'm not sure. Putin has managed to create actual existing Russophobia!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

Even if they wanted to I don't think Russia could attempt an invasion on this scale for years and maybe up to a decade. Their military has been shown up as rotten to the core and is incapable of complex operations. It's not clear their doctrine is effective against a peer opponent either. The bulk of their equipment seems to be no match for modern western weapons and their most modern stuff is only available in small numbers. It takes a very long time to turn around a bad culture and also modernising the army and getting troops proficient with new equipment takes a while too. If they were to build up for an invasion it would be taken extremely seriously and any potential targets would almost certainly mobilise as soon as it was detected.

On the other side, you can bet that this war will be seared into the memories of Ukrainians and from the moment a ceasefire is declared preparations will be made for defense against a future invasion. I expect along borders and major roads there will be anti tank ditches, preparations to allow for rapid demolition of bridges and roads, works to allow fields to be flooded, prepared fighting positions and ambush locations, and so on. I also wouldn't be surprised if they set up a militia similar to Switzerland in addition to a professional army. They were caught off guard this time but I can't see it happening again.

In short, this was their one shot and they blew it.

yeah Russia is hosed for the next decade or so at least. this is 40s level devastation and Uncle sam isnt here to help them out again. i also wouldn't be shocked if you start to see the federation break apart and belarus try to get away from being under putins thumb.

Payndz posted:

Pretty sure Ukraine would jump at the chance to come out of this with an agreement with Russia that they could end up like "Austria with its own army", since 'neutral' Austria is an EU member that has solid cooperation with NATO, and its chancellor said literally this week that NATO would help protect the EU as a whole from Russia, whether its individual members were in NATO or not.

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1504052737230708736

yeeaahhh no. not yet at least, i suspect their was alot of other words and terms attached to that as well.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

GABA ghoul posted:

Does anyone know how much trouble it would be to actually disband and disarm groups like Azov in context of a peace agreement? They only seems to count a few thousand people and only a minority of them seem to be genuine neo-nazis, while the Ukrainian standing army is hundreds of thousands of people now and could easily disarm them. On the other hand, they probably do have some sympathizers in the population and regular army that could get very vocal.

These groups unfortunately have a position were just enough of the population is sympathetic to them that they're hard to deal with. Ukraine tried to crack down on foreign neo-Nazis coming to fight in 2016. But its always a balancing act.

Rebuilding peace time Ukraine after this will be a political nightmare for sure

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1504045102196572165?cxt=HHwWioC-qafDuN8pAAAA

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Russian air force

Is it possible that they just don't have enough pilots?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GABA ghoul posted:

i am pretty sure something would be worked out eventually. their big figure head just died last night so i can see them making some deal.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Payndz posted:

Putin's entire motivation for this seems barely comprehensible from a western point of view. He's the undisputed biggest fish of a nuclear-armed power, who could do pretty much anything he wanted without consequences within Russia and even beyond (see Salisbury), he's gained his country an enormous amount of soft power and money-hosed his assets and useful idiots into positions of importance in the west (Trump, Carlson, Nigel Farage and lots of Tories and right-Labour figures in the UK), acquired enormous personal wealth through running Russia like a mafia boss and taking a direct or indirect cut from any companies that want to operate in an expanding market, had the countries of Europe terrified of upsetting the bear for fear of economic retribution or having their gas cut off... and has just pissed all of that away, likely for decades to come, because he apparently still sees the world from a Cold War mindset of "everything Soviet is still Russia's, and NATO must be kept from our borders!"

Now he's united the EU, strengthened NATO, strengthened the case for NATO, wrecked his economy, encouraged countries like Germany to find ways to wean themselves off Russian energy as quickly as possible, got all his oligarch cronies sanctioned, made the west look seriously at anyone who's received Russian money, turned Russia into a pariah and exposed its armed forces as weak and incompetent (as well as getting a lot of people killed). And for what, even if he actually takes Ukraine? Some extra oil and gas fields in the Black Sea and a buffer state against an imagined Clancy-style NATO invasion?

This is why authoritarianism is so toxic to the entire world.

Authoritarian leaders amass power by betting and winning over and over again without major consequences from weakened democratic institutions until they finally have enough power to get 5-7 figures of people killed on one last bad bet.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Captain Kosmos posted:

I wish Finland would name them like that. We used to have at least Pasi(PAssari SIsu (Armored Sisu)), Masi(MAasto SIsu (Off-road Sisu)) and Rasi(RAskas SIsu(Heavy Sisu))(Sisu is a Finnish company that builds heavy vehicles). The first two are Finnish male names and the third one is a last name, but mostly just goes well with the first two.
Now we have A2045, 40 KRKK 2005, AMV, CV9030 etc.

I remember a long time ago on a peace mission in Syria and Lebanon you’d take a Sisu somewhere, as in it was a blanket term for all Finnish armored vehicles. Never realized it was the name of the manufact.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
"We'll have our army stop attempting to occupy your country once you dismantle your military" is kind of a hard sell after you've been shelling civilians for a week and a half

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

MadJackal posted:

Authoritarian leaders amass power by betting and winning over and over again without major consequences from weakened democratic institutions until they finally have enough power to get 5-7 figures of people killed on one last bad bet.

You should see what democracies can accomplish!

The general security interests of a state are not majorly shaped by gov. type, exceptions are of course messianic cults. how they attempt to fulfill those objectives is. and I'd also say the performance of their military is too.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

There are a lot of questions everyone can argue about constantly but all we know is that they are doing 1-2 jet strikes with dumb munitions to try and support a ground force that is losing thousands of vehicles and troops and are getting a bunch of them shot down. Ukraine's air force that is supposed to be 5%-10% as big is more visible and active than the one that is supposedly 10x-20x the size for whatever reason.

It's quite possible that this is all they are capable of, unless they want to go into full mobilization mode. Which would ruin the Kremlin's narrative that this is just a "special military operation" and not an invasion or war.

Russia's military budget is something around 62 billion USD, which is only 10 billions more than Germany and there are reports about the sad state the German army is in. So 62 billions to maintain a huge navy, including a fleet of nuclear ballistic missile submarines, thousands of military planes, ten thousands of armored vehicles and one of the largest strategic nuclear arsenals in the world. And all of that in a country with a GDP comparable to Canada or South Korea. On top of that there is massive corruption, meaning that whatever money is budgeted for training, spare parts, wages, etc...has a good chance to disappear in the pockets of oligarchs, local strongmen, corrupt officers or the mob. The average Russian conscript likely considers himself lucky if he's not victim of the Dedovshchina and gets a bowl of potatoe and onion soup a day.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeeaahhh no. not yet at least, i suspect their was alot of other words and terms attached to that as well.

I mean if the words, no outside help to build your military comes up, then I imagine its a non-starter.

Also, Russia is in a bind too if it has to commit more military to Ukraine right? Cause, wouldn't some of the places they are occupying/keep troops near start getting side eye about whether the Russian military can handle it?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean if the words, no outside help to build your military comes up, then I imagine its a non-starter.

Also, Russia is in a bind too if it has to commit more military to Ukraine right? Cause, wouldn't some of the places they are occupying/keep troops near start getting side eye about whether the Russian military can handle it?

I think russia is looking for some sort of decisive military victory before they have to come to the table or poo poo implodes on a bunch of levels, obviously that can happen but its much much harder now.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Speaking of redeployment:
https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1504056512955752451?cxt=HHwWhoC5jcDbvd8pAAAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

This is actually a complicated question. The single answer is that nobody knows for sure other than Russia.

There are things known about Russia's air capabilities before the war and things that are happening during the war that can let people draw conclusions, but there isn't usually a single provable one of those. For example, before the war everyone knew Russia can't really lock down an airspace completely from the air like the US can. They don't have a large air tanker fleet or aerial resupply capability so they primarily use air bases to launch strikes from supported by targeted missile strikes and ground forces. Everyone saw the reports that they have 4,000+ military aircraft with hundreds of jets. They are also the #2 military power that have been arming for decades so munitions shouldn't have been an issue.

Since this is a unique conflict where the defender has extremely advanced anti-air the speculation of their possible tactics was that they would just use their bountiful long range missiles and overwhelming ground forces and take out the enemy Anti-Air capability so they could get more planes in the air to support them and more bases to launch from so they should have been able to conduct a huge amount of guided airstrikes from long range.

For some reason they seem to have drastically reduced the targeted missile strikes and their ground forces are completely stalled, leaving Ukrainian Anti-Air active everywhere.

Things we do know are weird, such as the halt of firing their larger long range missiles for some reason and using their Su-34s like WW2 style bombers dropping dumb munitions on enemy ground forces in places they haven't cleared anti-air
https://twitter.com/The_Lookout_N/status/1500394639047680007?s=20&t=HH7Mq0-Fff2Wlu0YTOnAXg
Which is how several Su-34s have been shot down so far.

So does this mean they only set aside X amount of missiles for the invasion and refuse to go over it? All other jet based guided munitions are reserved so strictly that they will use strike fighters to do a B-52 style bombing run?
Did they also only set aside so many medium range ballistic missiles and refuse to dip into their supply of those too? Sacrificing thousands of soldiers to preserve that stock?
Are they conserving the 95% of their paper airforce for that reason too? Strict preservation of a reserve force is why they are using the ones they have set aside for the invasion dangerously and poorly? They apparently have to use them even if it's dangerous but only have a small amount to use?
If Russia is so unconcerned with losses like a lot of their supporters keep claiming to justify the massacre of their forces then why are they not just flying hundreds of their jets and helicopters into the border cities to take them? If losses aren't a problem then why lose thousands of troops and some air forces in a 3 week poorly supported ground war for a border city?

I think depending on how much credit you want to give Russia it's either that they just can't actually field their air force due to corruption and poor maintenance or they are being so cautious with their amazing and unutilized reserve air force that they are letting the portion set aside for the invasion take massive casualties because they are so unconcerned with the loss when compared to the chart that claims they have 4,000 military aircraft and 700+ jets. That is the same logic for why they are losing what has to be tens of thousands of troops in this invasion while supposedly holding this giant million man army in reserve in Russia while refusing to use it. Are they that strict about preserving a homeland defense force that they will let a 200,000 person army get shredded or is this the capability of their force projection? Is this just raw incompetence and bad planning where they are suffering horrific losses they don't even know about that they didn't plan for so that's why they aren't using the reserves that actually do exist?

Poor training and crap maintenance of aircraft I think explains a great deal of the situation but the issue of the munitions being used (and what is not being used) is trickier.

You can easily see how getting munitions to ground forces might be a challenge but those challenges aren’t really a factor with rearming aircraft. You’d just take them out of storage, load them on a plane and fly them straight to the forward operating bases the combat aircraft are flying out of. So I don’t think logistical difficulties explain it.

Poor training might explain it, maybe sophisticated guided munitions require a high level of training to use and their aircrews simply don’t have that so they aren’t being used.

It’s possible that the way Ukraine is deploying their AA is making anti radar missiles ineffective. Those mobile AA units would be quite good for giving a few quick scans of the radar before loving off someplace else before someone locks on to the signal.

It’s been mentioned before that maybe Russia’s stocks of weapons are much lower than estimated and they’re actually running out.

Maybe they simply can’t identify targets of military value to justify the use of precision weapons and instead decided the best use for their most modern fighter/bombers is bomb trucks to dump unguided munitions on random apartment blocks.

It’s an interesting question and I suppose there’s going to be a leak or something before too long that sheds some light on it.