Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Comics is a useless term anyway (which is why it's used by Anglophones). The appropriate phrase is printed cartoon(s). It's even etymologically sound!

Of course this requires one to realize that Scott McCloud and about 100% of other complete idiots who have talked/written about "comics" are dead wrong in trying to artificially create a separation between "cartoons" and "comics" where none exists. (And then you have animated cartoons / cartoon animations but there's no issue of ambiguity there.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Shame Boy posted:

So what you're saying is they're free to sit in their cell forever until they go nuts from boredom

Literally forever because it sounds like it doesn't count towards their release. What a shithole lmao

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Milo and POTUS posted:

Literally forever because it sounds like it doesn't count towards their release. What a shithole lmao

Goddamn, quite literally "work sets you free."

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Comics is a useless term anyway (which is why it's used by Anglophones). The appropriate phrase is printed cartoon(s). It's even etymologically sound!

Of course this requires one to realize that Scott McCloud and about 100% of other complete idiots who have talked/written about "comics" are dead wrong in trying to artificially create a separation between "cartoons" and "comics" where none exists. (And then you have animated cartoons / cartoon animations but there's no issue of ambiguity there.)

shut the gently caress up

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
How about we meet in the middle and call them Printed cartoons for little babbies

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

:goofy:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

How about we meet in the middle and call them Printed cartoons for little babbies

"your little doodles you have there" is the preferred term when talking down to someone, i believe

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
How about "nerdfeed"??

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

ynohtna posted:

Goddamn, quite literally "work sets you free."

"The US has some good ideas"
- The NSDAP

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

How about "nerdfeed"??

Are Ikea instructions feed for nerds?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

they mean time for good behavior which is how some states let people get out a bit early.

this isn’t universal, the federal system has no time off for good behavior and also requires work.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

"The US has some good ideas"
- The NSDAP

Well, they did buy poo poo from IBM for a reason

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

My wife had never seen it so we watched it and she fell asleep half way through, because everyone remembers the funny general at the beginning and the funny Dr. Strangelove antics at the end and nobody remembers the like 40 minutes of slow plodding airplane scenes in the middle.

I still like it but I could totally understand people thinking it's boring idk :shrug:

Every scene with Mandrake and Jack Ripper is pure gold. "I'm equally sure they all died thinking of you. Every man Jack of them."

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Shame Boy posted:

Well, they did buy poo poo from IBM for a reason

Pretty much every part of the German army that was motorized (which wasn't that much to be fair) was running on GM trucks el oh el.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/TIME/status/1504760633342021645

:effort:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I think c-spam has very particular ideas about what happens to princes.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
lmao. It must be nice to be so blatant about it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I like that the question is who is to blame and two of those answers aren't even whos

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I wonder what sort of reaction they were hoping for with a question like this?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Tiggum posted:

I find that unless the style is quite simple, I have a very hard time making sense of black-and-white comic art. There have been a number of comics I've had recommended to me as good that I've not read just because they were black-and-white and I couldn't tell what was happening. Something like this Batman comic (picked arbitrarily from a quick search) is basically unreadable to me.

can you see your avatar

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Are we still talking about primer? The heartbreaking thing about primer is you could change <10% of the movie and take it from "confusing cult classic" to "well-regarded sci fi". There's all kinds of random boneheaded poo poo in there. Like there's a scene at the beginning where they have a little tchotchke they put inside the time travel drawer to see what happen, they pull it out and it's covered with yellow mold. They discuss the yellow mold, wondering what it is and where it came from.

Crucially, they do not show the tchotchke being removed from the drawer, and they do not show the yellow mold, they don't show what they're talking about at all. They do not use any actual nouns in the discussion of the tchotchke or the mold. There's no way of knowing what the gently caress these people are talking about. You have no idea what they're discussing until like 15 minutes later. The timeline is not why you have to watch primer multiple times, you have to watch primer multiple times because it does a terrible job organizing and presenting information, so you have no idea what the gently caress people are talking about half the time. It's genuinely a cool story, it's too bad it wasn't executed well. This is why upstream color is not as well liked: it's still carruth's "house style" but without time travel there to intentionally obfuscate the plot, it becomes clear he's accidentally obfuscating the plot, because he's bad at his job.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

McCracAttack posted:

The point of these kinds of questions is filtering for people smart enough to say what they want to hear. Eg. True believers, doormats, and bullshitters.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r8n6gpmYO71sxxjp9_720.mp4

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

McCracAttack posted:

It's not a test to find your opinion or the truth, it's a test to see if you are both clever and compliant enough to answer the way they obviously want

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Bloop posted:

It's not a test to find your opinion or the truth, it's a test to see if you are both clever and compliant enough to answer the way they obviously want

I mean I'm sure that's true in a lot of cases but every time I hear it repeated I just think "man y'all are lucky you've never worked with that guy". There are absolutely people out there who buy this stuff very earnestly and want to make sure you buy it too. They love working in HR, and they are Terrible.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That kid’s teacher is an rear end in a top hat

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy posted:

I mean I'm sure that's true in a lot of cases but every time I hear it repeated I just think "man y'all are lucky you've never worked with that guy". There are absolutely people out there who buy this stuff very earnestly and want to make sure you buy it too. They love working in HR, and they are Terrible.

Well sure, it also detects perfect toadies, but that's just a pleasant side effect

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

thats not a bad deal

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

AnimeIsTrash posted:

this movie looks like poo poo too, it's not even in color :confused:

gently caress you Barry Lyndon is a great movie

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021
https://youtu.be/pGneCkQppLk

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Having grown up near Alabama and Florida this doesn't even strike me as odd.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The only way this makes any sense is if there's an implicit "you can run a drug lab on our equipment".

I know it's "you'll be paid in experience", but that doesn't really make sense

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

how do you run out of grad students and postdocs

BonHair posted:

The only way this makes any sense is if there's an implicit "you can run a drug lab on our equipment".

this really still doesn’t make sense. maybe it’s a formality to hire someone from industry as a part of a larger partnership or something and they have to publicize all hiring opportunities.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

McCracAttack posted:

Having grown up near Alabama and Florida this doesn't even strike me as odd.

Yeah, the small business advertisement where it's clearly just Jesus as a brand is common as hell even in the educated parts of the bible belt.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ikanreed posted:

the educated parts of the bible belt.

Lol

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

We do have universities, you know.

Just because I witnessed somebody crash a tractor into the school manure pile in high school doesn't mean my best friend's parent weren't PhD scientists

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

ikanreed posted:

We do have universities, you know.

Just because I witnessed somebody crash a tractor into the school manure pile in high school doesn't mean my best friend's parent weren't PhD scientists

I'll have you know I've become a much better tractor driver since that incident and I'll thank you not to bring it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

BonHair posted:

"You'll be paid in experience"
(Candidates for this position must already have experience)