Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

I agree, but something will have to give. It's defacto russsian and short of Ukrainain tanks rolling through red square, it's not going back. The population is brainwashed / cleansed enough to not be in favor of that eihter. Russia absolutely should not be rewarded with such recognition of illegal anexation but Ukraine would have to have a decisive vicotry on the ground to maintain the status quo on this front.

I agree that Ukraine will have to make concessions in any scenario short of (unrealistic) internal collapse in Russia. I simply would like to note that at the moment the popular opinion is not there yet for Ukraine to concede Crimea. I could only _vaguely_ imagine them “selling” Crimea in exchange for Russia dropping “neutrality” demands, which I doesn’t feel like an offer Russia would ever entertain.

FishBulbia posted:

Ru prop channels showing fighting in central Mariupol now

My impression over yesterday was that Russia is successfully expanding its foothold in the city, establishing strongholds like that hospital. I can only hope that the word about them taking 500 people essentially hostage in that hospital is false, but the evidence on the ground, wrt Russian treatment of Ukrainian civilians, does lend some serious credence to the allegation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

Starstreak isn't likely to help against ballistic missiles. The operator needs to maintain a sight picture on the target. Ballistic missiles likely travel too fast. Even a fast moving jet will be difficult, though probably slightly easier at longer ranges.

Still, a MANPAD with a 4-mile (6.4km) range is no joke.

4.35 mile/ 7km range. :actually:

I'm sure Ukraine will welcome as many usable missiles as possible.

edit: numbers

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Youth Decay posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress. Russia bombed a theater in Mariupol full of people sheltering. loving direct impact, destroyed.

https://twitter.com/prm_ua/status/1504128225424855040

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1504130698466185216

Reports of up to 1000 people inside.

Russians have good aim when they want to. I feel sick.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Without, surely.

(referring to 'ending with/without razed Ukraine or Russian occupation)

No, I was just being clumsy with my words as usual. I actually do think that the idea that Russia can just stay and level the country is absurd. An occupation is impossible for practical reasons (not enough troops, population is too angry). If Russia really just starts systematically levelling cities and massacring civilians week after week - they will run out of ammunition and fuel. Ok, China might supply them, but I doubt that.

I can't see this ending any other way than a Russian retreat or defeat (either possibly claimed as a victory). Hopefully without foreign intervention. But Russia won't win this now. I was skeptical in the beginning that they could win, and have only become more so over time. At this point, I think it is inevitable that they must withdraw from Ukraine.

Ukraine is devastated, but not razed to the ground. I hope this will end sooner rather than later, as this means less devastation and loss of life in the end. Like the nihilists and egoists who want Ukraine to surrender or fall asap, so this can end - I want Russia to retreat or collapse militarily asap, so this can end. Because the longer it goes on, the more suffering, and the higher risk of intervention - which even though my heart cries out for it, I realize it carries too much risk of escalation.

So this must end with a Russian defeat. And yes, that does create some future problems regarding Crimea and internal Russian stability. Still, I believe it is inevitable, and China should be consulted on how to handle such an eventuality.

PederP fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 16, 2022

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Holy loving hell, that video that Zelensky showed Congress is absolutely heart-breaking. It suddenly got very dusty in my house.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Russia apparently moving in Armenians, Ossetians and Abkahzians now. In addition to the Wagner nazis, Syrian mercs and Kadyrovites.

Russia is suffering casualties but the reason for those losses seems to be logistics, training and morale. Not obvious how more people will resolve it. The question is if Russia is straight up out of non-conscript forces or Putin wants to minimize casualties in the regular forces for the sake of public opinion.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

Every such atrocity is an escalation, in addition to a crime against humanity. It is time the world starts warning Russia that they will be responsible if this escalates. China also needs to be asked to please use their power to end this by not siding with those who commit such evil. I believe there is a limit to what they will accept. It may seem absurd, but scale and appearance does matter in that regard. The Chinese government does not want to be seen as siding with evil.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Biden is being very general in what exactly they are sending. But if it's 9000 Javelin missiles, whoa nelly :smaugstare:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1504136862277017607

Previous cease fire position was just Russia's side of it. Ukraine is not having any.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Last time I checked these "rugged individuals" had violated a lot of people's rights, stolen their land and taken their freedom. The land of the free is soaked with the blood of slavery and genocide.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1504136862277017607

Previous cease fire position was just Russia's side of it. Ukraine is not having any.

Which is encouraging, because it means we're unlikely to see a deal worse than that. Now it's a matter of further negotiations and battlefield defeats to wear down that position.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

KitConstantine posted:

Of course Russian media and its troll army are claiming an Azov battalion was inside. It's Mariupol, the city has been loving blockaded for three weeks, why the gently caress would Azov be there? The people were sheltering in the theater because their homes were destroyed, where do the survivors go now?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Slight bright note - Russians reportedly released kidnapped mayor Ivan Federov
https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1504142600604987393?t=W6yyD0-y7UYcTpdrFVDJmQ&s=19

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hammerstein posted:

Last time I checked these "rugged individuals" had violated a lot of people's rights, stolen their land and taken their freedom. The land of the free is soaked with the blood of slavery and genocide.

Yeah but they weren't white so it doesn't count to him.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Hammerstein posted:

Look, we dont talk about Bruno no no no. Especially in TX.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gotcha, thank you for clarifying. I don’t necessarily agree on the military perspective quite yet, but it’s a fair take to have. I am, ultimately, sceptical that the Russian Federation as we’ve known it can survive the consequences of their actions without a generational transformation.

Trump posted:

Biden is being very general in what exactly they are sending. But if it's 9000 Javelin missiles, whoa nelly :smaugstare:

That would be over $1bn in Javelins. :smaugstare:

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Gotcha, thank you for clarifying. I don’t necessarily agree on the military perspective quite yet, but it’s a fair take to have. I am, ultimately, sceptical that the Russian Federation as we’ve known it can survive the consequences of their actions without a generational transformation.

That would be over $1bn in Javelins. :smaugstare:

American MIC needs business. Also this means US military get fresh new stuff. What we are sending to Ukr is our older stocks, many nearing end of shelf life anyway.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

AP news article from the only journalists that have been allowed into Mariupol. The death toll in this city is going to be far more than the 25,000 that has been previously quoted. If not from bombs, than from starvation.
:nms: for photos of dead/dying children https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-war-mariupol-descends-into-despair-708cb8f4a171ce3f1c1b0b8d090e38e3 :nms:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PederP posted:

Someone must be weeping at whatever Russian intelligence service was responsible for manipulating Germany energy policy and American politics to a degree that is almost an absurd claim on par with the discourse of the conspiracy subculture, also engineered by Russian psy-ops. Years of masterful work has been poured down the drain by not having a dictator and military to match the skill of these master manipulators.

100 years from now, alt-history nerds will be all over this stunning discrepancy. It really is mind-boggling that such extremes of competence and incompetence co-existed in the same system.
It makes sense if you consider what actions align with making money. The more dependent you can make the Germans on gas the more money you make, with political dependency just being a happy outcome. On the military side of things, the way you make more money is cutting costs or selling things off.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

The question is if it can get there. That strike by Lviv was meant to send a message that western aid is not going to be viewed as benign.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FishBulbia posted:

The question is if it can get there. That strike by Lviv was meant to send a message that western aid is not going to be viewed as benign.

Its going to get there at this point. The strike on Lviv didn't change anything, and nobody was under the impression that Russia couldn't strike at supplies before.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Morrow posted:

Which is encouraging, because it means we're unlikely to see a deal worse than that. Now it's a matter of further negotiations and battlefield defeats to wear down that position.

also https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1504135065571368966 even that would be very bad for putin. putin doesnt have any good endings right now.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Youth Decay posted:

AP news article from the only journalists that have been allowed into Mariupol. The death toll in this city is going to be far more than the 25,000 that has been previously quoted. If not from bombs, than from starvation.
:nms: for photos of dead/dying children https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-war-mariupol-descends-into-despair-708cb8f4a171ce3f1c1b0b8d090e38e3 :nms:

do you mean 2,500?

also, I cant imagine going INTO Mariupol right now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zhanism posted:

American MIC needs business. Also this means US military get fresh new stuff. What we are sending to Ukr is our older stocks, many nearing end of shelf life anyway.
Good, sounds like a win-win-lose (for russians) type of deal

CommieGIR posted:

Its going to get there at this point. The strike on Lviv didn't change anything, and nobody was under the impression that Russia couldn't strike at supplies before.

Plus it looks like we're getting more SAMs in finally

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1504135065571368966 even that would be very bad for putin. putin doesnt have any good endings right now.

Cool and good if real

can't see no recognition of Crimea though

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
A women who used to be a friend of my wife, has gone totally nutso. Wife stopped talking to her well before Trump got elected, when this idiot told her that Sandy Hook was staged with actors. So saw this tweet today. A real WTF?

https://twitter.com/sarabellag/status/1503959314255339521?s=21

Insane.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FishBulbia posted:

Cool and good if real

They keep saying this, and this appears to be entirely from the Russian perspective. So I'd continue to take it with a grain of salt.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

This is the same package as before that includes recognition of Russia's claims to Crimea and the separatist republics, which are sticking points for Ukraine (and something resembling a win for Putin.)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FishBulbia posted:

Cool and good if real

Ukraine is not going to cede Crimea. They will at best leave it as contested.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

FishBulbia posted:

I believe it was more of terror tactic against foreign volunteers. Ukraine could use the less hardened and experienced volunteers for labor, rear territory patrol/sentry duty, etc. Not to mention the propaganda effect of foreign volunteers. The russian strikes in the west had the effect of killing, maiming and scaring off many of the currently barracked volunteers - and likely also had an effect in deterring some who might be on the fence about returning.

If there is a resurgence of international news of volunteers arriving, I believe Russia will try to repeat the strike. It was less against foreign supply of material and more a strike against the (supposedly) thousands of volunteers.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

What does legal status mean?

Deteriorata posted:

Having occupied lands is a complete block to any possible EU or NATO membership - it could be argued there's a realpolitik benefit to ceding those lands (short of NATO attacking Russia, I don't see how else Ukraine gets de facto control back one day).

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

FishBulbia posted:

do you mean 2,500?

also, I cant imagine going INTO Mariupol right now.

No, 25,000 was the last number I heard. Mariupol is a city of over 400,000. Was. It's being shelled constantly, bombed daily, all civilian targets. The dead aren't even being counted as they are thrown into the mass graves.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

all he needs is an ending that he can spin as a victory and it seems the above would fit the bill

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Comically bad take it was done by the planter and merchant classes to seize economic and political power from an empire that didn't know how to deal with a early industrial satellite state because they were mercantilists and their economic model worked on centralizing industry.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Deteriorata posted:

Okay, and Russia is not going to stop any time soon unless it gets that, even with its losses.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Whenever people bring up Peter Schiff, I like to point out this audio clip from an interview with Samantha Bee. Schiff was complaining about the minimum wage and was trying to argue that some people are only worth $2/hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yITfyHYQTlw

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zlodo posted:

all he needs is an ending that he can spin as a victory and it seems the above would fit the bill

Guys: This is what Russia is saying it wants: Right now, Ukraine is not going to be neutral, unless Russia is just drumming this up for internal consumption, nearly none of these would be acceptable for Ukraine.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Youth Decay posted:

No, 25,000 was the last number I heard. Mariupol is a city of over 400,000. Was. It's being shelled constantly, bombed daily, all civilian targets. The dead aren't even being counted as they are thrown into the mass graves.

I know about Mariupol. Never got the chance to go there tho.

25k though, my brain just doesnt register that I cant believe it

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zlodo posted:

the holy poopacy posted:

This is the same package as before that includes recognition of Russia's claims to Crimea and the separatist republics, which are sticking points for Ukraine (and something resembling a win for Putin.)

all of this is russias outline of things still i was more posting Grozev point where russia is deeply hosed if this is what their demands are. and they probably won't fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FishBulbia posted:

Okay, and Russia is not going to stop any time soon unless it gets that, even with its losses.

Ukraine still thinks it can win this war. They're not going to concede anything as long as they believe that.