Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So any news on that roadmap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Twigand Berries posted:

my boy here has the gift of tzeentch or some sort of complex or something hope he works it out

edit: also diplomacy kind of resets suuuuuper fast because I'm playing this campaign as a do what I want always but sell whatever diplomacy offers come to me and I go from the lowest rating of all (like I peace out for $$ and then attack the next turn) to Super Reliable over and over and the AI keep letting me do the same poo poo over and over.

edit2: I think they are terrified so kind of throwing the deals at me like they know it's the End of Days and like what even is money
Rulgor Breaker of Praag checkin out Praag like :wiggle:

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

You gotta let the guy break Praag before he’s replaced \o/

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

So any news on that roadmap?

It's never coming. They are going to sunset WH3 and announce their new gatcha title with historical figures that have been turned into scantily clad jpgs for mobile devices.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

any recs on fun demon campaigns? (except for khorne, khorne sux). im gonna bump difficulty to VH and play stoned so mostly i just wanna know which of the remaining 3 has the easiest start

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Slaanesh rules and running at an enemy unit and knowing it can't win the fight with 150+ speed N'kari is like ehehehehehehehehehehe

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fuligin posted:

any recs on fun demon campaigns? (except for khorne, khorne sux). im gonna bump difficulty to VH and play stoned so mostly i just wanna know which of the remaining 3 has the easiest start
What didnt you like about Khorne?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Basically the unresponsive units is what really kills the game for me right now, along with the bugged mass and some units not even working at all (the slaanesh chariots basically do nothing).

Recently lost a bastion defense as Cathay because apparently my units just spent the entire time milling around and getting stuck on things while marauder champions butchered them, and then mammoths just walked through all the celestial dragon guard garrison like they basically weren't there.

Oh yeah, and the towers for the bastions are bugged so they're garbage if you actually upgrade the main settlement :shepface:

There are so many old bugs from WH2 that made it into this game it's just kind of silly.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

RoyalScion posted:

Basically the unresponsive units is what really kills the game for me right now, along with the bugged mass and some units not even working at all (the slaanesh chariots basically do nothing).

I personally didn't find Slaanesh Chariots an issue. Like is this a known bug or something because I found they worked pretty darn amazingly in my campaign.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ravenfood posted:

What didnt you like about Khorne?

i just think he's boring

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

RoyalScion posted:

I haven't even played Slaanesh yet but yeah I shelved the game for now for the same reason. Getting units to carry out basic orders has often been a big chore compared to TWW2, especially in settlement battles and sieges. I imagine the Slaanesh units might feel a little better to use because of their speed, but if the units aren't even working for you that really sucks!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Tzeentch if you want to play with a army that's somehow even more annoying to fight then woodelves and the strongest T1 skirmisher infantry in the entire game by far.

Nurgle if you want to just turn your brain off for battles and blob fight and make artisanal plagues for every purpose.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I personally didn't find Slaanesh Chariots an issue. Like is this a known bug or something because I found they worked pretty darn amazingly in my campaign.

It's basically this:

https://clips.twitch.tv/ExquisiteFurtiveSoybeanKappaWealth-eZi3FRWM5V1bLRgo

Kind of applies to charge in general but chariots get the worst of it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fuligin posted:

i just think he's boring

Oh, I was worried it was the melee-centric gameplay. In that case Slaanesh is probably a good choice. Nurgle is fun too.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Blooming Brilliant posted:

They do functionally no damage, even elite chariots doing full on plowthroughs of infantry units. They're mobile enough and have enough mass that they don't die terribly easily, but they simply take forever to kill anything. It's extremely apparent when you compare them to Slaaneshi cavalry, or to use a chariot to chariot comparison, to war sleds or bloodcrusher chariots.

If I get a chunky rear end chariot rear charge from a tier 4 slaaneshi chariot into the back of a low tier infantry unit, that unit should evaporate like an ice cube hit with a flamethrower. Instead like 30 guys fly into the air, maybe two or three of them die, and then I need to path the chariot out ASAP before the 30 armor gets it killed by tier 1 spearmen.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

RoyalScion posted:

It's basically this:

https://clips.twitch.tv/ExquisiteFurtiveSoybeanKappaWealth-eZi3FRWM5V1bLRgo

Kind of applies to charge in general but chariots get the worst of it.

Idgi, Slaanesh chariots basically do nothing because... they have a lot of mass and can easily ragdoll infantry? Is it that they don't do damage while doing that? If so then I don't think you're supposed to do damage while colliding with things on move command...?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Staltran posted:

Idgi, Slaanesh chariots basically do nothing because... they have a lot of mass and can easily ragdoll infantry? Is it that they don't do damage while doing that? If so then I don't think you're supposed to do damage while colliding with things on move command...?

Some units have impact damage, i.e. they do damage when they ram into stuff. Chariots really need it to not suck rear end, especially when they are devastating flanker 30 armor paper chariots that die instantly in sustained combat.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Slaanesh are pretty fun as a concept. Fast and hard hitting but fragile. Their 'armor' seems to be just reducing enemy AP to nothing.

It's like an army of Florida Mans who just huffed a warehouse full of bath salts and are simply too manic and sweaty to be caught by the police.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Panfilo posted:

It's like an army of Florida Mans who just huffed a warehouse full of bath salts and are simply too manic and sweaty to be caught by the police.

ah i understand the whole sex thing with slaanesh now

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Slaanesh is an extremely fun roster to pilot. If they fix the chariots they'll be in the running for my favorite faction to play in TWW3.

Pretty much the only units that suck rear end(besides the broken chariots) are marauders, and you really don't need to use the marauders very much. They're your cheap anvil but you can anvil just as well with daemonettes(which, unlike marauders, will actually accomplish things in the process) until you get fiends who can then be your frontline.

If you time things well your anvil doesn't need to soak a lot of punishment before the multi-pronged alpha strike comes in, so your anvil doesn't necessarily need to be expendable chaff.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
With musk, poison, and spells you can reduce enemy MA and MD by quite a lot. Also the attack animations are neat, it's like ballerinas with pincers twirling around.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Twigand Berries posted:

ah i understand the whole sex thing with slaanesh now

Yeah it's definitely not anything but the most base pursuit of dopamine conducted by people who are more meth than man.

Noise marines are basically the best example of "Slaanesh"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Slaanesh highlights how annoying the new minor settlement maps are. So much speed to maneuver! Enjoy everyone clumping together and awkwardly squeezing past each other in a 3-fiend-wide street.

Also you have to fight all of them since it's the difference between taking basically no damage as you clown car your way to the capture point and losing half your health in close victory autoresolve, which takes like 5 turns to replenish. Great fun in field battles though.

I am still annoyed that setting your own faction hero camera to off somehow just doesn't work, and the game insists on showing your cultists traipse across the map on the way to their next cult target.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Whoever did the sky boxes should be lauded, I've put the cameras on cinematic for the first time and like it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Slaanesh highlights how annoying the new minor settlement maps are. So much speed to maneuver! Enjoy everyone clumping together and awkwardly squeezing past each other in a 3-fiend-wide street.

Also you have to fight all of them since it's the difference between taking basically no damage as you clown car your way to the capture point and losing half your health in close victory autoresolve, which takes like 5 turns to replenish. Great fun in field battles though.

I am still annoyed that setting your own faction hero camera to off somehow just doesn't work, and the game insists on showing your cultists traipse across the map on the way to their next cult target.

Honestly I find Slaanesh to be probably the most fun faction to do the new minor settlement maps with. You can split your army across the map during deployment, see where the enemy deployed in response, then use your insane speed to simply flood a weak point or run cavalry into an undefended gap so they're in the city and can do all kinds of shenanigans(like rear charging the enemies trying to hold off your main infantry push). The narrow streets work to your advantage because you're not penalized for splitting your forces thinly to hit multiple axes like you would be in a field battle.

If you are forced into a straight blob fight for some reason, well, your faction has lore of shadows and pendulum is currently the single most overpowered nuke spell in the entire game right now.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I did settlements by splitting into as many stable arms as I could, basically 2-4 units that could fight at a choke and not die to the enemy immediately. The funny part was when I got N'kari some gear and recruited a cultist hero on a 90 speed horse with summon spells. Those two + starting fiends of slaanesh. Later 2 soul grinders, though the grinders could be independent arms themselves.

This was a fist that violently penetrated the city. Any point they wanted they could tar pit and use their disgusting faction damage to overwhelm unless it was one of those AI decisions where they panic at the size of your force and put their entire army on the central point.

And lemme tell you when you play sneaky sneaky and cap open points it really hurts a lot of factions except like other Slaanesh, Ogres, or a good cav army Kislev. I've laughed many wins away watching Khorne, Nurgle and even Tzeentch forces try to use speed 20-40 to travel to new hot spots in a settlement fight.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I played an early game Slaanesh settlement defense where it was the chaos minor that is a basically a chaos star with four entry points and a central point without a tower. I put all of the marauders inside the center with some barricades and everything outside of that was playland for chariots and cavalry and it was a ton of fun.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I think as long as they make some changes to how often/where the AI can spawn towers, settlement fights are gonna be pretty fun. Smaller scale engagements and having to choose where to send your more mobile troops are a pretty interesting diversion from "attack move your army into the enemy army" or "wait for the enemy army to crumble under your 19 archer stack's firepower"

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Twigand Berries posted:

Whoever did the sky boxes should be lauded, I've put the cameras on cinematic for the first time and like it.
The skyboxes are pretty great. I like that you can look in the sky and try to find the chaos god watching you in their realm. I also liked the horned rat skybox in the second game and it hits the same spot.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Azran posted:

"wait for the enemy army to crumble under your 19 archer stack's firepower"

I keep telling myself i'll stop doing this but then skarbrand gets lit the gently caress up and I just smile.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

A change starting settlement mod has dropped and for me, personally, it is and always will be the greatest mod in getting value out of these games.

*completes starting quests on turn 184

but i want this province :(

OY, SKRAG! HEY COOK ME THAT THING YOU COOKED ME BEFORE HERE USE THE SKINNY BOOK MAN

I've got this one covered, Miao.

or you could, like....

Twigand Berries fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 16, 2022

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Azran posted:

I think as long as they make some changes to how often/where the AI can spawn towers, settlement fights are gonna be pretty fun. Smaller scale engagements and having to choose where to send your more mobile troops are a pretty interesting diversion from "attack move your army into the enemy army" or "wait for the enemy army to crumble under your 19 archer stack's firepower"

When you say "where the AI can spawn towers" are you thinking like the defender should have to capture a point to utilize its build location? It would make the minor scraps with your big army a lot less damaging and quicker if the defender was able to only deploy towers and blocks in areas they physically inhabit, but if the same applied to the player it would make those "unwinnable" defensive sieges more difficult.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Twigand Berries posted:

When you say "where the AI can spawn towers" are you thinking like the defender should have to capture a point to utilize its build location? It would make the minor scraps with your big army a lot less damaging and quicker if the defender was able to only deploy towers and blocks in areas they physically inhabit, but if the same applied to the player it would make those "unwinnable" defensive sieges more difficult.
I'm not speaking for Azran, but yes being able to build towers mid-fight is extremely obnoxious. You should get to place a few pre-battle and thats it, if that. The whole "generate supply points during the battle" thing is just really .... out there? It doesnt make any sense to me. I give zero fucks about how defensive sieges are affected by the change because I fight one defensive siege for every twenty offensive sieges and I'm burned the gently caress out on doing tedious painful grindy repetitive offensive sieges. 3K did sieges extremely well and CA took *zero* lessons from it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The AI just seems to always have resources to be building something. I remember being in a siege where I had cannons knocking out towers constantly, they just never stopped.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I just assume that the AI can infinitely respawn any towers they build(which, as far as I can tell, seems to be the case) and just assume that some segment of my army will be devoted to constantly busting towers until I can take the point. If I'm playing a daemon faction I usually bring a couple furies for the purpose and if I'm playing a human faction I just have some archers do it.

It's pretty dumb.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm not speaking for Azran, but yes being able to build towers mid-fight is extremely obnoxious. You should get to place a few pre-battle and thats it, if that. The whole "generate supply points during the battle" thing is just really .... out there? It doesnt make any sense to me. I give zero fucks about how defensive sieges are affected by the change because I fight one defensive siege for every twenty offensive sieges and I'm burned the gently caress out on doing tedious painful grindy repetitive offensive sieges. 3K did sieges extremely well and CA took *zero* lessons from it.

What lessons from 3K sieges?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
I just try to capture the control point linked to that tower. The one good thing about the system is it encourages you to actually push the base and not just cheese it with ranged/artillery all the time.

And playing late game Kislev gets fun with siege defense after a bunch of research. You'll have bonus leadership melee defense and ammo not to mention a whopping +500 supply /turn. Earlier today I had a couple minor settlement siege defenses vs Nurgle that were so much fun. I only recently discovered I can take one of those useless Dervishes (tier 3 walled settlement gives you 3 Dervishes and a lancer, ugh) and use them to bait slow melee units away from the walls. Vs nurgle this is a good way to lure away their annoying fly units.

Starting with 2800 supply means you can have a couple T3 towers immediately. In Zoishenk there's a much better walled minor settlement map that is a square in a corner of the map and it's easy to use the wall towers to devastate reinforcing armies that come in.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hunt11 posted:

What lessons from 3K sieges?
Minor settlements had 'unique' maps based on the minor settlement type - mines were different than farms were different than ports ect. They had set points that had little archer towers already existed, and those towers had little control points near them that were not as obnoxious to take (took less time, the towers couldnt shoot you while you took them). The towers were not absurdly tall, could not be rebuilt, did not have insane range, and could be shot by artillery or archers with flaming arrows to be disabled (1 for 4 here in WH3). They also didnt have any blockers so that the towers could not inexplicably not shoot something like happens in WH3.

Someone smarter than me could probably explain the major settlement battles, but they just.... feel better. It feels like there are plays and counter-plays without anything being obnoxious. The defender could put a few barricades down before the battle starts to help control the flow of the battle in the city, but couldnt build them on the fly. I'm too fried to think of anything else to say about it but there is just something about them that is way less taxing and tedious than any TWWH siege I've done.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Minor settlements had 'unique' maps based on the minor settlement type - mines were different than farms were different than ports ect. They had set points that had little archer towers already existed, and those towers had little control points near them that were not as obnoxious to take (took less time, the towers couldnt shoot you while you took them). The towers were not absurdly tall, could not be rebuilt, did not have insane range, and could be shot by artillery or archers with flaming arrows to be disabled (1 for 4 here in WH3). They also didnt have any blockers so that the towers could not inexplicably not shoot something like happens in WH3.

Someone smarter than me could probably explain the major settlement battles, but they just.... feel better. It feels like there are plays and counter-plays without anything being obnoxious. The defender could put a few barricades down before the battle starts to help control the flow of the battle in the city, but couldnt build them on the fly. I'm too fried to think of anything else to say about it but there is just something about them that is way less taxing and tedious than any TWWH siege I've done.

Thing is I have played 3k a lot and did have a lot of fun with sieges as the defender. As the attacker though anything past like turn 15 or so they all go the same with artillery just slowly moving up and tearing through everything before sending in the troops to clean it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

IIRC 3 Kingdoms also let most archer units switch to flaming arrows which were fantastic for clearing towers and burning down the little forts above gates. The towers could still be brutal if you didn't send in shielded troops to protect your archers, but it wasn't so bad if you just played around them. There were small towers inside cities that you could build barricades around to block off access to the capture points, which made cavalry useful in going around the side avenues to capture them. But if you just burned them down that was also fine as they couldn't be rebuilt. Fighting through all of this to capture the centre wasn't that bad in general.

Thankfully I've only ever seen the AI use the tier 1 tower in WH3 which can often just be ignored, but I've built the higher tier ones and I can only imagine how horrible it would be to have to fight under them. That the AI can ignore rebuild cooldown is really loving dumb and why I generally just capture points than waste ammo on T1 towers.

Honestly towers have never been very fun in any of the games. I think I'd prefer it if you had to have an archer unit man them to get increased ranged on their shooting like those little platforms you can build now.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 16, 2022